Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-04-2022, 03:16 PM   #1
shapiros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Timeline for BBK availability?

Any idea when Brembo/StopTech etc. will release BBKs for the G80? I would assume they would want to try to get them to market before the upcoming track season.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #2
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiros View Post
Any idea when Brembo/StopTech etc. will release BBKs for the G80? I would assume they would want to try to get them to market before the upcoming track season.
Do you think it needs it? Most people think the brakes with track pads are very good.
The rear brakes look a little weak but most of the stopping is in the front. I can't see too many looking for a very expensive BBK at this point. They would have just optioned Carbon Ceramics if that was a concern. Can't see there being a big market for a BBK for this car at this point?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
The front caliper doesn't really need changing when paired with a good track pad as it's plenty capable. It would be a waste to change those.

Only part that needs an upgrade is the rear to get bigger pads and I haven't heard of anything. It's still too soon with shortages everywhere, but I'm sure someone will come out with a bracket to retrofit a better caliper to be mounted in the rear.
      01-05-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
shapiros
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryc365 View Post
Do you think it needs it? Most people think the brakes with track pads are very good.
The rear brakes look a little weak but most of the stopping is in the front. I can't see too many looking for a very expensive BBK at this point. They would have just optioned Carbon Ceramics if that was a concern. Can't see there being a big market for a BBK for this car at this point?
I don't know, I don't have my car yet. Just thought it was interesting that there aren't aftermarket BBK's available given that the M3 is probably one of the more tracked cars out there and certainly a BBK is a relatively common mod, for both performance and aesthetic reasons.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapiros View Post
Quote:
I don't know, I don't have my car yet. Just thought it was interesting that there aren't aftermarket BBK's available given that the M3 is probably one of the more tracked cars out there and certainly a BBK is a relatively common mod, for both performance and aesthetic reasons.
Not needed on this car at all. The front has a 'BBK' already. Rear you could Make the case potentially but I can't see the market for it right now really. Brakes are very good
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 12:08 AM   #6
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Not needed on this car at all. The front has a 'BBK' already. Rear you could Make the case potentially but I can't see the market for it right now really. Brakes are very good
I've been tracking my tuned X3m for some time now. It's no G80 M3, but it has over 700hp ( achieved a 10.5 sec 1/4 mile as an indicator of its straight line speed) and I am regularly in the top 3 of 20 - 30 cars at the circuit in it - albeit mostly casual guys, however many are running better tyres, BBK and so on with F80's and M2 comps.

My X3m runs Cup 2 tyres and the brakes went from woeful to very reliable after I bolted on F90 - M5 calipers and made proper ducts which go all the way to the disc (see pics). I also run SRF fluid.

I am mentioning this as the M5 calipers are supposed to be identical to those on the new M3.

With 600lb less weight and better cornering speed, I think a G80 will do very well with just brake ducts and proper fluid. Really serious track guys will want to go further but unless you are doing endurance racers or at the point where you're running slicks these brakes are very impressive.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      01-06-2022, 06:45 AM   #7
D_SheerDrivingPleasure
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
Quote:
I've been tracking my tuned X3m for some time now. It's no G80 M3, but it has over 700hp ( achieved a 10.5 sec 1/4 mile as an indicator of its straight line speed) and I am regularly in the top 3 of 20 - 30 cars at the circuit in it - albeit mostly casual guys, however many are running better tyres, BBK and so on with F80's and M2 comps.

My X3m runs Cup 2 tyres and the brakes went from woeful to very reliable after I bolted on F90 - M5 calipers and made proper ducts which go all the way to the disc (see pics). I also run SRF fluid.

I am mentioning this as the M5 calipers are supposed to be identical to those on the new M3.

With 600lb less weight and better cornering speed, I think a G80 will do very well with just brake ducts and proper fluid. Really serious track guys will want to go further but unless you are doing endurance racers or at the point where you're running slicks these brakes are very impressive.
wow! bravo. I have do many questions starting with why?

How many track days does that beast need to eat through cup2s?

in what mode do you track? can you fully disable TC?

Does the X3 forum have an active track/dragstrip discussion folder?

What tracks do you drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 08:01 AM   #8
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post

Do the x3m/x4m have the clip on duct covers for the brake ducts in the wheel well? King be a good idea to order another set of those and modify a flange for that ducting on it instead of having it shoved into the duct. Definitely would help flow. Good idea though I'm saving this for my car.

That cover is 51718070703 if anyone else would like to try for g80.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #9
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_SheerDrivingPleasure View Post
wow! bravo. I have do many questions starting with why?

How many track days does that beast need to eat through cup2s?

in what mode do you track? can you fully disable TC?

Does the X3 forum have an active track/dragstrip discussion folder?

What tracks do you drive?
Haha, yeah I have wondered "why" myself quite a bit!

My main motivation is to prove that a) HP makes a huge difference at the race track and b) the driver is the most important element when tracking, assuming the car is reasonably well sorted.

Now, while I am no race driver. I am very comfortable pushing a car to 100%, so there is only a small percentage between myself and a great driver. This is in comparison to many amateur track guys who leave a huge amount on the table, never having pushed their cars.

They have no idea how hard a car can brake, what g's a car is capable of, and no doubt the fear of ruining their cars is quite high!

I drive with all nannies completely off, they def slow me down otherwise. All options in sports plus, trans in S3, DSC off.
I first tracked cars over 20 years ago (with cars made in the 70's and 80's) so nannies are relatively new to me.

The X3M guys aren't really into tracking, haha. I use the opportunities like this to escape the Dad forum as obviously there's a bigger M3 track culture.

I estimate I'll get 4-5 track days out of my Cup 2's. My tracks; Baskerville and Symmons Plains in Tas, Australia are only 2km long (1.25 miles) and I really try to keep hot laps down to 5-6 max before cool down lap.
The cup 2's being 275's only are the biggest inhibitor imo. I'd love to run 305's or even wider all round, but they don't exist in 21's.

All of this said, I am very excited to move to a G80 - M3 mid year, will be confirming my order this week. I have a track focused Mini Cooper S and it is frustrating that it laps slightly faster than my X3M while only hitting 185 kph down the back straight vs 210 kph for the X3!

Once on track tyres and sorted suspension the m3 should outhandle the Mini and out accelerate the X3. That is going to be phenomenal.

If you want to read about a bit of fun I had recently, thread here on page 8 is a laugh:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...1728973&page=8
Appreciate 1