BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

04-09-2021, 11:51 AM   #1
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Change HUD to M-Mode without using M-Mode button?

I've had my G80 for about a month now and have yet to figure out a way to change the HUD to always display the rev counter, in other words what was previously the M display in the F80.

The only way I seem to be able to do this is to use the M-Mode button in the console which also changes all the other settings to M-Mode. Is there no way to always have the HUD in M display?
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 1
HNSKP311.50
      04-09-2021, 11:56 AM   #2
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Try going to car, settings, display, heads-up display, then configure view and change to sport.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 12:16 PM   #3
golovko
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW G80 M3C - IOMG/KO

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
Try going to car, settings, display, heads-up display, then configure view and change to sport.
From what I've seen, this just lets you configure what it looks like in Sport but not actually change the active mode to Sport. Still only switches to sport when I use M-Mode button.
2017 BMW X5 40e M-Sport - Gone
2015 BMW M3 - Gone - ED Pickup June 2nd, 2015
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2021, 09:29 PM   #4
gurns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Dravit Grey

I was going to ask the same question submitted by the OP. I’ve spoken to 2 BMW genius’s and they don’t have an answer. On page 168 of the OM it addresses the shift point indicator and tach in the HUD view but it does not give instruction how to set that up. When in the “Configure View” page and selecting SPORT the side ways “hockey stick” tach is shown in the right hand split display on the Control Panel. I assumed that is what I would see in the HUD but it does not appear. What is shown is the straight horizontal bar tach. IMO the OM is not written very well.
Appreciate 2
      04-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #5
Bahamut
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
I was going to ask the same question submitted by the OP. I've spoken to 2 BMW genius's and they don't have an answer. On page 168 of the OM it addresses the shift point indicator and tach in the HUD view but it does not give instruction how to set that up. When in the "Configure View" page and selecting SPORT the side ways "hockey stick" tach is shown in the right hand split display on the Control Panel. I assumed that is what I would see in the HUD but it does not appear. What is shown is the straight horizontal bar tach. IMO the OM is not written very well.
Under those configurations, all I was able to find was what kind of information you can display under "Road" and "Sport" functions. I have yet to find a setting to default the rev counter as a default option on startup *sigh*
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:48 PM   #6
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AMG c63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
Under those configurations, all I was able to find was what kind of information you can display under "Road" and "Sport" functions. I have yet to find a setting to default the rev counter as a default option on startup *sigh*
Still nothing huh?

I am still under the impression that you have to press “m mode” by the gear shift to trigger the rev limiter on HUS.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:56 AM   #7
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurns View Post
I was going to ask the same question submitted by the OP. I've spoken to 2 BMW genius's and they don't have an answer. On page 168 of the OM it addresses the shift point indicator and tach in the HUD view but it does not give instruction how to set that up. When in the "Configure View" page and selecting SPORT the side ways "hockey stick" tach is shown in the right hand split display on the Control Panel. I assumed that is what I would see in the HUD but it does not appear. What is shown is the straight horizontal bar tach. IMO the OM is not written very well.
Sounds like you have the Reduced height setting in the HUD. Go to Car -> M menu -> Head-up display -> scroll down until you see Reduced height. You want to uncheck it.

See if that helps.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 09:57 AM   #8
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron.ricci View Post
Quote:
Still nothing huh?

I am still under the impression that you have to press “m mode” by the gear shift to trigger the rev limiter on HUS.
Unfortunately, this is the case. Hopefully, in a future software release, they will allow M-mode settings to be stored in the M1 & M2 buttons.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:05 AM   #9
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Still nothing huh?

I am still under the impression that you have to press "m mode" by the gear shift to trigger the rev limiter on HUS.
Unfortunately, this is the case. Hopefully, in a future software release, they will allow M-mode settings to be stored in the M1 & M2 buttons.
Right, that's unfortunate. I'm hoping you could also adjust the size of the tach.

I'm at an about 800 miles on break in started looking at the configurations. To clarify the M mode doesn't change any performance setting but the view of the analog display/HUD.

If traction setting is on MDM or DSC OFF, you must press M button twice. Am I missing any other rabbit holes? Haha
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:08 AM   #10
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still nothing huh?

I am still under the impression that you have to press "m mode" by the gear shift to trigger the rev limiter on HUS.
Right, that's unfortunate. I'm hoping you could also adjust the size of the tach.

I'm at an about 800 miles on break in started looking at the configurations. To clarify the M mode doesn't change any performance setting but the view of the analog display/HUD.

If traction setting is on MDM or DSC OFF, you must press M button twice. Am I missing any other rabbit holes? Haha
Sport M mode also turns off some nannies (not sure which ones). Yes, sounds like you got it.

If you want the tach smaller in HUD, you could try the reduced height setting.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:12 AM   #11
aaron.ricci
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still nothing huh?

Sport M mode also turns off some nannies (not sure which ones). Yes, sounds like you got it.

Ya I was like NO WAY did I press that twice earlier haha.

It will be fine, AMG had several views and adjustments I'm surprised BMW didn't follow.

Can I ask for your spirited drive configurations? MDM mode?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #12
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Still nothing huh?

Ya I was like NO WAY did I press that twice earlier haha.

It will be fine, AMG had several views and adjustments I'm surprised BMW didn't follow.

Can I ask for your spirited drive configurations? MDM mode?
My fun settings are:

S3
MDM
Sport throttle
Comfort brakes and steering
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:48 PM   #13
m.dreamin
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competition xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
I've had my G80 for about a month now and have yet to figure out a way to change the HUD to always display the rev counter, in other words what was previously the M display in the F80.

The only way I seem to be able to do this is to use the M-Mode button in the console which also changes all the other settings to M-Mode. Is there no way to always have the HUD in M display?
I replied in another thread that this has been an annoyance for me since day 1 of delivery. Started a thread months back (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1856760) and I still complain to BMW with the hope they'll allow us to have our desired HUD without using the stupid M Mode button. My f82 allowed me to have whichever HUD I wanted in my M1/M2 button, so why would they remove this feature?!
      01-18-2023, 08:58 AM   #14
Kevinbm235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

I feel like something isn’t right. The M Mode Road Config is greyed out in my settings
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-20-2023, 08:31 PM   #15
Bumper2Bumper
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y (G80 On Order)

+1 to all of this. Super frustrating. I think the only thing that is bothering me in the first 500 miles having the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #16
////\/\3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 BMW M3 XDrive

Garage List
Still the case!? Any new updates here?
Appreciate 1
chujk1985542.50
      06-02-2023, 09:36 AM   #17
Bleaus64
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 on the way in port now!!

Agreed yes I’m interested to. I like my TACH displayed on my HUD at all times.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 08:42 AM   #18
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Like you guys very annoyed I can’t just have the M mode display as my default view on the cluster and heads up as it’s such an improvement over the standard one.

iDrive 8 for me personally is a bit of a disaster.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #19
mirob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Like you guys very annoyed I can’t just have the M mode display as my default view on the cluster and heads up as it’s such an improvement over the standard one.

iDrive 8 for me personally is a bit of a disaster.
This is annoying but it's not an ID8 issue. ID7 is the same.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #20
GladiatorOwner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M4C

And here I was thinking that I’m just an idiot and couldn’t figure it out on my own….lol
Appreciate 1
ItsConnor224.50
      07-28-2023, 09:41 AM   #21
M Division
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, G42 M24, X6, R34 GTR

This has been a ridiculous design decision since ID7, despite all of the negative feedback BMW have still carried the M mode decision over to ID8.

A sports car should have (the option) to feature the Tach in the head up. Simple as that..

AND why we can't have the option to have the "M" screen in the binnacle when pressing the M1 or M2 is also incredible illogical.

You can code your way around it in ID7, I did it in my G42 but that was ID7. Havent tried in ID8 in my G87 (yet).
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 02:24 PM   #22
Steveo
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4

How did you code it in your G42? Do you have the settings you changed?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Division View Post
This has been a ridiculous design decision since ID7, despite all of the negative feedback BMW have still carried the M mode decision over to ID8.

A sports car should have (the option) to feature the Tach in the head up. Simple as that..

AND why we can't have the option to have the "M" screen in the binnacle when pressing the M1 or M2 is also incredible illogical.

You can code your way around it in ID7, I did it in my G42 but that was ID7. Havent tried in ID8 in my G87 (yet).
Appreciate 1
MM20.00