BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

04-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #23
Pantagathus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 BGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantagathus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Now that people had time to test drive some cars – has anyone driven both back to back?
I drove a manual but did not have a chance to drive an auto. Lack of Low end torque is really noticeable in a manual. You have to drive it like you stole it to get performance out of the car at regular street speeds. Car still shines in braking and cornering where I think they are equal but acceleration is the question.
Most tests do one or the other with majority concentrating on competition model, but these factors will really play a role in track time and straight line:
- 100lb deficit in torque
- 30Hp deficit in power
- Taller gears in manual
- Fewer gears in manual
- Slower shifting in manual
I haven't driven the automatic so can't really comment on the comparison, but I'm sure from a standing start the auto will feel (and be) a ton faster. 1st gear on the 6MT is very tall, and the 1st - 2nd shift always feels a bit awkward to me, it's probably my biggest complaint. 2nd, and definitely 3rd, you are caning pretty much everything else on the street.

There is a huge difference (more than I expected) between engine modes. "Efficient" can feel kind of dull, sport+ is noticeably more responsive and feels a lot more powerful.
Hi! Do you know what speed the car is going at the top of first, and at the top of second?
I'm still in break-in so haven't pushed to the redline, I've been trying very hard to stay well under 5k
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:01 PM   #24
lch6257
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 E93 M3-DCT,'21 G80 M3-6MT

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dialogical View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Now that people had time to test drive some cars – has anyone driven both back to back?
I drove a manual but did not have a chance to drive an auto. Lack of Low end torque is really noticeable in a manual. You have to drive it like you stole it to get performance out of the car at regular street speeds. Car still shines in braking and cornering where I think they are equal but acceleration is the question.
Most tests do one or the other with majority concentrating on competition model, but these factors will really play a role in track time and straight line:
- 30Hp deficit in power
- Taller gears in manual
- Fewer gears in manual
I haven't driven the automatic so can't really comment on the comparison, but I'm sure from a standing start the auto will feel (and be) a ton faster. 1st gear on the 6MT is very tall, and the 1st - 2nd shift always feels a bit awkward to me, it's probably my biggest complaint. 2nd, and definitely 3rd, you are caning pretty much everything else on the street.

There is a huge difference (more than I expected) between engine modes. "Efficient" can feel kind of dull, sport+ is noticeably more responsive and feels a lot more powerful.
Hi! Do you know what speed the car is going at the top of first, and at the top of second?
I'm still in break-in so haven't pushed to the redline, I've been trying very hard to stay well under 5k
First gear does feel to tall which is kinda expected, but once you hit second it's a rocket ship all the way to the top of sixth. It's an absolute blast to drive when you ask it to be....which imho, is what makes it an M3. I love how different the car feels with the touch of a properly configured button. Grocery hauler turns into track machine in a second and pulling through those gears never gets old! Manual all the way!! Good luck finding one...talked to my CA today and he said they only have one allocation as of now....ordering is about the only way to get one.
Appreciate 2
Vintage380.50
      04-12-2021, 08:20 PM   #25
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro9 View Post
3rd pedal 4Life....
Depends on how many years you still deem to be alive?

MT and EV are totally incompatible and all MT are perishing like last snowflakes in the sun for emission control, Euro 7 terminates it.
Appreciate 1
opielm88.00
      04-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #26
filostrato
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

I haven't had a chance to drive the ZF auto yet, but I can echo the comments that with the 6MT the torque curve of the S58 is much gentler on the low end than I was expecting. It actually makes the car very comfortable around town and suits the character of the car well.

But as soon as you hit a nice stretch of road, one downshift turns it into an absolute beast

I've always enjoyed the anticipation of a well selected gear change and throttle input more than just matting the throttle and hoping the auto picks the right gear in time. So yes, the auto will be "faster" but less engaging for some.
Appreciate 2
Ilyam5896.00
      04-13-2021, 01:58 AM   #27
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
You refer to the lack of low down torque?
Not exactly.
This engine is dead below 3000 rpm (both automatic and manual), and this is nothing new. After that, the boost comes but the power delivery is very flat, dull, boring, no kick in the seat, you feel that the engine could do a lot more but is limited. You can downshift but the engine still works on the same flat range of torque, almost nothing changes. And no, it's nothing remotely close to an NA engine, it's just boring, you don't feel the kick of a turbo or the nastiness of an NA. It's not very exciting to me, you feel like you're waiting for something to happen, but nothing does.
It's not a transmission issue, the manual stick is always a joy, but it would feel even better with a stronger torque delivery. Nothing a tune can't fix.
Just compare the acceleration times between the manual F82 and the manual G82, the G82 in 4th gear is as fast as the F82... in 5th gear
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 05:32 AM   #28
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIERsr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebones View Post
I'm a lifelong 6MT driver....haven't driven one in 2 years. I wonder how long it will be before I adjust.
Yeah, it was a joy to handle a stick after a long time.
Unfortunately, the dull power delivery ruins the experience a bit And it's not a matter of performance.
You planning on tuning?

For me, I'm thinking the base G80 will feel substantially slower than my CS.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 06:31 AM   #29
Scorp!on
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 MT BSM

Quote:
Not exactly.
This engine is dead below 3000 rpm (both automatic and manual), and this is nothing new. After that, the boost comes but the power delivery is very flat, dull, boring, no kick in the seat, you feel that the engine could do a lot more but is limited. You can downshift but the engine still works on the same flat range of torque, almost nothing changes. And no, it's nothing remotely close to an NA engine, it's just boring, you don't feel the kick of a turbo or the nastiness of an NA. It's not very exciting to me, you feel like you're waiting for something to happen, but nothing does.
It's not a transmission issue, the manual stick is always a joy, but it would feel even better with a stronger torque delivery. Nothing a tune can't fix.
Just compare the acceleration times between the manual F82 and the manual G82, the G82 in 4th gear is as fast as the F82... in 5th gear

I will my car on Friday and see if this really applies.
On the other hand, I will anyway be blown away as I'm driving a bloody Citroen C2 since 3 months
Appreciate 1
KoenG1428.50
      04-13-2021, 07:40 AM   #30
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Not exactly.
What are you basing this on? A test drive? Yes the S58 doesn't blow its torque wad early like the S55 but it also doesn't peter out at higher RPM like the S55 as it feels stronger as you get closer to the redline. Best way I can describe it is that if feels like a supercharged version of the Mustang Coyote engine. You can see by the trap speeds of S58 equipped cars that the engine doesn't fall off like the S55 when you get going as it just keeps pulling away. If you like the feel of today's modern commuter car turbocharged engines that are made to provide instant torque for the street then yes you may be disappointed but if you are into motorsports the power delivery of the S58 is much better.
Appreciate 1
opielm88.00
      04-13-2021, 08:00 AM   #31
Kinglagos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 G82

On my 6mt there is some "lag" until around 2000rpm, after that it starts pushing very lineary and predictably. I find the throttle modulation excellent and it will be a blast to use on a track as you can really dance around with the pedal and achieve what you are looking for. At 6th gear, 3000rpm and driving at around 150kmh you tap the throttle and it propels forward. I am still in break-in so no experiences at revs above 3800. I plan to increase the rpm as I am getting closer to the service.
      04-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #32
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You planning on tuning?

It is, but still a very enjoyable car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp!on View Post
I will my car on Friday and see if this really applies.
On the other hand, I will anyway be blown away as I'm driving a bloody Citroen C2 since 3 months
It's a fast car, no worries!
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
What are you basing this on? A test drive? Yes the S58 doesn't blow its torque wad early like the S55 but it also doesn't peter out at higher RPM like the S55 as it feels stronger as you get closer to the redline. Best way I can describe it is that if feels like a supercharged version of the Mustang Coyote engine. You can see by the trap speeds of S58 equipped cars that the engine doesn't fall off like the S55 when you get going as it just keeps pulling away. If you like the feel of today's modern commuter car turbocharged engines that are made to provide instant torque for the street then yes you may be disappointed but if you are into motorsports the power delivery of the S58 is much better.
Yep, I test drove a manual M3 and it's substantially different from your X3M. I'm referring to the base M3 with 480hp/550nm, your S58 has a different tune, much stronger at mid-rpm.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 08:33 AM   #33
2011ninja
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 6MT

Quote:
- 30Hp deficit in power
- Taller gears in manual
- Fewer gears in manual
I want these 1st world problems

Slumming in an F80
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:02 AM   #34
m20e3087
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I had a chance to drive the 6 speed, as many had mentioned it's all about driver engagement. This is my 1st M with auto, main reason being wife wanted to experience it lol. I am leasing so it's fine. However if I was keeping her long term it definitely would be manual. Could care less about power, or zero to sixty speed, it's all about the feel IMO.
Appreciate 1
Scorp!on1514.50
      04-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #35
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I'm a lifelong 6MT driver....haven't driven one in 2 years. I wonder how long it will be before I adjust.
In my experience none at all, it’s like riding a bike

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
KoenG1428.50
      04-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #36
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
You planning on tuning?

That JB4 is pretty tempting
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #37
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckM View Post
That JB4 is pretty tempting
I'll wait to see what flash tunes are out when they crack the DME. I'm about to go into production so I still got 8 weeks before delivery and then I plan on driving the car for 2 months (minimum) before tuning.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 11:47 AM   #38
CanuckM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
I'll wait to see what flash tunes are out when they crack the DME. I'm about to go into production so I still got 8 weeks before delivery and then I plan on driving the car for 2 months (minimum) before tuning.
I fear that true flash tunes won't be out by at least 18-24 months at the earliest. We'll see.
2021 G80 6MT sold
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 11:48 AM   #39
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

I think the right question here is, how much faster will the manual transmission cars be once the competition tune will become available on them... 😅 We all know that in proper hands the slush box cannot be faster than the manual. 😁
Appreciate 2
      04-13-2021, 04:46 PM   #40
V E E R
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M4 6MT, 2006 Z4MR

Quote:
Not exactly.
I disagree with all your thoughts on this car's power delivery. I have 2500 miles on my car already and the acceleration is pretty raw and there is without a doubt a sizeable shove into the seat. Dull is definitely not a word I would use and the car feels damn quick. Power shifting from 1st to second will spin the tires and I've even spun the rears from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe you should drive it like a man...

Previous: 06 AM V8Vantage 6MT, 2018 M2, 2018 Camaro SS 1LE, 2018 718 Cayman and a bunch of others...
Appreciate 4
      04-14-2021, 12:59 AM   #41
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by V E E R View Post
I disagree with all your thoughts on this car's power delivery. I have 2500 miles on my car already and the acceleration is pretty raw and there is without a doubt a sizeable shove into the seat. Dull is definitely not a word I would use and the car feels damn quick. Power shifting from 1st to second will spin the tires and I've even spun the rears from 2nd to 3rd. Maybe you should drive it like a man...
What exactly does it mean to 'drive like a man'? Slipping the tires from 2nd to 3rd? Does that make a car powerful? Omg
Maybe you're used to dull cars, drive (like a man, of course!) an M3 with S55 (or try the full power S58) and you'll understand the difference between a strong power delivery and a dull one, and what does it mean 'to be pushed into the seat'.
What you define 'a damn quick car' (and it is, of course) is slower than the predecessor and you clearly notice that. Only for real men tough.

SPOILER WARNING: Even a Miata slips the tires when you change gears 'like a man'.

Last edited by VIERsr; 04-14-2021 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 01:42 AM   #42
02M3ForMe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

VIERsr You’re the first person I’ve ever come across who complains about a flat torque curve. The G8x MT feels a bit weak in the lower RPM ranges (sub-3000), but it’s very strong at higher revs and pulls all the way to redline in a way the old S55 cars never quite did. The powerband is satisfyingly linear and feels surprisingly NA-like. I’m surprised that you’re underwhelmed with the 2nd/3rd gear full throttle redline experience, coming from an M2C. It’s quite a bit faster and definitely pushes you in the back. Definitely not what I would call a “boring” power delivery.
Appreciate 1
opielm88.00
      04-14-2021, 02:02 AM   #43
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
VIERsr You’re the first person I’ve ever come across who complains about a flat torque curve. The G8x MT feels a bit weak in the lower RPM ranges (sub-3000), but it’s very strong at higher revs and pulls all the way to redline in a way the old S55 cars never quite did. The powerband is satisfyingly linear and feels surprisingly NA-like. I’m surprised that you’re underwhelmed with the 2nd/3rd gear full throttle redline experience, coming from an M2C. It’s quite a bit faster and definitely pushes you in the back. Definitely not what I would call a “boring” power delivery.
Maybe you missed a point. Someone above asked if this car 'push you into the seat'. No, it doesn't, not for me when I drove it. And the claimed data prove it.
Acceleration 80-120 km/h in 4th/5th with manual transmission:
F80: 3.5s/4.2s
G80: 4.1s/5.6s
F87C: 3.3s/4s (<- smaller wheels, so slightly shorter gear ratios)

This means that if you accelerate to full throttle with the new M3 in 4th gear, you're as fast (or 'pushed in the seat') as the old M3 in 5th. Fast? Depends. Engaging? Well, not for me.
That's not to say the car is slow or bad to drive, it's great and the manual gearbox is amazing, but if you're looking for that kick in the ass of a turbo engine, you'll be disappointed with this detuned engine. Just as if you are looking for an endless top-end, well this is not an NA engine (just like the s55 obviously isn't or any other turbo engine).
But I don't think you buy this car for that, the purpose of the manual transmission is something else, just be aware of your purchase
Appreciate 2
CanAutM321121.00
KoenG1428.50
      04-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #44
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02M3ForMe View Post
You were in a thread a couple of days ago talking about how the G8x’s power delivery isn’t interesting because the torque curve “does nothing” (stays flat) from 3500-6000RPM. Reminder that constant torque as RPMs rise mean a linear and predictable increase in power as you go to redline.

Metrics for accelerating from 80km/h in 4th is of limited value in a car that does nearly 120km/h in 2nd. Yes, we know the S55 has noticeably more torque than the S58 below 3000RPM; that’s part of the problem when it comes to maintaining good behavior launching off the line. Yes, the S58 will penalize you more for being out of gear since it makes its power higher up, just like an NA car. Those numbers are completely irrelevant to whether the car “pushes you back in the seat” during an actual acceleration run where the RPMs are always above 3000. In those situations, the numbers flip the other way in favor of the G8x.

If you’re coming out of an S55 car and expect to be able to lazily punch it from 2000RPM and get the car moving semi-optimally will be disappointed. Sometimes I miss that character of my old F8x cars, but going to redline in the G8x is way more rewarding and exciting than doing the same in my old M4s, M3 CS, and M2Cs.
This is not what our friend asked for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
I'd like to know that as well. Can you do a fast 2nd gear pull from 30km/h until you hit 80-100 ? Will it push you into the seat ?
At 30 km/h in 2nd gear nothing you described happens.
FYI, at 30 km/h in 2nd the engine is not revving at 6000 rpm.
Appreciate 0