BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

06-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #1
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

So the last thread went off topic and got locked so I'm hoping we can reignite the discussion with out reference to other basic spring kits or getting off topic and locked.

Does anyone have thoughts on preference for one over the other?

Is it right to say the KW kit isn't designed to go as low so that it stays within BMW's recommend range for these shocks?

I know some would like both kits to go lower but maybe that would be at the expense of the life of the OE shocks (and maybe coilovers would be necessary to go lower properly)

Anyway, trying to decide between the two. I have experience with KW V3 on a track car and they were great so know the brand well. No experience with MSS but it looks like a good kit with the multi spring rates in the rear which should help avoid that dreaded bouncy ride

Any thoughts? MSS is in stock it seems like and KW is very soon.

Any thing else interesting due to come to market?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:46 PM   #2
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

I went with the mss because I like the idea of the helper spring in the rear on such a big drop.

Also more stated adjustability for the rear end of the m4.

Had a kw order in and canceled.

My mss should be here Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #3
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
I went with the mss because I like the idea of the helper spring in the rear on such a big drop.

Also more stated adjustability for the rear end of the m4.

Had a kw order in and canceled.

My mss should be here Thursday.
Nice one,

That's what I was thinking too with the rear end.

Just ordered it myself, hopefully it is a good kit. Seems to be a good quality product
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Never done MSS but have done KW over and over and over.... and Ill post my results as soon as the damn part comes in.

MSS is actually Eibach btw which is fine as well. As for the helper spring, that has no bearing on compression and rebound but based on the size of the spring drop it helps keep the actual spring in place during rebound of an intense matter. All my KW's have them (Huracan, 458, FF, Benzes, BMW's, etc- yes Novitec is KW private labeled) so while the pics from one vendor do not show them, Ill fathom they will be there. I have them on my M8 GC... but they are not needed in my drop.

I asked for reason .20 drop in the rear on KW and my retailer (one of biggest KW sellers) said they will post that because thats the optimal drop with the EDC. And to back that on my other drops, I have gone below their claims as there are alot of threads left. There is probably another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch on my M8 but I left it optimal.

Edit: the helper spring from MSS is not the same that I was referring to and is actually functional for compression/rebound.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 06-16-2021 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
barryc365
Major
Rep

Thanks Vic,

I'd imagine the kits are closely comparable by the sound of it when all is said and done.

If KW was available today it'd probably be a coin flip between them for me but I want it now
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Thanks Vic,

I'd imagine the kits are closely comparable by the sound of it when all is said and done.

If KW was available today it'd probably be a coin flip between them for me but I want it now
I agree, Im just so used to KW over my lowering history with no issues so a week or so I will be ok....
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
MSS is actually Eibach btw which is fine as well.
Just to add a little info here. Eibach are the spring manufacturer, but it is not developed by Eibach. It’s an MSS product developed by them and made to their specification, custom designed dual spring rate in the rear etc.

Bilstein etc also use Eibach to manufacture springs for them in some kits, same sort of idea.
Appreciate 1
Vic5519226.50
      06-16-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Vic,

I did edit my post as the term helper springs is not associated with the MSS set up like what KW has... the extra spring in rear for the MSS is fully functional.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 01:39 PM   #9
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18

So, question on install cost for the KW. I got a quote for $1100 from a local installer… seems a bit high. What is reasonable cost to have these installed? Appreciate any input
      06-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #10
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsteel16 View Post
So, question on install cost for the KW. I got a quote for $1100 from a local installer… seems a bit high. What is reasonable cost to have these installed? Appreciate any input
That sounds outrageous. You're talking two to three hours of labor at the absolute max plus alignment.

I would be hoping to get it done under $500 but haven't got a quote yet
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 03:13 PM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That sounds outrageous. You're talking two to three hours of labor at the absolute max plus alignment.

I would be hoping to get it done under $500 but haven't got a quote yet
So from people who have dropped this car already; I hear its much like the F80 where some shops could do it in 1 hour or so.

I know SupremePower in Fullerton, CA used to have the "Lunchtime Special Drop" for the F8X LOL--- it literally took them that long to rack, drop, de rack.

I think the G8X is the same as I confirmed there is not need to go into the trunk either.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BSM M3C

Quote:
So from people who have dropped this car already; I hear its much like the F80 where some shops could do it in 1 hour or so.

I know SupremePower in Fullerton, CA used to have the "Lunchtime Special Drop" for the F8X LOL--- it literally took them that long to rack, drop, de rack.

I think the G8X is the same as I confirmed there is not need to go into the trunk either.
First off, I highly recommend using a lift if you have access. I would have to say if the person working on your car has experience doing springs on the F series, this should be cake. I would say 2 hours max for the installation(on a first try at the G80/82) and an hour to dial in the height. Just make sure if you are using MSS springs that you watch the videos on how to assemble them together.

No trunk access is needed. Everything is very easy to do. You don't even have to loosen the strut nut up top and lower with a jack. The spring was not under much compression, putting the top hat back onto the new spring was easy as well, just had to have another person pull down slightly on the top to compress. We were able to loosen it using an impact wrench(slowly at first to be sure there wasn't. much compression) without having to worry about the top hat flying off.

The only challenging part of the install was putting back in the bolt on the rear that connects to rear subframe. Need to line up the hole perfectly to punch in the bolt through. Each rear side is literally two set of bolts and nuts, minus the passenger side the has a sensor facing the front of the car.

If anyone in WA state needs any work done, I know someone very experienced who can teach you how to do everything at a very reasonable price compared to shops out here. We went to a garage that rents out lifts and provides all the tools.

Last edited by ///MeraldCity_G82; 06-19-2021 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #13
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM_G808 View Post
First off, I highly recommend using a lift if you have access. I would have to say if the person working on your car has experience doing springs on the F series, this should be cake. I would say 2 hours max for the installation(on a first try at the G80/82) and an hour to dial in the height. Just make sure if you are using MSS springs that you watch the videos on how to assemble them together.

No trunk access is needed. Everything is very easy to do. You don't even have to loosen the strut nut up top and lower with a jack. The spring was not under much compression, putting the top hat back onto the new spring was easy as well, just had to have another person pull down slightly on the top to compress. We were able to loosen it using an impact wrench(slowly at first to be sure there wasn't. much compression) without having to worry about the top hat flying off.

The only challenging part of the install was putting back in the bolt on the rear that connects to rear subframe. Need to line up the hole perfectly to punch in the bolt through. Each rear side is literally two set of bolts and nuts, minus the passenger side the has a sensor facing the front of the car.

If anyone in WA state needs any work done, I know someone very experienced who can teach you how to do everything at a very reasonable price compared to shops out here. We went to a garage that rents out lifts and provides all the tools.
Where are the pics!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 09:31 AM   #14
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Where are the pics!!!!!!!!!!
No pics yet as the front did not lower much at all despite the adjusters set at the lowest point. Going to see if it settles within a hundred miles or so. We did compare the length of the front spring and shock mounted to the shock without any load(One side with MSS and the other OEM) and it was shorter so no idea why it did not drop much.

Not sure if there the electronic dampers need to adapt to the new springs. The rears were too low for my taste so gonna adjust that on Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:25 AM   #15
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
No pics yet as the front did not lower much at all despite the adjusters set at the lowest point. Going to see if it settles within a hundred miles or so. We did compare the length of the front spring and shock mounted to the shock without any load(One side with MSS and the other OEM) and it was shorter so no idea why it did not drop much.

Not sure if there the electronic dampers need to adapt to the new springs. The rears were too low for my taste so gonna adjust that on Sunday.
Damnnn sorry to hear. Ill post my KW's as soon as they arrive which should be this week.

I dont think the EDC will adjust the height so you might have a bad batch? It just seems very odd. So what does the front drop currently show? .5 of an inch or around there?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #16
///MeraldCity_G82
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Damnnn sorry to hear. Ill post my KW's as soon as they arrive which should be this week.

I dont think the EDC will adjust the height so you might have a bad batch? It just seems very odd. So what does the front drop currently show? .5 of an inch or around there?
yeah the drop was 1.5cm or .6 in. I am assuming it will settle out to an inch. The front wheel gap is so big that I guess an inch drop doesnt look like much LOL.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 03:58 PM   #17
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

yeah the drop was 1.5cm or .6 in. I am assuming it will settle out to an inch. The front wheel gap is so big that I guess an inch drop doesnt look like much LOL.
Definitely installed correctly? There was some nuances in the video that needed to be followed. Putting the arm under load before tightening if I recall was one.

It should settle a bit without doubt but it was never going to be slammed or 'stanced' with this kit
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 02:57 PM   #18
spridge
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Just received an update from Turner on the KW HAS kit - now estimated to ship in August. Switching to MSS.

Also - if anybody is convenient to Central Ohio and wants to install one of these kits themselves, I have a building, lift, and all of the necessary tools. Happy to help too!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 11:02 PM   #19
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spridge View Post
Just received an update from Turner on the KW HAS kit - now estimated to ship in August. Switching to MSS.

Also - if anybody is convenient to Central Ohio and wants to install one of these kits themselves, I have a building, lift, and all of the necessary tools. Happy to help too!
I ordered mine on April 28th from ACM, they told me last week that KW apparently delayed shipping on some of the orders because few of the kits were missing parts in the packaging. Not all batches were affected however..

"Hi Romel, as of yesterday these HAS Kits have not shipped. KW USA is reporting missing one or two key components to send them out.
Right now, we are working with KW to get a partial shipment sent. KW is telling us not all the kits are effected.
As soon as I get a solid answer from KW I will follow up.

Your order was placed early enough that you will be getting a kit from the first batch."
      06-24-2021, 07:39 AM   #20
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Quote:
I ordered mine on April 28th from ACM, they told me last week that KW apparently delayed shipping on some of the orders because few of the kits were missing parts in the packaging. Not all batches were affected however..

"Hi Romel, as of yesterday these HAS Kits have not shipped. KW USA is reporting missing one or two key components to send them out.
Right now, we are working with KW to get a partial shipment sent. KW is telling us not all the kits are effected.

Your order was placed early enough that you will be getting a kit from the first batch."
Yeah I ordered mine through ACM to have one of the first kits they received but it looks like KW pulled the kits. Was hoping it would arrive at the same time as my car.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 11:22 AM   #21
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

I just got an update that its now mid August for KW HAS--- did you get the same??

I think Ill just do the H&R springs for now, its only money and a small bit of labor??
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #22
Coldsteel16
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I just got an update that its now mid August for KW HAS--- did you get the same??

I think Ill just do the H&R springs for now, its only money and a small bit of labor??
I haven't heard back from ACM after that email. However, I doubt I'll get it before August. I considered the H&R but seems like there is a long wait time for that as well…

I ended up buying the MSS HAS kit which should be here by 6/28. I'm keeping my order for KW for now in case I don't like the MSS.