BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #89
M5Rick
Lieutenant General
M5Rick's Avatar
United Kingdom
21918
Rep
10,618
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Electricity price here now is out of control and the gov's push for EV's is going to stall, nobody I know wants these things. The ban on new gas and diesel vehicles from 2030 (originally 2040) here wasn't in the gov. manifesto and the PM brought it in out of the blue when he got into power under pressure from his greenie wife.
I'm in a motorists action group fighting all the lies being spread to the gov. about pollution due to vehicles from greenie sponsored 'analysts'.
Appreciate 5
chassis2169.50
Teutonic1795.50
Germanauto7432.50
KRS_SN3364.50
      Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #90
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
LOW4LYF's Avatar
1964
Rep
3,844
Posts

Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: @Home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Electricity price here now is out of control and the gov's push for EV's is going to stall, nobody I know wants these things. The ban on new gas and diesel vehicles from 2030 (originally 2040) here wasn't in the gov. manifesto and the PM brought it in out of the blue when he got into power under pressure from his greenie wife.
I'm in a motorists action group fighting all the lies being spread to the gov. about pollution due to vehicles from greenie sponsored 'analysts'.

I have a F85 XM5 and G30 PHEV 530e.

Once the G05 PHEV LCI is released I will trade the F85 in but also get the I4 M50 for the 530e.

The 530e is cutting the commute time from over 1h to 30 minutes. Solar at home at free charging at work, what else could I ask for?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:03 PM   #91
KoenG
Major
Belgium
873
Rep
1,282
Posts

Drives: E39 530i & G01 X3 2.0d XDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Don't be so sure that retail transaction prices will decline for EVs, although they are less costly to manufacture than ICEs. Automakers today have a share of consumers' wallets they don't want to give up, for 4 tires and a steering wheel. A vehicle is a commodity, an appliance. Like a toaster.

Did Tesla enter the market with a lower price for an apples-to-apples equivalent transportation solution compared with ICE? They entered the market with a higher price for an equivalent transportation solution.

In 2030 the expectation is that 30% of global new vehicles built will be EV. This means 70% will have an ICE of some type. This means EVs and ICE will live in the same commercial marketplace together for a good long while.

When transportationally equivalent ICE and EV products are sitting in the same showroom, carmakers and dealers will resist lowering price for an EV, for what is essentially the same product delivering most of the same customer benefits as an ICE vehicle. For those who insist on an EV, carmakers and dealers will gladly charge the highest price the market will bear to those consumers. If the consumer balks at a high EV price, they always have the option to buy an ICE vehicle. But for consumers who cannot tolerate ICE, they need to pay the money for an EV.

This is a perfect trap for carmakers and dealers.

Profit margin on the ICE will remain essentially what it is today, with profit margin on the EV substantially higher because it is produced with tens of thousands fewer workers.

KoenG Will you please share your view of price and profit as it relates to ICE, hybrid and EVs? Thanks.
I believe that your analysis makes perfect sense in a transition phase. During such a period there are all kind of arguments specific to the transition at play that vanish after the transition. Like now, I wonder whether BMW didn't price the i4/X a bit too low seen the immediate delivery delays because of the production start up and covid situation?

Of course, in Europe we mostly are convinced by now that the ICE and hybrids will get eradicated around 2035. As from then, countries seem to only allow new BEV or hydrogen alternatives. In the US, apparently, there is an overall conviction that the buyer continues to choose his preference and ICE will remain one of those options. I don't believe that, the remaining market will become too small to justify the massive costs in keeping ICE alive and the transition will happen irrespective but a few years later then.

So when there is a time in the future where all cars have become BEV, they will have a lower retail price. Wether that's at benefit of the individual buyer or an opportunity to increase taxes for the govenment is still to be seen. It will most probably never become a higher margin for the manufacturer. But for we are that far, manufacturers will price their BEV as high as possible to balance the prices with ICE/hybrid and backlog in their production plants.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:21 PM   #92
ynguldyn
Colonel
4865
Rep
2,952
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I am simply anti BS and the argument put forward by the EV industry is a whole lot of .... selective brainwashing (to be polite)
Your very long post, with all the good and proper data cited, has one major flaw. You're fighting a straw man. Because no one has ever said that all we have to do to stop climate change is buy more EVs.

It does help though.
Appreciate 1
KoenG872.50
      Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #93
ynguldyn
Colonel
4865
Rep
2,952
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Electricity price here now is out of control and the gov's push for EV's is going to stall, nobody I know wants these things. The ban on new gas and diesel vehicles from 2030 (originally 2040) here wasn't in the gov. manifesto and the PM brought it in out of the blue when he got into power under pressure from his greenie wife.
I'm in a motorists action group fighting all the lies being spread to the gov. about pollution due to vehicles from greenie sponsored 'analysts'.
This is a classic example of selection bias. One should never measure the moods of a country just by looking at one's friend group.

Reality in the UK: https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/electric...d-to-electric/
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #94
ynguldyn
Colonel
4865
Rep
2,952
Posts

Drives: battery powered tv on wheels
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Boston

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
I will not go into detail how each of your inferences is flawed, because it would be enough to say at least one person has to know every upper boundary for this to even start to be true.

What really separates a good engineer from a good robot, is the human element. That's why humans aspire to be "better", and create alternatives. So for an engineer to stick with boring and soulless solution, means he/she settles for the current state.
You're confusing an engineer's personal motivation with the operation of an end product.

Simple is beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 01:43 PM   #95
dezzracer
Captain
United_States
736
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

This was certainly a thought provoking thread on the future of EV and what it can actually achieve in the long run. I don't think anybody really knows. Brings to mind the push for recycling plants 30 years ago.

The vision of recycling trucks coming by your house once or twice a week to empty your recycle containers on the surface seems like a good idea and makes us all "feel good". Until you consider the energy and materials needed to build and maintain all of those large recycle trucks. And the diesel fuel and oil needed to motivate them. And the recycling plants that need to be built and the energy they consume. And all of the workers and truck drivers that need to drive to those plants to work. And the energy and raw materials it takes to convert the recycle refuse into renewable product. And that 50% of the refuge collected has to be discarded and transferred to a proper dump site as it should not have been put in the "recycle container" in the first place.

It does make one wonder what the true net gain is. No..the issue of pollution and global warming is extremely complex problem facing humanity and not an easy one to solve. Perhaps we will one day find a new planet in which we can inhabit or use as a dumping ground. Because let's face it, the bottom line is we have an exponentially growing population that one day earth will not be able to sustain. We need to fix it or it will be fixed for us by Mother Nature and she can be brutal.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:27 PM   #96
chassis
Major
chassis's Avatar
United_States
2170
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
I believe that your analysis makes perfect sense in a transition phase. During such a period there are all kind of arguments specific to the transition at play that vanish after the transition. Like now, I wonder whether BMW didn't price the i4/X a bit too low seen the immediate delivery delays because of the production start up and covid situation?

Of course, in Europe we mostly are convinced by now that the ICE and hybrids will get eradicated around 2035. As from then, countries seem to only allow new BEV or hydrogen alternatives. In the US, apparently, there is an overall conviction that the buyer continues to choose his preference and ICE will remain one of those options. I don't believe that, the remaining market will become too small to justify the massive costs in keeping ICE alive and the transition will happen irrespective but a few years later then.

So when there is a time in the future where all cars have become BEV, they will have a lower retail price. Wether that's at benefit of the individual buyer or an opportunity to increase taxes for the govenment is still to be seen. It will most probably never become a higher margin for the manufacturer. But for we are that far, manufacturers will price their BEV as high as possible to balance the prices with ICE/hybrid and backlog in their production plants.

KoenG Are you familiar with the mainstream automotive industry forecasting data? The data used by carmakers and other companies in the business? 2035 is not the end of ICE/hybrid in Europe, according to those people. Please don't believe me. Rather, believe the people who are the preeminent automotive industry forecasters.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:05 PM   #97
x622
Gapplebees
x622's Avatar
No_Country
98
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: 21 X5MC / 22 M5CS
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: AZ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Yeah, 600 hp from 4 cyl.
Start lookind at their reliability if you want.
There is that much you can squeeze from an engine. Racing engines do that two… sometimes for a few laps…
It was 600hp with the hybrid assist. It's just the same powerplant as what's in the CLA's at 400 and change.
__________________
Oy vey, look at all these shekels
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 04:24 PM   #98
MadBimmeRad
Colonel
MadBimmeRad's Avatar
Australia
2716
Rep
2,112
Posts

Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

KoenG

Now we are getting closer to the real reasons why EVs are forced down our throats.

For one thing, be it petrol, gas; diesel; avgas, or any other petroleum product, in Europe, given they don't have much condensate resources, price of fuel is astronomically high when compared to the oil producing nations such as US or the Middle East.

Additionally, with some countries in EU in dire financial woes, a quick solution is to reduce your national fuel bill and pushing EVs is a good way to achieve that.

Remember my friend, an honest politician is a dead politician. Just because they legislate against ICE, it doesn't mean they have YOUR best interest at heart
__________________
M2CS,
The second coming of ///M!
Appreciate 1
KoenG872.50
      Yesterday, 05:34 PM   #99
KoenG
Major
Belgium
873
Rep
1,282
Posts

Drives: E39 530i & G01 X3 2.0d XDrive
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
KoenG Are you familiar with the mainstream automotive industry forecasting data? The data used by carmakers and other companies in the business? 2035 is not the end of ICE/hybrid in Europe, according to those people. Please don't believe me. Rather, believe the people who are the preeminent automotive industry forecasters.
I refer to the European intent now, which is pure politics of course: https://www.euractiv.com/section/ele...ngine-by-2035/
Today the intent is 0g CO² against 2035 which eliminates any ICE, how clever it might be, from being sold any where in the EU.

I understand that there are car manufacturers, amongst them BMW, who revolt against these plans and already replied to the EU parliament that they will NOT comply!

EU replied that they have a battery of incentives (read: penalties and fines) ready to motivate manufacturers to comply. Anyway, zero emission is not a gray border, it's a pretty black/white one. Everything above 0gr will no longer can get registrated.
Appreciate 2
chassis2169.50
      Yesterday, 06:28 PM   #100
dezzracer
Captain
United_States
736
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: 2018 M3 CS
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: The Great Mojave Desert

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonic View Post
Yeah, 600 hp from 4 cyl.
Start lookind at their reliability if you want.
There is that much you can squeeze from an engine. Racing engines do that two… sometimes for a few laps…
It was 600hp with the hybrid assist. It's just the same powerplant as what's in the CLA's at 400 and change.
And that's the concept that makes most sense to me. I have an E mountain bike that is pedal "assist". If you don't pedal you don't go anywhere. And the e power assist feed is seamless.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #101
KRS_SN
Colonel
3365
Rep
2,311
Posts

Drives: G05,F15
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

I love watching people around me going ev. the commitment to planning journeys to include charging and watching them plugging in day in day out every day is very appreciated to clean up our air while they pay great purchase price for their new appliances to get a few thousands in tax rebates.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:30 PM   #102
chassis
Major
chassis's Avatar
United_States
2170
Rep
1,384
Posts

Drives: BMW G01 X3, M-B GLE350W4
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
KoenG Is intent equal to legislation? Please avail yourself of the auto industry forecast data. It does not call for zero ICE/hybrid in Europe in 2035. Please convince yourself of this. Don’t take my word for it.

Germany, the most prosperous country in the EU, has national strategic, not environmental, reasons to move to EVs: energy supply. Today they rely on Russia for natural gas and on the Middle East for oil. Living in Europe, you are quite familiar with the annual drama that plays out at the start of every heating season as Russia squeezes their gas customers politically. Germany is not energy self-sufficient. EVs create better self sufficiency for Germany.

Nuclear, wind and solar can be a strong combination for German national security. It gives them more optionality, completely ignoring environmental benefits, if any exist at all in the total pollution chain.

Meanwhile in the US, the automakers need to change their shirts because they have drooled all over themselves counting the increased profits they expect, while using tens of thousands fewer workers to produce vehicles.

Follow the money and the national security.

Last edited by chassis; Yesterday at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 07:40 PM   #103
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
520
Rep
1,338
Posts

Drives: E82M/F31 328XD
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montréal Canada

iTrader: (0)

2022 The year we can't talk about ice without getting the ev crowd telling us the ev are better.

Ev are better for commuter cars but really lack in the emotional department beign totally soulless. I always say that ev are for people who prefer to watch porn rather than actually have sex it easier but you're missing on the involvement part.
Appreciate 1
chassis2169.50
      Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #104
brad850csi
Colonel
1061
Rep
2,219
Posts

Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Whilst I'm not calling your statement idiotic, it is in fact idiotic to assume only cars produce CO². It's equally idiotic to assume only CO² is responsible for climate change, and even more idiotic to think EVs are the answer to everything.

EVs present another nail in the coffin and you'll be holding your head down in shame when you find your grandchildren in dismay come 30 or so years when most natural resources and rare-earth minerals used in producing EVs have been depleted to, and for, nothing because - let me say this slowly so it's easy to comprehend, EVs ARE A NET POLLUTER when you consider the damage they cause to the environment just to produce 1 single EV.

Finally, how does the electricity you charge EVs with get produced? Gas turbines, diesel or coal-fired power plants, or wind and solar? The first three blow any argument for EVs out of the water, because more gas/diesel/coal has to be burnt creating more CO² trying to produce electricity for those "emission-free" EVs.

We already know what a nightmare the wind turbines have become thanks to their short life cycle and, largely, not being recyclable. Solar energy, well maybe, but all your solar panels will be useless and have to change every ten or so years.

No, EVs are not the solution, they are part of the problem

and the problem is, going in head first without thinking about consequences.

We as a species keep making the same mistakes hoping for better results

Einstein called that insanity

Just like here, most of our power is water, but when we have higher use or a drought we fire up the coal to meet the need. This happens once a year for about 3-6 months depending on the year. So even in NZ which is a very Hydro heavy country, ultimately your tesla or some other virtue signal mobile is powered by coal.

And the funniest thing is that our stupid left wing government banned gas exploration here and basically shut down our own coal mines that were mining very good quality coal providing local jobs to change to dirty poor quality coal from Indonesia to then put on a big boat, then finally the coal is trucked to the power plants from the ports so that we could say we aren't mining our own coal.
__________________
SCOTT26 "So as an admirer of the M5 and a potential customer of an M5 Touring. I would run naked around the streets of Garching if they were to offer one."
Appreciate 3
chassis2169.50
dezzracer736.00
      Yesterday, 11:16 PM   #105
MadBimmeRad
Colonel
MadBimmeRad's Avatar
Australia
2716
Rep
2,112
Posts

Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
Whilst I'm not calling your statement idiotic, it is in fact idiotic to assume only cars produce CO². It's equally idiotic to assume only CO² is responsible for climate change, and even more idiotic to think EVs are the answer to everything.

EVs present another nail in the coffin and you'll be holding your head down in shame when you find your grandchildren in dismay come 30 or so years when most natural resources and rare-earth minerals used in producing EVs have been depleted to, and for, nothing because - let me say this slowly so it's easy to comprehend, EVs ARE A NET POLLUTER when you consider the damage they cause to the environment just to produce 1 single EV.

Finally, how does the electricity you charge EVs with get produced? Gas turbines, diesel or coal-fired power plants, or wind and solar? The first three blow any argument for EVs out of the water, because more gas/diesel/coal has to be burnt creating more CO² trying to produce electricity for those "emission-free" EVs.

We already know what a nightmare the wind turbines have become thanks to their short life cycle and, largely, not being recyclable. Solar energy, well maybe, but all your solar panels will be useless and have to change every ten or so years.

No, EVs are not the solution, they are part of the problem

and the problem is, going in head first without thinking about consequences.

We as a species keep making the same mistakes hoping for better results

Einstein called that insanity

Just like here, most of our power is water, but when we have higher use or a drought we fire up the coal to meet the need. This happens once a year for about 3-6 months depending on the year. So even in NZ which is a very Hydro heavy country, ultimately your tesla or some other virtue signal mobile is powered by coal.

And the funniest thing is that our stupid left wing government banned gas exploration here and basically shut down our own coal mines that were mining very good quality coal providing local jobs to change to dirty poor quality coal from Indonesia to then put on a big boat, then finally the coal is trucked to the power plants from the ports so that we could say we aren't mining our own coal.
Politics! Don't you just love it!?
__________________
M2CS,
The second coming of ///M!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:52 AM   #106
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
LOW4LYF's Avatar
1964
Rep
3,844
Posts

Drives: ///M4 COMPETITION
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: @Home

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMat135 View Post
2022 The year we can't talk about ice without getting the ev crowd telling us the ev are better.

Ev are better for commuter cars but really lack in the emotional department beign totally soulless. I always say that ev are for people who prefer to watch porn rather than actually have sex it easier but you're missing on the involvement part.
I think it's more about priorities in your life.

Back in the days my car was very important for me, I had my first car 1 year before I was eligible for my driver's license.

Now 25 years later, I still have 8 cars... 4 are V8, 3 are R6 and 1 is R4. However I use my cars now and replace them if needed. Back in the days I was washing my M4 with a bucket and towels, today I bring the X5M to the automatic car wash at the gas station, who cares.

I don't need a burble tune at look at me paint job and prefer to stay under the radar.
The I4 M50 is the perfect vehicle for my needs.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.




g80
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST