BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-23-2022, 08:52 PM   #23
EyeBalz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8262S View Post
Thanks, good comparison between the Grey Black and the Dravit Grey. It highlights I think one thing that I am struggling with.

I am not a fan of the chalk battleship grey color of the Grey Black. I know it is a really popular type of color (the pastel look), but I have pretty plain tastes and want something I will not grow sick of.

I have seen a Dravit Grey G80 in person on several occasions and under different lighting. I really really like the Dravit Grey. But whenever the lighting shows that battleship grey (like the Grey Black), I would find myself looking for a different angle to get the darker olive, brown, and gold tones out of it. I like those undertones a lot better than the pastel (not sure if that is the right word?) grey.

I am debating whether I give up the "wow" of the Dravit Grey, and move to Gunmetal II. Perhaps I would be more happy long term with the Gunmetal II.

I think the description above of Gunmetal II seems consistent with what I saw in the video -- more grey/blue/white metallic flakes.

Argh, I'm conflicted and doubt that I will be able to see a Gunmetal II in person. I love grey BMW's, but it has to be the perfect grey. Some greys can just come alive, while others are drab and boring.

This is very difficult, because Dravit Grey is just an amazing color. Gunmetal II might be a "safer" choice for me, but since when it that any fun?
Have you considered Stratus Grey Metallic (440). I'm in the same boat as you. Dravit is my fall back choice, but Gunmetal II and Stratus are both interesting to me as well. My previous F85 was Donington Grey, and I always longed for a deeper grey without getting too dark. There is less available online on the Stratus grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2022, 11:16 PM   #24
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBalz View Post
Quote:
Thanks, good comparison between the Grey Black and the Dravit Grey. It highlights I think one thing that I am struggling with.

I am not a fan of the chalk battleship grey color of the Grey Black. I know it is a really popular type of color (the pastel look), but I have pretty plain tastes and want something I will not grow sick of.

I have seen a Dravit Grey G80 in person on several occasions and under different lighting. I really really like the Dravit Grey. But whenever the lighting shows that battleship grey (like the Grey Black), I would find myself looking for a different angle to get the darker olive, brown, and gold tones out of it. I like those undertones a lot better than the pastel (not sure if that is the right word?) grey.

I am debating whether I give up the "wow" of the Dravit Grey, and move to Gunmetal II. Perhaps I would be more happy long term with the Gunmetal II.

I think the description above of Gunmetal II seems consistent with what I saw in the video -- more grey/blue/white metallic flakes.

Argh, I'm conflicted and doubt that I will be able to see a Gunmetal II in person. I love grey BMW's, but it has to be the perfect grey. Some greys can just come alive, while others are drab and boring.

This is very difficult, because Dravit Grey is just an amazing color. Gunmetal II might be a "safer" choice for me, but since when it that any fun?
Have you considered Stratus Grey Metallic (440). I'm in the same boat as you. Dravit is my fall back choice, but Gunmetal II and Stratus are both interesting to me as well. My previous F85 was Donington Grey, and I always longed for a deeper grey without getting too dark. There is less available online on the Stratus grey.
I should be getting my gunmetal grey next month. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 1
EyeBalz55.50
      06-15-2022, 11:58 PM   #25
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Here is the Gunmetal color. I will post more pictures in the next few days
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
EyeBalz55.50
ando2005.00
      06-16-2022, 06:59 AM   #26
EyeBalz
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
Well, is it what you expected?? Can't wait to see more pics.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 08:45 AM   #27
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeBalz View Post
Well, is it what you expected?? Can't wait to see more pics.
Yeah it is. Looks like the video I have seen online with the X5 in Gunmetal. I just wanted a dark gray and the Davit color almost looks gold in the sun. I'm going to put a stealth PPF over the top, and hopefully get it close to the Frozen Gray color.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 12:52 PM   #28
8262S
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashsmoney View Post
Wow that looks great!

I elected to stick with DG, and my car just arrived at port so no turning back now!
      06-16-2022, 04:10 PM   #29
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Competion RWD

Quote:

man that took a while. i remember getting that dealer lead to you way back when
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #30
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal50028 View Post
Quote:

man that took a while. i remember getting that dealer lead to you way back when
Yes, it did. I think the individual color pushed it back some. Did you get yours yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 11:31 AM   #31
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it did. I think the individual color pushed it back some. Did you get yours yet?
Way back at end of March
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 02:35 PM   #32
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal50028 View Post
Quote:
Way back at end of March
Wow that was fast!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 03:12 PM   #33
Bch53211
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Garage List
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
Quote:
In this pic it looks similar to Mineral Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2022, 12:06 PM   #34
Vishal50028
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow that was fast!
Yea less than 90 days from start to finish. More basic build and got lucky
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 06:46 AM   #35
AlexanderG80M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive Dravit Grey

Quote:

8262S Great post, exactly my sentiments! I guess you spent nearly as much time as I did on the Individual Visualizer! As mentioned in the other post, I went for Dravit when the cost and delivery factors came into it. I've looked into getting it wrapped - the colour I really want to replicate is the Aston Martin "Xenon Grey" - I'm not sure if you've seen it in the flesh...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 07:00 AM   #36
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderG80M3 View Post
8262S Great post, exactly my sentiments! I guess you spent nearly as much time as I did on the Individual Visualizer! As mentioned in the other post, I went for Dravit when the cost and delivery factors came into it. I've looked into getting it wrapped - the colour I really want to replicate is the Aston Martin "Xenon Grey" - I'm not sure if you've seen it in the flesh...
I spent a lot of time looking at videos and pictures on the internet.

In the end it was DG’s game to lose, simply because I wasn’t able to see a Gunmetal in person.

But based on Cashsmoney’s pics, Gunmetal is an amazing color.

Here is another consider I had rolling around the back of my head. My favorite interior color is Tartufo of these current interior choices. The DG undertones make it a perfect pairing with Tartufo. So DG and Tartufo are just a fantastic color combination, and I have seen the paring in person on a new BMW SUV.

If I chose Gunmetal, I likely would have had to go with a different interior color. Didn’t Cashsmoney go with the Silverstone interior? That would be a perfect combination, but I am not a huge fan of white or cream interiors. Perhaps I would have punted and gone with a black interior, which is pretty boring in the M3.

My wife has a Volvo XC90 with a cream white interior and it is beautiful and great with the exterior blue/purple, but I just wanted something different with the M3.

So interior color choice comes into play here too.

My DG over Tartufo M3 is built and at port, so this is all water under the bridge for me at this point! I am happy with the choice.
      06-28-2022, 07:56 AM   #37
AlexanderG80M3
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 xDrive Dravit Grey

Quote:

In the end it was DG’s game to lose, simply because I wasn’t able to see a Gunmetal in person.

Here is another consider I had rolling around the back of my head. My favorite interior color is Tartufo of these current interior choices. The DG undertones make it a perfect pairing with Tartufo. So DG and Tartufo are just a fantastic color combination, and I have seen the paring in person on a new BMW SUV.

If I chose Gunmetal, I likely would have had to go with a different interior color. Didn’t Cashsmoney go with the Silverstone interior? That would be a perfect combination, but I am not a huge fan of white or cream interiors. Perhaps I would have punted and gone with a black interior, which is pretty boring in the M3.

My wife has a Volvo XC90 with a cream white interior and it is beautiful and great with the exterior blue/purple, but I just wanted something different with the M3.

My DG over Tartufo M3 is built and at port, so this is all water under the bridge for me at this point! I am happy with the choice.
Thanks for this! I ended up going DG with black interior - boring I agree but I liked its simplicity in my F80. Mine is also at the port as of last Friday... no turning back! I also went for the black single color wheels - I'm not mad about the gloss finish - I've always preferred more of a matte.

Interestingly, I did look into a very dark green exterior with a Tartufo interior... decided it was a bit of a throwback to a bygone age in the end.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 09:27 AM   #38
8262S
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for this! I ended up going DG with black interior - boring I agree but I liked its simplicity in my F80. Mine is also at the port as of last Friday... no turning back! I also went for the black single color wheels - I'm not mad about the gloss finish - I've always preferred more of a matte.

Interestingly, I did look into a very dark green exterior with a Tartufo interior... decided it was a bit of a throwback to a bygone age in the end.
Yeah sorry part of sharing opinions is I don’t want to make others feel bad about their choices. But we all have our own preferences, and that is was makes this process so fun. If I was a bit more adventurous I would have gotten Aventurine or a nice blue. Some people might call my choice of DG “boring” (and sometimes I fell like they might be right!).

My son has a black interior in his silver Benz. It’s pretty much the best choice with that color and so classic Benz.

I use to have a dark green car with tan interior. I loved it. I toyed with the idea of ordering the M3 in British Racing Green over Tartufo. If BRG were a metallic color I probably would have. That would be a gorgeous car.

My M3 is on the Donington, so no turning back now!

Last point on the black is I almost ordered it with my DG car. I was worried about Tartufo having too much of an orange tint to it. But after seeing a few Tartufo cars decided I could live with the saddle color.

In the end there is no perfect car. I would have preferred something that skewed more towards the tan side versus the saddle color of Tartufo.
      06-28-2022, 10:43 AM   #39
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No my interior is just black.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 04:03 PM   #40
pwfoster
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M Comp

Quote:
Yeah it is. Looks like the video I have seen online with the X5 in Gunmetal. I just wanted a dark gray and the Davit color almost looks gold in the sun. I'm going to put a stealth PPF over the top, and hopefully get it close to the Frozen Gray color.
Did you ever do this? I just ordered an X5 M Comp in Gunmetal II and was planning doing the Stealth PPF to get close to the Frozen Deep grey that I wanted but was told not to get because of the upkeep of the paint.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 04:40 PM   #41
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
No I've never seen one. Theres also an individual color called grey black. Its like Dravit minus the flake. For me I love the flake. The first two pics are grey black. the 3rd n 4th are my dravit G80
Gray Black looks nothing like Dravit. Dravit is a metallic and has soooooo much color change. Gray Black is a non metallic medium gray. Nothing wrong with it, but it’s completely different to Dravit. It has none of the golds and olives Dravit does.

In some lights, Dravit does “wash out” and look very flat and pale and in that light it looks more Brooklyn than gray black.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 06:57 PM   #42
ROBERT1183
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M3 DRAVIT GREY 6SPEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Gray Black looks nothing like Dravit. Dravit is a metallic and has soooooo much color change. Gray Black is a non metallic medium gray. Nothing wrong with it, but it’s completely different to Dravit. It has none of the golds and olives Dravit does.

In some lights, Dravit does “wash out” and look very flat and pale and in that light it looks more Brooklyn than gray black

That is true in sunlight. Dravit looks totally different out of the sun.
Attached Images

10-28-2023, 08:32 PM   #43
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT1183 View Post
That is true in sunlight. Dravit looks totally different out of the sun.
Different. But not like gray black. I’ve seen Dravit in all lights. It’s crazy how much it changes. I’ve been around gray black 911’s a lot. Never did I once look at Dravit and say “that reminds me of Gray Black”. If anything as I said I looks like mineral, Brooklyn or even Suzuka.

Truly a very cool color.
Appreciate 1
pizza240838.00
      11-03-2023, 08:41 PM   #44
cashsmoney
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwfoster View Post
Did you ever do this? I just ordered an X5 M Comp in Gunmetal II and was planning doing the Stealth PPF to get close to the Frozen Deep grey that I wanted but was told not to get because of the upkeep of the paint.
I did.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0