BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-24-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
AudiConvert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 Manual

Rear Wheels Dropped Into a Dip

First of all, sorry for the bad title, not sure how to describe what I'm trying to say in a few words lol.

I was at a roadside shop's exit waiting to make a left turn. It was a three-lane road, one lane each way and a lane in the middle for turns. There was some traffic so one lady was nice enough to stop, waving me to go. I didn't want to stop the traffic longer so I gave the car some gas but what I didn't know was that there was a pretty sizeable dip right in front of where I was waiting.

Somehow the front wheels made through but the rear wheels dropped into the dip, it felt like the rear wheels were on a curb and dropped to the ground. I heard a muted "bang" sound and I felt like I I scrape my front bumper. However when I got out to check there didn't appear to be damage on either bumper and suspension felt normal going highway speed.

I was sure something was wrong because of how "violent" the moment felt... what could that sound be?

Sorry if it was hard to understand what I'm trying to say here, I'm having a hard time articulating what happened.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2023, 05:11 AM   #2
Joachim
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition X-Drive [2022]

I feel for you. Had a similar experience in the mountains, but it was the front wheel and a sink on the street's right side which had considerable lowered itself. Unfortunately I was polite at this moment to give the oncoming car enough space.
That bang sounds like a spiral spring breaking, right?

An inspection at the dealer's showed that the sound didn't come from the suspension, but from the metal of the rim and the resonance of the air inside the tire. Result: Rim somewhat scratched, could be done by a rim doctor for some money, BUT the tire exhibited a 10 cm wide, extruding bladder and had to replaced!

IF tl:dr, please check your rear tire and its rim for damages. If all is OK, just watch the according damper from time to time, whether there's oil leaking.

After all, don't lose your joy about your car and driving it!
      04-25-2023, 07:07 AM   #3
The Ching
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

I’d have it checked by a mechanic or the dealership, just for peace of mind.
Appreciate 1
Joachim328.00
      04-25-2023, 01:33 PM   #4
AudiConvert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 Manual

After doing some more research, it looks like that was a case of rear suspension bottoming out. Though it did feel a lot more dramatic than similar situation happening to other cars I have had.
It almost felt like I had hit something. And I still wonder what that muffed thud sound was.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2023, 03:14 AM   #5
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiConvert View Post
First of all, sorry for the bad title, not sure how to describe what I'm trying to say in a few words lol.

I was at a roadside shop's exit waiting to make a left turn. It was a three-lane road, one lane each way and a lane in the middle for turns. There was some traffic so one lady was nice enough to stop, waving me to go. I didn't want to stop the traffic longer so I gave the car some gas but what I didn't know was that there was a pretty sizeable dip right in front of where I was waiting.

Somehow the front wheels made through but the rear wheels dropped into the dip, it felt like the rear wheels were on a curb and dropped to the ground. I heard a muted "bang" sound and I felt like I I scrape my front bumper. However when I got out to check there didn't appear to be damage on either bumper and suspension felt normal going highway speed.

I was sure something was wrong because of how "violent" the moment felt... what could that sound be?

Sorry if it was hard to understand what I'm trying to say here, I'm having a hard time articulating what happened.
Cars are made to take some abuse.
Wouldn’t worry about it. If there’s a problem take to the dealer and they’ll suss it out.
Appreciate 0