home
Technical Sections Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

10-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #1
Jasinedward
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW m850i Xdrive Gran Cou

Damage to Vehicle Detected

Quick question..... Is everyone else going to the dragstrip running into the "Damage to vehicle detected" message when launching? I've always been able to knock out consistent 1.6 60's with this car and it happens every so often. Last outing I had a hard time resetting the message. It doesn't seem to affect performance at all.

Also.... 1st outing I was seeing 11.3-11.4 @ 115-117 and this past outing was 11.2-11.3 @ 119-120. DA was 2900'. I think this car has a 10 second pass in good weather....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 09:48 AM   #2
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

If you have track mode enable it, the threshold for triggering that warning is higher.

Also if you tune the car it can be raised as well.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2023, 11:10 AM   #3
Jasinedward
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
If you have track mode enable it, the threshold for triggering that warning is higher.

I always run in M mode and will have to double check the settings.... I do a quick burnout in M2 that I have set for 2wd.... then I double press M1 for track AWD settings.... if the other lane is double bulbed as soon as I stage I set launch control.

Is there a way to lengthen launch control? I've sat at a light before but LC seemed to time out...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:14 AM   #4
chris3g
Major
Rep

Stock no, tuned yes the launch params are adjustable.

To be clear regarding the damage detection m1/m2 doesn’t matter, that’s just recalling your presets. You have to set the display to track mode (center screen will be turned off) to get the increased damage threshold. If you don’t have the m drive professional package on your car then you won’t have track mode.
Appreciate 2
ChrisM41653.00
      10-02-2023, 11:21 AM   #5
Jasinedward
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

To be clear regarding the damage detection m1/m2 doesn’t matter, that’s just recalling your presets. You have to set the display to track mode (center screen will be turned off) to get the increased damage threshold. If you don’t have the m drive professional package on your car then you won’t have track mode.
Would that be the M Drive Professional option? I have the lap timer and drift analyzer...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2023, 11:50 AM   #6
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasinedward View Post
Would that be the M Drive Professional option? I have the lap timer and drift analyzer...
Yes so you should have it available then
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2023, 11:02 PM   #7
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasinedward View Post
I always run in M mode and will have to double check the settings.... I do a quick burnout in M2 that I have set for 2wd.... then I double press M1 for track AWD settings.... if the other lane is double bulbed as soon as I stage I set launch control.

Is there a way to lengthen launch control? I've sat at a light before but LC seemed to time out...

Thanks for this, great info…couple of quick questions…
- At the drag strip after you use launch control are you able to hotlap the car or do you need to drive it around for a bit before you can use it again?
- Also are you able to park and let the car cool and then use LC again when going back to the staging lanes?

Thanks!
      10-30-2023, 10:27 AM   #8
Jasinedward
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Thanks for this, great info…couple of quick questions…
- At the drag strip after you use launch control are you able to hotlap the car or do you need to drive it around for a bit before you can use it again?
- Also are you able to park and let the car cool and then use LC again when going back to the staging lanes?

Thanks!
Yeah.... I can park it.... let it cool.... hot lap it.... no issues with using launch control after.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:49 AM   #9
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Quote:

This past weekend we did a drift event
I have track mode but the windows still rolled up, the seat adjusted forward and the belt retracted as it was sensing a crash. Don’t know how to turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 11:18 AM   #10
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
This past weekend we did a drift event
I have track mode but the windows still rolled up, the seat adjusted forward and the belt retracted as it was sensing a crash. Don’t know how to turn it off.
That’s a different issue , I’m not aware of any way to turn that off.
Appreciate 1
BzsBimmer3286.50