BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-09-2023, 02:41 AM   #1
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive

Unhappy Garage gate slammed into my car

So, I have a very narrow garage entrance with a sliding gate that leads to a fairly steep slope. Getting in and out is usually a pain in the ass. Sometimes when I'm turning into the garage (it's a tight left turn), I back up a bit and turn into it again if the angle is off.

On Saturday as I was returning home I had to reverse at the entrance since I didn't think I could get in. But for some weird reason every time I tried to put the car into reverse, it would automatically switch into neutral. I tried multiple times and each time it kept going back into neutral with some warning on the screen relating to one of the stupid driver assists (Something about PDC...). As I'm frantically trying to figure out what's going on with the car, I saw the garage gate closing on me. I had maybe 1-2 seconds before the gate slammed into the car, and now I'm pissed with myself that I didn't react faster.

Dumb avoidable incident that was the result of a combination of things: the car acting dumb, the gate sensor not working, and me being too slow to react.

The only "lucky" thing about the whole situation is that the side vent took the worst of the beating and can be easily replaced. The side skirt is also damaged and the paint is scratched somewhat badly right above the side skirt.

My questions are:

1) Do you happen to know what driver aid could be causing this?
2) How bad do you think the damage is and what's the best course of action? Is it fixable with touch-up paint or the whole panel needs to be repainted?

Obviously the damage is superficial, and this could have been far worse. But I feel like this is an issue that could cause serious accidents or injury and needs to be fixed by BMW. Imagine being stuck on railroad tracks and the car refusing to move.
Attached Images

2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 06:16 AM   #2
NFARVW
Gun Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ram TRX, 991.2 GT3RS, XC90 T8

Is this your personally owned gate or a gate at a complex not owned by you? If the gate is not your responsibility they are responsible to fix the damage since the sensor was not working. If you own the gate it's all on you.

Get the paint buffed and get PPF applied. Had you had PPF installed you wouldn't have any paint damage. Order a new side skirt and side fake (ugh) intake and move on with life.

Set an appt at dealer to look into the "stuck in neutral" cause. I'm assuming when you panicked your foot was switching between the brake and accelerator and your selection timing was off. In any case, get the gate sensor fixed.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
PVC156.00
      10-09-2023, 06:27 AM   #3
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

PVC

Normally the car tells you what system interfered.

This is the system that messed with you (and I have it disabled by default) - It's active pdc emergency activation

2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 3
TopJimmy5463.00
Needsdecaf6606.00
PVC156.00
      10-09-2023, 10:19 AM   #4
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlv View Post
PVC

Normally the car tells you what system interfered.

This is the system that messed with you (and I have it disabled by default) - It's active pdc emergency activation

yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. The issue is that there was nothing behind me. It'd go into reverse and then switch back to neutral.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 10:24 AM   #5
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFARVW View Post
Is this your personally owned gate or a gate at a complex not owned by you? If the gate is not your responsibility they are responsible to fix the damage since the sensor was not working. If you own the gate it's all on you.

Get the paint buffed and get PPF applied. Had you had PPF installed you wouldn't have any paint damage. Order a new side skirt and side fake (ugh) intake and move on with life.

Set an appt at dealer to look into the "stuck in neutral" cause. I'm assuming when you panicked your foot was switching between the brake and accelerator and your selection timing was off. In any case, get the gate sensor fixed.

Good luck.
The gate is for the community, but I don't think going after the building insurance is worth the hassle.

I have PPF on the bumper and a few other areas, but the side panel wasn't one. As for the neutral issue, I put it into reverse 3-4 times. I'm pretty sure it was the park distance control that was doing emergency braking or something of that nature. Not sure why it would do that when there was nothing behind me.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 11:52 AM   #6
NFARVW
Gun Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVC View Post
The gate is for the community, but I don't think going after the building insurance is worth the hassle.

I have PPF on the bumper and a few other areas, but the side panel wasn't one. As for the neutral issue, I put it into reverse 3-4 times. I'm pretty sure it was the park distance control that was doing emergency braking or something of that nature. Not sure why it would do that when there was nothing behind me.
100% I would hit their insurance. It's easy, just don't give the vehicle VIN to the insurance co. They will cut you a check after you send an estimate. You may have to fight a little and they will push back but the squeaky wheel gets paid. Do all comms by email for proof.

I had a $32,000 insurance claim on one of my Ferrari's after a dipshit business installed PPF with a razor blade instead of machine plotted. I had a check in 30 days. And it didn't affect the cars value. The insurance company whined and whined and tried everything to get to of it but I stuck to my guns and prevailed. Whatever you do, do NOT mention hiring an attorney, they will cut off all comms and tie up everything in legal and you'll never get paid. Just remind them they are responsible for the inured and damages incurred to the unsafe functioning of the gate. They will bend.

Not to mention what if that gate hits a kid or someone and injuries them? It's a liability and unfortunately the only thing that motivates irresponsibility is monetary loss, so hit em in the wallet and get your car and the gate fixed.
Appreciate 1
PVC156.00
      10-09-2023, 12:10 PM   #7
skyline408
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 M3 2022 F95 X5M

Quote:

I've had that happen where the car did not want to reverse with nothing behind me. I realized I was backing up into a steep driveway and the car PDC tried to prevent that. I tried several times and the car finally reversed.

If you have frozen paint, only option is a respray.
Appreciate 1
PVC156.00
      10-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #8
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I've had that happen where the car did not want to reverse with nothing behind me. I realized I was backing up into a steep driveway and the car PDC tried to prevent that. I tried several times and the car finally reversed.

If you have frozen paint, only option is a respray.
No, it's Skyscraper.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 12:34 PM   #9
PVC
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFARVW View Post
100% I would hit their insurance. It's easy, just don't give the vehicle VIN to the insurance co. They will cut you a check after you send an estimate. You may have to fight a little and they will push back but the squeaky wheel gets paid. Do all comms by email for proof.

I had a $32,000 insurance claim on one of my Ferrari's after a dipshit business installed PPF with a razor blade instead of machine plotted. I had a check in 30 days. And it didn't affect the cars value. The insurance company whined and whined and tried everything to get to of it but I stuck to my guns and prevailed. Whatever you do, do NOT mention hiring an attorney, they will cut off all comms and tie up everything in legal and you'll never get paid. Just remind them they are responsible for the inured and damages incurred to the unsafe functioning of the gate. They will bend.

Not to mention what if that gate hits a kid or someone and injuries them? It's a liability and unfortunately the only thing that motivates irresponsibility is monetary loss, so hit em in the wallet and get your car and the gate fixed.
It's a small HOA and I own my unit, so I am somewhat "responsible" or liable. That's why I'm a little hesitant to take that route; otherwise, I'd give them hell for it.
2015 335i
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 01:31 PM   #10
NFARVW
Gun Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's a small HOA and I own my unit, so I am somewhat "responsible" or liable. That's why I'm a little hesitant to take that route; otherwise, I'd give them hell for it.
Gotcha, I get that. Don't make enemies but I would bring it up and get the HOA to get the gate fixed. Good luck brother.
Appreciate 1
PVC156.00
      10-09-2023, 03:23 PM   #11
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

Quote:
yeah, I figured it'd be something like that. The issue is that there was nothing behind me. It'd go into reverse and then switch back to neutral.
Mine does this whenever I try to back out of my garage into direct sunlight. The sensors get easily confused and slam on the brakes while taking it out of gear. Scared the shit out of me the first couple of times I thought I had hit something.

Only solution I've found is keep at it until you can move a few inches and free up the offending sensor, whichever it is.
Appreciate 1
PVC156.00