BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-13-2024, 04:10 PM   #23
ipilcher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Tight’s tight man. It’s just meant to hold stuff up and not back out. You’re not baking a soufflé.
Given all the plastic down there, I'm more worried about overtightening.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 04:27 PM   #24
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Tight’s tight man. It’s just meant to hold stuff up and not back out. You’re not baking a soufflé.
Torque specs are designed to prevent failures of the bolts and fasteners, which can happen in a thing moving fast, vibrating, and generally not standing still during high stress situations.

ipilcher Here's a reddit thread that has some good info in it: https://old.reddit.com/r/AskEngineer...ue_values_for/
Appreciate 1
kgelfen3602254.50
      02-13-2024, 04:38 PM   #25
kgelfen360
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

This great info!!
Do u guys have good torque wrench in Nm u can recommend. I have nice one but it’s in ft-lb. I know there is a conversion and it’s on it but seems not as accurate. Anyway open to suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 04:43 PM   #26
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Torque specs are designed to prevent failures of the bolts and fasteners, which can happen in a thing moving fast, vibrating, and generally not standing still during high stress situations.

ipilcher Here's a reddit thread that has some good info in it: https://old.reddit.com/r/AskEngineer...ue_values_for/
LOL. The "bolt" this kid is asking about for the Zunesport is simply one of the thousand 10mm hex head thread cutting screws used to fasten plastic panels. Just hand tight, probably 20 inch/lbs.
      02-13-2024, 05:06 PM   #27
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

You’re not building an engine here. I know how and why torque specs exist and if you’re incapable of working on the most basic things on cars without your torque wrench, well…. maybe don’t work on them. I’ve changed oil on cars for years and on my current one for 200k miles and tightened the filter housing by hand/feel without any issues and same with the drain bolt. For lugs I choose to use a torque wrench but again, I could easily do it without and it would be fine, it’s just personal preference. Important stuff like suspension or engine mounts or other stuff, yeah, use a torque wrench, but if you can’t install some front lip fasteners without popping one because you ham fisted it, maybe you deserve to so that you learn. I honestly don’t know ANYONE who busts out a small torque wrench to install fasteners for underbody trays or protectors. It’s literally a laughable concept, but that’s just me. I can’t imagine how much someone would get laughed at looking up and torquing fasteners when installing mud flaps. 🤣

And listen, I’m not picking on the guy who asked the question or laughing at him for doing so, all I’m saying is that he’s overthinking it. He literally needs to learn and realize that when he takes that screw out, he’ll be able to tell how much force it took to break loose. Use that same info when you put it back on. It’s literally just that… way too much worrying… get under there and put your hands on the stuff and you’ll soon learn that it’s not brain surgery. Don’t overthink, just work on the car and enjoy it.

Last edited by SwankPeRFection; 02-13-2024 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 05:34 PM   #28
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
You’re not building an engine here. I know how and why torque specs exist and if you’re incapable of working on the most basic things on cars without your torque wrench, well…. maybe don’t work on them. I’ve changed oil on cars for years and on my current one for 200k miles and tightened the filter housing by hand/feel without any issues and same with the drain bolt. For lugs I choose to use a torque wrench but again, I could easily do it without and it would be fine, it’s just personal preference. Important stuff like suspension or engine mounts or other stuff, yeah, use a torque wrench, but if you can’t install some front lip fasteners without popping one because you ham fisted it, maybe you deserve to so that you learn. I honestly don’t know ANYONE who busts out a small torque wrench to install fasteners for underbody trays or protectors. It’s literally a laughable concept, but that’s just me. I can’t imagine how much someone would get laughed at looking up and torquing fasteners when installing mud flaps. ��

And listen, I’m not picking on the guy who asked the question or laughing at him for doing so, all I’m saying is that he’s overthinking it. He literally needs to learn and realize that when he takes that screw out, he’ll be able to tell how much force it took to break loose. Use that same info when you put it back on. It’s literally just that… way too much worrying… get under there and put your hands on the stuff and you’ll soon learn that it’s not brain surgery. Don’t overthink, just work on the car and enjoy it.
Yeah you know, I didn't read so far into the question that I would have given specific context (specific bolt/screw) on what information they were looking for. I simply saw a bumped thread on torque specs asking "how are torque specs determined" followed by an unnecessarily snarky comment from you, so I figured best to reply with level-headed information rather than leave it seeming like you're dunking on him for asking a simple question.

If all you're trying to say is "you're overthinking it" then say that the first time.
Appreciate 1
Hit_Apex2393.00