BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

09-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

MSS HAS Springs Installed X DRIVE G80 Pics!!

I do think this is the first X drive that is dropped and posted here?? Once again Ben aka r33_RGSport and his partner Alo did the de part on my PB G80 and reinstall on this Adventurin Red G80 X Drive.

Edit: these are the same exact MSS HAS springs I had on the RWD model and they are great.

Thoughts early on... I once again took the same roads home and tested the car on some unique canyon turns and it was really hard to discern the suspension feel from my RWD G80 and this X Car. Obviously the drive shaft up front does have some minute changes of steering wheel but thats exclusive of the drop. The MSS linear spring rates are great as you know Ive said and nothing changed here with the X car. It still soaks up the bumps well but maintains the lack of bounce we all want (I use Sport for EDC).

Ben did say it will take just a bit longer to lower the X since you can not swing the shock out and install the front springs but instead have to pull the entire shock assembly which was still fine normal in most lowering cases. Whats interesting is the rear looks like it didnt drop as much as it did on the RWD but Ben assured me he didnt change the spring height when he took it off the RWD car so I do think its something to do with the tires as I had PZero's on the last car. The PZeros are taller and thus create the look of a more tucked stance and also rubbed when I was in full lock reverse. That is not the case anymore with the PS4's.

I have run so many HAS kits in my life and have only ever adjusted 1 post initial drop. The main reason I have chosen the likes of Novitec or KW and now MSS; the quality and dialing in of the spring rates and the way they compress and rebound vs standard spring. Its worth the extra 700 bucks for me (retail to retail ish).

Here are some pics with the 15mm spacer set up:

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 09-17-2021 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 8
m20e30871144.00
r33_RGSport12914.00
mzcp2660.00
TD-F80110.00
VonB1119.00
MACA95.50
      09-17-2021, 09:44 AM   #2
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I do think this is the first X drive that is dropped and posted here?? Once again Ben aka r33_RGSport and his partner Alo did the de part on my PB G80 and reinstall on this Adventurin Red G80 X Drive.

Thoughts early on... I once again took the same roads home and tested the car on some unique canyon turns and it was really hard to discern the suspension feel from my RWD G80 and this X Car. Obviously the drive shaft up front does have some minute changes of steering wheel but thats exclusive of the drop. The MSS linear spring rates are great as you know Ive said and nothing changed here with the X car. It still soaks up the bumps well but maintains the lack of bounce we all want (I use Sport for EDC).

Ben did say it will take just a bit longer to lower the X since you can not swing the shock out and install the front springs but instead have to pull the entire shock assembly which was still fine normal in most lowering cases. Whats interesting is the rear looks like it didnt drop as much as it did on the RWD but Ben assured me he didnt change the spring height when he took it off the RWD car so I do think its something to do with the tires as I had PZero's on the last car. The PZeros are taller and thus create the look of a more tucked stance and also rubbed when I was in full lock reverse. That is not the case anymore with the PS4's.

I have run so many HAS kits in my life and have only ever adjusted 1 post initial drop. The main reason I have chosen the likes of Novitec or KW and now MSS; the quality and dialing in of the spring rates and the way they compress and rebound vs standard spring. Its worth the extra 700 bucks for me (retail to retail ish).
Absolutely stunning, striking, and beautiful...wow does that look good! Bravo, man!

I havn't reached out to R44 like you recommended...but really need to as I really want to buy this or another HAS kit, but I'm really concerned about NH/MA/ME roads and therefore bounciness, as I cannot go through this again:

"I've got to ask, how is it on the MSS? I had the 2013 335xi in my garage lowered on H&R springs, and on any real road bump, I would hit the bump stops which would make it sound like my car was about to fall apart...it literally hurt, thats how hard I would bounce and hit the bump stops....I then replaced those springs with a KW coilover kit and it was heaven.

I haven't lowered my new M3C yet because I'm terrified of that experience again with lowering springs; adjustable or not. Was my experience just unlucky, or is there a reason I experienced that back then and you all are not now?"

...but regardless, I'm glad it came out so beautiful for you...that is one absolutely stunning and beautiful M3!
      09-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
jeff@autocouture
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2002 E53 X5 4.6is

The car looks fantastic! Thank you for the feedback on the MSS kit.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Absolutely stunning, striking, and beautiful...wow does that look good! Bravo, man!

I havn't reached out to R44 like you recommended...but really need to as I really want to buy this or another HAS kit, but I'm really concerned about NH/MA/ME roads and therefore bounciness, as I cannot go through this again:

"I've got to ask, how is it on the MSS? I had the 2013 335xi in my garage lowered on H&R springs, and on any real road bump, I would hit the bump stops which would make it sound like my car was about to fall apart...it literally hurt, thats how hard I would bounce and hit the bump stops....I then replaced those springs with a KW coilover kit and it was heaven.

I haven't lowered my new M3C yet because I'm terrified of that experience again with lowering springs; adjustable or not. Was my experience just unlucky, or is there a reason I experienced that back then and you all are not now?"

...but regardless, I'm glad it came out so beautiful for you...that is one absolutely stunning and beautiful M3!
I get it, my roads are really good- even the ones where Ben's shop is. If you have bad bad roads but ride height is not an issue (scraping) then you should be fine with MSS as the setting under comfort is less bouncy than the stock springs under comfort.

I drove this X drive home Wednesday with stock springs and it was equally or LESS comfortable than the MSS. The only way I would not lower my car was if all of the roads in my area were uneven and created a low car hazard.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12914.00
      09-17-2021, 09:59 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

Here are some pics with the 15mm spacer set up:

Thank you for the opportunity to mod your ride as always.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 1
Vic5519240.00
      09-17-2021, 10:00 AM   #6
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I get it, my roads are really good- even the ones where Ben's shop is. If you have bad bad roads but ride height is not an issue (scraping) then you should be fine with MSS as the setting under comfort is less bouncy than the stock springs under comfort.

I drove this X drive home Wednesday with stock springs and it was equally or LESS comfortable than the MSS. The only way I would not lower my car was if all of the roads in my area were uneven and created a low car hazard.
Well for what it's worth, let me tell you this and see what you think:

I only drive my M3C with sport+ engine and chassis..usually before I even start my car, I push M1 button, which is configured like this:

Engine and Chassis: Sport+
Brakes: Sport
Transmission: D2
Steering: Comfort

...that's 95% of my driving. The other 5%, I am in comfort/efficient everything...on a handful of roads that are just terrible...not pot-hole terrible, but like farm-back roads that are paved, but have been patched a million times over and have sunken tire grooves from cars driving on the same spot over and over on it....

Given that reality....do you think the MSS HAS will be better, or at least equal to, stock? ...or do you think I'm in for bump-stop hell again?
      09-17-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I only drive my M3C with sport+ engine and chassis..usually before I even start my car, I push M1 button, which is configured like this:

...that's 95% of my driving. The other 5%, I am in comfort/efficient everything...on a handful of roads that are just terrible...not pot-hole terrible, but like farm-back roads that are paved, but have been patched a million times over and have sunken tire grooves from cars driving on the same spot over and over on it....

Given that reality....do you think the MSS HAS will be better, or at least equal to, stock? ...or do you think I'm in for bump-stop hell again?
First off, for me, sport plus EDC is overkill and a bounce house on oem springs. I run comfort on stock but sport with MSS as the MSS spring rates are higher than OEM.

MSS installed the normal way (my way is the hack for the front) is docile to say the least and will be equal to stock if not better in Sport EDC. Bump stop hell is only an issue if you phi slamma jamma your car. Any good shop will not place in that situation or cut the bump stop a little.

I personally say you will be fine but there are others that will chime in:

barryc365
spridge
TrentMeister

are a few that I know have MSS.
Appreciate 1
Medal480.00
      09-17-2021, 10:23 AM   #8
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

I am a fan of MSS now, it's just like stock if not better. Now this G8x are amazing in handing to begin with, and this is the first car I am running with MSS, if you didn't know when driving with MSS, you would think its stock. Lots of construction are happing in my area so I went with the standard install. So it will not go as low as Vic's. Also I was on the phone with IND for some other stuff and we ended talking about KW HAS and Coil-over, he said they were running HAS, and now switch to Coil-over, and you couldn't tell difference between the two systems. BMW M did an amazing job with the Ggen.
Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12914.00
Medal480.00
Vic5519240.00
      09-17-2021, 11:35 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20e3087 View Post
I am a fan of MSS now, it's just like stock if not better. Now this G8x are amazing in handing to begin with, and this is the first car I am running with MSS, if you didn't know when driving with MSS, you would think its stock. Lots of construction are happing in my area so I went with the standard install. So it will not go as low as Vic's. Also I was on the phone with IND for some other stuff and we ended talking about KW HAS and Coil-over, he said they were running HAS, and now switch to Coil-over, and you couldn't tell difference between the two systems. BMW M did an amazing job with the Ggen.
Yep the MSS is really dialed these properly valved dampers on the G8X.

So on my F90 M5 back in 2018, the dampers were not great and I had H&R springs which lead to some nice extra bounces LOL. But I had that issue with H&R on other M's too. On my Audi, I love H&R and I had it on a few of my Turbo S's too.

The M8 I have has the upgraded valving so the KW is perfect there and usually KW HAS is my go to but its been on delay for so long I took a chance on MSS and have zero, I mean zero regrets.

Sunny Drop Shot

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:

The only times I've hit the bump stops has been over massive pot holes in Brooklyn where quite frankly I was shocked that I didn't burst a tire or two.

The rear feels stock and the front feels a little more rough compared to stock, over poor roads. On decent roads the kit isn't noticeable as being harsh or anything

I think this roughness over big bumps and pot holes will be the case with any lowering kit unless you spend big on a coil over set up which are great but over kill for me if I'm not tracking cars these days
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
The only times I've hit the bump stops has been over massive pot holes in Brooklyn where quite frankly I was shocked that I didn't burst a tire or two.

The rear feels stock and the front feels a little more rough compared to stock, over poor roads. On decent roads the kit isn't noticeable as being harsh or anything

I think this roughness over big bumps and pot holes will be the case with any lowering kit unless you spend big on a coil over set up which are great but over kill for me if I'm not tracking cars these days
I did have r33_RGSport short the rear BS's to make the ride better just in case this might occur. No issues at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 11:57 AM   #12
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I did have r33_RGSport short the rear BS's to make the ride better just in case this might occur. No issues at all.
It was the front that I bumped on and my kit isn't modified
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Ok so maybe have that BS shortened?

Ben will know too.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12914.00
      09-17-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, I wouldn't know without seeing how they are installed and which bump stop that was used.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It was the front BSs' back on my 2013 335xi I referred to on my other post that I was hitting as well…but I see what is being said after this quote about shortening the front BS….makes sense
      09-17-2021, 12:31 PM   #16
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't know without seeing how they are installed and which bump stop that was used.
I have not hit the bs bottom on either the front or rear but then again I have not driven over heinous roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:34 PM   #17
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i, BMW M3

Quote:

Thank you Vicki, for testing it out for us There has been debate whether RWD springs fit the xdrive. Thanks for answering for us just a few questions
1 was the install complicated?
2 what made you choose MSS over Ast and H&R?
3 I feel that the g80 for me rides too comfortable I like a harsh ride like in the f80, any suggestions? Which springs to choose?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itson451 View Post
Thank you Vicki, for testing it out for us There has been debate whether RWD springs fit the xdrive. Thanks for answering for us just a few questions
1 was the install complicated?
2 what made you choose MSS over Ast and H&R?
3 I feel that the g80 for me rides too comfortable I like a harsh ride like in the f80, any suggestions? Which springs to choose?
1. no, it was relatively the same as the RWD but you have to remove the shock in the front so its one extra step

2. see the links as to why we went to MSS (no AST or H&R at the time plus the spring composition)

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1841525

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836463

3. you can create a taut but not harsh ride by dropping like I did with 35mm front and 25mm rear and use Sport EDC.

MSS is a linear spring with high spring rates so its going to be stiffer under load and speed but also more forgiving when cruising. Its really quite hard to discern the difference between OEM and MSS when Im on reasonable roads. When I was on OEM I used Comfort EDC and with MSS I use Sport as the springs are more dialed to a tighter valved system.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 12:51 PM   #19
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Installed as per MSS specs using their bump
Stops
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12914.00
      09-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #20
Itson451
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i, BMW M3

Quote:
1. no, it was relatively the same as the RWD but you have to remove the shock in the front so its one extra step

2. see the links as to why we went to MSS (no AST or H&R at the time plus the spring composition)

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1841525

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1836463

3. you can create a taut but not harsh ride by dropping like I did with 35mm front and 25mm rear and use Sport EDC.

MSS is a linear spring with high spring rates so its going to be stiffer under load and speed but also more forgiving when cruising. Its really quite hard to discern the difference between OEM and MSS when Im on reasonable roads. When I was on OEM I used Comfort EDC and with MSS I use Sport as the springs are more dialed to a tighter valved system.
Thanks for the advice I will order soon, beautiful red color and congrats on your purchase 😀
Appreciate 1
Vic5519240.00
      09-17-2021, 12:55 PM   #21
r33_RGSport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Installed as per MSS specs using their bump
Stops
Yea, tough one there.
So far, few guys I installed (both regular setup and my setup), no complain about bump stop.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #22
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

tint added

Appreciate 3
r33_RGSport12914.00
CAS_M3187.00