BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

12-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #23
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
So as we all know, the poster stating this was only impacting MT cars is not correct. I just got off the phone with my SA who called to schedule the service for the recall on my M3 comp.

He was looking at the diagnostic while on the phone and his words were "surgery, but it doesn't look to be too bad." From his understanding, its not a full engine pull. His review indicates its an oil pan drop which will make the inspection (and repair if needed) possible.

He also stated they inspect first as not every car identified by BMW will need to be fixed.

The tech will be a BMW M certified master tech (whatever that means I know it shouldn't mean a low level tech).

He also said he expects me to have my car back within a week.

My car is set to go in for surgery on 12/27/21. I'll keep everyone posted.
Ugh that sucks. Is there a working link or at least a screenshot of the recall I'd like to send to my SA and have him run my VIN.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 08:59 AM   #24
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Ugh that sucks. Is there a working link or at least a screenshot of the recall I'd like to send to my SA and have him run my VIN.
I don't have anything. I can see if my SA will provide me something when I go back.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 09:56 AM   #25
Murf
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't have anything. I can see if my SA will provide me something when I go back.
Thx bud.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #26
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

Got into a new loaner and had a very frank discussion with my SA.

I told him I don’t like being lied to and I expect to be kept in the loop with something as serious as this. I told him I’m not some old man that has no idea what’s going on. I’m in-tune with what’s going on.

He understood and said he’ll keep me updated.

Car is currently under the knife. The affected bearing is bearing #2. He said this could result in a new engine which was kicked around here, but this is the first I’ve heard directly from anyone at BMW on the subject.

He said that’s worst case scenario but he did say it’s a possibility.

Once the bearing gets pulled, the TSE needs to inspect it and advise what the repair is. If it (or the new bearing goes in), there will be a series of road tests before they give the car back to me.

Best case scenario = reinstall bearing or replace bearing and get car back sometime next week.
Worst case scenario = replace engine and I’m driving a 5 series for the foreseeable future.

I’ll update when I know more.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #27
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Today’s update:

Got into a new loaner and had a very frank discussion with my SA.

I told him I don’t like being lied to and I expect to be kept in the loop with something as serious as this. I told him I’m not some old man that has no idea what’s going on. I’m in-tune with what’s going on.

He understood and said he’ll keep me updated.

Car is currently under the knife. The affected bearing is bearing #2. He said this could result in a new engine which was kicked around here, but this is the first I’ve heard directly from anyone at BMW on the subject.

He said that’s worst case scenario but he did say it’s a possibility.

Once the bearing gets pulled, the TSE needs to inspect it and advise what the repair is. If it (or the new bearing goes in), there will be a series of road tests before they give the car back to me.

Best case scenario = reinstall bearing or replace bearing and get car back sometime next week.
Worst case scenario = replace engine and I’m driving a 5 series for the foreseeable future.

I’ll update when I know more.

Thanks for the update. I have an X3M comp but since the recall is the same I have been following intently. At least you have some sort of update and progress. I was told today it’s still a waiting game so going on day 14 without my car and no real update.

I look forward to the day when we can put this recall past us and just enjoy the cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:04 PM   #28
Murf
Captain
Rep

Just emailed my SA and he was able to check my VIN against the SIB. I'd suggest proactively reaching out if you are concerned.

He did not share the actual doc.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #29
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
Thanks for the update. I have an X3M comp but since the recall is the same I have been following intently. At least you have some sort of update and progress. I was told today it’s still a waiting game so going on day 14 without my car and no real update.

I look forward to the day when we can put this recall past us and just enjoy the cars.
Doing what I can and I’ll continue to provide the info I receive. Not saying what I know is the end all be all, but I think I’m the first one on the forums actively going through the “fix” so maybe it will shed some light.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-03-2022, 09:14 AM   #30
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today's am update:

TSE submitted photos of the bearing on Friday. (Not sure who these photos get sent to, but assume its higher ups at BMW M engineering). The TSE has been advised that they now need to pull the oil pump and check the crankshaft and submit additional pictures.

My SA says this is the most up to date info he has.

I can't even imagine what my car looks like right now.

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13440.50
      01-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #31
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today's afternoon update:

TSE confirms engine replacement needed. Here we go.

For those of you who are in (or may be in) my situation, I'd suggest you contact your SAs asap.

(Yes, I am serious).

Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13440.50
isenc2145.00
      01-03-2022, 04:32 PM   #32
Murf
Captain
Rep

Damn bud, that is fucking awful. How long to get an engine, do they even have them in the US or does it have to come from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 04:51 PM   #33
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Damn bud, that is fucking awful. How long to get an engine, do they even have them in the US or does it have to come from Germany.
The estimate is “a few weeks” which I think is overly optimistic.

Has to come from Germany. Fucking blows!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #34
uncboysetsfire
Rep

Quote:

Has to come from Germany. Fucking blows!
Thanks for the heads up I will call my SA tomorrow. I didn’t have a great feeling since my X3M has been in there for over 2 weeks now.

Two questions for those more in the know than me. Is the engine replacement preferred over having individual bearing wheels replaced in the long run for reliability and resale? Also is it likely that all of these impacted vehicles will need replacements? Guess I should’ve waited to complain about the brake noise and could’ve let the other cars be the guinea pigs. Oh well.

Thanks again for the update.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:10 PM   #35
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
Thanks for the heads up I will call my SA tomorrow. I didn’t have a great feeling since my X3M has been in there for over 2 weeks now.

Two questions for those more in the know than me. Is the engine replacement preferred over having individual bearing wheels replaced in the long run for reliability and resale? Also is it likely that all of these impacted vehicles will need replacements? Guess I should’ve waited to complain about the brake noise and could’ve let the other cars be the guinea pigs. Oh well.

Thanks again for the update.
From what others have said (as well as my SA), the engine replacement seems to be preferred as it will be built and ready to drop in, rather than splitting open your engine for a repair, but I’m no pro.

The only benefit to being one of the first is that we should be done first (you would think) and there won’t be a ton of cars waiting for engines. Not sure that’s really a benefit, but I gotta look for the positives where I can find em.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #36
uncboysetsfire
Rep

Quote:
From what others have said (as well as my SA), the engine replacement seems to be preferred as it will be built and ready to drop in, rather than splitting open your engine for a repair, but I’m no pro.

The only benefit to being one of the first is that we should be done first (you would think). Not sure that’s really a benefit, but I gotta look for the positives where I can find em.
I am right there with you and completely understand. Hopefully the first time we get in there and open it up we will forget all about it. It is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:09 AM   #37
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:

The only benefit to being one of the first is that we should be done first (you would think) and there won’t be a ton of cars waiting for engines. Not sure that’s really a benefit, but I gotta look for the positives where I can find em.
I personally would prefer a new engine. It would also seem more cost effective from BMW's perspective.

I would only check for dings, scratches, or blemishes on the paint around the engine bay, if I were you.

So, one general question.

How does the mileage of the car get reported in these cases? The car has X number of miles already, and you're dropping a brand new engine with zero miles. Will the odometer get reset to zero or keep its original mileage?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 08:46 AM   #38
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
I personally would prefer a new engine. It would also seem more cost effective from BMW's perspective.

I would only check for dings, scratches, or blemishes on the paint around the engine bay, if I were you.

So, one general question.

How does the mileage of the car get reported in these cases? The car has X number of miles already, and you're dropping a brand new engine with zero miles. Will the odometer get reset to zero or keep its original mileage?
Funny. I had that same exact question. Odometer never changes. Service manager stated that a motor could be replaced at 30k miles and the odometer would stay the same; it never gets rolled back.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-04-2022, 11:53 AM   #39
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

The dealer should have an ETA on the engine tomorrow.

What nobody seems to be able to answer for me is whether the engine comes by air or sea. The dealer "thinks" it should come air freight since there won't be any hazardous materials inside, but not confirmed. Hope to know more tomorrow.

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-04-2022 at 12:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #40
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
"A few weeks"

Good luck though.
      01-04-2022, 04:24 PM   #41
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
"A few weeks"

Good luck though.
Thanks. Here’s to laughing at your misfortunes too!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #42
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Thanks. Here’s to laughing at your misfortunes too!
Mine is at 1.5 months waiting for one small part. A whole engine, I can't imagine they have spares sitting around. I'm assuming 2 months to ship an engine at the earliest.

I'd keep an eye on the Ordering forum to see who lost an allocation as that may be where your engine is coming from.
      01-04-2022, 06:18 PM   #43
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Mine is at 1.5 months waiting for one small part. A whole engine, I can't imagine they have spares sitting around. I'm assuming 2 months to ship an engine at the earliest.

I'd keep an eye on the Ordering forum to see who lost an allocation as that may be where your engine is coming from.
I agree; I don’t think it be quick, but I also have to assume this is “high priority” for BMW. It’s not one of the however many hundreds or thousands of cars waiting on RAM, etc. I may be naive, but I’d think this is being handled more efficiently than most things people are waiting on.

Also, this is a sold customer car that’s “on the street” which I’ve been paying for, not a car that hasn’t been sold yet.

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-04-2022 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 01:58 PM   #44
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Todays update:

Received a call from BMWNA Corporate Office. Have direct contact info for my case rep. She stated she doesn’t have any answers yet, but everyone who needs to be involved in this from BMW, is involved. We discussed BMW picking up the lease payments while my car is down.

She wanted to confirm I had a loaner.

No update from my dealer as to the ETA on the engine that they told me I’d have yesterday.

She said she’d get in contact with me next week.
Appreciate 2
GixY2K517.00
isenc2145.00