BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Coding, Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

07-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Lexus IS500 FSP Launch Ed

iDrive 7 Audio Chip Issues

Tried searching but couldn't find anything. I've noticed my audio skipping and then eventually failing altogether when driving my car for at least 30 mins or longer. The dealership wants to keep the car overnight to diagnose but I've already done some troubleshooting and here are my findings:

- The car was held back at port for 6 months waiting for the RAM chip to be installed at port in Germany due to the chip shortage
- Hot weather seems to cause the error more frequently
- Wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay cause the error to occur after 30 mins of driving
- Connecting a single wireless device by Bluetooth only gives me about 60-90 mins before the error occurs
- Spotify streaming (through car) seems to cause error more rapidly than FM radio
- Currently trying to disconnect all mobile devices and see if the error still continues

I'm convinced it's an overheating issue with the chipset or faulty hack job install of the RAM chip at port.

Has anyone else encountered these issues?
Appreciate 1
X5ALIVE58.50
      07-14-2022, 09:20 PM   #2
X5ALIVE
Professional Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchiguy79 View Post
Tried searching but couldn't find anything. I've noticed my audio skipping and then eventually failing altogether when driving my car for at least 30 mins or longer. The dealership wants to keep the car overnight to diagnose but I've already done some troubleshooting and here are my findings:

- The car was held back at port for 6 months waiting for the RAM chip to be installed at port in Germany due to the chip shortage
- Hot weather seems to cause the error more frequently
- Wireless Android Auto or Apple CarPlay cause the error to occur after 30 mins of driving
- Connecting a single wireless device by Bluetooth only gives me about 60-90 mins before the error occurs
- Spotify streaming (through car) seems to cause error more rapidly than FM radio
- Currently trying to disconnect all mobile devices and see if the error still continues

I'm convinced it's an overheating issue with the chipset or faulty hack job install of the RAM chip at port.

Has anyone else encountered these issues?
I've got similar issues with my 2020 X3 M40, after about 20-30 mins of audio, the whole idrive reboots. At first I thought it was CarPlay related as it happened 3-4 times with Carplay but just yesterday it happened while listening to Sirius, so I am now suspicious of another problem.

To be fair, I have not taken the car in for the issue, I just always assumed BMW was aware and a software update might fix, or newer models might be fixed...uh oh. I've got a M3Cx on order...

Anyway, I'm in AZ and its hot as heck out here...I'll try not to correlate heat but you might be on to something as it's happened more, or I've noticed it more, this summer.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #3
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5ALIVE View Post
I've got similar issues with my 2020 X3 M40, after about 20-30 mins of audio, the whole idrive reboots. At first I thought it was CarPlay related as it happened 3-4 times with Carplay but just yesterday it happened while listening to Sirius, so I am now suspicious of another problem.

To be fair, I have not taken the car in for the issue, I just always assumed BMW was aware and a software update might fix, or newer models might be fixed...uh oh. I've got a M3Cx on order...

Anyway, I'm in AZ and its hot as heck out here...I'll try not to correlate heat but you might be on to something as it's happened more, or I've noticed it more, this summer.
Interesting that your iDrive actually reboots itself. I do the reset by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
When it resets do you stop using CarPlay?
I disconnected my phone completely from the car and Spotify streaming still lead to the same issue after 20 mins. The FM radio seemed to work fine.
Next up I'll try to play music from a USB flash drive only and see if that causes the same error.
Appreciate 1
X5ALIVE58.50
      07-15-2022, 10:31 AM   #4
X5ALIVE
Professional Lurker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimchiguy79 View Post
Interesting that your iDrive actually reboots itself. I do the reset by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
When it resets do you stop using CarPlay?
I disconnected my phone completely from the car and Spotify streaming still lead to the same issue after 20 mins. The FM radio seemed to work fine.
Next up I'll try to play music from a USB flash drive only and see if that causes the same error.
Oh interesting, mine will straight up reboot the system, and then comes back as if nothing ever happened. Carplay is restored, song continues, etc. Once, I was in the car long enough and it reboot again, same result, probably 30 mins after the first time.

I'll try to find a pattern myself. I might first try to isolate if it's specifically Carplay/Phone connection related by disconnecting all phones and trying to run for 30 mins. Good luck! I'll try to update when I get the chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 03:52 PM   #5
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Oh interesting, mine will straight up reboot the system, and then comes back as if nothing ever happened. Carplay is restored, song continues, etc. Once, I was in the car long enough and it reboot again, same result, probably 30 mins after the first time.

I'll try to find a pattern myself. I might first try to isolate if it's specifically Carplay/Phone connection related by disconnecting all phones and trying to run for 30 mins. Good luck! I'll try to update when I get the chance.
Thanks for the insights - let me know and I'll keep you updated as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 03:55 PM   #6
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep

Brought the car in, error codes had them swap the USB port (?) And reprogram the iDrive7 audio unit. As soon as I picked the car back up same issue.
Now the Service Advisor spoke with Software and Program tech and he thinks it's the RAM or head unit. It's exactly what I tried to tell them 🤣 but let's see if they can get the case approved by BMW Corporate. And god knows how long it would take to get parts. Considering my car waited at Bremerhaven port for 6 months waiting for a RAM chip retrofit. 😔
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:13 PM   #7
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
None of this would have happened had you had Idrive 8….
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:24 AM   #8
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
None of this would have happened had you had Idrive 8….
Um, iDrive8 has been out for what, a minute? Don't be so confident in assuming that it's going to be flawless. Germans aren't exactly known for electrical related dependability. Give it a full year under mass market roll out and then you'll start seeing the issues.
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2022, 12:43 PM   #9
X5ALIVE
Professional Lurker
Rep

Update here:

Its basically 30 mins on the nose, all of iDrive reboots itself. I do not have to be using CarPlay, either. Temperature was lower the last time it happened but still high 90s. I don't think that's related any longer. Still comes back to previous status, thankfully.

IDK if its worth it anymore, my M3CX is on the boat now, might just throw my hands up and hope for the best with the new car. It will be iDrive8, curious to see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 03:58 PM   #10
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Update here:

Its basically 30 mins on the nose, all of iDrive reboots itself. I do not have to be using CarPlay, either. Temperature was lower the last time it happened but still high 90s. I don't think that's related any longer. Still comes back to previous status, thankfully.

IDK if its worth it anymore, my M3CX is on the boat now, might just throw my hands up and hope for the best with the new car. It will be iDrive8, curious to see what happens.
My M3 is at the dealership for second level tech support from corp head office. Apparently they have access to software fixes that the dealership doesn't. I'm skeptical and still think it's a hardware issue - and if it is I'm sure I'll be screwed with the chip shortages.
Appreciate 2
      08-24-2022, 12:01 PM   #11
Kimchiguy79
Private First Class
Rep

Car is at the dealership today, the replacement RAM module actually came in! I thought for certain it would be months away. Crossing fingers the issue gets resolved.
Appreciate 1
X5ALIVE58.50