BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

01-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #463
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Bit of a small development, but I was able to source Pilot Alpin 5's in 275/35/19 and bought an extra set of 826M's to put in the back.

However, I just learned that you can fit 285/35/20's out back with no problem as long as the ride height isn't low. I'm now considering 295/35/20's in Pilot Alpin 5 so I can retain the stock 20's and not have to spend much more on an extra set of wheels that are finish mismatched (didn't get the bi-colour 826M's).

I've attached a pic of Soom's car that has 285/35/20's out back in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's. It looks.. interesting with the 35 series on the front and back, but I genuinely don't mind it since the wheels themselves look great. I think I'm going to lean towards ordering the 295/35/20 and pairing it with the 275/35/19.

I wonder if the OD difference will be a problem besides the speedometer error. But does anyone have any thoughts? I really would rather just keep an extra set of tyres rather than an extra set of rear wheels + tyres.
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2022, 01:58 PM   #464
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
My Alpin 5s encountered their first real snow today. Cut through 6" powder like there was nothing on the road. Drove over packed snow/ice (in 10°F temperatures) without any slippage or sidestepping. So far, so good!
I tried to order a set of 4 825Ms to do a square setup with like yours but was told that it wouldn't work and then I just focused more on getting the M240i for winter.

I'm considering cancelling the M240i since it just keeps getting delayed endlessly and winter is here.

You had no issues with the square 825M setup? Are you running any spacers or anything? You got them from your local dealership right?

I may have to start trying to find somewhere that can source the 825Ms quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 03:39 PM   #465
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
I tried to order a set of 4 825Ms to do a square setup with like yours but was told that it wouldn't work and then I just focused more on getting the M240i for winter.

I'm considering cancelling the M240i since it just keeps getting delayed endlessly and winter is here.

You had no issues with the square 825M setup? Are you running any spacers or anything? You got them from your local dealership right?

I may have to start trying to find somewhere that can source the 825Ms quickly.
No issues running square 825Ms; ~1,200 miles on them so far. I added 12mm spacers on the rears to restore (to within 1mm) the original inner offset of the OEM 10.5 x 20" rims. I purchased the extra pair of rims from my local dealership (back in August, even before I secured an allocation), and they arrived within a week. iDrive 7 even defaults to the square 275/35R19 wheel as the alternate (winter) tire size on TPMS reset.

Come springtime I'll probably leave the 12mm spacers on the rear and add 15mm spacers to the front wheels (IND's recommended sizing, FWIW) when I return to staggered summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:27 PM   #466
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
Bit of a small development, but I was able to source Pilot Alpin 5's in 275/35/19 and bought an extra set of 826M's to put in the back.

However, I just learned that you can fit 285/35/20's out back with no problem as long as the ride height isn't low. I'm now considering 295/35/20's in Pilot Alpin 5 so I can retain the stock 20's and not have to spend much more on an extra set of wheels that are finish mismatched (didn't get the bi-colour 826M's).

I've attached a pic of Soom's car that has 285/35/20's out back in Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 4's. It looks.. interesting with the 35 series on the front and back, but I genuinely don't mind it since the wheels themselves look great. I think I'm going to lean towards ordering the 295/35/20 and pairing it with the 275/35/19.

I wonder if the OD difference will be a problem besides the speedometer error. But does anyone have any thoughts? I really would rather just keep an extra set of tyres rather than an extra set of rear wheels + tyres.
Where did you find 19 and 20" Alpin 5's? I can't find any winter tires for the stock set up.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 03:39 PM   #467
Kminor2578
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kminor2578 View Post
Where did you find 19 and 20" Alpin 5's? I can't find any winter tires for the stock set up.

Ignore, I should have read backwards....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:29 AM   #468
jpsimon
Team Zissou
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AWD M3 Comp - SMB

Here's a good angle that shows off the fitment of the 15mm spacers front/rear with the 829m setup:

Appreciate 2
AhsanU3792.00
luckylingy3205.00
      01-27-2022, 07:27 PM   #469
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

There's definitely a restocking of the Pilot Alpin 5's in 275/35/19 if anyone's interested. I ordered off Summit Racing and they initially told me they'd have no stock until March, so I cancelled the order. 'Lo and behold, I got them today.

I've decided to roll the dice and upsize my winter setup. I ordered 295/35/20 out back and 285/40/19 up front, Pilot Alpin 5. I'll be getting them in a week or so, right when I get the car. I'll report back how they fit when they're on. Wish me luck lads and lasses.
Attached Images

Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #470
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
I was finally able to take the car out after a long while and the Michelin PA5 winter tires are more like a good all-season. For snow and ice like we get in Minnesota and combined with a RWD, you need a real, 'extreme' winter tire to be comfortable.

Setting off up a hill from a stop with compacted snow, you're going to lean on DSC while still only using 15 mm of the gas pedal travel. Expected and doable, but after years of AWD in the winter, it's still going to take some time to get used to it.
I think your the first person I've seen with this view.

They are a performance winter in fairness and not an extreme studless snow tire, but all of the reviews have had them coming out very close to the top in all sorts of snow and on inclines so was surprised by your review.

If you hit the gas on an incline from a stand still it's not unrealistic to expect some light traction control interjection.

For me the main thing is can I get to where I need to get to, without feeling like I'm not in control of the car. You're always going to have to be more cautious in snow either way. Hammering a RWD car with 500 BHP on an incline in snow is always going to be a bit of an issue. Maybe getting used to it not being a 4 wheel drive is the bigger factor than the tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 11:31 PM   #471
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post

They are a performance winter in fairness and not an extreme studless snow tire, but all of the reviews have had them coming out very close to the top in all sorts of snow and on inclines so was surprised by your review.

If you hit the gas on an incline from a stand still it's not unrealistic to expect some light traction control interjection.

For me the main thing is can I get to where I need to get to, without feeling like I'm not in control of the car. You're always going to have to be more cautious in snow either way. Hammering a RWD car with 500 BHP on an incline in snow is always going to be a bit of an issue. Maybe getting used to it not being a 4 wheel drive is the bigger factor than the tires?
My point was that the PA5 tire on a RWD isn't going to cut it if you're in an area that sees extreme winter conditions, which is a lot of the northern half of the US. The DSC kicks on even with gentle acceleration on compacted snow on a flat road. They feel like an all-season tire and look very similar to the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Comparing the tread pattern between the PA5 and CrossClimate 2, the PA5 looks like it would be the all season and CrossClimate like a serious winter tire.

With more time behind the wheel, the PA5 doesn't do well with ice or compacted snow. Cornering even at slow speeds, the car slides around more than it should. Braking performance is fine if you're comfortable with threshold braking, but it's very easy to lock up and have ABS kick in. Based on that, my opinion is that this tire behaves very similar to a winter-biased all season (or "all-weather" as they're called now).

"Performance winter" shouldn't exist as a tire category as it's a "Performance all-weather" tire instead.

Stick to the Nokians and Blizzaks for real winter performance tires, don't go out of your way trying to get the PA5s.
      01-28-2022, 03:44 AM   #472
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Quote:

My point was that the PA5 tire on a RWD isn't going to cut it if you're in an area that sees extreme winter conditions, which is a lot of the northern half of the US. The DSC kicks on even with gentle acceleration on compacted snow on a flat road. They feel like an all-season tire and look very similar to the Michelin CrossClimate 2.

Comparing the tread pattern between the PA5 and CrossClimate 2, the PA5 looks like it would be the all season and CrossClimate like a serious winter tire.

With more time behind the wheel, the PA5 doesn't do well with ice or compacted snow. Cornering even at slow speeds, the car slides around more than it should. Braking performance is fine if you're comfortable with threshold braking, but it's very easy to lock up and have ABS kick in. Based on that, my opinion is that this tire behaves very similar to a winter-biased all season (or "all-weather" as they're called now).

"Performance winter" shouldn't exist as a tire category as it's a "Performance all-weather" tire instead.

Stick to the Nokians and Blizzaks for real winter performance tires, don't go out of your way trying to get the PA5s.
I think the 'performance winters' is referring to the dry handling capabilities in cold weather. They are very good at that while they may not be quite as good as the Nokian in extreme snow, it's probably a pretty good trade off given that for the majority of the winter your not driving around in extreme snow and more likely to be driving around on cold icy roads or roads that have been ploughed

I found this article interesting comparing the 3 mentioned.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/12/07/b...-winter-tires/

I haven't had the Alpins out in deep snow, just freezing icy conditions where they were amazing and I was able to drive hard and fast, it felt like driving on summers in summer! we are getting a N'or Easter this weekend so might get to test them out properly myself in proper snow
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 06:15 PM   #473
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
My point was that the PA5 tire on a RWD isn't going to cut it if you're in an area that sees extreme winter conditions, which is a lot of the northern half of the US.
They seem to do fine here and honestly there aren't many urban area in North America that see worse winters than here. Sure you'd have to adjust your driving a bit, but it is freaking winter. I am really surprised how well this RWD car is off the line.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 08:33 PM   #474
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i (2014), M3 (2021)

Quote:
Quote:
I was finally able to take the car out after a long while and the Michelin PA5 winter tires are more like a good all-season. For snow and ice like we get in Minnesota and combined with a RWD, you need a real, 'extreme' winter tire to be comfortable.

Setting off up a hill from a stop with compacted snow, you're going to lean on DSC while still only using 15 mm of the gas pedal travel. Expected and doable, but after years of AWD in the winter, it's still going to take some time to get used to it.

I share that opinion. I had them on one of my previous cars for 2 years and was a bit disappointed. They were not much better than good all-seasons, in my experience.

I'm in Michigan
Appreciate 1
barryc3651947.00
      01-29-2022, 08:12 AM   #475
amuk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jproos View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I share that opinion. I had them one of my previous cars for 2 years and was a bit disappointed. They were not much better than good all-seasons, in my experience.

I'm in Michigan
Which winter tire do you prefer instead?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:41 AM   #476
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuk View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I share that opinion. I had them one of my previous cars for 2 years and was a bit disappointed. They were not much better than good all-seasons, in my experience.

I'm in Michigan
Which winter tire do you prefer instead?
I had a better experience with Blizzaks.

My wife currently has vredesteins on her X3 M40i on they seem to be excellent. My all-season continentals on my M3 are getting me through this winter pretty well so far but I've been actively avoiding deep snow
Appreciate 1
amuk148.00
      01-29-2022, 04:33 PM   #477
zambarossa
Vault Dweller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT (Dravit/KO/ZPP)

Quote:
Which blizzaks dude, they have like half a dozen SKUs, of which there are performance winters just like the PS5. The LM005 for example did better than the PA5 in some tests, but was behind on others:
https://alltyretests.com/michelin-pi...5-test-review/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 05:18 PM   #478
B58SP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i SOLD

Brand snobs will be upset but holy crap am I impressed by these tires. Even trying to get it to spin on purpose by mashing the throttle with traction off and the car just hooks. Drove on 4-5 inches of compounded snow this morning and car felt so stable

RWD 6 speed

https://youtube.com/shorts/Mg4ZSaXhkDc?feature=share
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-29-2022, 11:57 PM   #479
Jproos
Facts matter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambarossa View Post
Quote:
Which blizzaks dude, they have like half a dozen SKUs, of which there are performance winters just like the PS5. The LM005 for example did better than the PA5 in some tests, but was behind on others:
https://alltyretests.com/michelin-pi...5-test-review/
No earthly idea, dude
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 09:58 PM   #480
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]

PA5 on ice is fun, but not great outside of a course on a lake. They're much better in the snow so I kept looking for the snow covered ice.
      03-01-2022, 07:41 PM   #481
IAm3
Private
Rep
Drives: 1999 Mcoupe (boston green)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
I run winter tires from November through April, so I’m as picky about what’s on the car in winter as in summer — if not more so. I’m going with Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 tires (275/35R19) on (4) front 825M rims (two coming with the car, two purchased through the dealer). 15mm spacers will get the 9.5x19 rims to almost the stock inner AND outer clearance of the 10.5x20 OEM rims (2mm more inner, 2mm less outer, to be exact).
I’ve read this thread and appreciate your comments on your winter setup. I am also planning to order two more 825m front rims to have a square winter setup with Alpin 5 tires — can you tell me approximately what the two extra front 825m rims will cost me at the dealer? Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 08:22 PM   #482
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M (on order)

Retail price is around $1,000 per rim. Discounted price varies (I'm in a fortunate situation).
Appreciate 2
IAm379.50
disancke142.00
      03-21-2022, 11:17 AM   #483
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

I've decided to "piece meal" my Winter wheels/tires and order a square setup of front black 826Ms,....going with either a performance A/S tire, or something more like the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5s.

I just don't like the look of the 829M Winter set, especially since those wheels are cast aluminum....
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 05:51 PM   #484
skijin67
Registered
Rep
Drives: X1

Shut out to nate196 on winter cap size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate196 View Post
Thanks for the response and photos

Imma gonna try the 68mm that should pop right in
If not definitely using your method

Thanks again
Did your 68mm work on the MSW type 50 20inch wheel?

I'm looking to get the 50yr anniversary cap and hoping that it fits well...!

Not sure if you get notify if I quote your post, but hopefully it reaches you!

Appreciate 0