BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

01-16-2022, 02:26 AM   #89
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Honda doesn't seem to be convinced of EVs either in a recent report. I spoke with a Lexus rep the other day (questionable source of course) but he stated that EV sales in the US have been regional at best.

I say just let the market decide. Invest in infrastructure sure, but EVs work for some people and don't work for others. Why this power play to force it on everyone? Unfortunately politicians, especially EU ones, are more concerned with their egos than they are with common sense, facts, and freedom of choice.
Toyota and Honda will be last to hop on the EV train. They don't seem too worried about that decision either.

Last edited by M3WC; 01-16-2022 at 02:41 AM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-16-2022, 04:35 AM   #90
Admiral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 2.0D X Line G01

and it's a NO from me
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:41 AM   #91
tom2021
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Toy cars use AA battery to move the wheels.
EV is just a giant toy car.

Not for me.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      01-16-2022, 07:19 AM   #92
prompt
Car Designer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

Hell NO!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #93
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
lithium-ion based EVs are never going to be green. In order to make the EV business truly green and sustainable, we would need to switch to rechargeable and recyclable metal-free organic batteries. However, we are still 20-30 years away from that technology being truly scalable and commercializable. Lithium-ion batteries are NOT the environmentally friendly solution Elon Musk and Co want you to believe.
Not making a joke... but gasoline and diesel ARE recyclable metal-free organic batteries, it's just the recycle time is a bit longish. Mama Nature figured out the energy density awhile ago, we humans just haven figured out how to most efficiently extract the energy at minimal loss.

Just sayin'
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #94
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Who pays for it, and how much does it cost?
I would be paying for it. Only about $1000 to run the lines from the electrical room, which is in the parking garage.
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      01-18-2022, 09:03 AM   #95
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
That's mostly new buildings where this is possible, majority of the buildings I went to does not offer this as an option.
Maybe just because they have not had the foresight to look into it yet. Our building is 10 years old, and apparently easily has the capacity to electrify all the parking spots.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 09:56 PM   #96
Donatello.
How's My Driving?
Rep
Drives: Hellcat & Miata

Only electric car I have interest in is the upcoming Corvette E-Ray, but that's going to be hybrid so does that count?

No interest in a 100% EV right now
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-20-2022, 10:06 PM   #97
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
lithium-ion based EVs are never going to be green. In order to make the EV business truly green and sustainable, we would need to switch to rechargeable and recyclable metal-free organic batteries. However, we are still 20-30 years away from that technology being truly scalable and commercializable. Lithium-ion batteries are NOT the environmentally friendly solution Elon Musk and Co want you to believe.
I'm not sure this is true considering the emissions and environmental impacts of the entire supply chain for competing technologies. I'm also pretty sure you can't make a metal-free battery that's even close to competitive due to the requirements of the anode material.

This doesn't apply to you in particular, but man this thread is full of regressive BS without any real research or data to support it. I don't have the desire or time to go play fact checker but damn there is some hardcore EV scaremongering. Nothing is perfect, but it doesn't have to be. CRTs are still better at some things than LCDs but sometimes you have to make tradeoffs.

Last edited by chris719; 01-20-2022 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 2
      01-20-2022, 11:19 PM   #98
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

This doesn't apply to you in particular, but man this thread is full of regressive BS without any real research or data to support it. I don't have the desire or time to go play fact checker but damn there is some hardcore EV scaremongering. Nothing is perfect, but it doesn't have to be. CRTs are still better at some things than LCDs but sometimes you have to make tradeoffs.
Remember how bat-sh*t hyserical people got with the Prius, claiming they'd all be dead on the road in a year with piles of batteries everywhere and no way to fix them? People were absolutely scared out of their mind.
      01-20-2022, 11:50 PM   #99
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

People are weary of change.
Appreciate 3
      01-23-2022, 06:02 AM   #100
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, R56 Camden, G37x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Quote:
I'm not sure this is true considering the emissions and environmental impacts of the entire supply chain for competing technologies. I'm also pretty sure you can't make a metal-free battery that's even close to competitive due to the requirements of the anode material.

Me want piston car! Electric car bad. I no understand car. Dino juice not gone yet. Car maker also bad. They make electric car. Would burn like Carhartt but need for job grrrrr. Also no like DCT. No like paddles. Too confusing and scary.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 09:58 AM   #101
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
Me want piston car! Electric car bad. I no understand car. Dino juice not gone yet. Car maker also bad. They make electric car. Would burn like Carhartt but need for job grrrrr. Also no like DCT. No like paddles. Too confusing and scary.
Don't like foot-clutch, coordinating two feet and right hand too confusing and scary. Can't text on telephone or drink Big Gulp. Maybe right hand busy doing "other" things...

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      01-23-2022, 10:00 AM   #102
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
People are weary of change.
Exactly. Like Climate Change. LOL.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 06:16 PM   #103
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Don't like foot-clutch, coordinating two feet and right hand too confusing and scary. Can't text on telephone or drink Big Gulp. Maybe right hand busy doing "other" things...

I am a drummer and can polyrhythm, it's not a problem. I also heel toe better than most, quite expertly. Been there done that. Next!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 08:07 PM   #104
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMstein View Post
I am a drummer and can polyrhythm, it's not a problem. I also heel toe better than most, quite expertly. Been there done that. Next!
Congratulations.

Computers can polyrhythm too, just like they can shift gears...

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 01-23-2022 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:37 AM   #105
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:

Me simp. Me think manual car makes me man. Me wear dockers and pastel polo shirts.

Me wonder why wife bangs pool boy.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #106
FrankMstein
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiesnuffbox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by efthreeoh View Post
don't like foot-clutch, coordinating two feet and right hand too confusing and scary. Can't text on telephone or drink big gulp. Maybe right hand busy doing "other" things...

me simp. Me think manual car makes me man. Me wear dockers and pastel polo shirts.

😆😆😆
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #107
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Toyota and Honda will be last to hop on the EV train. They don't seem too worried about that decision either.
Until an automaker makes EV's that take sales away from Civics, Accords, Corollas, and Camry's they have no reason to make any drastic changes.
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7833.00
Efthreeoh16946.00
kyriian872.00
Cos270608.50
      01-25-2022, 06:11 AM   #108
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Me simp. Me think manual car makes me man. Me wear dockers and pastel polo shirts.

You have a pool?

I swim in the river out in front of my house.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:32 AM   #109
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
EVs are not for everybody. Neither are sports cars or minivans. The measure of success here doesn’t need to be ‘everybody has one.’

I live in a house in the suburbs, and plug mine into a slow ass 120v regular wall outlet. Works just fine for my needs (taking the kids to school, gym, errands). No hassle at all and it’s been the only car I’ve ever had with 0 problems. When my wife goes to her 6am workout, she can hop in the X7 if she wants. It’s freezing cold this time of year, and might need gas. Or she can take the i3, which is on a timer to be warm and toasty when she gets in, and will have a full charge. You can guess what she does.

If you require a 6MT, exhaust noise, or road trip capability that’s fair, everybody has their own needs/wants. Saying they’re ‘not ready’ though is a bit like saying loafers aren’t ready because you need to go hiking. Get what suits your needs. Better yet, have more than one pair of shoes.
Exactly this. EV's aren't for everyone. My commute is only 20 mins (if you commute 100+ miles a day, obviously not for you) so I would love an electric midsized truck. It would fit my needs perfectly as I don't tow, don't take cross country road trips weekly and have other cars at my disposal.

It's the complete antithesis of my M cars, but exactly why I'd like one in the future (the ICE cars stay).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #110
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Exactly this. EV's aren't for everyone. My commute is only 20 mins (if you commute 100+ miles a day, obviously not for you) so I would love an electric midsized truck. It would fit my needs perfectly as I don't tow, don't take cross country road trips weekly and have other cars at my disposal.

It's the complete antithesis of my M cars, but exactly why I'd like one in the future (the ICE cars stay).
20 mins is too far, my commute is about 45 feet.
Appreciate 1
Fined243.00