BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-11-2024, 04:16 PM   #23
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
If you've never driven a manual and you want to then you should get the 6 speed. That's actually a really good reason to get one. I wouldn't learn on it though but you'll be fine if you try.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 04:35 PM   #24
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Palm beach county Fl….possibly one of the biggest wastes of a manual transmission in the US?

And this coming from a guy in Houston…
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 05:52 PM   #25
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to purchase E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Palm beach county Fl….possibly one of the biggest wastes of a manual transmission in the US?

And this coming from a guy in Houston…
I’ve to Palm Beach what makes it a big waste of a manual? I did own a manual when I was in Houston and I agree that was a total waste because of a lack of decent driving roads
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 06:31 PM   #26
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepats81 View Post
Is the G80 too powerful of a car to learn manual on? Will I be a danger to everyone around me? Should I get a slow car to practice on first? Or is going with a 6MT just over rated , and maybe I should forget it and go xdrive.

No.
No.
No.
And... no.

However, it's a lot of money, find a friend with a manual who will let you drive their car, or a friendly used car salesperson who will teach you first, before spending 80K.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 06:36 PM   #27
dtronics
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 /// M50i /// 964 C2

I found this place near you.

https://www.stickshiftdrivingacademy...lm-beach-33411
Appreciate 2
'Cane8620.50
AG23254.50
      02-11-2024, 08:19 PM   #28
AG23
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 WRX 6MT/2024 M3 On Order

I was in same situation. Have driven friends' manuals on a few occasions over the years but never owned one. Seeing how this might be the last manual m3 I decided to order the 6mt but wanted to get confident with driving a manual before going forward. I took a 3 hour driving class with an instructor from stick shift driving academy. Was totally worth it. I then bought a new wrx to daily. It took me about 2,500 miles (3 months or so) before I was totally confident in my abilities. First few months or so I'd stall, get stressed. Now it's second nature. I recommend taking a class and if possible buy a manual beater to practice on. I bought the wrx bc I didn't want to learn on the m3 and thrash it. One driving class likely wont be enough to get you totally comfortable IMO, you need to do it daily to gain the muscle memory. Long story short get the manual. Mine should be delivered this week
Appreciate 1
2011ninja3412.50
      02-11-2024, 09:44 PM   #29
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Unpopular opinion alert.

Manuals are often fetishized (especially in the U.S.) but at the end of the day, some cars are better suited for them than others. In the G80 platform, the manual is a bit of an afterthought. It's not available with xDrive and BMW had to detune the engine because they couldn't be bothered to redesign the existing 6-speed to handle the full torque of the S58. I haven't driven the manual version but those who have say that there is a very significant difference in acceleration between Comp and Non-Comp (the non-Comp is actually slower than the M340i). I know that acceleration isn't everything but this is a performance car and it would bother me knowing that I'm paying good money for what is basically a half-assed effort on BMW's part. If you really want a manual go for it but don't buy it because of the whole "true enthusiasts only drive manuals" hype. Objectively, the Comp is a better car in every way.
Appreciate 2
'Cane8620.50
kgelfen3602254.50
      02-11-2024, 10:14 PM   #30
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Good timing for my post…

The manual is the best part of the M3. Period.

Get it and have fun.
Appreciate 3
      02-11-2024, 10:26 PM   #31
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
Unpopular opinion alert.

Manuals are often fetishized (especially in the U.S.) but at the end of the day, some cars are better suited for them than others. In the G80 platform, the manual is a bit of an afterthought. It's not available with xDrive and BMW had to detune the engine because they couldn't be bothered to redesign the existing 6-speed to handle the full torque of the S58. I haven't driven the manual version but those who have say that there is a very significant difference in acceleration between Comp and Non-Comp (the non-Comp is actually slower than the M340i). I know that acceleration isn't everything but this is a performance car and it would bother me knowing that I'm paying good money for what is basically a half-assed effort on BMW's part. If you really want a manual go for it but don't buy it because of the whole "true enthusiasts only drive manuals" hype. Objectively, the Comp is a better car in every way.
It’s an automatic.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      02-11-2024, 11:12 PM   #32
GrannyShiftG80
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i, G80 M3 6MT

manual m3 is reallllllly slow basically forces you to tune which means ur warranty is gone

2011 E90 335i xDrive
1996 E36 318i
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:35 PM   #33
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyShiftG80 View Post
manual m3 is reallllllly slow basically forces you to tune which means ur warranty is gone
if one is chasing all-out acceleration, get an electric car.

Manual G8Xs aren't slow, they're just not as quick as Competition models...in most cases, they are plenty fast enough.
Appreciate 2
Llarry16417.00
      02-12-2024, 12:21 AM   #34
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Unpopular opinion alert.

You got all this without having driven the manual?

As for it being "slower" than the m340i - it's traction limited due to being RWD. In a roll, in the proper gear, it'll leave an m340i in its dust. Not to mention the difference between hitting a spreadsheet figure vs. the actual feeling of being pushed back into your seat - you'll get more of that feeling in the M3 between gear shifts than you will in the m340i over the power band especially once you get into the higher speeds. The m3 is lighter, has more hp and more torque than the m340i - it just happens to be that how fast you go will be a function of how fast you can row your gears - and that's part of the fun - you have to work for your speed rather than simply pressing something and letting it do all the work for you - and there's an immense level of satisfaction to be had in that, especially as you learn and improve.

Yes it's not as quick as the comp model, but really, you don't get the manual because you want the quickest car anyway - You get it for the engagement. The question isn't which car is objectively better. The question is which car is more fun to drive? And that comes down to personal preference. I find the engagement of rowing my own gears more fun than a little extra oomph in my acceleration.

I own the 6MT and have had ample seat time in the comp model. The one thing I will agree with you on is that you shouldn't get one based on what people say is how it's "supposed" to be (regardless of which side the argument is on) - you get one based on what your desires/needs are.

I'd urge you to actually drive the 6MT before forming an opinion and commenting on it. It's a hell of a lot of fun.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima

Last edited by wtwo3; 02-12-2024 at 12:26 AM..
Appreciate 5
marashka239.50
Llarry16417.00
bri10426024.50
s58544.00
      02-12-2024, 02:58 AM   #35
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Learn and test drive it first.
What you think is not what you always get.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:47 AM   #36
turbojg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 G82 M4 Comp. X-Drive

If you like showing off by burning rubber get the 2WD manual. If you want to go fast get the automatic with X-drive. Despite my love of driving a manual... I always felt 500 hp in a street car was a waste if you can't get all that power to the ground. Being turbocharged with gobs of torque makes that situation even worse.

However, if you just like having all that horsepower but never intend to really utilize it get the manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:44 AM   #37
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by deosaa9 View Post
I’ve to Palm Beach what makes it a big waste of a manual? I did own a manual when I was in Houston and I agree that was a total waste because of a lack of decent driving roads
Same reason as Houston.

Congested.

Flat.

Straight roads with 90 degree corners.

Am I missing something? I've never lived there, only been a half a dozen times but never got the sense that there were many driving roads. At least in Houston you can escape into the forests an hour away and it gets somewhat better.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 07:48 AM   #38
BRAKE!
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

There will be some growing pains on learning how to drive manual. But like with anything, you’ll get used to it soon. There is nothing else like it and I’m sure you’ll fall in love with it, go for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 08:39 AM   #39
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep
Drives: Mine

Quote:
Unpopular opinion alert.

This is spot on. I had a G80 M3 6MT (put almost 15K miles on it in ~2 years) and it just never felt right. Part of that was the car itself (clutch is vague, gearbox was rubbery without much positive action, and the gearing itself was not good either), and the other part is that my other cars were a 718 GT4 and a 991.1S both in manual which are two of, if not the best manuals out there.
I now have a G80 M3 xdrive (~3K miles in 7 months) and the entire car feels cohesive, and gestalt. You can tell that everything on the xdrive was built ground up to be optimized for this trim level. The car feels a bit sharper, the short gearing with the ZF8 is perfect, and now with the CS software the steering is even sharper, and the gearbox even better. The xdrive is heavily rwd bias so you lose nothing in terms of dynamics and the power delivery as well as the delta in torque is material to say the least. The car IMO is much more enjoyable MORE of the time.
If I were doing it again, I'd have skipped the manual. I was lucky enough that it only cost me a few grand to own the G80 M3 6MT for the time I did which made the swap pretty painless and ended up with an Individual color in the Xdrive which I prefer.
That being said, if you're not used to a good manual (Porsche or Caddy), or have only driven BMW manuals then you might be ok with it, but from my perspective the xdrive is the one to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:15 AM   #40
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
This is spot on. I had a G80 M3 6MT (put almost 15K miles on it in ~2 years) and it just never felt right. Part of that was the car itself (clutch is vague, gearbox was rubbery without much positive action, and the gearing itself was not good either), and the other part is that my other cars were a 718 GT4 and a 991.1S both in manual which are two of, if not the best manuals out there.
I now have a G80 M3 xdrive (~3K miles in 7 months) and the entire car feels cohesive, and gestalt. You can tell that everything on the xdrive was built ground up to be optimized for this trim level. The car feels a bit sharper, the short gearing with the ZF8 is perfect, and now with the CS software the steering is even sharper, and the gearbox even better. The xdrive is heavily rwd bias so you lose nothing in terms of dynamics and the power delivery as well as the delta in torque is material to say the least. The car IMO is much more enjoyable MORE of the time.
If I were doing it again, I'd have skipped the manual. I was lucky enough that it only cost me a few grand to own the G80 M3 6MT for the time I did which made the swap pretty painless and ended up with an Individual color in the Xdrive which I prefer.
That being said, if you're not used to a good manual (Porsche or Caddy), or have only driven BMW manuals then you might be ok with it, but from my perspective the xdrive is the one to have.
These threads typically turn into manual vs auto…. Is a big, heavy, powerful sport sedan and not the ideal platform for a manual. But a manual is offered and it’s pretty good. Those of us who prioritize driver involvement above all else will take the manual every time. I would not by an auto M3. Not interested. My last three daily drivers were all manual only cars. We have five cars (and three Ducati’s), four manuals and one PDK (wife’s). Had 981 GT4 and other cars which had world class manuals.

Porsche tried the ‘but PDK is better’ with the 991.1 GT3 but the market pushed back and back came the manual…
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:28 AM   #41
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyShiftG80 View Post
What? I can do low 4s to 60 and haven’t run a 1/4 but imagine mid 12’s. But the magic is in the canyons and at speed it’s plenty quick. The S58 is a beast.

I think it’s fast enough - and I’ve had both the comp x and the manual. It’s not as fast as a GTS 911 or even an S, but it’s certainly not “realllly slow.”
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 09:52 AM   #42
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
These threads typically turn into manual vs auto…. Is a big, heavy, powerful sport sedan and not the ideal platform for a manual. But a manual is offered and it’s pretty good. Those of us who prioritize driver involvement above all else will take the manual every time. I would not by an auto M3. Not interested. My last three daily drivers were all manual only cars. We have five cars (and three Ducati’s), four manuals and one PDK (wife’s). Had 981 GT4 and other cars which had world class manuals.

Porsche tried the ‘but PDK is better’ with the 991.1 GT3 but the market pushed back and back came the manual…
I'm a manual guy through and through, but I am not of the opinion that driving a subpar manual is a better experience. The manual BMW is using has basically been the same one they've been using for 20 years and it annoys me that for all of the wonderful engineering they do, and can do, they wouldn't offer a better manual experience.
PDK certainly is better if you're after lap times, but their manual experience is second to none especially on the GT cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:00 AM   #43
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToeShift View Post
I'm a manual guy through and through, but I am not of the opinion that driving a subpar manual is a better experience. The manual BMW is using has basically been the same one they've been using for 20 years and it annoys me that for all of the wonderful engineering they do, and can do, they wouldn't offer a better manual experience.
PDK certainly is better if you're after lap times, but their manual experience is second to none especially on the GT cars.
If you are going to criticize the manual relative to Porsche and not do the same for ZF8 v PDK, you’re fooling yourself. Some of us don’t want a Porsche and are fine with the 6MT in the BMW. I’ve enjoyed it since the e39 M5 and e46 M3. No complaints here
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:13 AM   #44
HeelToeShift
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerfun82 View Post
If you are going to criticize the manual relative to Porsche and not do the same for ZF8 v PDK, you’re fooling yourself. Some of us don’t want a Porsche and are fine with the 6MT in the BMW. I’ve enjoyed it since the e39 M5 and e46 M3. No complaints here
This thread isnt about PDK vs ZF8 though so that wouldnt be helpful, thus not broaching the subject.
Just my M cars I had 2 e46 m3s (both manual), 2 e92 M3s (one manual, one dct), a Z4M (manual), 2 F8x gen cars (both manual), F90 M5Comp (hated the ZF8 in that car), and now 2 G80 M3s. I think I started to enjoy the manual less once they went turbo as I find turbo engines are better often times with a transmission that keeps the boost up. I felt the same way about my 991.2 Carrera S in manual too...good manual but didnt enjoy it as much as my 991.2 Carrera T with PDK.
Appreciate 0