home
Technical Sections Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

01-02-2022, 10:56 AM   #1
Mr Loco M5
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw F90 M5

Camber post drop

Hey guys, do we have the capability to adjust camber after lowering? Is it even needed with these cars? I’m coming from a hellcat and even a modest drop has eaten away at the inside of my tires. If there are adjustable camber kits needed and you have a link, please feel free to add it. If it’s not needed, even better 😂

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 12:56 PM   #2
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco_coco View Post
Hey guys, do we have the capability to adjust camber after lowering? Is it even needed with these cars? I’m coming from a hellcat and even a modest drop has eaten away at the inside of my tires. If there are adjustable camber kits needed and you have a link, please feel free to add it. If it’s not needed, even better 😂

Thanks in advance!
Front camber is not adjustable and it's around -2.0.

Rear camber is adjustable up to -2.5
      01-03-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
BardG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M550xi

Is there a risk by lowering the car we can mess up the intended geometry and integrity of the BMW suspension design? When I read McLaren720s comment it makes me wonder if lowering car would no longer have the car "firmly planted on the pavement", if you know what I mean... (Or I am missing something?)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 12:33 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Is there a risk by lowering the car we can mess up the intended geometry and integrity of the BMW suspension design? When I read McLaren720s comment it makes me wonder if lowering car would no longer have the car "firmly planted on the pavement", if you know what I mean... (Or I am missing something?)
My car is dropped around 35mm front and 30mm rear, I was able to get it aligned within spec. The measurement most forget about and should care more for is Toe which creates dragging and extreme wear... camber is fine in the 2 degree range unless all one does is drive straight and never turns. Contact patch is secure.

The Verstappen's track monsters will chime in with their amazing track stories on OEM suspensions vs the ones modded here in this section (I dont track this car).
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #5
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Changing the suspension geometry requires an alignment which reconfigures it to your liking or default parameters. It's just the front camber that you can't do anything about.

Also, lowering the car brings down the center of gravity which actually helps the car be and feel more planted.

I'm very happy with the MSS HAS both on the street and track. It's very close to stock, in fact you I can't tell much difference.
      01-03-2022, 12:44 PM   #6
keiridin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

I just had KW HAS put on last week and know I need to drive before bringing it in for an alignment. I don't plan on tracking the car or overly concerned with performance but I do care about tire preservation.

How many miles is recommended before bringing it in for an alignment?

Can I bring it to any tire shop such as Tire Kingdom or Tires Plus or do I have to go to a specialty shop that knows how to deal with lowered cars and spacers?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2022, 03:35 PM   #7
McLaren720s
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keiridin View Post
I just had KW HAS put on last week and know I need to drive before bringing it in for an alignment. I don't plan on tracking the car or overly concerned with performance but I do care about tire preservation.

How many miles is recommended before bringing it in for an alignment?

Can I bring it to any tire shop such as Tire Kingdom or Tires Plus or do I have to go to a specialty shop that knows how to deal with lowered cars and spacers?
I'd drive it a few hundreds of miles before getting an alignment. I waited one month. You want to make sure it's at settled as possible before getting the alignment.

Any shop that does alignments can do it for you, although some shops won't work with cars that have spacers on which is truly bizarre to me.
      01-04-2022, 05:30 AM   #8
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco_coco View Post

Thanks in advance!
The only adjustment option available at the moment is adjustable lower control arms. These are generally more expensive than getting adjustable strut tops.
I plan on getting the control arms to go the other way, wind on more camber for the track, but nothing is stopping you buying them to reduce camber, they should allow adjustment either way.

https://studiorsr.com/products/spl-f...or-g80-m3-2021

Note, there may be other alternatives to what these guys offer, this was just easiest to find.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2022, 08:53 PM   #9
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
The only adjustment option available at the moment is adjustable lower control arms. These are generally more expensive than getting adjustable strut tops.
I plan on getting the control arms to go the other way, wind on more camber for the track, but nothing is stopping you buying them to reduce camber, they should allow adjustment either way.

https://studiorsr.com/products/spl-f...or-g80-m3-2021

Note, there may be other alternatives to what these guys offer, this was just easiest to find.
Just be cautous using these on AWD cars, pushing the wheel hub/spindle towards the outside of the car can cause problems with axles.
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
BardG210.50
      01-23-2022, 05:19 PM   #10
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLF69 View Post
Just be cautous using these on AWD cars, pushing the wheel hub/spindle towards the outside of the car can cause problems with axles.
Good tip, I didn't think of that.

May be a safer option moving the tops in now that a few companies are offering the strut tops.
Appreciate 1
PLF693762.50