BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

11-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 comp San Marino Status 112

non high end/easy on ceramic coating recommendations

I'm debating how to manage the paint on my San Marino blue M3, and given the dark color I'm sure it will be prone to swirls and scratches showing up.

I'd like to know if any of the forum members have had luck with the non high end ceramic coatings, as I don't really have the patience for the full prep and clay bar coating etc required, especially in the winter.

Would I be better off sticking with my Zaino routine? In the past I have had great results with Zaino, at least on lighter colors, but I haven't owned a color this dark before. Plus the Zaino is really easy to apply.

I'm a bit hesitant to try the Turtle wax or Griott ceramic entry level "easy on" sprays, especially since there have been some individuals that claimed streaking despite a lot of prep work. Is it worth giving these a try?
      11-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
There are tons of spray on paint sealants that are very easy to apply and don't necessarily require all the up front paint prep. Of course the results will always be better if you prep the paint, but if you are just getting started and don't mind reapplying the coating every few months (depending on what product you use), sealants work just fine.

Personally I'm a fan of CarPro products and their spray sealant is called Reload. Also Gyeon has a few good products I've tried. Cure is their spray sealant and they also have Can Coat that is a small step above the sealant and not quite to the full coating type products. Can coat can still create high spots though if you aren't careful.

Lots of other good brands as well. Gtechniq, P&S Beadmaker are a few of the others I've tried as well.

If you hand wash your car yourself having a coated car, either sealant or full coating, is a game changer and makes the process so much easier. Bugs, road grime etc. come off so much easier.

A sealant will not protect against swirls, most of the swirls that occur in paint are as a result of the wash process employed. If you use a solid 2 or 3 bucket method and dry the car appropriately you should be able to limit the amount of swirls that occur. PPF will of course solve this problem also but it's quite costly depending on where you are. In Cali PPF can get crazy expensive.
Appreciate 2
amzbimmer299.50
jayh74843.50
      11-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #3
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Before I discovered ceramic coating, I used Griot's Garage paint sealant. Easy to apply, limited prep required .. but results aren't nearly as durable as coatings. Since then I've relied on Carpro Cquartz. To date I've used their namesake product, but I just ordered CQuartz UK 3.0 for applying to my M4. I'll hand wash the M4 (foam pre-wash, two-bucket method, blow dry, yada yada), and I don't mind applying coating occasionally (and doing all the prep steps). My priorities are durability (standing up to road salt, etc) and ease of application, given I'll be applying two coats, plus a top coat of CQuartz Lite. In your case you might consider a single coat of CQuartz Lite to at least get you through winter.
Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      11-28-2021, 08:46 PM   #4
2022m3x
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 comp xdrive

If looking for ceramic coat comparisons, Scott HD on YouTube does long term testing on various ceramic coating products that I found helpful.
Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      11-29-2021, 01:52 AM   #5
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
For cheap, yet effecting ceramic coatings, I would look at carpro c quartz UK 3.0 or GTechniq CSL (Crystal Serum Light). I would check out some YouTube videos on those. But if you want something easy that just offers unbeatable longevity for a wax, I would go with Soft 99 Fusso Coat (Dark or Black for darker cars. It also comes in a white can for lighter cars). This stuff will bead like a ceramic coating, for over a year, and out last some of the cheaper ceramic coatings, if you can believe that. The can pictured, is the older formulation, which some people this is better than the new formulation. I would try to find this version.
Attached Images

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 11-29-2021 at 02:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 05:52 AM   #6
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
For cheap, yet effecting ceramic coatings, I would look at carpro c quartz UK 3.0 or GTechniq CSL (Crystal Serum Light). I would check out some YouTube videos on those. But if you want something easy that just offers unbeatable longevity for a wax, I would go with Soft 99 Fusso Coat (Dark or Black for darker cars. It also comes in a white can for lighter cars). This stuff will bead like a ceramic coating, for over a year, and out last some of the cheaper ceramic coatings, if you can believe that. The can pictured, is the older formulation, which some people this is better than the new formulation. I would try to find this version.
One of the reasons I am hesitant to go with the high end ceramic coating is my understanding that you are not supposed to apply them when it is freezing cold (as it is now in the northeast). I'm a bit concerned with ending up with hazing or high spots.

Sounds like Soft 99 Fusso is actually a fluoropolymer (synthetic sealant) rather than a wax, like many other brands they just call it a "wax". I may try that next if the spray on ceramic coating options don't go as well. I figure if I use a spray on ceramic now, and I feel adventurous I can switch to the higher end ceramics you mentioned next year.
      11-29-2021, 04:28 PM   #7
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amzbimmer View Post
One of the reasons I am hesitant to go with the high end ceramic coating is my understanding that you are not supposed to apply them when it is freezing cold (as it is now in the northeast). I'm a bit concerned with ending up with hazing or high spots.

Sounds like Soft 99 Fusso is actually a fluoropolymer (synthetic sealant) rather than a wax, like many other brands they just call it a "wax". I may try that next if the spray on ceramic coating options don't go as well. I figure if I use a spray on ceramic now, and I feel adventurous I can switch to the higher end ceramics you mentioned next year.
Yes, its a whole other ball game in freezing temps. And some people that want to apply ceramics in a cold environment, want to get one of those jet heaters to heat up the garage or building, to warm the room up. But the kerosene that emits from it, gets teh fumes in the coating and makes it act funny.

Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      11-29-2021, 05:45 PM   #8
merlin3008
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

I'm planning on going with Cquartz UK but I'm going to wait until we see temps in the 50s or 60s here. I hate to wait two or three months but I'll be ok.
2016 M235i xdrive, Alpine White, Terra Leather, Orbit Gray Wheels (Sold)
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13024.50
      11-29-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin3008 View Post
I'm planning on going with Cquartz UK but I'm going to wait until we see temps in the 50s or 60s here. I hate to wait two or three months but I'll be ok.
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Cquartz 3.0 which came with a small bottle of reload.

I'm going to try at least one or two rounds of the reload to give myself some protection in the winter, at least until it warms up. Hopefully it's a mild winter.
Limegrntaln13024.50
      11-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #10
merlin3008
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Cquartz 3.0 which came with a small bottle of reload.

I'm going to try at least one or two rounds of the reload to give myself some protection in the winter, at least until it warms up. Hopefully it's a mild winter.
Good plan. I have a bottle of reload so I might try to same thing. Let's touch base in the spring and compare notes on the UK 3.0. I've applied cquartz lite before but never UK.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:08 PM   #11
M2 CCO
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [8.75]
I think you will like the CQuartz UK 3.0. I had applied it to my M2C. It's very easy to apply and is very hydrophobic. You will want to use the reload as a top coat to help protect against water spots. That's why they provide it in the package generally.

I used CarPro Gliss V2 as the top coat on my M2C and used Reload as the top coat on my sons car. Both work great as top coats or as stand alone sealants.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 11:24 PM   #12
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
CarPro hyro2, spray on wet car after thorough wash. Rinse off. Best to use a pressure washer but can use a good hose and nozzle. However you only get 1-3 mos of protection.

Also if you like to do a bit more there is CarPro lite. Which is an easier ceramic coating to put on than UK 3.0. More user friendly
Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      11-30-2021, 06:16 AM   #13
merlin3008
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
CarPro hyro2, spray on wet car after thorough wash. Rinse off. Best to use a pressure washer but can use a good hose and nozzle. However you only get 1-3 mos of protection.

Also if you like to do a bit more there is CarPro lite. Which is an easier ceramic coating to put on than UK 3.0. More user friendly
Thanks man. What is your opinion of the protection and longevity of UK vs. Lite? I've used Lite and it could not have been easier.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 06:34 AM   #14
amzbimmer
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks, now I wish I had bought Carpro lite! Oh well, hopefully the 3.0 isn't too tricky. Any particular steps we should be careful with on the UK 3.0?
themnmd1687.00
      11-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #15
bgexpress
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LSB E46 M3

I ordered Avalon king for my car, they market themselves as extremely DIY friendly. Found it through the VINWIKI YouTube channel.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:51 AM   #16
Chad11491
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 IOMG M3 6MT

good call on CQUK 3.0. It's pretty easy and forgiving to apply. I have that on my wife's car and had it on a mustang previously. I used CSL+Exo for my last car and my M3 just to try something else and have really liked it.

What I find helpful to avoid any mistakes is I have great lighting in my garage, but will have a floor lamp plugged in and move it around to make sure I haven't missed any spots as I do each panel. Once I'm done I'll move the car outside into natural light to look for high spots again. I've never had any high spots or any other issues doing it this way.
Appreciate 1
amzbimmer299.50
      11-30-2021, 09:36 AM   #17
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgexpress View Post
I ordered Avalon king for my car, they market themselves as extremely DIY friendly. Found it through the VINWIKI YouTube channel.
I have a bottle of this also but I will wait until spring to apply. I have Gyeon wet coat that will hold it until then.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 08:08 PM   #18
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Great recommendation. I'll be applying two coats of Cquartz UK 3.0, then top that with one coat of Cquartz Lite. I have the benefit of a climate-controlled garage, so outdoor temps are less of a concern.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1687.00
      11-30-2021, 08:11 PM   #19
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad11491 View Post
good call on CQUK 3.0. It's pretty easy and forgiving to apply. I have that on my wife's car and had it on a mustang previously. I used CSL+Exo for my last car and my M3 just to try something else and have really liked it.

What I find helpful to avoid any mistakes is I have great lighting in my garage, but will have a floor lamp plugged in and move it around to make sure I haven't missed any spots as I do each panel. Once I'm done I'll move the car outside into natural light to look for high spots again. I've never had any high spots or any other issues doing it this way.
Same here, relative to lighting. I probably spend as much time inspecting for high spots as I do evening out what I've applied. Beside LED ceiling lights I have a variety of Scangrip lights I move around or hold.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:41 PM   #20
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man. What is your opinion of the protection and longevity of UK vs. Lite? I've used Lite and it could not have been easier.
If memory serves UK last up to a year and lite up to 3 months. Uk is more difficult to apply
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 10:44 PM   #21
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks, now I wish I had bought Carpro lite! Oh well, hopefully the 3.0 isn't too tricky. Any particular steps we should be careful with on the UK 3.0?
Take your time ! Do all the prep meticulously. Watch a few videos on YouTube, there are ones just CP UK . Pan the organizer is a good one,he is a car detailer , lots of useful videos
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2021, 10:48 PM   #22
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Quote:

Great recommendation. I'll be applying two coats of Cquartz UK 3.0, then top that with one coat of Cquartz Lite. I have the benefit of a climate-controlled garage, so outdoor temps are less of a concern.
Be sure to put on some type of top coating such as CarPro reload. Ceramic coatings have tendency to get water spots when newly applied ( I want to say the instructions say 3 days) Reload will help mitigate that . Best of luck
Appreciate 0