BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

02-02-2022, 05:59 AM   #23
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Asking out of utter naivety (though eagerly imagining at the same time what fun it'll be to toggle between all these modes!), how do you switch back to the default/standard/Comfort mode once you're in either M1 or M2. Say, when you get on the motorway and you want to sit back and relax, how do you switch out of M1/2?

Thanks all, anyway, for the sample configurations!

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:16 AM   #24
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidXJ View Post
Asking out of utter naivety (though eagerly imagining at the same time what fun it'll be to toggle between all these modes!), how do you switch back to the default/standard/Comfort mode once you're in either M1 or M2. Say, when you get on the motorway and you want to sit back and relax, how do you switch out of M1/2?

You just click M1 or M2, again, to turn it back off. The car has the standard mode, however you configure it, then M1 settings and then M2 settings, so technically it has 3 modes. Standard mode for me, is everything in efficient. Then the sporty settings for M1 minus the shocks, have those set to 2 in M1. Then 3 is launch control settings.

Appreciate 1
DavidXJ664.50
      02-02-2022, 06:18 AM   #25
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
Quote:

You just click M1 or M2, again, to turn it back off. The car has the standard mode, however you configure it, then M1 settings and then M2 settings, so technically it has 3 modes. Standard mode for me, is everything in efficient. Then the sporty settings for M1 minus the shocks, have those set to 2 in M1. Then 3 is launch control settings.
Excellent--thank you!

D

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13616.00
      02-03-2022, 12:51 PM   #26
DavidXJ
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BardG View Post
Isn't there a button on the console to open the exhaust valves? (I don't have my car yet) Or are you set up to open them before starting the car?
By doing what I did/wrote above you can have them opened pre start- or you can use the button individually.

In reality, as shown in the exhaust section here, the valves still are not fully open unless under load.
So, what you're clarifying here is that the engine setting (to Sport or to Sport Plus) is what opens the exhaust valves (as on my 40i), so as to get a nice burbly/barking start (the exhaust button on the centre console plays no other role in that, as I've heard it's always 'on', a bit like the reverse-hold brake function, unless you purposefully switch it off?); but that only when operating under higher revs do the valves fully open?

Previous:
G20 M340i
G20 330i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2022, 02:36 PM   #27
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
So, what you're clarifying here is that the engine setting (to Sport or to Sport Plus) is what opens the exhaust valves (as on my 40i), so as to get a nice burbly/barking start (the exhaust button on the centre console plays no other role in that, as I've heard it's always 'on', a bit like the reverse-hold brake function, unless you purposefully switch it off?); but that only when operating under higher revs do the valves fully open?
My last sentence was actually a statement all on its own. With the G8X the valve button (even with the most aggressive set up and exhaust button lit) still dont fully open the valves unless under heavy load. Quite a few members have either tied the valves open or bought valve controllers.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1829847
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 02-03-2022 at 04:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
DavidXJ664.50