12-17-2023, 10:25 AM   #1
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
"Performance" Mods

I’ve been lurking a bit in the forums as I plan what (if anything) I would want to change on my M3 to make it more enjoyable on the track. It seems a lot of the new releases I’ve seen lately are related to putting out more power or braking performance. I might be in the minority (and that’s okay), but I feel like my car has more than enough power for my skill level, and the braking performance has been great. Here are my thoughts on what I would like to improve on a car that I have very little complaints about:

Sound: I’ve swapped in the AA Equal Length midpipe and I’m in love with the sound. It’s made a big difference in the driving experience for me. I think if I were to ask for anything more, it would be more induction noise. I’ve been eyeing a few intakes, but I’m not 100% sure which direction I want to go yet.

Shifts: I have the automatic transmission and I do think it shifts well and my skill level is holding the car back (not the other way around). That being said, I think it would provide a little to experience to have better feel on the paddle shifters as well as an increase to overall shift speed. From what I can see, there isn’t much being done outside of tuning to try and improve the shifting on the automatic cars. I don’t honestly know if it’s even possible to mechanically speed this up on our platform, but I would definitely be interested in spending money to speed up shifts without making it too jerky and undrivable on the street.

RPMs: The only other thing I could think of that I would want to add to the driving experience is making the engine rev faster. Obviously, if I could magically move the redline to 10k that would be awesome, but without changing everything I understand that’s not possible. Once again, I probably don’t understand the mechanics behind it, but wouldn’t it be possible to come out with a lighter flywheel or something to make the engine rev faster? Maybe that would ruin the rest of the driving dynamics so no one has come out with a mod, but it’s something I think about from time to time.

Overall, I feel like I see so much development money being spent on adding power to this car, and it already feels overpowered to me. Maybe I don’t understand the mechanical side or maybe I’m the only one who cares about these other things. I’m just throwing this out there to get some perspective from other owners.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 04:27 PM   #2
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatThatLunchBaby View Post
RPMs: The only other thing I could think of that I would want to add to the driving experience is making the engine rev faster. Obviously, if I could magically move the redline to 10k that would be awesome, but without changing everything I understand that’s not possible. Once again, I probably don’t understand the mechanics behind it, but wouldn’t it be possible to come out with a lighter flywheel or something to make the engine rev faster? Maybe that would ruin the rest of the driving dynamics so no one has come out with a mod, but it’s something I think about from time to time.
Are you talking about revving faster with the engine unloaded (i.e., in park or neutral)? If so then a lighter flywheel might produce the results you're looking for. But, for the most part automatic transmission flywheels are already very light.

There is really only two ways to do what you're describing while under driving load... shorter gearing (you'll get to redline quicker given the same speed), or more torque (more power) to turn the crank faster and therefore accelerate faster. Since you don't want the latter, only the first will get you what you're after, but you'll also lose top end speed. I haven't heard of anybody changing their transmission or final drive gearing on our platform though. There's probably somebody doing it out there.

Edit: something could be said for a torque converter as well. But, with the lockup converters that modern cars have this might be less of an option for what you're asking though.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 08:43 AM   #3
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ml View Post
Are you talking about revving faster with the engine unloaded (i.e., in park or neutral)? If so then a lighter flywheel might produce the results you're looking for. But, for the most part automatic transmission flywheels are already very light.

There is really only two ways to do what you're describing while under driving load... shorter gearing (you'll get to redline quicker given the same speed), or more torque (more power) to turn the crank faster and therefore accelerate faster. Since you don't want the latter, only the first will get you what you're after, but you'll also lose top end speed. I haven't heard of anybody changing their transmission or final drive gearing on our platform though. There's probably somebody doing it out there.

Edit: something could be said for a torque converter as well. But, with the lockup converters that modern cars have this might be less of an option for what you're asking though.
This makes more sense now and I guess I’ve been thinking of it all wrong. Of course a shorter gear means getting to redline faster, but I didn’t think of torque as the main component in how quickly an engine can increase RPMs under load.

My knowledge is subpar here (obviously), but I had thought we could just make the engine components lighter so they could move “quicker” with the same amount of torque.

My mind immediately goes to what I’ve heard about other cars (i.e. Lexus LFA) that rev very quickly, but aren’t overloaded with huge amounts of power. It feels like I probably need to increase my understanding of engines in order to make sense of it all 😂🤪

Maybe it’s a mix or gearing changes, torque numbers, and lighter components that would produce the “LFA-like” experience I’m thinking of. Keep in mind this is all speculation since I’ve never actually driven that car or really anything like it. My mind is telling me it would be more enjoyable though 🤣
Appreciate 1
m4ml1834.00
      12-18-2023, 10:25 AM   #4
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

Shifts: I have the automatic transmission and I do think it shifts well and my skill level is holding the car back (not the other way around). That being said, I think it would provide a little to experience to have better feel on the paddle shifters as well as an increase to overall shift speed. From what I can see, there isn’t much being done outside of tuning to try and improve the shifting on the automatic cars. I don’t honestly know if it’s even possible to mechanically speed this up on our platform, but I would definitely be interested in spending money to speed up shifts without making it too jerky and undrivable on the street.
A lot of what you ask is covered in specific threads in the dedicated forums, however this one is pretty easy to answer.

There are two methods to speed up shifts. Having the M3 CS Trans software flashed:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1995541

And the XHP Trans software:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1921418

As for the paddles, your best bet to upgrade feel are magnetic paddles. There are two choices:

The Madtrace Carbon:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...fd25d12d&_ss=r

And the MAED Billet:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...ift-paddle-set

Both will give you a more positive action and a clicking sound upon pulling the paddle.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 11:32 AM   #5
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
A lot of what you ask is covered in specific threads in the dedicated forums, however this one is pretty easy to answer.

There are two methods to speed up shifts. Having the M3 CS Trans software flashed:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1995541

And the XHP Trans software:

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1921418

As for the paddles, your best bet to upgrade feel are magnetic paddles. There are two choices:

The Madtrace Carbon:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...fd25d12d&_ss=r

And the MAED Billet:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...ift-paddle-set

Both will give you a more positive action and a clicking sound upon pulling the paddle.
I have kept my eye on these threads and I appreciate the info as well. I’ve debated doing the CS flash, but I’m afraid it would just make the shifts more “aggressive” and not provide what I’m exactly looking for. Ideally, I’d like to retain the efficient mode smoothness, but add responsiveness to the S3 setting without causing it to become too “jerky”. I want to be able to shift quickly on track without upsetting the car too much.

Once again I want to reiterate that it’s totally possible my skill level is the problem and not the car!

The paddle feel seems to be easy to solve and there is a lot of good feedback on our options. My concern is to make the paddles feel great only to make the shifts feel even slower. I’ll bookmark these threads though so thanks again for the input!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 01:21 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I have kept my eye on these threads and I appreciate the info as well. I’ve debated doing the CS flash, but I’m afraid it would just make the shifts more “aggressive” and not provide what I’m exactly looking for. Ideally, I’d like to retain the efficient mode smoothness, but add responsiveness to the S3 setting without causing it to become too “jerky”. I want to be able to shift quickly on track without upsetting the car too much.

Once again I want to reiterate that it’s totally possible my skill level is the problem and not the car!

The paddle feel seems to be easy to solve and there is a lot of good feedback on our options. My concern is to make the paddles feel great only to make the shifts feel even slower. I’ll bookmark these threads though so thanks again for the input!
Well, I just booked my break in service and the CS flash will be done within a week of that, lol. So I'll let you know.
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2023, 03:56 PM   #7
m4ml
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4CX BSM (Xpel Stealth)

Quote:
This makes more sense now and I guess I’ve been thinking of it all wrong. Of course a shorter gear means getting to redline faster, but I didn’t think of torque as the main component in how quickly an engine can increase RPMs under load.

My knowledge is subpar here (obviously), but I had thought we could just make the engine components lighter so they could move “quicker” with the same amount of torque.

My mind immediately goes to what I’ve heard about other cars (i.e. Lexus LFA) that rev very quickly, but aren’t overloaded with huge amounts of power. It feels like I probably need to increase my understanding of engines in order to make sense of it all 😂🤪

Maybe it’s a mix or gearing changes, torque numbers, and lighter components that would produce the “LFA-like” experience I’m thinking of. Keep in mind this is all speculation since I’ve never actually driven that car or really anything like it. My mind is telling me it would be more enjoyable though 🤣
Don't get me wrong, lighter rotational mass can improve the engine's rate of acceleration (increase in RPMs), but once you put that rotational torque up against a 4,000 lb. car I doubt you'd notice it.

In an F1 car though, with 850 HP (without hybrid assist) that weighs less than 2,000 lbs. it makes a difference.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2023, 07:30 AM   #8
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I just booked my break in service and the CS flash will be done within a week of that, lol. So I'll let you know.
Please update with feedback on how it changes the transmission, I’d love to get your thoughts on how it compares to stock!
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6599.00
      12-21-2023, 06:44 AM   #9
Hit_Apex
Riding the knock sensor
Rep
Drives: 21 X5MC | 23 M4CSL

Garage List
2021 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
Jerkiness reported on S3 CSL tune are people using this setting on the street for normal driving. Short shifting or any shifting that occurs less then 80% throttle or lower RPM (<5500) will feel jerky. If shifts feel jerky you are not in the best setting for the driving you are doing. S3 in my CSL is amazing on track, there is no upsetting of the car as upshifts always occur at high RPM and 80-100% throttle. On the street S2 is the perfect setting for me - I only use S3 if doing a WOT blast like 1/4 mile or 60-130 run. It sounds like you need to learn the car better before projecting assumptions.
      12-21-2023, 12:39 PM   #10
EatThatLunchBaby
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex View Post
Jerkiness reported on S3 CSL tune are people using this setting on the street for normal driving. Short shifting or any shifting that occurs less then 80% throttle or lower RPM (<5500) will feel jerky. If shifts feel jerky you are not in the best setting for the driving you are doing. S3 in my CSL is amazing on track, there is no upsetting of the car as upshifts always occur at high RPM and 80-100% throttle. On the street S2 is the perfect setting for me - I only use S3 if doing a WOT blast like 1/4 mile or 60-130 run. It sounds like you need to learn the car better before projecting assumptions.
I completely agree that I’m stilling learning the car as well as honing my performance driving skills. I appreciate the input here as well although I’m not talking about street driving.

Getting the shift points down will be key to not upsetting the car. I wasn’t sure if increasing shift speeds caused more feedback from the transmission or not. The S3 shifts are quick enough, but I still do notice a slight lag on track. It would definitely be something I would want to put money into as I become a better driver
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2024, 12:23 PM   #11
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Will the dealer do this for you and cover under warranty or are you sending your TCM off somewhere?
      01-14-2024, 10:23 PM   #12
Dirtbikerr450
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3, G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Will the dealer do this for you and cover under warranty or are you sending your TCM off somewhere?
Dealer won't do it for you.

Here's the website I used for the cs transmission tune. https://bimmer-remote.com/products/c...-m3-m4-g80-g82
Appreciate 1
ChrisM41624.50