home
Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

01-15-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
iambcisneros
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition xDrive

All Season Tires On My 2022 M4 Comp xDrive

Wanted to make this post here because no matter where I looked or how hard I searched, I couldn't find the input I needed (prior to switching over to all seasons).

-Weather: Temps in the winter months hover between 35-45 degrees (F) and we generally get 1-2 snow dumps which completely melt in a week. The rest of the time, it rains. Between May and Sept, temps are mild, and we don't get many long stretches in the 80's (cools down a lot in the mornings/evenings too).

-Use case: I don't track my cars. I don't push my cars to the limit on the streets. I don't do 0-60 runs. I like to go for drives and feel the torque every once in a while, but most of the time I'm driving back/forth to work (in traffic), taking my kids to school, running errands, etc. I need a tire that I can "set and forget" and don't want to have to think too much about things.

-I once went the route of dedicated summers and dedicated winters on my 2019 Camaro ZL1. I put on Pirelli SottoZero 3's for winter (OEM size) and summers were the stock Goodyear Eagle F1's. I thought it was major overkill for the climate here. I also had OEM Pirelli P Zero All Seasons on my 2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody that worked well summer, fall, winter, and spring (in fact I never thought twice about the tires).

-I decided that in the spirit of keeping it simple, I would change my tires on my new M4 over to Michelin Pilot All Season 4 tires. I just want to drive the car and not think about it. When it snows, I won't drive it (max 2 weeks out of the year), but the rest of the time I don't want to think about the outdoor temps impacting the rubber compound, the rain, etc.

-There's a lot of forum posts, and people I spoke to, that ragged on all season tires for performance vehicles. This got me super concerned about going this route on the M4, but what I kept coming back to is (1) I had a really good experience with all seasons on my Hellcat which is significantly more powerful, and rear wheel drive vs all wheel xDrive, and (2) most of these people don't have the same use case as I do, and they're maybe pushing the vehicle beyond the limits I will.

-My experience: I put about 150 miles on the tires in the last 2 days and what stands out the most to me is that I can't tell the difference between the Michelin all seasons and the OEM Pirelli summer tires! This is absolute best case for me, I don't want to be able to tell the difference, but I want the confidence to drive the car normally when it's below 50 degree F (and in most cases, raining). I don't notice any "springy-ness" or "squishy-ness" whether I'm at highway speeds, making brisk 90 degree turns, or spirited driving on winding roads. I feel no difference in traction. I also think they look fine, very understated.

-For now, I'm glad I went this route. Maybe I'll change my mind when it starts to warms up E.g. I'll have FOMO and change back over to summers. But my intent is to keep these on all year so I can focus my time and attention on other things.
Appreciate 9
luckylingy3233.50
Gfit2710.00
MannyS357.00
anakratis644.50
akbjr57.00
M4ord782.50
      01-16-2022, 05:20 AM   #2
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your circumstances, decision and early experience with tires. I'm pro-Michelin, and their Pilot Sport tire line is legit. Based on where you live and how you drive, you made the same choice I would have made.

I lost the tire lottery, so I have at least a couple summers on Pirellis until I decide with what to replace them (4S or AS4).
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2022, 07:56 AM   #3
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I put the Michelin PS4 AS on in November. Can't tell any difference. It's 5f here today and they gripped the road great on some hard turns and quick acceleration.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
rmh12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp Convertible

Your thought process was the same as mine. Will be putting my PS4 AS on monday. Will keep the PZeros around but if I don't notice much of a difference I might just keep them on and sell the PZeros.
      01-16-2022, 10:15 AM   #5
Stav
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

I went with the same too but the ZP (zero pressure - run flat version) that the corvette also has. I had to upsize the front to 285 from 275 since the 285's are the only ones available that match. I thought they would look better too.

Tires are great and can barely notice a difference vs the summer Pirellis the car came with.

Something to note though, in reverse if you turn the steering wheel too much the tires rub at the front vents. Really bummed out about it. It is possible to get used to not turn the steering much but still it is a hassle. Can't believe that 10mm made such a huge difference. I was upsizing with my F90 too for winter but never had any issues. I guess I can get the normal non-ZP for front and keep ZP for rear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 11:09 PM   #6
unseen orko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330i, Audi Q5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambcisneros View Post
Wanted to make this post here because no matter where I looked or how hard I searched, I couldn't find the input I needed (prior to switching over to all seasons).

-Weather: Temps in the winter months hover between 35-45 degrees (F) and we generally get 1-2 snow dumps which completely melt in a week. The rest of the time, it rains. Between May and Sept, temps are mild, and we don't get many long stretches in the 80's (cools down a lot in the mornings/evenings too).

-Use case: I don't track my cars. I don't push my cars to the limit on the streets. I don't do 0-60 runs. I like to go for drives and feel the torque every once in a while, but most of the time I'm driving back/forth to work (in traffic), taking my kids to school, running errands, etc. I need a tire that I can "set and forget" and don't want to have to think too much about things.

-I once went the route of dedicated summers and dedicated winters on my 2019 Camaro ZL1. I put on Pirelli SottoZero 3's for winter (OEM size) and summers were the stock Goodyear Eagle F1's. I thought it was major overkill for the climate here. I also had OEM Pirelli P Zero All Seasons on my 2020 Hellcat Redeye Widebody that worked well summer, fall, winter, and spring (in fact I never thought twice about the tires).

-I decided that in the spirit of keeping it simple, I would change my tires on my new M4 over to Michelin Pilot All Season 4 tires. I just want to drive the car and not think about it. When it snows, I won't drive it (max 2 weeks out of the year), but the rest of the time I don't want to think about the outdoor temps impacting the rubber compound, the rain, etc.

-There's a lot of forum posts, and people I spoke to, that ragged on all season tires for performance vehicles. This got me super concerned about going this route on the M4, but what I kept coming back to is (1) I had a really good experience with all seasons on my Hellcat which is significantly more powerful, and rear wheel drive vs all wheel xDrive, and (2) most of these people don't have the same use case as I do, and they're maybe pushing the vehicle beyond the limits I will.

-My experience: I put about 150 miles on the tires in the last 2 days and what stands out the most to me is that I can't tell the difference between the Michelin all seasons and the OEM Pirelli summer tires! This is absolute best case for me, I don't want to be able to tell the difference, but I want the confidence to drive the car normally when it's below 50 degree F (and in most cases, raining). I don't notice any "springy-ness" or "squishy-ness" whether I'm at highway speeds, making brisk 90 degree turns, or spirited driving on winding roads. I feel no difference in traction. I also think they look fine, very understated.

-For now, I'm glad I went this route. Maybe I'll change my mind when it starts to warms up E.g. I'll have FOMO and change back over to summers. But my intent is to keep these on all year so I can focus my time and attention on other things.
This is an excellent post. I live close to you. WA suburbs and going through the same dilemma. I currently have pzero summer's on my M3cx. Strongly considering Michelin pilot sport 4 all seasons next November. I don't want to waste the pirelli that the car came with. Enjoy it for a year. Mostly it will be done by then anyway.

My thinking is - If corvettes can ship from factory with these Michelin all seasons, I don't see a big reason to be too hung up on the summers. Especially given the rainy northwest.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15724.00
anakratis644.50
      01-18-2022, 11:13 PM   #7
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

I am running the Pilot sport AS 4 also for winter. They are pretty good but you do lose just a bit of road feel and turn in. Nothing like driving on winter tires though.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:16 PM   #8
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

Installed Pilot Sport A/S 4 at 550 miles on the G83 for use all year. Do not want to switch tires for winter and summer. Same A/S tires worked great all year on the F83 I previously owned.

The OEM Michelins that came on the G83 are great for summer use, but they are stacked in the garage for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #9
Hendo741
Chief Petty Officer
Rep
Drives: 22 M4CX / 22 X3MC

I recently put Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06+ on my G42 M240i and am thoroughly impressed by their performance both on dry roads and in ice/snowy conditions. While doing some testing in the M240 they were able to hold on enough to put down a 1.64 60 ft. It was 29 degrees F on unprepped roads.

A week later I took the car on a ski trip up into the mountains and it got put through its winter weather paces. The summit got 13 inches of snow one night and the G42 on the contis never missed a beat. I saw more than a few 4WD trucks having issues, but not us.

I haven't tried the PS A/S 4s yet, but I do have the PS A/S 3+ on my RS3, and the DWS06+ are just outright a better tire. Great value some of you may want to explore.
Appreciate 3
Aalfred2601.00
echtors167.00
      01-19-2023, 09:23 AM   #10
brazeagle
Registered
Rep
Drives: Land Rover Discovery

Question Pilot sport AS 4 for a 2023 M3CxDrvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for posting your circumstances, decision and early experience with tires. I'm pro-Michelin, and their Pilot Sport tire line is legit. Based on where you live and how you drive, you made the same choice I would have made.

I lost the tire lottery, so I have at least a couple summers on Pirellis until I decide with what to replace them (4S or AS4).
Hello there,
I am unable to find these tires for the staggered wheels 19 and 20 for the 2023 M3C xdrive.

Can you help?
Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 11:56 AM   #11
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX, 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazeagle View Post
Hello there,
I am unable to find these tires for the staggered wheels 19 and 20 for the 2023 M3C xdrive.

Can you help?
Thanks a lot.
Have you tried Discount tire or Costco or Tire rack. Sometimes Tirerack shows its out of stock but comes back in stock quickly. Discount tires always had the Michelins. If you can find the Conti DWS06, I would go with that if you cant find the Michelins
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 07:24 PM   #12
akbjr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

I could not agree more. Years ago I had all seasons on a manual 991 and it was great with no tire swapping garbage.

Nice write up!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 07:31 PM   #13
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I live in DC area, similar weather. Put them on in November and came from Pirelli PZeros. I agree with everyones observations. I suspect on the track you could tell, but they are damn close. I kept the P-Zeros and will put them on again next summer and burn them to undriveable. After that I will leave the All Seasons on year round, and next purchase will be the same. I just don't drive it hard enough to justify swapping back and forth.
Appreciate 2
JDUNITNOW3501.00
Aalfred2601.00
      01-20-2023, 10:57 AM   #14
Cadex
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3X Competition

+1 for the Michelin AS!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2023, 09:32 PM   #15
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ord View Post
I live in DC area, similar weather. Put them on in November and came from Pirelli PZeros. I agree with everyones observations. I suspect on the track you could tell, but they are damn close. I kept the P-Zeros and will put them on again next summer and burn them to undriveable. After that I will leave the All Seasons on year round, and next purchase will be the same. I just don't drive it hard enough to justify swapping back and forth.
I agree. I had bought a set of 827M wheels before I got the car and mine came with Pzeros. I was able to swap them to the conti DWS06 and they have been phenomenal in rain, sleet and even snow. Have driven them in -10F to 40F and they have handled great. I dont think I will notice a huge difference with summers but keeping the second set as a possible full size spare in summer and improve thread life on the Contis if I switch to the Pzeros in summer. But when r wear down, putting Contis on them too
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 04:17 AM   #16
masab321
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M4 Comp xDrive ; 2021

Garage List
I live in a similar kind of weather (West Virginia). I am using Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on my M4cx. I lost the tire lottery and car came with Pzero summers. I agree with you 100%. I switched the Pzeros to Michelin AS4 at 600 miles and was not able to appreciate any difference in the ride quality, performance and road feel. For now, I am keeping the Pzero summers but contemplating to sell them and just use the Michelin all seasons year around.
Insta: masmdm4
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2601.00
      01-21-2023, 06:01 AM   #17
davidmct-M3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i with MPSSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by masab321 View Post
I live in a similar kind of weather (West Virginia). I am using Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on my M4cx. I lost the tire lottery and car came with Pzero summers. I agree with you 100%. I switched the Pzeros to Michelin AS4 at 600 miles and was not able to appreciate any difference in the ride quality, performance and road feel. For now, I am keeping the Pzero summers but contemplating to sell them and just use the Michelin all seasons year around.

Reviews suggest there’s not much difference between pzero pz4 * and michelin P4S*. I will give a go.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 04:55 PM   #18
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmct-M3 View Post
Reviews suggest there’s not much difference between pzero pz4 * and michelin P4S*. I will give a go.
He meant the All Seasons. I think at this point, I dont know if I would even appreciate how a summer tire handles with the way the DWS06 has been. So maybe when the temps are like 80-100F, things might be a bit different. So will see if they are indeed that much noticeable difference on daily driving and occasional 100mph dashing
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 04:57 PM   #19
Aalfred
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by masab321 View Post
I agree. I have like 5 miles on my Pzeros so they are basically brand new and have a set of new 827M wheels. Still debating whether I should keep them or sell them. The tires might fetch me like $500 for 4 but they can serve as a spare if you have a flat on ur AS and tide you over till they are repaired. Thats prob the only purpose they might serve me.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 02:53 AM   #20
itrocks4u
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80, F36, E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambcisneros View Post

OP how are the AS in the rain?

I live in black diamond area and really trying to avoid two sets of wheels. Going this route might just be the case.

Where did you swap the tires, which shop? Would like to consider one that would take care of the wheels and not damage/scratch them.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #21
MaxechosM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Competition Xdrive

I’m also from WA. Marysville, (hour away from Canada).

Last winter when we had the those extreme low temps (for our state) I was on Continental DWS06+ for my model 3 performance. Had zero issues with snow and ice. From what I’ve been hearing the Michelins Pilot sport all seasons are on the same level if not a bit better.

Right now I’m still rocking the PS4S on my M3CX, seems that everything is out of stock so haven’t been able to make the switch yet.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 08:07 AM   #22
arulm3cx
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

I'm using Falken 460 A/S tires for Winters in central NC.
Appreciate 0