BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-19-2023, 06:15 PM   #23
MBoriPerf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 Audi Q5

Wow!
Great insight, thanks for sharing your experience
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 10:21 PM   #24
Dirtbikerr450
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomsinaspacecoupe View Post
Drove my '23 M4 xDrive from PCD back to Ohio and here are my tips. CHECK YOUR CAR FOR DAMAGE BEFORE TOUCHING IT!!! Can't stress this enough. If your car is scratched or damaged in any way and you drive it away without noting... it will now be YOUR problem. My carbon fiber bucket seat back was gouged/scratched but thankfully i caught it. $5000 warranty claim... What I didn't catch the dented key, scratched steering wheel, swirls/scratches on the cars hips and trunk but a couple calls to BMW corporate got that worked out for me.

When you go to apply the Track Armour you will have very limited time. They will rush you from event to event and try to get you out of the delivery bay FAST. My advice? SKIP the stupid X5 "off-roading" and/or the long museum tour. When applying the PPF, DO NOT overlap the wrap on top of other pieces. They will blow away/flap in the wind at speed. Don't bother wrapping left and right of the windshield, mine flapped/slapped against the car and left residue marks in the clear coat. Go slow and ensure no areas on the front bumper will act like rock-catchers.

How much track wrap did you use or need. I plan on ordering three of 4" X 20' . Think that will be enough? So a total of 12" X 60'
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #25
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

I used track armour for my drive back from the Performance Center to NY. When I removed it, there were marks in the paint that had to be removed by the PPF installer. It wasn't glue residue, it almost looked like it etched the clearcoat.
I know some other reviewers of Track Armour reported similar issues, so I would be careful with it as it may cause more damage than it prevents.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:54 PM   #26
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Extra wide painters tape? https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Blue-Pai.../dp/B08XS3X9S9
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2023, 01:15 PM   #27
ChiTownM
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M and i BMWs

Drove from PCD to Chicago without any additional wrapping. Be cautious around the construction zones and dont get too close to the semi trucks and the chances that nothing happens are quite good. I am sharing this because I went down the same rat hole and then just gave up on it. Didn’t want to buy it and too lazy to apply at delivery. Drove straight to my PPF guy and no particular issues to report on.

YMMV, just sharing a different point of view - enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 1
wavyyyy1046.50
      06-08-2023, 07:38 AM   #28
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

I used wide blue painters tape (forget the track armor). Detailer said it was okay. It was.
Start from the mid (or further back if you want) of the hood and overlap slightly as you go forward, and side mirrors. I didn't do that in all sections and the rain and wind started to get pieces flapping. It worked for the 550 miles I drove it home. Paint was totally fine after all that.
In case you forget it; stop by Home Depot, etc. on the way from PCD.
Appreciate 0