BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-23-2022, 10:17 AM   #1
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Nitrogen

Do all G8X come with Nitrogen inflated tires?
Mine came with these caps, which I assume means my tires are inflated with Nitrogen.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:20 AM   #2
M0J0
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: XM3C '22 JKUR '13

No, nitrogen is an addition when you sign the papers. It is a pointless addition too. Nitrogen is something you only need when you are racing. They tried to sell me it too along with extra insurance etc.

Last edited by M0J0; 02-23-2022 at 10:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:23 AM   #3
HorsePower
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 G80 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0J0 View Post
No, nitrogen is an addition when you sign the papers. It is a pointless addition too. Nitrogen is something you only need when you a racing. They tried to sell me it too along with extra insurance etc.
My dealer didn’t even try to sell it to me. Guess they know me by now.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 10:26 AM   #4
KylianHamilton
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G80 M3C, Tesla M3

Garage List
What's the benefit of having N2 in your tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 10:33 AM   #5
Rono63
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

It's supposed to be some what more stable.

I was not charged for it. Payed MSRP with no extra add on.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2022, 10:37 AM   #6
ano0oj
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 AWD, '23 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylianHamilton View Post
What's the benefit of having N2 in your tires?
Less prone to significant pressure change with temperature
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #7
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Many dealers sell it at ridiculous premiums. If it's a couple bucks, go ahead and splurge if you'd like, but it's not worth the minuscule differences.

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...s-a6260003694/
https://www.aaa.com/autorepair/artic...late-car-tires
      02-23-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
I wouldn't call it worthless. I think the dealers overcharge for it, but they need to pay for their equipment they purchased to provide the nitrogen fill.

Nitrogen is an inert gas, meaning that its not flammable. It's also lighter than the air it displaces, meaning there are no explosive blowouts, like when you pop a balloon, with a needle.

We used it exclusively in the airline industry, for filling tires. The gas is more stable, which means there is less of a pressure difference, from cold to hot. So, as our tires get hotter, from use, the pressure fluctuation, is less.

When tires filled with Oxygen, heat up, you can expect to see a temperature difference between 4° to 7° F . While the swing with Nitrogen may be 0° to 2° F, causing a lower heat cycling range, effectively, slightly, lengthening tire life, from less heat damage.

Appreciate 3
chicagofan0019236.00
mzwerner393.50
2011ninja3412.50
      02-23-2022, 11:31 AM   #9
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

you guys realize that air is nearly 80% nitrogen to start with right? It is impossible to get 100% nitrogen into your tires. Realistically, you're getting it filled out of poorly maintained equipment by a tech who doesn't give a shit. Maybe you are getting 90% N2 instead of the 78% you get with regular air. Very much not worth it outside of specific circumstances.
Appreciate 3
Nkr151123.50
Holset275.50
iviegatron2543.50
      02-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #10
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Nitrogen is an inert gas, meaning that its not flammable. It's also lighter than the air it displaces, meaning there are no explosive blowouts, like when you pop a balloon, with a needle.
When tires filled with Oxygen
While there are benefits to nitrogen in tires, the bigger benefit is using dry air which is what nitrogen fills do better than regular air machines. The pressure changes for nitrogen with temperature are still the same, the physics doesn't change. Moisture in the air in the tire will make pressure changes more drastic when the temperature changes.

The usual air compressor machines at gas stations are going give you a mix of water vapor and air where the air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and the rest is "other" because that's what our air consistent of. Nobody is filling tires with air that has substantially more oxygen.

If you're filling your tires on a very humid day, that water vapor displaces nitrogen, oxygen, and other gasses. What you get now is maybe 1% water vapor and 99% air as opposed to maybe 0.5% water vapor and 99.5% air. (These are made up numbers)

When you do a nitrogen fill, those air content ratios are changed where the best machines get you as close to 99% nitrogen as they can and the rest is "oxygen, other." Typically, the nitrogen contents aren't close to 99% and much closer to 78%. However, it is much dryer air so the pressure will be relatively more stable compared to regular air/water vapor mixes.

Take a look at this tire filling machine that drys compressed air or nitrogen - https://www.intercompracing.com/docu...ner-Racing.pdf

If your dealership has that, use it and worry much less about your tire pressures.
      02-23-2022, 12:25 PM   #11
NightWriter
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Pure

Quote:
I wouldn't call it worthless. I think the dealers overcharge for it, but they need to pay for their equipment they purchased to provide the nitrogen fill.

We used it exclusively in the airline industry, for filling tires. The gas is more stable, which means there is less of a pressure difference, from cold to hot. So, as our tires get hotter, from use, the pressure fluctuation, is less.

When tires filled with Oxygen, heat up, you can expect to see a temperature difference between 4° to 7° F . While the swing with Nitrogen may be 0° to 2° F, causing a lower heat cycling range, effectively, slightly, lengthening tire life, from less heat damage.
It's not worthless, but it's more important for extreme temperature variances (like aircraft tires experience, and racing). For regular road use, you're still going to need to check and top off air (or nitrogen) periodically. And if you are paying for it at a dealership/shop, casually ask to see their tanks to verify they're not shortchanging you with a lower-grade 78% N2, 21% O2 combo (aka air).
      02-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #12
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
While there are benefits to nitrogen in tires, the bigger benefit is using dry air which is what nitrogen fills do better than regular air machines. The pressure changes for nitrogen with temperature are still the same, the physics doesn't change. Moisture in the air in the tire will make pressure changes more drastic when the temperature changes.

The usual air compressor machines at gas stations are going give you a mix of water vapor and air where the air is 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and the rest is "other" because that's what our air consistent of. Nobody is filling tires with air that has substantially more oxygen.

If you're filling your tires on a very humid day, that water vapor displaces nitrogen, oxygen, and other gasses. What you get now is maybe 1% water vapor and 99% air as opposed to maybe 0.5% water vapor and 99.5% air. (These are made up numbers)

When you do a nitrogen fill, those air content ratios are changed where the best machines get you as close to 99% nitrogen as they can and the rest is "oxygen, other." Typically, the nitrogen contents aren't close to 99% and much closer to 78%. However, it is much dryer air so the pressure will be relatively more stable compared to regular air/water vapor mixes.

Take a look at this tire filling machine that drys compressed air or nitrogen - https://www.intercompracing.com/docu...ner-Racing.pdf

If your dealership has that, use it and worry much less about your tire pressures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
It's not worthless, but it's more important for extreme temperature variances (like aircraft tires experience, and racing). For regular road use, you're still going to need to check and top off air (or nitrogen) periodically. And if you are paying for it at a dealership/shop, casually ask to see their tanks to verify they're not shortchanging you with a lower-grade 78% N2, 21% O2 combo (aka air).
Correct, we are offering the ultra geek out, on why dealerships push nitrogen fill. But is it all that big of a deal on a daily driver? Not likely.

Appreciate 1
2011ninja3412.50
      02-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #13
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Nitrogen has been proven pretty reliably to show no material improvement for passenger car tires. The fact that places charge money for it is even worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 01:21 PM   #14
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Nitrogen has been proven pretty reliably to show no material improvement for passenger car tires. The fact that places charge money for it is even worse.
It's all in the cost of equipment. Are dealers getting their Nitrogen Delivered in Cylinders, or are they buying Nitrogen machines? Nitrogen machines, dont produce nitrogen, they use a membrane system, that removes Oxygen from the air, leaving Nitrogen.

Why Nitrogen?

Nitrogen is Air – without the bad stuff. Air is about 78% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen with moisture and some other gases. Tires loose pressure because air goes right through the rubber. This is called permeation. The Oxygen in air escapes much faster, causing quick initial pressure loss. Laboratory guides rate the permeability rate through rubber of Oxygen at 23.3 vs. Nitrogen at only 9.43. Oxygen, CO2 and Helium all leak faster than Nitrogen. Oxygen is also reactive. “Oxidation” weakens, dries and cracks rubber. It can also damage Alloy rims and break-down sealants. Moisture can corrode valves from the inside causing problems with proper valve closure. All problems with regular air are accelerated by pressure. Nitrogen is the best solution. Nitrogen inflated tires maintain a more consistent tire pressure across different temperatures. Tire performance is more reliable and efficient when recommended tire pressure is maintained and heat is reduced. Most auto dealers recommend Nitrogen inflation exclusively for vehicles with tire pressure monitoring systems to prevent heat-related pressure warnings from your vehicle.

Appreciate 1
2011ninja3412.50
      02-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #15
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

This is why non car people think I'm out of my mind.

We will debate the value of nitrogen to standard air pumps to inflate tires.

This is a safe place for these discussions.

And now I know a lot more about nitrogen
Appreciate 4
Limegrntaln13546.50
chicagofan0019236.00
wavyyyy1046.50
      02-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #16
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011ninja View Post
This is why non car people think I'm out of my mind.

We will debate the value of nitrogen to standard air pumps to inflate tires.

This is a safe place for these discussions.

And now I know a lot more about nitrogen

Appreciate 1
2011ninja3412.50
      02-23-2022, 01:44 PM   #17
KylianHamilton
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G80 M3C, Tesla M3

Garage List
Think I'll opt for the Helium option to make the car a little lighter
Appreciate 3
Limegrntaln13546.50
s58544.00
      02-23-2022, 01:51 PM   #18
s58
DROP TABLE EVs;
Rep
Drives: 2023 m3 6MT, 2015 Lexus GX460

Quote:
Gotta reduce that unsprung mass as much as possible!
Join BMWCCA today and become eligible for members only events, discounts, and the new car rebate of up to $1000! Feel free to use me as a referral (with member #553730) which enters me for a performance school day (I should probably be better at driving, anyway).
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:13 PM   #19
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

Quote:
With the size of a Helium molecule, it will leak out so much faster.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 02:44 PM   #20
androidtopp
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Focus ST, 2022 M3Cx

Garage List
2013 Ford Focus  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Comp/x7 View Post
With the size of a Helium molecule, it will leak out so much faster.
Remember also that helium nuclei are identical to alpha particles, so as it leaks out, you get radiation poisoning. Or something like that.

Seems like you should pay for nitrogen just for the safety aspect...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2022, 04:36 PM   #21
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Quote:
It's all in the cost of equipment. Are dealers getting their Nitrogen Delivered in Cylinders, or are they buying Nitrogen machines? Nitrogen machines, dont produce nitrogen, they use a membrane system, that removes Oxygen from the air, leaving Nitrogen.

Why Nitrogen?

Nitrogen is Air – without the bad stuff. Air is about 78% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen with moisture and some other gases. Tires loose pressure because air goes right through the rubber. This is called permeation. The Oxygen in air escapes much faster, causing quick initial pressure loss. Laboratory guides rate the permeability rate through rubber of Oxygen at 23.3 vs. Nitrogen at only 9.43. Oxygen, CO2 and Helium all leak faster than Nitrogen. Oxygen is also reactive. “Oxidation” weakens, dries and cracks rubber. It can also damage Alloy rims and break-down sealants. Moisture can corrode valves from the inside causing problems with proper valve closure. All problems with regular air are accelerated by pressure. Nitrogen is the best solution. Nitrogen inflated tires maintain a more consistent tire pressure across different temperatures. Tire performance is more reliable and efficient when recommended tire pressure is maintained and heat is reduced. Most auto dealers recommend Nitrogen inflation exclusively for vehicles with tire pressure monitoring systems to prevent heat-related pressure warnings from your vehicle.
None of that is of a material enough benefit to justify paying for or even worrying about Nitrogen. Especially for the "lease it for 3 years and trade it in" BMW crowd. For example, oxidation of rubber and corrosion of rims from oxygen in your tires is not even close to being a reasonable concern for any of us. This is getting a tad ridiculous.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13546.50
      02-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #22
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Quote:

[SIZE="4"]Why Nitrogen?[/SIZE]

None of that is of a material enough benefit to justify paying for or even worrying about Nitrogen. Especially for the "lease it for 3 years and trade it in" BMW crowd. For example, oxidation of rubber and corrosion of rims from oxygen in your tires is not even close to being a reasonable concern for any of us. This is getting a tad ridiculous.
Agreed, these are extreme circumstances when comparing them to everyday road cars. I have seen some massive corrosion in places where it's cold and wet all the time. Like the East Coast and the UK. But I'm sure it's not to this level.

Appreciate 0