Technical Sections Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

04-03-2024, 10:09 AM   #1
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3

PPF Issues

So this is my first car that’s ever gotten PPF applied and I’m wondering if anyone has encountered similar issues.

I went with a full front + roof + b pillars. There are a few dust specs underneath on some of the panels but I figured that might be normal. You don’t really see them unless you’re washing the car which brings me to my question. He also had to redo my roof as it was peeling up from the edges.

I washed the car over the weekend and noticed the bubbling from the PPF on the pillar of the rear passenger window. Installer is blaming my pressure washer but I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone having issues with peeling/bubbling PPF before. My pressure washer is just a cheap karcher but I’ve got an obsessed garage sprayer and wand so it’s setup for flow, not pressure.

Am I out of line here? Is this normal for PPF and I just need to be careful around the pillars? He also didn’t pull the hood emblem or fender badges when doing the initial install which was a head scratcher for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      04-03-2024, 10:25 AM   #2
CMW33
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp

I'm not a PPF expert but I don't think you're out of line. I would think PPF should be able to stand up to modest water pressure equivalent to an automatic car wash. I think you have a right to complain about the job they did here.
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2024, 10:27 AM   #3
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

What spray pattern tip(s) were you using? Also, how long was the car PPF'd before you washed it?

Installers are all different but I personally wouldn't want an install that didn't involve removing badges/emblems.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:50 AM   #4
Chapter2099
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CompX

That is NOT normal from my experience. I would definitely ensure they know. I’m not an expert so I won’t criticize but I would have them reinspect things.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:51 AM   #5
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtronics View Post
What spray pattern tip(s) were you using? Also, how long was the car PPF'd before you washed it?

Installers are all different but I personally wouldn't want an install that didn't involve removing badges/emblems.
I only use the 40 degree tip so the water isn’t really concentrated on one spot. The PPF was done back in December right after I took delivery.

I thought he would remove the emblems but I guess I should’ve asked. The fender had me concerned as well as you can see some crud at the bottom of the fender badge. Will this eventually cause the ppf to peel up? I have no idea.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:08 AM   #6
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gberg2119 View Post
I only use the 40 degree tip so the water isn’t really concentrated on one spot. The PPF was done back in December right after I took delivery.

I thought he would remove the emblems but I guess I should’ve asked. The fender had me concerned as well as you can see some crud at the bottom of the fender badge. Will this eventually cause the ppf to peel up? I have no idea.
Ok, thats the appropriate tip. If that B pillar is the only spot that is bubbling like that, I would think the installer would replace the piece under warranty. I have never had that happen after many cars with XPEL over the years.

Yeah, they should've removed the emblems because it will result in problems like you're having on the side vents. Unfortunately that build up isn't going to get better. You can try to clean it with a soft detail brush. If it gets really bad, it will have to be trimmed out.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 11:14 AM   #7
thatguyM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4

From what Im seeing and I do PPF ..... The Pillar not normal needs to be re done the Fender will just keep collecting dirt and spread more it will need to be trimmed or re done as well ....
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      04-03-2024, 11:43 AM   #8
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Both areas in the pictures look terrible. Those bubbles will not get any better and will likely get worse.
Limegrntaln13477.50
      04-03-2024, 12:02 PM   #9
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I would think pressure washing issues would be peeling, not random bubbling in the middle of an application.
Appreciate 3
Burrcold5324.50
Limegrntaln13477.50
Needsdecaf6607.50
      04-03-2024, 12:39 PM   #10
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

He said he'll replace the B pillar but blaming the pressure washer kind of shocked me. I didn't bring up the side marker but will when I take it back for the B pillar fix.

Lots of people get their very expensive cars PPF'ed and use pressure washers with no problems.

He said he didn't remove the side markers because of the risk of breakage which I know is . Pros can remove the emblems put them back no problem.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      04-03-2024, 02:23 PM   #11
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
He said he'll replace the B pillar but blaming the pressure washer kind of shocked me. I didn't bring up the side marker but will when I take it back for the B pillar fix.

Lots of people get their very expensive cars PPF'ed and use pressure washers with no problems.

He said he didn't remove the side markers because of the risk of breakage which I know is . Pros can remove the emblems put them back no problem.
Yes, I think most of us use a pressure washer on our cars and almost all pro detailers do too. It's totally safe if you're using the right equipment (PSI, tip, etc).

He should be experienced in removing all sorts of trim, emblems, etc. It's a lesson learned but you should always ask the installer all of these questions (and a bunch of others) ahead of the work being done but now you know for the future.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:12 PM   #12
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, I think most of us use a pressure washer on our cars and almost all pro detailers do too. It's totally safe if you're using the right equipment (PSI, tip, etc).

He should be experienced in removing all sorts of trim, emblems, etc. It's a lesson learned but you should always ask the installer all of these questions (and a bunch of others) ahead of the work being done but now you know for the future.
Yeah, he had to redo my roof because it was peeling up and he said he removed the trim around the edges to get the film down further.

Just sucks because this is kind of my “forever car” and I’m stuck with a mediocre PPF job.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 10:38 PM   #13
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Honestly dude, your PPF guy should probably not be doing PPF. I hope you didn’t pay a lot because you got ripped off by a goofball installer.
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13477.50
Burrcold5324.50
dtronics412.00
      04-04-2024, 12:44 AM   #14
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Im no professional, but, I think this installer was doing what you call "working dirty" Not working in a clean environment, and allowing contaminants into the work. My entire car is PPF'd and STek Dynoflex is amazing. Ive had mine installed for about 27 months, now, and its been perfect. As they say, its all about the install, and it looks like this install was destined to be a thorn in your side, straight from the start. My installer never sweats me using a pressure washer on mine, because, as they say, once its cured, it should be considered a semi permanent part of the paint. They need to heat seal the edges to make sure nothing gets in.

Appreciate 5
Burrcold5324.50
dtronics412.00
CMW33312.00
      04-04-2024, 08:26 AM   #15
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, he had to redo my roof because it was peeling up and he said he removed the trim around the edges to get the film down further.

Just sucks because this is kind of my “forever car” and I’m stuck with a mediocre PPF job.
If this is a "forever" car, you might just want to cut your losses and get the PPF redone by an authorized installer of the brand you choose. I've had PPF done to a lot of cars and never once had to replace any of the film due to these sort of issues.
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13477.50
ipilcher436.00
      04-04-2024, 08:56 AM   #16
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Im no professional, but, I think this installer was doing what you call "working dirty" Not working in a clean environment, and allowing contaminants into the work. My entire car is PPF'd and STek Dynoflex is amazing. Ive had mine installed for about 27 months, now, and its been perfect. As they say, its all about the install, and it looks like this install was destined to be a thorn in your side, straight from the start. My installer never sweats me using a pressure washer on mine, because, as they say, once its cured, it should be considered a semi permanent part of the paint. They need to heat seal the edges to make sure nothing gets in.
He touts working in a clean environment too but I think my car was a rush job for him. This is despite me giving several months notice of when I’d be bringing him the car.

There are a few more dust specks or whatever they are but when I brought it up he said he couldn’t guarantee a dust free install. That also annoyed me but given how he’s had to redo the roof and now the b pillars, I wasn’t going to push him on it as it would likely be even more of a rush job.

Quote:
If this is a "forever" car, you might just want to cut your losses and get the PPF redone by an authorized installer of the brand you choose. I've had PPF done to a lot of cars and never once had to replace any of the film due to these sort of issues.
FWIW this film is Covrgard which looks to be a new company. I’m already about $2,800 in the hole with this guy. No idea how much it would cost to have another shop remove this film and apply their own.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13477.50
      04-04-2024, 04:08 PM   #17
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
He touts working in a clean environment too but I think my car was a rush job for him. This is despite me giving several months notice of when I’d be bringing him the car.

There are a few more dust specks or whatever they are but when I brought it up he said he couldn’t guarantee a dust free install. That also annoyed me but given how he’s had to redo the roof and now the b pillars, I wasn’t going to push him on it as it would likely be even more of a rush job.

FWIW this film is Covrgard which looks to be a new company. I’m already about $2,800 in the hole with this guy. No idea how much it would cost to have another shop remove this film and apply their own.
The more pictures you post, the worse it gets. And I wouldnt worry too much about the cost of removal. I would get a steamer, and just do it yourself. I have a McCulloch MC1375. I would just get one of those, they are good to have for the car, anyway, and just remove it yourself.

I would get on Yelp in your area, or if you have other Bimmerpost, or BMW guys in your area, and find a shop that does amazing work. I like in the Sacramento area, and the shop that does my car, is unbelievable. I bought all of my OEM carbon after my car was full PPF'd and they said, bring it down, and we will just take care of it for you. They wrapped my OEM side skirts, my OEM front lip, and my OEM winglets, for nothing. And they do such a good job, everything is still flawless, 27 months, and 16k miles later.

Appreciate 2
Burrcold5324.50
M4Tejas788.00
      04-04-2024, 08:58 PM   #18
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
The more pictures you post, the worse it gets. And I wouldnt worry too much about the cost of removal. I would get a steamer, and just do it yourself. I have a McCulloch MC1375. I would just get one of those, they are good to have for the car, anyway, and just remove it yourself.

I would get on Yelp in your area, or if you have other Bimmerpost, or BMW guys in your area, and find a shop that does amazing work. I like in the Sacramento area, and the shop that does my car, is unbelievable. I bought all of my OEM carbon after my car was full PPF'd and they said, bring it down, and we will just take care of it for you. They wrapped my OEM side skirts, my OEM front lip, and my OEM winglets, for nothing. And they do such a good job, everything is still flawless, 27 months, and 16k miles later.
Yeah there’s a bunch of installers around Philly and this guy has great reviews too. I’ll have to do some more digging in case this doesn’t work out. I’m dropping it off next week for him to fix both pillars as I noticed a bubble on the driver side one this morning.

I’ve also thought about reaching out directly to the manufacturer since they’re a relatively new company and their website has no dealer locator that I can find. Was thinking of trying to find a different installer to fix it under warranty.

It’s been raining like crazy here the last few days so I went into the garage to take a look at the fender badges. Not good. Not good at all.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 09:00 PM   #19
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah there’s a bunch of installers around Philly and this guy has great reviews too. I’ll have to do some more digging in case this doesn’t work out. I’m dropping it off next week for him to fix both pillars as I noticed a bubble on the driver side one this morning.

I’ve also thought about reaching out directly to the manufacturer since they’re a relatively new company and their website has no dealer locator that I can find. Was thinking of trying to find a different installer to fix it under warranty.

It’s been raining like crazy here the last few days so I went into the garage to take a look at the fender badges. Not good. Not good at all.
Those cuts are not good. He must have some made up reviews or just rushed this job. Unfortunate to see this.
      04-04-2024, 09:36 PM   #20
Gberg2119
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Those cuts are not good. He must have some made up reviews or just rushed this job. Unfortunate to see this.
I’m going to try and get him to replace both fenders and pull the badges this time around. Not quite to the name and shame point yet but we’ll see how it goes next week.

Noticed the weather stripping is a little messed up on the roof and the corner is starting to peel up again. For those who’ve had the roof done, what do your corners look like? Is the film just not pliable enough to hold that corner?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:09 PM   #21
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep

I have XPEL Gloss on the non-painted and carbon fiber surfaces with XPEL Stealth on the painted surfaces. I have my car fully covered.

Roof rear:

Roof front:

Side vents:

Those pics are under harsh light using an Astro Pneumatic light. My installer removed my vents during the install so the film is tucked behind, there are some shadows reflecting but the film is tucked. I replaced my vents with the M Performance CF vents during the PPF. There are a bunch of threads on how to remove the side vents, it's very easy with a pry tool. There are 3 white clips per side.

My car was done with a combination of hand cutting and the computer/plotter. I think part of the issue might be the product in addition to installer rushing. You definitely shouldn't be having issues like this after a few months. Hope that helps a bit.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2024, 10:10 PM   #22
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I’m going to try and get him to replace both fenders and pull the badges this time around. Not quite to the name and shame point yet but we’ll see how it goes next week.

Noticed the weather stripping is a little messed up on the roof and the corner is starting to peel up again. For those who’ve had the roof done, what do your corners look like? Is the film just not pliable enough to hold that corner?
The weather strip is just caught under the channel piece. Those easily come off and you could pull the weather strip that's folded under (or just use a plastic pry tool and it should come up). Again, this kind of thing should have never been left in the first place though. It really sucks that people like yourself pay good money, and in return you get crappy workmanship.