BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-06-2022, 02:19 PM   #45
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
Todays update:

Received a call from BMWNA Corporate Office. Have direct contact info for my case rep. She stated she doesn’t have any answers yet, but everyone who needs to be involved in this from BMW, is involved. We discussed BMW picking up the lease payments while my car is down.

She wanted to confirm I had a loaner.

No update from my dealer as to the ETA on the engine that they told me I’d have yesterday.

She said she’d get in contact with me next week.
Hi. I've been following this thread and I'm absolutely shocked with your situation. I've been waiting for my car since august and that's been hard enough, yours puts mines into 'first world problem category'.
I'm not sure how I'd handle things with this, but when I read your comment regarding them picking up the lease I have to say that's the minimum I'd accept. Shit happens I get that but this seems wrong to me, why have you got to sit this out and hope they pick up the cost for the time your not behind the wheel of this car. What about all the other factors playing into this for you (I could only imagine it's not ideal)
They should build you a new car ASAP, give you a decent loaner until it's with you and then some.
You didn't buy into their issues and I'm sorry but it's struck a raw nerve with me.
Think you've handled it exceptionally so far.

Good luck 🤞
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #46
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Todays update:

Received a call from BMWNA Corporate Office. Have direct contact info for my case rep. She stated she doesn’t have any answers yet, but everyone who needs to be involved in this from BMW, is involved. We discussed BMW picking up the lease payments while my car is down.

She wanted to confirm I had a loaner.

No update from my dealer as to the ETA on the engine that they told me I’d have yesterday.

She said she’d get in contact with me next week.

Stupid question but how do you get a case opened? Is it opened automatically with the recall or do you have to call BMWNA? I would like to open one. Also I was told that as of now my X3M only needs the bearing shells repaired and not an engine replacement. Not sure what they saw different with yours vs. mine as I would have thought we would all end with the same resolution.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:34 PM   #47
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
Hi. I've been following this thread and I'm absolutely shocked with your situation. I've been waiting for my car since august and that's been hard enough, yours puts mines into 'first world problem category'.
I'm not sure how I'd handle things with this, but when I read your comment regarding them picking up the lease I have to say that's the minimum I'd accept. Shit happens I get that but this seems wrong to me, why have you got to sit this out and hope they pick up the cost for the time your not behind the wheel of this car. What about all the other factors playing into this for you (I could only imagine it's not ideal)
They should build you a new car ASAP, give you a decent loaner until it's with you and then some.
You didn't buy into their issues and I'm sorry but it's struck a raw nerve with me.

Good luck 🤞
I agree I’ve handled this well up to this point but I ask myself, what else I should be doing. Like seriously, what else should I be doing or demanding at this point? I know none of this was my fault, but should I demand a non-existent M8 loaner? Should I demand an immediate breaking of my lease with no penalty and the immediate delivery of a new M3 specc’ed to my liking?

I’m not saying this in jest. I know these things are not reality so what should I be doing other than what I’m currently doing? I’m not happy and I want to be compensated but I’m not sure what else I can ask for at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 06:36 PM   #48
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
Stupid question but how do you get a case opened? Is it opened automatically with the recall or do you have to call BMWNA? I would like to open one. Also I was told that as of now my X3M only needs the bearing shells repaired and not an engine replacement. Not sure what they saw different with yours vs. mine as I would have thought we would all end with the same resolution.

Thanks
I made a few phone calls and sent a few emails. Shockingly the emails got up the food chain and actually made it to where I intended them to be sent. I think emails are better than calls. This also coming from an attorney.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #49
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

Got a call from the service manager of the dealership. The engine order is in process. He doesn’t have an ETA, but “is thinking” they should have it around the 17th. I said “of January?” which he confirmed. I think this is extremely optimistic, but let’s see.

He said he’ll update me once he has shipping confirmation.
Appreciate 2
GixY2K517.00
M4Tejas771.50
      01-07-2022, 11:08 AM   #50
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Today’s update:

Got a call from the service manager of the dealership. The engine order is in process. He doesn’t have an ETA, but “is thinking” they should have it around the 17th. I said “of January?” which he confirmed. I think this is extremely optimistic, but let’s see.

He said he’ll update me once he has shipping confirmation.
Agreed. Emails work even better when you get the other party to reply or communicate using the same so that it stays on record. Phone calls are almost hearsay. It would be nice if you start to exchange communications via email with your service manager, just in case there are questions of what was said in the future (like dates).

Hope this gets resolved in a timely manner.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 11:24 AM   #51
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
Agreed. Emails work even better when you get the other party to reply or communicate using the same so that it stays on record. Phone calls are almost hearsay. It would be nice if you start to exchange communications via email with your service manager, just in case there are questions of what was said in the future (like dates).

Hope this gets resolved in a timely manner.
Yup. Thanks.

I also am documenting each phone call with the date, time, individual, and the topics of discussion. Obviously this isn’t as good as email, but it helps tell part of the story.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-07-2022, 03:20 PM   #52
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Good luck 🤞
I agree I’ve handled this well up to this point but I ask myself, what else I should be doing. Like seriously, what else should I be doing or demanding at this point? I know none of this was my fault, but should I demand a non-existent M8 loaner? Should I demand an immediate breaking of my lease with no penalty and the immediate delivery of a new M3 specc’ed to my liking?

I’m not saying this in jest. I know these things are not reality so what should I be doing other than what I’m currently doing? I’m not happy and I want to be compensated but I’m not sure what else I can ask for at the moment.
I appreciate your reply and hope I didn't upset you.
I was just voicing my own feeling I guess and as I pointed out, you've handled it as best you can given the situation.
Hopefully the engine arrives on the 17th or shortly after and you can start to enjoy the car you paid for.

Thanks.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #53
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate your reply and hope I didn't upset you.
I was just voicing my own feeling I guess and as I pointed out, you've handled it as best you can given the situation.
Hopefully the engine arrives on the 17th or shortly after and you can start to enjoy the car you paid for.

Thanks.
Definitely didn’t upset me. If I let a random forum poster upset me in this situation, I’d have bigger problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 08:31 PM   #54
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Does anyone know what is the likely cause of this issue?
Could it be an ongoing design issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:02 PM   #55
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabmw View Post
Does anyone know what is the likely cause of this issue?
Could it be an ongoing design issue?
If I were to guess and assuming the main bearing shell supplier is only one, they probably ran into a batch of material quality issues which could explain how they were able to narrow down the dates of the recall.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 12:30 PM   #56
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If I were to guess and assuming the main bearing shell supplier is only one, they probably ran into a batch of material quality issues which could explain how they were able to narrow down the dates of the recall.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #57
parabmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 m4

Last edited by parabmw; 01-09-2022 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 03:46 PM   #58
uncboysetsfire
Rep

Just got my X3M back from the service department today. Paperwork indicated that 5 affected bearing shells were replaced. Nothing seem out of the ordinary or different on the 22 mile trip back home from the dealership. To summarize I brought it in on 12/16 and brought it home on 1/10.
Appreciate 2
GixY2K517.00
chicagofan0019134.00
      01-10-2022, 03:50 PM   #59
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just got my X3M back from the service department today. Paperwork indicated that 5 affected bearing shells were replaced. Nothing seem out of the ordinary or different on the 22 mile trip back home from the dealership. To summarize I brought it in on 12/16 and brought it home on 1/10.
Good to hear! Glad you have your car back!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #60
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

I suppose now one of the important things to figure out is why we have one example of 5 bearing shells being replaced (and a presumably satisfied customer with a car that sounds like it came through surgery OK), and then Knighted's car which needs a new engine. It would be one thing if the former car's engine got inspected and didn't need new shells, but with 5 getting replaced, this is a pretty big discrepancy between these two vehicles' respective service visits.

Any additional info you learned about your XM?
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-10-2022, 07:03 PM   #61
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
I suppose now one of the important things to figure out is why we have one example of 5 bearing shells being replaced (and a presumably satisfied customer with a car that sounds like it came through surgery OK), and then Knighted's car which needs a new engine. It would be one thing if the former car's engine got inspected and didn't need new shells, but with 5 getting replaced, this is a pretty big discrepancy between these two vehicles' respective service visits.

Any additional info you learned about your XM?
Vastly different outcomes. My dealer did say this was case by case so maybe my engine was in worse shape and requires replacement. Either that or one of us is royally getting fucked.
Appreciate 2
GixY2K517.00
      01-10-2022, 09:17 PM   #62
uncboysetsfire
Rep

I specifically mentioned that a member of the forum was told that an engine replacement was recommended and mentioned that I would have thought that these recalls would all be handled the same way. Considering all of our cars are new. I was told that my shells actually looked really good and he did not know why the engineers would recommend one solution vs. another and that it was case by case. I did not hear what specific measurements or data was sent to the engineers but the decisions certainly came from above.

I apologize for being overly wordy but to recap they sent the info to the engineers and then a decision was rendered. I am too tired to speculate as to why they are being handled so differently but maybe there will be more clarity as more cars go in for the fix and hopefully people post.
Appreciate 3
G80indy1714.00
isenc2145.00
      01-11-2022, 09:18 AM   #63
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I specifically mentioned that a member of the forum was told that an engine replacement was recommended and mentioned that I would have thought that these recalls would all be handled the same way. Considering all of our cars are new. I was told that my shells actually looked really good and he did not know why the engineers would recommend one solution vs. another and that it was case by case. I did not hear what specific measurements or data was sent to the engineers but the decisions certainly came from above.

I apologize for being overly wordy but to recap they sent the info to the engineers and then a decision was rendered. I am too tired to speculate as to why they are being handled so differently but maybe there will be more clarity as more cars go in for the fix and hopefully people post.
This is my understanding as well. The engine is pulled, bearings are pulled, pictures are taken and sent up the food chain to the engineers who make the determination on the fix. Its possible not every car needs an engine, however it was determined in my case, that my car requires a replacement. There is basically nobody posting that there cars are currently in for the recall. There's a few who have appointments scheduled. I guess we'll see if uncboysetsfire or I am the outlier once others start getting their repairs/replacements done.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 09:27 AM   #64
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The latest (as of 1/10/22):

I sent a confirmatory email on 1/9/22 rehashing the various phone conversations I had over the past week. The rep from corporate called me first thing yesterday confirming the engine is on order, but there is no ETA. She stated the dealer has more insight into actual delivery.

I advised her that the SM from the dealer was estimating 1/16/22 or 1/17/22 for the engine. She stated she would get in contact with the dealer and call me back.

20 minutes later she calls back and advises she spoke to the SM who stated his "best guestimate" is 1/16/22 or 1/17/22 but there is no ETA and they won't know until it ships (or possibly even winds up at the dealer).

I don't anticipate having many answers until 1/17/22 comes and goes. I have no faith that my engine will be at the dealer by 1/17/22. Under the best of circumstances, forgetting supply chain issues and covid, it could've been possible, but I don't see that happening now.

I'll continue to wait, document my saga, and see what ultimately happens.

There's always the possibility of going down the lemon route, but in reality, I love the car. I don't want to force a buy back. If I do go the lemon route, I'd prefer if I could get an immediate (or relatively quick) replacement rather than a buy back since then I'm stuck back out in the cold bitter car market. Ultimately I just want my car back.

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-11-2022 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
isenc2145.00
      01-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #65
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow, great updates guys!

To recap my situation. My M4 falls within those dates shown on the original recall, but every time I check online or with my dealership, it comes back as not having a recall.

Now, to throw another variable to the equation.

I wonder if BMW is triaging this recall by type of ownership. Meaning, leases take priority over financed, and those over paid in full. Since they want to show due diligence on vehicles they own or the bank owns vs. customer. But I think I'm just a little paranoiac in this respect.

Or triaging based on miles driven per day; which this information could be pulled from over the air connection, right? Meaning, vehicles that are being daily-driven take priority over garage-queens.

The reason I'm thinking this is happening is because we haven't heard of too many others affected, and is probably because BMW Co., doesn't overwhelm the dealerships with pulling and taking apart engines and having to provide loaners and space to store a new car in their dealerships.

Either way, this sucks! Specially for such an otherwise great machine.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #66
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, great updates guys!

To recap my situation. My M4 falls within those dates shown on the original recall, but every time I check online or with my dealership, it comes back as not having a recall.

Now, to throw another variable to the equation.

I wonder if BMW is triaging this recall by type of ownership. Meaning, leases take priority over financed, and those over paid in full. Since they want to show due diligence on vehicles they own or the bank owns vs. customer. But I think I'm just a little paranoiac in this respect.

Or triaging based on miles driven per day; which this information could be pulled from over the air connection, right? Meaning, vehicles that are being daily-driven take priority over garage-queens.

The reason I'm thinking this is happening is because we haven't heard of too many others affected, and is probably because BMW Co., doesn't overwhelm the dealerships with pulling and taking apart engines and having to provide loaners and space to store a new car in their dealerships.

Either way, this sucks! Specially for such an otherwise great machine.
I think you're overthinking it regarding the priority, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for the slow roll out, I could definitely see it being to not overwhelm the dealers and BMW. I scheduled this 3 weeks out just to get a loaner. The dealer, which is very large and brand new, with a huge shop, is only working at half capacity due to COVID and they have next to no loaners available. Appointments are needed weeks out for a loaner. If there were 500+ cars all in for this recall simultaneously, all needing engines, it could be a major issue.

Hopefully I'll look back in the not so distant future and not care about it anymore.

Btw...mid afternoon update:

SA texted me today and let me know the parts director of the dealership informed him that the ETA of the engine is the end of next week. Hope that holds!

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-11-2022 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00