BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-15-2022, 02:03 PM   #1
thegrandfacade
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp RWD

Pressure Washers At Self-Service Car Washes

Is there any risk a vehicle's paint by using only the pressure washer functionality at a self-service car wash? Poor water quality? Too high of water pressure?

I live in an apartment in NYC and am planning to get all of my own rags/mits/cleaners/etc, but have no reasonable way to store/use my own pressure washer.

I'm also considering going the "waterless wash" route for ease, but I feel like a "traditional" wash would be the better way to go.

(As a note: my G82 is fully PPF'd and ceramic coated)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 02:08 PM   #2
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandfacade View Post
Is there any risk a vehicle's paint by using only the pressure washer functionality at a self-service car wash? Poor water quality? Too high of water pressure?

I live in an apartment in NYC and am planning to get all of my own rags/mits/cleaners/etc, but have no reasonable way to store/use my own pressure washer.

I'm also considering going the "waterless wash" route for ease, but I feel like a "traditional" wash would be the better way to go.

(As a note: my G82 is fully PPF'd and ceramic coated)
Man if you're ppf'd just take it to a hand wash place
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2022, 03:18 PM   #3
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I wouldn't worry about it. I'd prefer the pressure washer over waterless. If you think the pressure is too high just move back a few inches. The pressure drops substantially with a little distance.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 04:43 AM   #4
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfit View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd prefer the pressure washer over waterless. If you think the pressure is too high just move back a few inches. The pressure drops substantially with a little distance.
+1. The water may be hard (have minerals) but at least you're not introducing abrasions by running a cloth over the paint/PPF while it has particles resting atop it. If I need a quick clean between (my own) hand washes, I'll run my car through a self-serve wash (high-pressure rinse only) and air dry it (the establishment is in a 55-mph zone).
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 04:37 PM   #5
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Youll be fine. Just stay far enough from the paint and the edges of the PPF. Its common sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
cubanbimmer3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G83, X5 m50i

I live in an apartment, so don't have a driveway to hand wash. I take my own supplies to a self-car wash and two bucket method with their water/soap. Have had zero swirling/scratching issues on my BSM G05 m50. FWIW I have 50% PPF and full ceramic on the car.
Appreciate 0