07-23-2023, 11:51 AM   #1
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

M3 CS - Yellow DRLs

Hi,

So I guess this has been asked in various ways with regards to the standard G80 M3. The answer there is to simply swap out the LED modules and you go from white to yellow.

The question I have is

Seeing as the LED module in the CS (specifically) switches from yellow to white depending on whether the headlights are on is there a way to code the car to keep it on yellow permanently as opposed to buying new modules?

From my understanding Yellow DRLs are not illegal in the UK but I think our cars share the same setup as the EU.

Cheers - sorry if there is a solution/answer to this exact question but I couldn't find it
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2023, 08:53 PM   #2
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

PM over to kubax86 and ask the coding guru. He’s done great stuff for me in the past on several Ms.
      07-23-2023, 10:04 PM   #3
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
If I'm not mistaken the CS/ CSL has dual LEDs. And changing to the yellow DRLs, and recoding isn't going to give you the white without the white LED being there. When cars were much easier, back in the 1990s, all you would have to do was add the second bulb color, and use a relay to switch colors.

When the parking lights were on the stalk, you could use the parking lights for yellow, and switching to headlights, the relay would switch, the yellow LED off, and switch the white LED on, with the headlights, today, it's far more complicated.

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 04:28 AM   #4
HudsonHornett
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CSL, BMW X3MC

It’s definitely possible. Joe Achilles has yellow DRLs on his M3 Touring. They stay permanently yellow. I think I prefer the way mine works. White when the lights are not on and yellow when they are.
      07-24-2023, 06:20 AM   #5
worsy
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 due Sept 1st!

Not sure whether last reply is talking cross purposes here.

I think the OP is asking whether it possible to code the CS lights to stay yellow as opposed to white/yellow depending on application.

The aftermarket modules as fitted by Joe Achilles on his car are a binary change from white to yellow and do not use two different colour settings.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Crap58.00
      07-24-2023, 06:51 AM   #6
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by worsy View Post
Not sure whether last reply is talking cross purposes here.

I think the OP is asking whether it possible to code the CS lights to stay yellow as opposed to white/yellow depending on application.

The aftermarket modules as fitted by Joe Achilles on his car are a binary change from white to yellow and do not use two different colour settings.
Yes exactly.

Can you code the car so that the yellow DRLs stay on irrespective of the headlamps being on or off. Comparisons vs a standard G80 is irrelevant as they are always white so the whole module needs changing
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 07:14 PM   #7
BmwFanBoy94
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4CS

It can be done.

It was mentioned in the CS thread by bordins

He coded his Italian car to stay yellow and offered to do it for me for a price. I’ve been DM’ing him now that I’ve got my car but now he’s not replying

I’ve got the yellow only modules so I’m considering just changing out to those, but would prefer just using the OEM modules.

Also bear in mind, bordins said that once the car is updated, by yourself or BMW, you’ll have to recode the lights back to yellow. With the yellow only DRL modules, they’ll stay yellow regardless.
Appreciate 1
Dr.Crap58.00
      07-25-2023, 05:31 AM   #8
Dr.Crap
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanBoy94 View Post
It can be done.

It was mentioned in the CS thread by bordins

He coded his Italian car to stay yellow and offered to do it for me for a price. I’ve been DM’ing him now that I’ve got my car but now he’s not replying

I’ve got the yellow only modules so I’m considering just changing out to those, but would prefer just using the OEM modules.

Also bear in mind, bordins said that once the car is updated, by yourself or BMW, you’ll have to recode the lights back to yellow. With the yellow only DRL modules, they’ll stay yellow regardless.

Thanks - It may be easier just to do that - but more expensive!
Appreciate 0