BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

05-04-2023, 06:14 PM   #1
Callen4827
Rep
Drives: BMW m3 competition x-drive

G82 Rear Diff error after steering wheel swap

I recently swapped my steering wheel on my G 82. It’s a 2023 model so only has 1600 miles on it. I had an issue where I broke one of the connectors that goes into the controls on the steering wheel so they’re non-functional right now. I have it disconnected. But now I started getting an error for the rear differential lock which says it’s limited. Does anybody know if there’s a fuse for this? If not, I think I’ll have to take it in for service just to have them look at it for this issue. By the way, I ordered the new part for the steering wheel but it’s gonna take 4 to 6 weeks to get here . I have looked at the few schematics, and cannot tell if there’s an actual fuse for the rear diff. If anybody has any insight as to where a fuse could potentially be located for the rear differential it would be greatly appreciated and very helpful, so I do not have to take it into the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:39 PM   #2
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callen4827 View Post
I recently swapped my steering wheel on my G 82. It’s a 2023 model so only has 1600 miles on it. I had an issue where I broke one of the connectors that goes into the controls on the steering wheel so they’re non-functional right now. I have it disconnected. But now I started getting an error for the rear differential lock which says it’s limited. Does anybody know if there’s a fuse for this? If not, I think I’ll have to take it in for service just to have them look at it for this issue. By the way, I ordered the new part for the steering wheel but it’s gonna take 4 to 6 weeks to get here . I have looked at the few schematics, and cannot tell if there’s an actual fuse for the rear diff. If anybody has any insight as to where a fuse could potentially be located for the rear differential it would be greatly appreciated and very helpful, so I do not have to take it into the shop.
Is this the connector you broke?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #3
Callen4827
Rep

No it was the one that plugs into the cruise control and volume controls unless that is the other end of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:51 PM   #4
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iviegatron View Post
Is this the connector you broke?
No it was the one that plugs into the cruise control and volume controls unless that is the other end of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I had a similar error when I broke that connector. I soldered the wires together. That button also affected the M1 and M2 buttons and a bunch of other stuff. Take a look at that connector and make sure it's okay.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
I had a similar error when I broke that connector. I soldered the wires together. That button also affected the M1 and M2 buttons and a bunch of other stuff. Take a look at that connector and make sure it's okay.
Maybe I should just unplug that connector. How did you get it resolved?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:06 PM   #7
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Maybe I should just unplug that connector. How did you get it resolved?
Leaving it unplugged will throw errors. The connector has two pins. I broke both pins and the housing. I soldered the pins back in place and did my best to put the broken housing back together. I got it to work, but I did order a set of new connectors to replace it with. Unfortunately my car got totalled over a week ago. So if you need that connector, let me know I have a set which I haven't used yet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:23 PM   #8
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
Leaving it unplugged will throw errors. The connector has two pins. I broke both pins and the housing. I soldered the pins back in place and did my best to put the broken housing back together. I got it to work, but I did order a set of new connectors to replace it with. Unfortunately my car got totalled over a week ago. So if you need that connector, let me know I have a set which I haven't used yet.
I think it’s the top right connector in your picture. That’s the issue. It’s the one that’s connected to the cruise control and volume controls. What does that plug? Do exactly that you’re showing me?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:24 PM   #9
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
C'mon guys have some pride and get these things fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:27 PM   #10
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think it’s the top right connector in your picture. That’s the issue. It’s the one that’s connected to the cruise control and volume controls. What does that plug? Do exactly that you’re showing me?
For me when that plug was broken, my M1 and M2 buttons stopped working and some of the safety features were disabled. If you have none of those symptoms then it's probably a different connection for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:28 PM   #11
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
For me when that plug was broken, my M1 and M2 buttons stopped working and some of the safety features were disabled. If you have none of those symptoms then it's probably a different connection for you.
I definitely have some of the safety features disabled in my M1 and M2 buttons are not working either so maybe I have both connectors as the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:29 PM   #12
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I definitely have some of the safety features disabled in my M1 and M2 buttons are not working either so maybe I have both connectors as the issue.
Do you have any pictures?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:32 PM   #13
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
Do you have any pictures?
No, but I’ll take some and post them tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:33 PM   #14
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
How much do you want for the plug you have? What area of the country are you located in?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:35 PM   #15
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
How much do you want for the plug you have? What area of the country are you located in?
I'm in Texas. Just pay for the shipping label and you can have them. I have a set I ordered from ebay as well which should be coming in.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:38 PM   #16
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
I'm in Texas. Just pay for the shipping label and you can have them. I have a set I ordered from ebay as well which should be coming in.
That sounds great. Let me check the plug tomorrow and I’ll get back with you. I really appreciate your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:40 PM   #17
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That sounds great. Let me check the plug tomorrow and I’ll get back with you. I really appreciate your help.
No problem man. Glad to help out where it's needed. Keep me posted. Just an FYI, the connector from ebay will be here on May 12th.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:53 PM   #18
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
No problem man. Glad to help out where it's needed. Keep me posted. Just an FYI, the connector from ebay will be here on May 12th.
Is it two of the same connectors or did you break another connector also? I’m sorry to hear you totaled your car what happened?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 07:58 PM   #19
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Is it two of the same connectors or did you break another connector also? I’m sorry to hear you totaled your car what happened?
It's just one connector. I broke it when trying to remove the airbag so I can replace the paddle shifters.

I hydroplaned during the rain and hit a barrier. Luckily no one was harmed or injured from the accident. Good thing is I just placed an order on a new M3 just yesterday. Can't wait!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:04 PM   #20
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
It's just one connector. I broke it when trying to remove the airbag so I can replace the paddle shifters.

I hydroplaned during the rain and hit a barrier. Luckily no one was harmed or injured from the accident. Good thing is I just placed an order on a new M3 just yesterday. Can't wait!
Awesome I’m glad nobody was hurt. What are the specs for the new car? Also, I remember one more system not working, the horn has no power. Was that one of your symptoms?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:08 PM   #21
iviegatron
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Awesome I’m glad nobody was hurt. What are the specs for the new car? Also, I remember one more system not working, the horn has no power. Was that one of your symptoms?
I never tested the horn. I only tested the M1 and M2 button. Once that stopped working I knew I had an issue.

Xdrive
Black wheels
Fiona red interior
Executive package
Parking assist package
Laser lights
M drive professional
Shadow line lights
Ventilated seats
Interior carbon fiber trim
Red brake calipers

I haven't listed the paint color since I was going to surprise my friends. I know they read these threads so being careful. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2023, 08:13 PM   #22
Callen4827
Rep

Quote:
I never tested the horn. I only tested the M1 and M2 button. Once that stopped working I knew I had an issue.

Xdrive
Black wheels
Fiona red interior
Executive package
Parking assist package
Laser lights
M drive professional
Shadow line lights
Ventilated seats
Interior carbon fiber trim
Red brake calipers

I haven't listed the paint color since I was going to surprise my friends. I know they read these threads so being careful. Haha.
The same specs, as my M4, exactly, including interior color, except my exterior is black sapphire. I’m sure it’ll look great once you get it.
Appreciate 0