BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #67
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 GLA45AMG(his) / '21 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightedBMW View Post
I think you're overthinking it regarding the priority, but maybe I'm wrong.

As for the slow roll out, I could definitely see it being to not overwhelm the dealers and BMW. I scheduled this 3 weeks out just to get a loaner. The dealer, which is very large and brand new, with a huge shop, is only working at half capacity due to COVID. If there were 500+ cars all in for this recall simultaneously, all needing engines, it could be a major issue.

Hopefully I'll look back in the not so distant future and not care about it anymore.

Btw...mid afternoon update:

SA texted me today and let me know the parts director of the dealership informed him that the ETA of the engine is the end of next week. Hope that holds!

I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm over thinking it.

But I'm glad the engine will arrive next week. Hopefully you'll be up and driving by early the following week. It goes without saying, but don't forget to break the 'new' engine in
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 01:45 PM   #68
vj123
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3c - sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GixY2K View Post
I wonder if BMW is triaging this recall by type of ownership. Meaning, leases take priority over financed, and those over paid in full. Since they want to show due diligence on vehicles they own or the bank owns vs. customer. But I think I'm just a little paranoiac in this respect.
OEMs or Tier 1 cannot classify customers based on the aspect you mentioned for any warranty claims or recalls. They will be bombarded with litigations and/or fines if this gets exposed and i dont think anyone will take a chance.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:41 PM   #69
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm over thinking it.

But I'm glad the engine will arrive next week. Hopefully you'll be up and driving by early the following week. It goes without saying, but don't forget to break the 'new' engine in
Let's hope! I still don't believe its going to show up next week, but I hope to be surprised.

I've also asked whether or not I'll be subject to another 1200 mile break in. The SA "thinks" the engine may come broken in and the diff fluid has already been changed in the car, so he doesn't "think" I'll need to do another break in. Obviously this is just him speculating.

Who knows.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:01 PM   #70
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update: Engine WILL require another break in. Fuck me!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:54 PM   #71
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: Engine WILL require another break in. Fuck me!
Blessing in disguised, my friend. A chance for a new & better beginning. I'd be happy as hell. Brake-in is not too bad with the M4. What I don't like is that the ODO is not going to reflect the miles on the new engine.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #72
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Blessing in disguised, my friend. A chance for a new & better beginning. I'd be happy as hell. Brake-in is not too bad with the M4. What I don't like is that the ODO is not going to reflect the miles on the new engine.
Getting to break in for me is tough. I do like 20 miles a day. I guess I'll be needing to do some extended seat time.

The odo thing is what it is. You get a replacement motor at 60k miles, odo will stay at 60k miles (unless its done somewhere not so legit). Odo should never change.

I agree, the fact that its got 2500 miles on it with a motor with 0 miles on it doesn't match up, but that's the way it is. Nothing I can do about it.

Again, glad I leased this one.

I just want it back!
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-17-2022, 01:57 PM   #73
DoubleDave
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

I dodged the recall bullet it seems. Took my car in for break-in service an no recalls according to my service advisor.

Good luck KnightedBMW
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #74
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDave View Post
I dodged the recall bullet it seems. Took my car in for break-in service an no recalls according to my service advisor.

Good luck KnightedBMW
Thanks. Glad it worked out for you.

As of yesterday, I’m being told by my SA they’re still expecting the engine by the end of this week. He said the ETA is end of week with no confirmed date, which seems odd and doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies.

I pressed him on how they could have an ETA for end of week with no confirmed date. He said this is typical for orders coming from Germany; they do not get tracking.

I pressed further and said do you really think it is showing up this week?

He responded simply with “Friday.”

I hope he’s right!

Last edited by KnightedBMW; 01-18-2022 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 05:24 PM   #75
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Today’s update:

SA confirms engine is in the US and has been dispatched for shipment to the dealer! Said it should be there tomorrow (possibly Monday).

I’m seriously in shock that it arrived!
Appreciate 5
DoubleDave1175.00
HTTP 4102141.50
Limegrntaln13436.50
GixY2K517.00
      01-20-2022, 10:08 PM   #76
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Today’s update:

SA confirms engine is in the US and has been dispatched for shipment to the dealer! Said it should be there tomorrow (possibly Monday).

I’m seriously in shock that it arrived!
That is awesome news. How long were they thinking the work would take once it’s at the service department?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13436.50
      01-21-2022, 01:07 AM   #77
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
My car also falls under the dates of affected build dates, but my car doesnt show up as needing anything. I see 2 options that I would be considering if my car was affected.

1. No dealerships want drama. Besides getting a lawyer involved, I had a friend have an issue with a brand new car he'd bought at a dealer. He bought the car on a night when it was pouring rain, so, the dealer agreed for him to come back at a later date, for a full detail.

He came back a week later, with over 800 miles on the car to get the car detailed. Well, they used a harsh acid to remove some water spots on the windows, and some had leaked onto the sills and eaten the paint, which started to rust. The dealer offered to fix it, my buddy wanted a new car. Dealer said, no way.

He calls Channel 3 news, one of those "Channel 3 on your side" teams brought a bunch of cameras down to the dealer, and got into the sales managers and the service guys faces, and he ended up with a new car.

2. Get BMW to agree to get you out of the lease, and order another car, and when the car gets here, trade yours in. Used cars are bringing top dollar, right now. You're still probably in positive equity.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 05:31 AM   #78
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
My car also falls under the dates of affected build dates, but my car doesnt show up as needing anything. I see 2 options that I would be considering if my car was affected.

1. No dealerships want drama. Besides getting a lawyer involved, I had a friend have an issue with a brand new car he'd bought at a dealer. He bought the car on a night when it was pouring rain, so, the dealer agreed for him to come back at a later date, for a full detail.

He came back a week later, with over 800 miles on the car to get the car detailed. Well, they used a harsh acid to remove some water spots on the windows, and some had leaked onto the sills and eaten the paint, which started to rust. The dealer offered to fix it, my buddy wanted a new car. Dealer said, no way.

He calls Channel 3 news, one of those "Channel 3 on your side" teams brought a bunch of cameras down to the dealer, and got into the sales managers and the service guys faces, and he ended up with a new car.

2. Get BMW to agree to get you out of the lease, and order another car, and when the car gets here, trade yours in. Used cars are bringing top dollar, right now. You're still probably in positive equity.
I just want my car back. I have no desire to get a news crew; especially went this isn’t a dealers fault. This is a BMW issue, not a local dealer issue.

As for getting them to buy it back, then what? Go back out into the car market? No thanks. It’s a nightmare out there as I’m sure you’re aware. Even if BMW got me another allocation, look at all the QC, stop sale delays, etc.

Assuming the car gets fixed, just give it back to me.

But I agree, if this becomes more of an issue stemming from the repair, they will be taking it back, one way or another.
Appreciate 2
GixY2K517.00
Limegrntaln13436.50
      01-21-2022, 06:01 AM   #79
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
That is awesome news. How long were they thinking the work would take once it’s at the service department?
Shouldn’t be more than a couple days to install/road test, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:51 AM   #80
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update: engine is at the dealer! Waiting on estimated timeframe for completion. Obviously want this done right.

SA says master tech stated this will all be done by end of the month but waiting to get a more solid timeframe. Biggest hurdle was getting the engine here from Germany, so we’re definitely moving in the right direction!
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13436.50
DoubleDave1175.00
HTTP 4102141.50
chicagofan0019141.50
      01-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #81
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update: engine is at the dealer! Waiting on estimated timeframe for completion. Obviously want this done right.

SA says master tech stated this will all be done by end of the month but waiting to get a more solid timeframe. Biggest hurdle was getting the engine here from Germany, so we’re definitely moving in the right direction!
I'm glad to hear that they are working on it already. This is the part where you just want them to take their time doing it right, but at the same time, making sure their master mechanic is not putting it on the back burner.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:10 AM   #82
GixY2K
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm on the same boat where my "built date" is involved in the recall, but online and the dealership show nothing once the VIN# is checked.

I'll be happy with a new engine, myself, if the recall extends to included my car. Your suggestion would probably sit on the table as an option if things got ugly, but not if BMW and the dealership show due diligence.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:12 AM   #83
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that they are working on it already. This is the part where you just want them to take their time doing it right, but at the same time, making sure their master mechanic is not putting it on the back burner.
Agreed. This definitely is not on the back burner. That much, I know.
Appreciate 1
GixY2K517.00
      01-21-2022, 11:19 AM   #84
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I think you're lucky to get a new motor in the timeframe they were able to get it. This is still a fairly fresh issue, and I can't imagine there are many people at the stage you're at, with getting the motor replaced. I believe people are in for long wait times.

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:53 AM   #85
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you're lucky to get a new motor in the timeframe they were able to get it. This is still a fairly fresh issue, and I can't imagine there are many people at the stage you're at, with getting the motor replaced. I believe people are in for long wait times.
I tend to agree. Sort of shocked that it actually showed up when they said it would. I also think I’m likely one of the first needing this so BMW probably wants to ensure it’s done right as it may be the model example.

I can’t imagine an engine coming from Germany much quicker than it did under the circumstances and I’m happy I got in when I did as you’re right, the delays will probably begin to mount if there’s many others in this situation.
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13436.50
isenc2145.00
      01-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #86
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Good news regarding the engine and hopefully your back on the road soon.
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 07:09 AM   #87
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
Good news regarding the engine and hopefully your back on the road soon.
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 01:29 PM   #88
Topcarbon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 m4

I apologize for this post
Is there an easy way to determine if my car which I have not taken delivery yet(in Mexico)is affected by this recall?
I really appreciate the forum members help
Appreciate 0