BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

11-08-2023, 06:34 AM   #1
First World Problems
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive (ordered)

Order Advice Needed: Color & Options

As I wait patiently for a hopeful allocation this month at my local dealer, im trying g to finalize all of the build details. The 2 things that I’m undecided on are if I should add the Carbon Exterior Package and what Individual Paint Color I should choose taking into account resale value. Since I change vehicles rather frequently, I try to maximize potential return when it comes to trade in or sale time and I know some packages or options can have a solid affect on later value and desirability.

2024 G80 Comp xDrive will be spec’d with the following options
  • Carbon Interior
  • Red Calipers
  • Executive Package
  • M Shadowline Lights
  • Laserlights
  • Ventilated Seats
  • No Sunroof
  • No Carbon Buckets
  • Extended Shadowline Trim Delete (if I don’t get Carbon Exterior Package)

1) I know what the Carbon package entails and have weighed the cost of adding it later (triple the cost for OEM or for similar money, some high quality aftermarket options are less expensive). Ultimately is this a package that will have a good return?

2) I’m struggling with what Individual Color option I want. While Java Green is my favorite I realize that green colors can be hit or miss as far as resale value goes. My second favorite color choice is Long Beach Blue which I believe should have broader appeal and thus better return when time to move on. LBB was also a lot more common and past BMW’s so ultimately overall less “special.” In your opinion do blue colors have better desirability vs more individualized and probably rarer colors like Java Green? I’m trying to strike a balance between something uncommon but also desirable.

Final 3 colors choices are:
  • Java Green
  • Atlantis Blue
  • Long Beach Blue

3) Another question is what do you think the best timeframe is for sale/trade is on BMW’s (1,2,3 years)? I know that they will take an initial hit on depreciation then eventually level out. While I know what to expect with Japanese vehicles, I know nothing in regard to European manufacturers and let’s assume a “normal” market and not this 2020-2023 timeline when car values were over-inflated.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated as I navigate my way into my first BMW.

-Chris
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 07:35 AM   #2
Ezra168
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4/Infiniti Q50S

Im ordering my first BMW as well, so I’m sure others will have better advice, but I’d say go with one of the blues. They look really close to each other so either would be good.

I initially didn’t add the carbon fiber exterior package as I really just wanted the front vents carbon fiber (instead of honey comb) so I thought I’d add later or order separately….but in talking with my dealer, it was nearly as much to order separate pieces as to just add the whole thing…so I ended up adding it last week.

As far as resale I’m unsure, I’m planning to keep mine long term.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 08:02 AM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

This post is confusing. You're going into this car looking to maximize resale and worrying about when to sell it yet asking about carbon pack and individual paint?

Are you buying the car for yourself or the next person?

If you want to protect resale, buy an xDrive comp with a standard color, Black or Silverstone extended, carbon interior, lasers, Exec package, shadowline lights and vented seats. Done. The rest of what you are discussing is for you, and if you trade you will see very little if any of that money back.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 08:18 AM   #4
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Yep, buying for considering resale is silly. These cars *will* sell even used later on, the decision shouldn't be about what options/colors to pick to maximize anything, it won't have any effect.

No matter if you pick the world's ugliest color or the best color, the cars *will* sell and a dealer will take the trade. You won't see a penny of any money you put into it, options-wise or aftermarket, so yes, get what you want and don't think about the next person.

As for the carbon package, it's 100% worth it if you can option it. The parts alone are multiple thousands more than the package cost (the bumper carbon air inlets alone are $3k+).

As for color, LBB is the goat out of those three so I'd pick that.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
First World Problems
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive (ordered)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
This post is confusing. You're going into this car looking to maximize resale and worrying about when to sell it yet asking about carbon pack and individual paint?

Are you buying the car for yourself or the next person?

If you want to protect resale, buy an xDrive comp with a standard color, Black or Silverstone extended, carbon interior, lasers, Exec package, shadowline lights and vented seats. Done. The rest of what you are discussing is for you, and if you trade you will see very little if any of that money back.
While I am buying for me (not the next person), since I change cars so frequently (every 12-18 months), I have to take into account some aspects of custom orders that can have a negative impact on value later. I have learned over time that certain trims, packages, and colors can have an impact on later value. While it is not the driving factor in my decisions, I try to take them into account to minimize loss. Over the years I've seen firsthand how some colors can have a high demand due to rarity and/or popularity. While my gut says LBB is the most historically classic color and should have a broader future customer base, I've always had a soft spot for green cars (IOMG is far too common and was ruled out from the beginning).
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 09:09 AM   #6
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by First World Problems View Post
While I am buying for me (not the next person), since I change cars so frequently (every 12-18 months), I have to take into account some aspects of custom orders that can have a negative impact on value later. I have learned over time that certain trims, packages, and colors can have an impact on later value. While it is not the driving factor in my decisions, I try to take them into account to minimize loss. Over the years I've seen firsthand how some colors can have a high demand due to rarity and/or popularity. While my gut says LBB is the most historically classic color and should have a broader future customer base, I've always had a soft spot for green cars (IOMG is far too common and was ruled out from the beginning).
Regardless of spec, if you plan to swap cars in 1-2 years, you’ll be upside down on what the car is worth. One of the things about these cars that make them desirable is building one to your exact spec, and that means that resale values won’t be great because potential buyers will try to knock off as much as possible from the price considering it’s not their exact spec.

Bottom line, build the car you want and be prepared to pay for not only the initial purchase, but also when you trade it in.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 09:47 AM   #7
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from, but you're overthinking this. This is not Porsche land where options are that critical, there simply aren't enough of them to matter. You're going to lose all the money on an individual color unless you sell privately, and then it'll be a crap shoot at best. A dealer isn't going to give you jack on it and will only care about the basics I noted in my first post. If you are truly buying for you, buy what you want, make it acceptable to the general public (no green on red for instance) and know that those customization costs are not recoverable.

Carbon exterior isn't a deal breaker by any means. It can be done aftermarket to OE quality for similar if not less price.

If you change cars that often, you know you're taking a bath anyway. Just don't do anything to make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 09:48 AM   #8
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Trims and packages won't have any hit on value. The more packages something has, the more desirable the car is for those packages.

People like carbon, people like automatic driving features, people the M Drive Professional package. No one specifically seeks out cars that *don't* have these features.

Again, you really should not be buying for anyone other than yourself, at all, don't even think about resale, it's not important.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 10:28 AM   #9
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
1. I’d option the ext carbon pkg if you are going to want to add any of those items later on. Much better value up front versus later on. However given the concern about resale, you’ll get pennies on the dollar back for trade in value on the pkg. Having the pkg will help a touch on a private sale with regards to finding the right buyer but still won’t be a big change in resale value.

2. The blues will get better values when trading in than JG but again you are talking about pennies on the dollar. Private sale wise you shouldn’t have a hard time moving any of those colors but neither would allow for any sort of premium on the private market. I’d wager that when trading in the dealerships will give you the like of “we’re concerned about the color” when giving you offers on the JG and will just be another reason for them to lowball you, even though they won’t have a problem moving it.

3. You’ll be taking a heavy hit on depreciation in the first 24 months. As you noted, the used market is nothing like it was the last couple of years. Year 3 & 4 is when the depreciation curve will start to level off the most on these.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 3
      11-13-2023, 01:37 PM   #10
SoCalBimmerGuy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M3 Individual

Quote:
As I wait patiently for a hopeful allocation this month at my local dealer, im trying g to finalize all of the build details. The 2 things that I’m undecided on are if I should add the Carbon Exterior Package and what Individual Paint Color I should choose taking into account resale value. Since I change vehicles rather frequently, I try to maximize potential return when it comes to trade in or sale time and I know some packages or options can have a solid affect on later value and desirability.

2024 G80 Comp xDrive will be spec’d with the following options
  • Carbon Interior
  • Red Calipers
  • Executive Package
  • M Shadowline Lights
  • Laserlights
  • Ventilated Seats
  • No Sunroof
  • No Carbon Buckets
  • Extended Shadowline Trim Delete (if I don’t get Carbon Exterior Package)

1) I know what the Carbon package entails and have weighed the cost of adding it later (triple the cost for OEM or for similar money, some high quality aftermarket options are less expensive). Ultimately is this a package that will have a good return?

2) I’m struggling with what Individual Color option I want. While Java Green is my favorite I realize that green colors can be hit or miss as far as resale value goes. My second favorite color choice is Long Beach Blue which I believe should have broader appeal and thus better return when time to move on. LBB was also a lot more common and past BMW’s so ultimately overall less “special.” In your opinion do blue colors have better desirability vs more individualized and probably rarer colors like Java Green? I’m trying to strike a balance between something uncommon but also desirable.

Final 3 colors choices are:
  • Java Green
  • Atlantis Blue
  • Long Beach Blue

3) Another question is what do you think the best timeframe is for sale/trade is on BMW’s (1,2,3 years)? I know that they will take an initial hit on depreciation then eventually level out. While I know what to expect with Japanese vehicles, I know nothing in regard to European manufacturers and let’s assume a “normal” market and not this 2020-2023 timeline when car values were over-inflated.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated as I navigate my way into my first BMW.

-Chris

Just my two cents......

-Don't pick a color for resale at the end of the day its not going to add much "value" to the car. So pick the one you want/like/love the most

-Another great color for a green is Goodwood Green Perl and Irish Green

-I have Riviera Blue which is close to LBB. I love my color and ppl stop me all the time to ask about it.

-Personally I wouldn't get the Carbon exterior pack and would go with the extended shadowline delete because I like the mirrors and spoiler to be in the individual paint color.

-As for resale value in the short term Xdrive is the way to go but in the longer term the Manual will be much more valuable than the comp. This M3 is the last manual M3 and last Manual car for BMW along with the current M2.
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2023, 08:31 PM   #11
Cloudplay
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Anglesey Green

For a trade-in or the average potential buyer, the return on individual colors or the carbon exterior package will be minimal, IMO. I was looking for a used M3 before deciding to order, and I wouldn't have paid anything extra for the carbon package and the only color that would have made a difference for me is the now unavailable Verde ermes.
Appreciate 0