Technical Sections Wheels / Tires

12-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #1
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
18-inch wheel fitment

Most here seem to be doing 19s for winter use and square setups seem to dominate. My question is: Has anyone put a (square) set of 18s on an G8X?
      12-24-2021, 06:55 PM   #2
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
Most here seem to be doing 19s for winter use and square setups seem to dominate. My question is: Has anyone put a (square) set of 18s on an G8X?
Also curious. Can you run the 18 inch 824M fronts front and rear? If yes, what spacers are needed (if any) to mount them on the rear? This seems like a good route to get 18 inch snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgemini2000 View Post
Also curious. Can you run the 18 inch 824M fronts front and rear? If yes, what spacers are needed (if any) to mount them on the rear? This seems like a good route to get 18 inch snow tires.
Agree. I took delivery today and the car is going to be stuck in the garage for a week or more due to winter storms. I may just jack it up and swap front to back to try...
      12-24-2021, 10:39 PM   #4
gotgemini2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G80 & E46 M3, 6 speed manuals

Quote:
Agree. I took delivery today and the car is going to be stuck in the garage for a week or more due to winter storms. I may just jack it up and swap front to back to try...
Please share details if you do. Want to go this route on mine when it gets in
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 02:50 AM   #5
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotgemini2000 View Post
If you could do this, I'd be eternally grateful.

I'm still debating on what to do myself. I don't like BMW's 829M wheel so I don't want to get them. I'd also prefer a genuine winter and snow tyre like Michelin's X-Ice or Bridgestone's Blizzak WS90 that can be had in 245/40/18 and 255/35/18 respectively. I know the front will fit but am unsure about the rear.

I've also noticed that you can get Continental VikingContact 7's in 255/35/19.. which should fit the 19's of the 826M wheels, but I'd need another front set of wheels for the rear.

Damn.
Gone but not forgotten: 991.1 GT3, F80 M3 ZCP, E46 M3
Appreciate 1
Llarry15880.50
      12-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #6
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post
My garage floor is flooded with melting snow from the cars and c-c-cold, so I'm putting this off. Sorry.

That said, unless there is something very odd about the rear calipers, I fail to see how the front 18-inch wheel won't fit on the rear.

Last edited by Llarry; 12-29-2021 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #7
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
The only consideration is that it may look like crap due to narrower rim/tire and thus require a spacer.

If you're talking about trying to run a base OEM 18 front wheel and tire on the rear, I don't think it will "look like crap...and thus require a spacer" from a width/offset perspective. Plenty of us are running OEM and OEM-spec aftermarket 19 front wheels and (winter) tires without spacers on the rear, and with OEM width and offset, the half inch of additional tuck on the outside is subtle, and still looks fine. I believe off the top of my head that OEM 18 is still a 275 width front tire (with 20 offset wheel), so should be the same overall dimensions as the 19.

I have received a TON of compliments in the real world on my 19x9.5 stock offset square set VMR winter wheels, no spacers. Not one comment about looking like crap or needing spacers in the rear
Appreciate 1
Llarry15880.50
      12-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower View Post
If you're talking about trying to run a base OEM 18 front wheel and tire on the rear, I don't think it will "look like crap...and thus require a spacer" from a width/offset perspective. Plenty of us are running OEM and OEM-spec aftermarket 19 front wheels and (winter) tires without spacers on the rear, and with OEM width and offset, the half inch of additional tuck on the outside is subtle, and still looks fine. I believe off the top of my head that OEM 18 is still a 275 width front tire (with 20 offset wheel), so should be the same overall dimensions as the 19.

I have received a TON of compliments in the real world on my 19x9.5 stock offset square set VMR winter wheels, no spacers. Not one comment about looking like crap or needing spacers in the rear
No offense intended -- with the narrower wheel and (slightly) narrower front tire on the rear, the outside edge of the tire should be about 10mm (?) farther in. With plenty of owners adding spacers to bring 'em out, I would guess that will not be as popular a look. As you say, the extra half-inch is subtle. "Look like crap" was an unfortunate expression on my part and I apologize.

I like the look of the V710s with square setup as you have with your winters. In fact, I contacted VMR but they were out of stock and I've now decided to stay with my OE BMW 824M wheels, either in the original Orbit Gray or maybe powder-coated silver.

As I posted above, I've given up on test-fitting the front wheel/tire combo on the rear myself, but hope to get to a tire store soon (when I can safely drive after the snow and ice melts) and will ask them to do a fit-check when they are changing over my tires.

Last edited by Llarry; 12-29-2021 at 09:30 AM..
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2021, 12:07 PM   #9
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
No offense intended -- with the narrower wheel and (slightly) narrower front tire on the rear, the outside edge of the tire should be about 10mm (?) farther in. With plenty of owners adding spacers to bring 'em out, I would guess that will not be as popular a look. As you say, the extra half-inch is subtle. "Look like crap" was an unfortunate expression on my part and I apologize.

I like the look of the V710s with square setup as you have with your winters. In fact, I contacted VMR but they were out of stock and I've now decided to stay with my OE BMW 824M wheels, either in the original Orbit Gray or maybe powder-coated silver.

As I posted above, I've given up on test-fitting the front wheel/tire combo on the rear myself, but hope to get to a tire store soon (when I can safely drive after the snow and ice melts) and will ask them to do a fit-check when they are changing over my tires.
No worries at all, no offense taken! Everybody has different preferences (and different budgets and spending/mod priorities), and since so many people around the world seem to use this forum as a great reference source for these exciting cars (I know I did...for YEARS...before joining a few months ago), I just wanted to share my experience and personal opinion that spending extra money on spacers for this use case isn't absolutely necessary (and ironically, for winter use, the extra half inch of outside tuck is helpful in protecting the side of the car and paint from winter road grime).

I took the money I saved from not getting spacers, and got some awesome weathertech liners for the footwells and trunk!
Appreciate 1
Llarry15880.50
      01-06-2022, 03:28 AM   #10
Llarry
///M driver
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, that didn't go too well -- I requested the fit check of the front wheel on the rear and they agreed, but forgot.

I still say it's a no-brainer -- front wheel & tire will fit on the back, but I can't prove it.
      01-13-2022, 09:21 PM   #11
moodyhank82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 45e & G87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhsanU View Post

I'm still debating on what to do myself. I don't like BMW's 829M wheel so I don't want to get them. I'd also prefer a genuine winter and snow tyre like Michelin's X-Ice or Bridgestone's Blizzak WS90 that can be had in 245/40/18 and 255/35/18 respectively. I know the front will fit but am unsure about the rear.

I've also noticed that you can get Continental VikingContact 7's in 255/35/19.. which should fit the 19's of the 826M wheels, but I'd need another front set of wheels for the rear.

Damn.
Nokian Hakka R3 has 275/40r18 and 275/35r19 that would absolutely work with the base 824 wheels though I would imagine it would require a custom order with a Nokian dealer. Currently running the R3s in my G05 and they are amazing in snow and ice.

Last edited by moodyhank82; 01-13-2022 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
Llarry15880.50