G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Regional Forums USA - California

09-07-2021, 05:11 AM   #1
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Learning to track in norcal

Have a G82 coming in and it's going to be my first trackable car. I don't have any experience yet but I'm eager to learn. Wondering if any NorCal folks lurking these forums have any tips on getting started.

Should I start with any specific programs, or jump right into HPDE track days? Any specific tracks or locations to learn at? I've heard NorCal tracks don't have much runoff...
      09-07-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
PhoPoweR
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nice

Check out OnGridtrack.com they are a good organization to run with. You can start as a noob with them and work your way up to the more advanced groups.

Thunder Hill is a good track to learn on.
Appreciate 1
ember.m4257.00
      09-09-2021, 06:26 PM   #3
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

I joined the GGC of BMW CCA, did my first track day with them a few weeks ago at thunderhill. Outstanding experience, they provide in car instruction for everyone except for advanced drivers who were approved by instructors for solo driving (they are on the track for a different session, so only same skilled drivers are on track at the same time. Huge emphasis on safety and driving at your comfort level. Its more a school then a track day you just need your own car. The novice group i was in was full of first timers.
Appreciate 1
ember.m4257.00
      09-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Ginster6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 with a Stick

I would say if first time. I would autocross it first to learn the car.

and I learned it is pretty tail happy car. LOL
Appreciate 1
ember.m4257.00
      09-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #5
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triton88 View Post
I joined the GGC of BMW CCA, did my first track day with them a few weeks ago at thunderhill. Outstanding experience, they provide in car instruction for everyone except for advanced drivers who were approved by instructors for solo driving (they are on the track for a different session, so only same skilled drivers are on track at the same time. Huge emphasis on safety and driving at your comfort level. Its more a school then a track day you just need your own car. The novice group i was in was full of first timers.
Sounds promising! How often do they run these track days? Is that the focus of the group or is it more of an enthusiast group? I'm more interested in learning to track specifically rather than say a social club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginster6 View Post
I would say if first time. I would autocross it first to learn the car.

and I learned it is pretty tail happy car. LOL
Yeah sounds like a good idea. Learning to track on such a powerful car is probably a bit of a hot take. I definitely skipped some steps there...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #6
Triton88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BG M3C, 2016 Focus RS

the GGC of BMW CCA does cars and coffee, auto X, fun drives on the weekends and hosts high performance driving events at tracks. So it is not just for track days, im just saying for beginners, looking for instruction i would be surprised if there is a better track day experience out side of a specific race school.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
the GGC of BMW CCA does cars and coffee, auto X, fun drives on the weekends and hosts high performance driving events at tracks. So it is not just for track days, im just saying for beginners, looking for instruction i would be surprised if there is a better track day experience out side of a specific race school.
Gotcha, I'll probably see you out there once my car gets in!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #8
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
www.motorsports.reg to find local to you events. Autocross is a good start, but to me it's time consuming with not a lot of seat time, but it's affordable.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #9
Driggett
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 Portimao XDrive Comp

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I second this! Did my first track day in the g80 with them also.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 12:57 PM   #10
og_e46
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46; G80 M3C FDG; X7 M50i

There are many options in NorCal for getting on track. Thankfully, there are 3 road courses in the area to choose from, Laguna Seca (Monterey), Sears Point (Sonoma), and Thunderhill (Willows). If you're concerned about runoff, pick the latter.

In addition to BMWCCA and searching up motorsportsreg as suggested by others, listed below in no particular order are a handful of orgs that put on NorCal HPDE type track days (I'm sure there are more).

https://www.speedsf.com/events
https://nasanorcal.com/hpde-get-started/
https://www.drivetracktime.com/
https://www.hookedondriving.com/hook...ion/California
https://trackmasters-racing.com/
https://americanracingclub.com/
Appreciate 0