BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

View Poll Results: Are you installing PPF on your new G80/82?
Full wrap 83 27.30%
Partial coverage 146 48.03%
Nope 75 24.67%
Voters: 304. You may not vote on this poll

06-30-2021, 11:01 AM   #67
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 Porsche Macan  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I dove all in. My AW G80 is getting full matte PPF (STEK Dyno)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:34 PM   #68
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

I've spoken to a few installers that have said the front bumper on this car is an absolute nightmare to do.

What level of imperfections is acceptable? Are yours coming back perfect or are you able to see a few small spots here and there. Subjective I know

I'm trying to figure out how anal I should be with the results I've gotten.

It looks good but when I look closely I can see a few things that catch my eye.

I've never had PPF before so wondering is this normal or do you expect it to be 100% flawless?

It can't be easy getting that front bumper perfect!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 07:44 AM   #69
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahk View Post
I dove all in. My AW G80 is getting full matte PPF (STEK Dyno)
Is this Brooklyn grey with matte PPF? If so can you upload more photos?

Anyone out there done Brooklyn grey with full matte (expel stealth or otherwise)? Photos please!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #70
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
I've spoken to a few installers that have said the front bumper on this car is an absolute nightmare to do.

What level of imperfections is acceptable? Are yours coming back perfect or are you able to see a few small spots here and there. Subjective I know

I've never had PPF before so wondering is this normal or do you expect it to be 100% flawless?

Templates exist, but there will be seams. My guy is doing my G80 freehand but pointed out where the seams will be. I don't personally have a problem with this but some people have been upset its not one piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #71
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Templates exist, but there will be seams. My guy is doing my G80 freehand but pointed out where the seams will be. I don't personally have a problem with this but some people have been upset its not one piece.
Yeah, seems to be very hard to do the front in one piece. I doubt it's even possible. I couldn't notice seams, just a few little corners that are not perfect.

The slats on the grill look like a real PITA

He also did all the carbon in the front brake vents. Total nightmare too I'm sure
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #72
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, seems to be very hard to do the front in one piece. I doubt it's even possible. I couldn't notice seams, just a few little corners that are not perfect.

The slats on the grill look like a real PITA

He also did all the carbon in the front brake vents. Total nightmare too I'm sure
I think we are going to try just a thin strip to protect the vertical part of the carbon intake but the insides are going to get pretty well beat up. It's a wear part as far as I'm concerned
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 10:40 AM   #73
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdubb88 View Post
Is this Brooklyn grey with matte PPF? If so can you upload more photos?

Anyone out there done Brooklyn grey with full matte (expel stealth or otherwise)? Photos please!
Alpine white. More photos to come.
Appreciate 2
Tdubb88188.50
LivinLrge201.00
      07-07-2021, 06:51 AM   #74
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

For those that have installed the emblem roundels, reflector replacements and door inserts:

I'm assuming those mods should be done prior to PPF and ceramic coating?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 08:34 AM   #75
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
For those that have installed the emblem roundels, reflector replacements and door inserts:

Ideally, yes. But your detailer should have no problem coating them off the car later on. I did that with my carbon diffuser and front splitter on my F87 and my guy did it for free.
Appreciate 1
Tdubb88188.50
      07-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #76
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:

IND can also ceramic coat the parts before sending them out to you if you option it when purchasing.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 1
Tdubb88188.50
      07-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #77
Tdubb88
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ideally, yes. But your detailer should have no problem coating them off the car later on. I did that with my carbon diffuser and front splitter on my F87 and my guy did it for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Quote:

IND can also ceramic coat the parts before sending them out to you if you option it when purchasing.
Right that makes sense. I guess I'm more thinking for the areas that will be wrapped in PPF (e.g., the front reflectors and the roundels(?)) I'd probably want to have those handy when I take the car to get PPF'd.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 06:48 PM   #78
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

So I finally got a partial wrap on my car. Front bumper, rockers, rear fender area and full hood. My experience though with installers in my area has been less than stellar. I have to take the car back because they forgot to do a part of the car and then there was a big hair underneath a part of the bumper that they will be replacing and both black area's of the rockers are getting re-done because there is a scratch or glue on both sides. I was hesitant on doing this anyways and it's frustrating when it turns out like this. I do admit that I feel better having the area's covered now but it's a lot of money to not turn out the way you want it.

The other place I dealt with I had 3 different quotes from 3 different persons and all of them had a different idea on how everything worked and when I finally had enough and questioned them and they never got back with me. They used Expel and the place I ultimately went with uses Lumar.

Hopefully I will get taken care of properly and there trying to make it right for me but I can't help but think maybe I should have just saved my money. I just want to drive and enjoy the car and stuff like this just stresses me out. Anyone else have issues with install with there PPF?
Appreciate 1
eman45171724.50
      07-13-2021, 06:56 PM   #79
barryc365
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post
So I finally got a partial wrap on my car. Front bumper, rockers, rear fender area and full hood. My experience though with installers in my area has been less than stellar. I have to take the car back because they forgot to do a part of the car and then there was a big hair underneath a part of the bumper that they will be replacing and both black area's of the rockers are getting re-done because there is a scratch or glue on both sides. I was hesitant on doing this anyways and it's frustrating when it turns out like this. I do admit that I feel better having the area's covered now but it's a lot of money to not turn out the way you want it.

The other place I dealt with I had 3 different quotes from 3 different persons and all of them had a different idea on how everything worked and when I finally had enough and questioned them and they never got back with me. They used Expel and the place I ultimately went with uses Lumar.

Hopefully I will get taken care of properly and there trying to make it right for me but I can't help but think maybe I should have just saved my money. I just want to drive and enjoy the car and stuff like this just stresses me out. Anyone else have issues with install with there PPF?
Yep! Same issues and dust under my tints. Getting a bunch of stuff redone now.

Hoping it'll all get fixed correctly. I was thinking the same as you and wishing I didn't bother but then I remembered driving the car without the PPF and I was hanging back from cars 'avoiding' rock chips like an idiot.

On balance, I'm glad to have it on there so I don't have to worry about road rash, particularly in winter with the state of the roads in NYC, I'm just not going to be super anal about minor imperfections. Seems like the front bumper is hard to do perfectly.
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1296.00
      07-13-2021, 09:19 PM   #80
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyBrand View Post

Mine is definitely less than perfect, but it's tiny stuff no one aside from me would notice, and they were several thousand cheaper than alternatives, so I figure it's not all bad.

As an aside though - good move getting the rockers done. I paid extra to have them done and am so glad I did. With a quick wash they look flawless again every time. Even if you weren't doing the rest of the car I'd recommend everyone does the rockers. No idea who decided to make them gloss black, but they win asshole of the year.
Appreciate 3
LuckyBrand1296.00
eman45171724.50
      07-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #81
LuckyBrand
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 F15, G05 X5, G80 M3 6sp

Quote:
Yep! Same issues and dust under my tints. Getting a bunch of stuff redone now.

Hoping it'll all get fixed correctly. I was thinking the same as you and wishing I didn't bother but then I remembered driving the car without the PPF and I was hanging back from cars 'avoiding' rock chips like an idiot.

On balance, I'm glad to have it on there so I don't have to worry about road rash, particularly in winter with the state of the roads in NYC, I'm just not going to be super anal about minor imperfections. Seems like the front bumper is hard to do perfectly.
Not that I want anyone else to go through issues, but it does make me feel somewhat better that this stuff isn't perfect and all. Yeah I was really watching my distance from people before and one of the other forum members I met this past weekend already had a huge rock chip on his hood and I was like yikes!

After I finally got home and cooled down I was out detailing the car and talking with the family and accepted as long as they make it right I'm still glad I did it. The ease of cleaning the areas with PPF was ridiculous and I didn't have to worry about scratching the paint or anything. Especially the black areas of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Mine is definitely less than perfect, but it's tiny stuff no one aside from me would notice, and they were several thousand cheaper than alternatives, so I figure it's not all bad.

As an aside though - good move getting the rockers done. I paid extra to have them done and am so glad I did. With a quick wash they look flawless again every time. Even if you weren't doing the rest of the car I'd recommend everyone does the rockers. No idea who decided to make them gloss black, but they win asshole of the year.
Yeah some of the stuff I was irritated about I was really the only one that would notice or care about. This place was cheaper as well and the spots that they are redoing even the manager said yeah were re doing this for you.

I was so worried about the black areas on the bumper and rockers as well as right behind the rear wheel area from chips and scratches. The bumper area already had 2 minor flaws in the black so I'm glad I did it. The black looks awesome but yes down the line without care they could get really nasty looking. Resale I think it's a good idea and yes lol a hole of the year.

Thanks guys for the input. It does help put my mind at ease. I guess watching these really high end professional shops do PPF on youtube you see makes you think your going to get perfection but the reality is unless you want to travel to these shops and probably spend much more it isn't realistic?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #82
barryc365
Major
Rep

Yeah…All the really well reviewed places with stellar reputations were booked out for weeks, so the alternative was to drive the car for 6 weeks and hope it didn't get chipped.

I chose to just get it done and hope for the best. I'm the only one that will notice any minor imperfections and they're getting fixed now anyway AND I've saved a tonne of money so on balance I'm reasonably happy with the result given the situation…nothing in life is perfect!

That front bumper really does look like an absolute pig of a job to do. Not easy!
Appreciate 1
LuckyBrand1296.00
      07-25-2021, 11:22 AM   #83
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

I have a Brooklyn Grey 2022 G82 M4 Comp inbound to Southern California and I plan on PPF and Ceramic Coating the car........ All the information on this thread was excellent, because I was looking for additional information on PPF.

Although the car will be driven on the weekends( not in the rain) and parked in the garage during the week, I want to maintain the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 12:02 AM   #84
Trojan4evr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
I just got my car back from PPF installation and ceramic coating. You have to do your due diligence in researching about the installers and finding the correct person. The front of this car is a bitch to work with. There are too many horror stories out there.

However, the assurance of not getting rock chips is just priceless.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 03:52 PM   #85
jonahk
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan4evr View Post
I just got my car back from PPF installation and ceramic coating. You have to do your due diligence in researching about the installers and finding the correct person. The front of this car is a bitch to work with. There are too many horror stories out there.

However, the assurance of not getting rock chips is just priceless.
Yeah my guy had to cut the template twice because the first one was off just enough to make it not fit. He said its one of the more complicated ones he's done. He did somehow manage to wrap my carbon intakes, too - Which is amazing.

You really get what you pay for with your choice of installer.
Appreciate 1
eman45171724.50
      08-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #86
justalexio
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
I have a Brooklyn Grey 2022 G82 M4 Comp inbound to Southern California and I plan on PPF and Ceramic Coating the car........ All the information on this thread was excellent, because I was looking for additional information on PPF.

Although the car will be driven on the weekends( not in the rain) and parked in the garage during the week, I want to maintain the paint.
Where are you getting the work done?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 06:07 PM   #87
KiloCo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota// 22 G82 M4 Comp

I have no idea yet on where to go... I have been asking owners that have M3/M4 that live in Orange County or San Diego county .........for suggestions.
I was looking at ENVIOUS detailing in Orange county or CERAMIC PRO, and Auto Armour PPF in San Diego on Yelp!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #88
SickGTR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1000whpGTR/ F-82 YAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloCo View Post
I have no idea yet on where to go... I have been asking owners that have M3/M4 that live in Orange County or San Diego county .........for suggestions.
I was looking at ENVIOUS detailing in Orange county or CERAMIC PRO, and Auto Armour PPF in San Diego on Yelp!
All those high end cars out there and you can't find a shop to cover a BMW? Seems odd to me
Appreciate 0