BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #155
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
. . . waiting for the AS SSK and that would be perfect for me.
mzcp

I am reasonably fluent in lingo . . . but got to admit, I have no idea what you are referencing with 'AS SSK' ???

///AVM
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      05-29-2021, 06:25 PM   #156
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///AVM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
. . . waiting for the AS SSK and that would be perfect for me.
mzcp

I am reasonably fluent in lingo . . . but got to admit, I have no idea what you are referencing with 'AS SSK' ???

///AVM
Auto Solutions SSK MT kit from Ronald. He can make a kit that feels less rubbery and more mechanical with shorter throws.
Appreciate 3
///AVM2529.50
mzcp2690.50
      05-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #157
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
mzcp

///AVM
Nice to see you here AVM
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      05-31-2021, 08:18 AM   #158
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

I drove my M4 on the track last weekend and used the traction control at level 6. I felt it only intervened when I really messed up on the corner exit otherwise at around 9-10 it was clearly cutting power even though the car was not really sliding around. I believe the biggest bonus for traction control vs MDM on the track is the lack of braking to stabilise the rear. Normally that really burns through rear pads in tight turns.
PLF693767.50
///AVM2529.50
      05-31-2021, 09:21 AM   #159
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinglagos View Post
. . .I believe the biggest bonus for traction control vs MDM on the track is the lack of braking to stabilise the rear. Normally that really burns through rear pads in tight turns.
Kinglagos

Thank you for sharing your experience with MTC on the track.

I think this represents one of many G80/82 attributes that might not be fully exposed and/or appreciated with routine and/or spirited daily driving.

One thing I appreciate about the G80C is knowing it was built to do far more than I will ever submit it on the roadways. I can wring it out and push it as hard as I want, knowing it is built to handle more. . . I will never approach its limits.

///AVM
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
      05-31-2021, 07:35 PM   #160
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Full and Constant Exhaust Valve Opening

vetteflier started a thread entitled Opening Exhaust Flaps Fully. I am not going to rehash the thread here, other than to share where I landed on the matter and associated impressions.

Elsewhere in this thread I have stated my acoustic preferences and, to the point, I am not interested in an aftermarket exhaust including MPE. I would simply like my exhaust valves always fully open and suspect the stock G80C valves are rarely, if ever, fully open.

vetteflier recommended removing the valve actuator; manually opening and securing the valve lever in place (e.g., secure with a paperclip); and leaving the actuator removed. I did not like the idea of the latter, instead, preferring to use the unplugged actuator to secure the valve lever in place.

The problem I discovered is no matter what I did, the actuator stem never fully rotated to allow it to mate with the valve lever turned to the fully open position. Trust me, I tried everything. So, I could not replace the unplugged actuator and use it to secure the valve lever in the fully open position.

While lying (safely) under the car and having an assistant fully/repeatedly rev the engine in SPORT+, I noticed that the actuator stem never fully turns to open; also, the turn was very brief before resorting back to closed position. This is in keeping with my acoustic suspicions noted above, and impetus for my wanting the valve fully and constantly opened.

So, I decided to pursue vetteflier approach. In brief (all pics on RIGHT side of car):

1. Confirmed exhaust valves closed (pic 1)
2. Disconnected actuator plug (pic 2)
3. Removed actuator by removing three 10 mm bolts (pic 2)
4. Manually turned valve lever with needle nose pliers to fully open (pic 3; ‘closed’ in pic)
5. Confirmed exhaust valves fully open (pic 4)
6. Secured valve lever in place with led-based soldering wire* (pic 5)
7. Placed electric tape over male end of actuator plug and secured to chassis with zip tie (pic 6)

*I used led-based soldering wire because it is very pliable and easy to manipulate, and offers more length than a paperclip .

INITIAL IMPRESSION

1. If you can identify the loudest your stock G80/82 exhaust sounds now, it will only be slightly louder after the mod. I attribute this slight decibel increase to the valves being fully open. . . which I do not think is ever achieved in the stock set-up. If it is achieved, the occurrence is rare/transient (see above).

2. The decibels are completely throttle-dependent, as they should be. Very predictable and extremely satisfying. Burbles are slightly enhanced with throttle blip. In keeping with throttle-dependence, ‘normal’ driving at lower revs is completely tame. For example, if you want to cruise in 8th gear at 3K RPM for long periods on the highway, I doubt you would be able to differentiate the before and after acoustics.

3. As expected, tone unaltered; remains deep and rumbling, which I really enjoy with the S58 over the raspier S55. Also as expected, no drone whatsoever.

4. Overall, a very satisfying mod that I will leave intact . . . and should I ever have need to return to stock set up, could be easily achieved in a matter of minutes.

5. vetteflier describes benefits of the mod toward power gains in his thread. I have not had enough seat time to confirm or refute such gain, nor was it the basis of my decision to pursue the mod. If you have any questions in this regard, vetteflier is a good dude and I am sure he can expand upon his experiences.

///AVM

P.S. None of this required a lift, although one would likely make the task easier
Attached Images

Last edited by ///AVM; 06-01-2021 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 6
evilalien450.50
akkando5864.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
Patton2502939.50
      06-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #161
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Based on PMs received, I want to take a moment be clear about the valve flaps being fully and constantly open.

This valve mod is NOT going to be anything like an exhaust mod; the latter is typically performed to elevate decibels and, inevitably, alters tone.

The valve mod does NOT change the exhaust tone, nor elevate decibels. What the valve mod DOES provide are maximal decibels of the stock setup - according to throttle input - all the time. Reason being, the valves are always fully open.

I sought and am satisfied with the acoustic output associated with the valves being fully and constantly open. Nothing groundbreaking, but subtle and satisfying. Free, simple to perform and equally simple to completely reverse back to stock.

If one wants to amplify the exhaust decibels OVER stock, then one of many exhaust mod options are what you are after, not the valve mod.

Also, again, if one wishes to inquire about potential power gains, I direct you to vetteflier at this point.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
deli333145.00
      06-01-2021, 10:27 AM   #162
Sbm007
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX (Oxide Grey)

Garage List
Quote:
Based on PMs received, I want to take a moment be clear about the valve flaps being fully and constantly open.

This valve mod is NOT going to be anything like an exhaust mod; the latter is typically performed to elevate decibels and, inevitably, alters tone.

The valve mod does NOT change the exhaust tone, nor elevate decibels. What the valve mod DOES provide are maximal decibels of the stock setup - according to throttle input - all the time. Reason being, the valves are always fully open.

I sought and am satisfied with the acoustic output associated with the valves being fully and constantly open. Nothing groundbreaking, but subtle and satisfying. Free, simple to perform and equally simple to completely reverse back to stock.

If one wants to amplify the exhaust decibels OVER stock, then one of many exhaust mod options are what you are after, not the valve mod.

Also, again, if one wishes to inquire about potential power gains, I direct you to vetteflier at this point.

///AVM
On the older F8X generation, I recall that keeping the exhaust flaps permanently open would leave carbon deposits on the exhaust flap connector and over time corrode/damage the connector. Not sure if the same is applicable to G8X but just something to look into.
2022 G80 M3 Competition M xDrive (Oxide Grey)
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 10:50 AM   #163
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
In fairness, I need more seat time before drawing any firm conclusions on not only the S58/ZF8, but the entire driving/performance experience offered by the G80 M3C.

I must say, BMW engineers know how to engineer cars, and the M3C is engineered wonderfully. However, I am not sure the M3C will live up to my performance expectations of an ///M icon?

I am sitting on top of the fence currently and do not know which direction more seat time will take me? If pressured to draw conclusion at this very moment, I would lean toward stating the M3C has deviated too far from being a driver's car for my liking, and more into the cruiser realm. . . and it will take a small miracle for me to embrace the ZF8.

To try and summarize things down to a few bullet points:

- S58 delivers power. Moves M3C chassis quick and fast.
- S58 sounds fantastic wrung-out, as well as in terms of exhaust note.
- ZF8 has too many gears and shifts are extremely disappointing..
- M3C chassis is wonderful but cannot hide its weight with aggressive turning.

///AVM

P.S. A couple of my favorite pics
What I get from this is you want your car to jerk you around through gearshifting? I want the exact opposite. I thought the DCT in the F80 sucked big-time. It just about always gave me a headache. I feel bad for anyone hung over driving it. And all that is just the shifting, did I mention how awful the suspension was? :-)

Cool write up by the way. Seems to me you’d be more comfortable in a race car on the street and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #164
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Quote:
In fairness, I need more seat time before drawing any firm conclusions on not only the S58/ZF8, but the entire driving/performance experience offered by the G80 M3C.

I must say, BMW engineers know how to engineer cars, and the M3C is engineered wonderfully. However, I am not sure the M3C will live up to my performance expectations of an ///M icon?

I am sitting on top of the fence currently and do not know which direction more seat time will take me? If pressured to draw conclusion at this very moment, I would lean toward stating the M3C has deviated too far from being a driver's car for my liking, and more into the cruiser realm. . . and it will take a small miracle for me to embrace the ZF8.

To try and summarize things down to a few bullet points:

- S58 delivers power. Moves M3C chassis quick and fast.
- S58 sounds fantastic wrung-out, as well as in terms of exhaust note.
- ZF8 has too many gears and shifts are extremely disappointing..
- M3C chassis is wonderful but cannot hide its weight with aggressive turning.

///AVM

P.S. A couple of my favorite pics
What I get from this is you want your car to jerk you around through gearshifting? I want the exact opposite. I thought the DCT in the F80 sucked big-time. It just about always gave me a headache. I feel bad for anyone hung over driving it. And all that is just the shifting, did I mention how awful the suspension was? :-)

Cool write up by the way. Seems to me you'd be more comfortable in a race car on the street and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Read the rest of his posts
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 11:18 AM   #165
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Cool write up by the way. Seems to me you’d be more comfortable in a race car on the street and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Patton

Thank you for your feedback.

Although I would not say I want my 'car to jerk (me) around through shifting,' I understand what you are saying . . . and believe it is in keeping with what I try to convey by saying, 'I want to feel the shifts.' This includes the feel through the shifter during manual shifts, as well as feel the chassis as torque/power are being laid down.

What I have found to be true is the G80C ZF8 is as effective and enjoyable to me as DCT was in the F87C. I am very satisfied.

Based on your statements, it sounds to me like the G80C might equally suit your driving preferences as well. Namely, it does not sound like you use manual mode and, if you do, are not inclined to wring it out and perform high RPM shifts?

If you like 'smoother' or 'more refined' shifts, I can assure you ZF8 automatic mode is silky smooth. If you want to use manual mode, I would simply suggest using the S1 rather than S3 setting. Even if you use S3, you can avoid the 'jerkiness' with lower RPM shifts.

As far as owning a race car on the street, well, I am a spirited daily driver. . . the G80C is an incredible machine in this regard, as was my F87C before it.

I came to BMW from the Porsche lineup and I think Porsche sport cars are fabulous but, for now, BMW engineers are hitting all the right performance buttons for me with the ///M cars. . . although, from an aesthetic perspective, I am of the opinion that BMW design architects should all be fired.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 11:25 AM   #166
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbm007 View Post
On the older F8X generation, I recall that keeping the exhaust flaps permanently open would leave carbon deposits on the exhaust flap connector and over time corrode/damage the connector. Not sure if the same is applicable to G8X but just something to look into.
Thank you Sbm

Perhaps true, and I would certainly recommend anyone interested in pursuing the valve mod looks into on their own.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Sbm007613.50
      06-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #167
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
I wear sunglasses about as often as I turn the stereo on in my visceral driving machines. . . almost never.

So, beautiful, sunny evening hear in northern Midwest. Perfect occasion for a spirited drive to absolutely nowhere.

As already established, I am digging HUD; specifically, HUD tachometer function. Jump in. Start up. Hit M Mode button to activate SPORT view (tachometer).

Look up and HUD is barely visible. As though 'brightness' was turned all the way down. Went into settings and HUD brightness was right where I previously set it. I'm like, what the fuck?!

I then realized it was the first time I had gotten into G80C with sunglasses on. More specifically, polarized sunglasses . . . which I now know all but blocks out HUD.

Just an FYI for anyone who didn't already know this. Big deal? Only if you enjoy HUD and wearing polarized sunglasses simultaneous.

///AVM
I specifically went and bought non-polarised sunglasses to keep in the car so I can wear them without it impacting the HUD. I wear sunglasses constantly, so getting some non-polarized ones is a total must have if you have the HUD
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #168
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

@///AVM
Hey I safety wired my valves open like you suggested and it completely got rid of the rattle I was experiencing

Thanks for the tip🙌🏼
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 01:11 PM   #169
vetteflier
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 Competition

Thanks, AVM--and great writeup. You are exactly correct that the decibel level will not increase over stock, or the tone improve. It will simply be available at all times and all rev levels rather than the extremely short duration when the ECM "grants" you the privilege of "fully(?)" opening the valves:> Power gain would be small, but real at any rev level where stock didn't fully open the valves. First BMW, but I base this on 15 years driving Vettes and seeing dyno results from their valves being fully open at all times vice when the ECM allows it. That's why they published increases of 7 and 5hp with the NPP exhausts over stock since the C6, and another 3-5 at any rev range when the valves were not fully open by stock control. Not a lot, but for $0, silly not to take it. In the final analysis, anything that creates freer exhaust flow = more power. And there is definitely a nice sound improvement under 1/3-2/3 throttle,
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #170
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Patton

Thank you for your feedback.

Although I would not say I want my 'car to jerk (me) around through shifting,' I understand what you are saying . . . and believe it is in keeping with what I try to convey by saying, 'I want to feel the shifts.' This includes the feel through the shifter during manual shifts, as well as feel the chassis as torque/power are being laid down.

What I have found to be true is the G80C ZF8 is as effective and enjoyable to me as DCT was in the F87C. I am very satisfied.

Based on your statements, it sounds to me like the G80C might equally suit your driving preferences as well. Namely, it does not sound like you use manual mode and, if you do, are not inclined to wring it out and perform high RPM shifts?

If you like 'smoother' or 'more refined' shifts, I can assure you ZF8 automatic mode is silky smooth. If you want to use manual mode, I would simply suggest using the S1 rather than S3 setting. Even if you use S3, you can avoid the 'jerkiness' with lower RPM shifts.

As far as owning a race car on the street, well, I am a spirited daily driver. . . the G80C is an incredible machine in this regard, as was my F87C before it.

I came to BMW from the Porsche lineup and I think Porsche sport cars are fabulous but, for now, BMW engineers are hitting all the right performance buttons for me with the ///M cars. . . although, from an aesthetic perspective, I am of the opinion that BMW design architects should all be fired.

///AVM
Thank you. I don’t know why on this forum sometimes you can’t click the appreciate button on a post. So since I couldn’t click it on your post I just wrote thank you.

I actually want my car to be two different things if possible. Extremely comfortable, self driving and smooth sometimes and then an all out bad ass fun to drive race car other times. I have found Mercedes to be very good at that but this new G 80 is that way also. At just the push of a button it can go from a comfortable riding and quiet to a very tight, fast race car feeling sedan. I like that. I still have lots to get used to trying to figure out if everything is running normal but this forum is very helpful with that. I hope I can find a better exhaust because I agree with you completely this thing doesn’t sound as good as it should. I understand why BMW did it that way but I would still like to make it sound more bad ass. I’m not looking for pops and berbals so much as I am just a more aggressive note.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #171
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
I specifically went and bought non-polarised sunglasses to keep in the car so I can wear them without it impacting the HUD. I wear sunglasses constantly, so getting some non-polarized ones is a total must have if you have the HUD
My polarized Ray Bans work with the hud, it's just a bit dimmer. Turnign up the brightness can bring it back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #172
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
My polarized Ray Bans work with the hud, it's just a bit dimmer. Turnign up the brightness can bring it back to normal.
It’s funny but the HUD in my wife’s X.3 is much dimmer when wearing polarized glasses. However the G80 is better. I wonder why that is.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #173
Multimodal
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i, 2018 911 T

Quote:
It’s funny but the HUD in my wife’s X.3 is much dimmer when wearing polarized glasses. However the G80 is better. I wonder why that is.
Polarized lenses are all about the angle of the light waves. There’s probably something about the angle of your seating position to the rake of the windshield to the position of the HUD projector in the dashboard.

I can see the HUD in my G05 X5 through polarized sunglasses though it certainly is dimmer.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #174
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
My polarized ones don't work that well with the HUD. If you turn the brightness way up it is okay, at best, but then I need to turn the brightness down if I'm not wearing glasses or driving at night. For me it was worth it just to get some non-polarized ones. I have some William Painter ones I like and they basically made exactly the same one in polarized and non-polarized, so worked out fine
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50
      06-05-2021, 01:36 PM   #175
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep

I think I have been upfront about why I moved into the G80C . . . wanted to experience the PERFORMANCE of the latest iteration of an ///M icon. I have not been disappointed. In fact, my expectations have been exceeded.

In similar regard, I have also been mildly vocal about the fact that I am not a fan of the G80 design architecture . . . even less so with the G82.

Approaching nearly 1,500 miles of G80C ownership, I want to be more specific in stating the G80, as a whole, is not offensive to my visual senses. In fact, I find most design elements quite appealing. HOWEVER, there are a couple elements that continue to draw my ire.

1. Front grille. Topic beat to death. I have tried, but I simply think the front grille is hideous and BMW design architects responsible for them – and those who signed off on them – should be fired.

Sadly, the new grille design has made the classic kidney grille (e.g., F80/82) look tired and old, so I am now stuck between 'hideous' and 'tired/old.'

Not saying the classic kidney grille could not or should have been advanced. Every car manufacturer is moving forward with this trend of 'bigger.' I just feel BMW could have done a LOT better than this grille cancer that has infiltrated nearly their entire model lineup.

2. Front fender dome. Not a fan of the front fender dome over the wheel well. Another piece of classic BMW design architecture - fender flair – that has been fucked up for no apparent reason.

It seems this consideration will not be lost in the upcoming G87, which is actually going to have some seriously impressive fender flair.

3. Overall size. I feel the G80 has breached a size threshold in terms of road presence appeal. The car is simply too big. Yes, I know this is the trend. Everything is getting bigger and heavier. . . but it does not mean I have to like it.

In terms of how performance and design architecture intercept, the G80C handles exceptionally well but, as per my impressions at thread outset, there is no hiding the fact that this is a BIG car. I honestly accept this for my spirited daily driving purposes; if I wanted a Porsche sport car, well, I would still be driving one.

Of all the design features mentioned, the front grille is the single feature that, to be frank, ruins everything. I can accept the front fender dome and overall size, but the front grille is beyond reconciliation.

///AVM
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      06-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #176
deli333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Thank you for unbiased review.
Appreciate 1
///AVM2529.50