BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

08-02-2021, 01:45 PM   #1
thegrandfacade
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Comp RWD

Question 2022 G82 x iPod Classic

Feeling a mix of excitement and terror at my first brand new car purchase Found a dealer with one 2022 allocation left and snagged it late last week. I've been reading a lot of threads on this forum, and have kind of a unique problem, so I'm starting a new one.

I have a massive digital music library (45,000 songs / 390GB) that I have stored both on my computer, as well as on a custom built, 1TB iPod Classic (sweetest thing ever). I simply used the aux input on my last car to play music off my iPod, but as there won't be one on my G82, I'm trying to figure out another solution.

I'm ideally hoping to avoid bluetooth solutions, as sound quality / connectivity is variable, but I'm not sure what other routes I have. I know that there's a standard USB port in the armrest, but even if I connect an old 30pin cable to it, I'm pretty sure all that will do is charge the iPod.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #2
corbs09
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335i

You can connect a aux to usb-c cord and it should work... Do you have it backed up to the cloud?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 03:55 PM   #3
thegrandfacade
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbs09 View Post
You can connect a aux to usb-c cord and it should work... Do you have it backed up to the cloud?
I thought that there was only a standard USB port inside the armrest? I know there are (2) USB-C ports in the back, where the rear air vent is, but I assumed those were only for charging purposes.

Also, I thought USB-C to AUX cables only worked in one direction (with USB-C as for audio in, and AUX for the audio out) and in this scenario, it would have to be reversed.

I don't have this music backed up to any cloud, due to the massive size of the library. I have physical backups on multiple SSDs.

Last edited by thegrandfacade; 08-02-2021 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: Left out part of response
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 10:34 PM   #4
kwilliams312
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

it's my understanding you can put a usb-c ssd in the armrest and access it via iDrive. Otherwise maybe an iPod touch or a DAP like the FiiO M11 Pro
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
thegrandfacade
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilliams312 View Post
it's my understanding you can put a usb-c ssd in the armrest and access it via iDrive. Otherwise maybe an iPod touch or a DAP like the FiiO M11 Pro
I've considered experimenting with either a 512GB thumb drive or SSD, but ideally I'd like to make use of the iPod, as it already has everything loaded on it / organized (plus I love the functionality of the click-wheel).

Those FiiO players seem really cool, but again, as I've already bought the custom iPod, I'd rather not spend money on another player.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 02:30 AM   #6
kamichael
BMW M on my mind
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22 M3, 23 M2, 24 X5 50e

Garage List
Could you try using a 1 TB usb-c SSD drive or is the content in your library protected on Apple?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2021, 01:16 PM   #7
kwilliams312
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamichael View Post
Could you try using a 1 TB usb-c SSD drive or is the content in your library protected on Apple?
I picked up a tiny 2TB samsung USB-C SSD for ~ $200. It's working great with my FLAC library.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2021, 09:26 AM   #8
emescopa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandfacade View Post

Any suggestions?
So I basically do the same thing, albeit with an iPod Nano.

Apologies in advance as this isn't apples to apples so may be completely unhelpful, but...
In my '18 F82 (LCI, so iD6) I connect via the standard USB port in the armrest and it pulls up as its own media input source with (what looks to me as) full iPod functionality directly through iD.

Now, whether it works the same with G8X and iD7 (?) and/or armrest USB port I've no idea, but I am taking delivery of a '22 M3Cx this week and will test it out if you/we don't get confirmation sooner.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:30 PM   #9
botan22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Can anyone share any further experience (success or otherwise) on this topic?
I just got X3 2022 and when trying to connect my iPod Classic the car (iDrive) says that USB device is not supported.
It worked just fine in my Honda CRV 2013 with Honda's media system showing music from iPod and allowing to control playback.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2021, 03:12 PM   #10
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Just to add a thought. Apple CarPlay uses WiFi, not Bluetooth. I'm assuming the music does too. Might that be better quality? Maybe you don't need a wired solution.

Not an audiophile, so this comment may be off base.
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #11
botan22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbethesda View Post
Just to add a thought. Apple CarPlay uses WiFi, not Bluetooth. I'm assuming the music does too. Might that be better quality? Maybe you don't need a wired solution.

The original question (and mine) was about ipod classic which only supports wired connection. Either via 3.5mm jack or via proprietary 30-pin connector that converts to usb. So no, unfortunately Bluetooth or wifi are not the solution.

Interestingly enough the driver's guide for my car says "The music search and playback of Apple
iPod/iPhone/iPad is supported" and yet idrive says "USB device is not supported" when I connect ipod classic...

Hence asking for any success stories for similar setups
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
jimbethesda
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by botan22 View Post
Quote:

The original question (and mine) was about ipod classic which only supports wired connection. Either via 3.5mm jack or via proprietary 30-pin connector that converts to usb. So no, unfortunately Bluetooth or wifi are not the solution.

Interestingly enough the driver's guide for my car says "The music search and playback of Apple
iPod/iPhone/iPad is supported" and yet idrive says "USB device is not supported" when I connect ipod classic...

Hence asking for any success stories for similar setups
The solution to that, I know. Go buy a new device!
2015 M3 (sold)
2022 G83
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 06:27 PM   #13
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrandfacade View Post
Feeling a mix of excitement and terror at my first brand new car purchase Found a dealer with one 2022 allocation left and snagged it late last week. I've been reading a lot of threads on this forum, and have kind of a unique problem, so I'm starting a new one.

I have a massive digital music library (45,000 songs / 390GB) that I have stored both on my computer, as well as on a custom built, 1TB iPod Classic (sweetest thing ever). I simply used the aux input on my last car to play music off my iPod, but as there won't be one on my G82, I'm trying to figure out another solution.

I'm ideally hoping to avoid bluetooth solutions, as sound quality / connectivity is variable, but I'm not sure what other routes I have. I know that there's a standard USB port in the armrest, but even if I connect an old 30pin cable to it, I'm pretty sure all that will do is charge the iPod.

Any suggestions?
If sound quality is what you are looking for then replace this iPod with a 2TB SSD and convert your music library to lossless - the OEM HU in the G82 play lossless.

Anything else will be a compromise in sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #14
botan22
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The solution to that, I know. Go buy a new device!
I did give USB thumb drive a try - just copied everything from iPod to that drive including files in Apple lossless format.
It seems to work fine and is an acceptable solution for me as I just want to be able to have that music in the car all the time without taking space on my phone.

For people who actually want to be able to take the iPod out of the car (e.g. for some fitness activity) I think this thread is the most comprehensive on the matter: https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/14203...tivity-thread/
(and importantly does not involve people completely giving up)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 11:22 AM   #15
thegrandfacade
Rep

Kicking this back up, as I finally got my G82 and have had a chance to try out various options with my iPod Classic, none of which have been successful sadly:

1) USB-C to Lightning cable, w/ Lightning to 30-Pin adapter, plugged into the armrest's USB-C port - iDrive doesn't recognize the device (no message displayed), nor does it charge the device

2) USB-A to 30-Pin cable, plugged into the cupholder's USB-A port - iDrive device incompatibility message, but it does charge the device

3) Kokkia i10s 30-Pin Bluetooth transmitter - only works with devices that use standard, simple pairing codes (i.e. 0000, 1111, 1234), and it doesn't seem possible to change the pairing code in the iDrive system, so no dice there either

I know that there are companies that make USB-C to AUX cables, but every one that I've looked at seems to be "one-directional" (will send audio from the USB-C connection to the AUX connection, but not the other way around).

I'm curious if it's possible to install an aftermarket aux port and have it be compatible with the OEM audio system (for instance, if the connections are avail on the back of the head unit and just not being utilized).

Unless anyone has any other ideas that I haven't thought of, I'm probably going to just end up upgrading to a 512GB iPhone. It would hold my whole 360GB music library, and then I'll just use the iDrive system with CarPlay (at least the controller is somewhat reminiscent of the click-wheel on the iPod Classic).
Appreciate 0