BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

07-18-2023, 01:47 PM   #23
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
This is untrue. There's two variants of the iDrive 8 system, Linux-based w/ an Intel Atom CPU, and Android-based w/ Qualcomm Snapdragons (newer).

Current iDrive 8 systems are all Intel Atom CPUs and BMW has said that the plan is to upgrade those to iDrive 9 when it's ready. Android-based w/ Snapdragons systems will be released with iDrive 8.5 and then upgraded to iDrive 9 in the future.

It will probably take a long time, but our iDrive 8 systems have been told that they will not be left behind.
Do you have a link? Can’t find anything that supports that bmw plans to backport the new android-based system to the old linux-based models and actually everything I can see that was publicly stated is saying the opposite. It seems super unlikely to me, especially given their track record, that they are going to spend resources doing this.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:02 PM   #24
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Interesting. Can you show me where this is discussed?
Agreed. This is the literal opposite of every single thing I've ever read on this subject.

The only reason iDrive 8.5 even exists in the first place is so that they can put a UI similar to iDrive 9 on the same underlying OS and similar hardware to the existing iDrive 8.

If existing hardware could be upgraded to iDrive 9, 8.5 would never have been created, as it's just a waste of development resources.

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #25
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. Can you show me where this is discussed?

11m 30s in, and I had it backwards. Linux is getting 8.5, the newer stuff is getting 9 (which makes a bit more sense, I had it in my head it was the other way at first) eventually (releasing on 8.5 initially). So, it sounds like we will be getting 8.5 at some point.

Last edited by Berzerker; 07-18-2023 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #26
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedshift View Post
I am trying to decide between Brooklyn Grey, Dravit, and Skyscraper Grey for the exterior.

Definitely doing Parking Package, Drive Recorder, Extended Shadowline, and Ventilated Seats. Black basic interior seat color, basic dash option, and the standard grey wheels thus far. Probably blue calipers.
Dravit. I've owned cars in BG and SG, and they are kind of meh compared with Dravit.

HUD is mandatory, IMHO, so add Executive to that list. Ventilated seats are crap, not worth any extra money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeedshift View Post
Less tech so less software issues to potentially go wrong down the line?
Software doesn't age. It's the hardware that craps out.

Quote:
I don't agree on the CF resin aging as long as it's stored in a non-UV-intense environment (garage).
I'm not so concerned with the resin fading, as I am with problems that have popped up in earlier (E90, F80) chassis where the CF clear on the roof is delaminating. Even if they fixed those issues, you're still going to get rock chips in the roof, and that will cause failure.

For a long-term (10+ years) car, I'd skip the CF roof.

I love my G82, but I was thinking just today that probably in 2025 I'll need to order the last "real" manual 100% ICE M car, and so I'll get it in AR with full leather and bi-color wheels, but probably not much else (executive, natch).
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:40 PM   #27
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEuG4nHiW8&pp=ygUKaWRyaXZlIDguNQ%3D%3D [ /url]

11m 30s in, and I had it backwards. Linux is getting 8.5, the newer stuff is getting 9 (which makes a bit more sense, I had it in my head it was the other way at first) eventually (releasing on 8.5 initially). So, it sounds like we will be getting 8.5 at some point.
we aren't, because they later stated that the head unit requirement for 8.5 is HU5 and we have HU4. So as i said originally, we are getting nothing.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 02:48 PM   #28
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
we aren't, because they later stated that the head unit requirement for 8.5 is HU5 and we have HU4. So as i said originally, we are getting nothing.
Where is it shown that we have HU4 and not HU4+ or HU5? There's no difference visually and it doesn't make sense they'd start with an old unit or that we wouldn't at least get HU4+ with 2024 being the first model that gets iD8 for the M4.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:02 PM   #29
chris3g
Major
Rep

Quote:
Where is it shown that we have HU4 and not HU4+ or HU5? There's no difference visually and it doesn't make sense they'd start with an old unit or that we wouldn't at least get HU4+ with 2024 being the first model that gets iD8 for the M4.
The G80 has had ID8 since MY23 meaning mid 2022 production. You can verify the headunit in the parts catalog. Since the 2024 parts catalog is not available yet (at least not to me) i can't say with 100% certainty that the G82 ID8 doesn't have a different HU, but being that the G82 is getting the same changes that were implemented in the G80 a year prior, it is very unlikely they are putting a new HU in. On top of that, BMW has already given the list of models that are scheduled to receive 8.5 and G20/G8x are not on the list.

Obviously i wish we were getting it but everything points to not happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:06 PM   #30
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
The G80 has had ID8 since MY23 meaning mid 2022 production. You can verify the headunit in the parts catalog. Since the 2024 parts catalog is not available yet (at least not to me) i can't say with 100% certainty that the G82 ID8 doesn't have a different HU, but being that the G82 is getting the same changes that were implemented in the G80 a year prior, it is very unlikely they are putting a new HU in. On top of that, BMW has already given the list of models that are scheduled to receive 8.5 and G20/G8x are not on the list.

Obviously i wish we were getting it but everything points to not happening.
Makes sense they'd be using similar units, but I would have expected it to be as easy as fitting the G82/83 w/ iD8 if they were truly the same, but it also would be a bit sucky to only have the 82/83 compatible and not the 80/81.

I'll have to check my MY24 G83 when I get it lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:48 PM   #31
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
I'm not sure how Porsche does it but I've seen multiple F80/82s with CF that look completely fine. It's all about UV protection. Garage + ceramic coating will do wonders for long term look.
Agree.
There is no UV in the garage if you have windows that filter it. It should look good as the day it was born unless it is your daily. In that case ppf it.

Guy is crazy, he basically said to make the car as basic as you can. Where is the fun in that?

Also, this whole idea of future proofing a car is dumb. What does that even mean?

If you gotta future proof this car for 10yrs, don’t even buy it. You can’t afford it. In 10 yrs you, I, all of us could be dead. Who cares about future proofing a car?

The correct way to buy this or any luxury car (or any car for that matter) is to buy it with the options you want, ignore the price, realize you are on a path to death regardless, and enjoy it responsibly for 5-7 years.

Then you sell it with relatively low mileage for 3/4 what you paid (or more if you really didn’t drive it that much, or maybe even more if Joe Biden is elected again and inflation is double what it is now)… and you buy the next great thing.

That way, you are allowing someone else to enjoy your beautiful vehicle at a later date, for a price they can afford, and you are getting the next latest greatest toy.

Future proofing cars?
Doesn’t even make sense.

How do I eat cake healthily?
What is the fuckin point?
Just eat the cake.

ID 8, ID 8.5, ID 9… who da fuck cares man.
It’s literally just for turning on your friggin AC, and you already don’t even need to touch the damn thing.

This is just my opinion, but I don’t get you guys who obsess over that shit. Do you really ever look at the darn screen anyway?

I never look at the thing except to change the radio station from Sirius XM to sometimes my iPhone, and it works flawlessly already.

I’m going to give you the best advice you never asked for. Delete that part of your operating system that checks for updates and never think about it again.

Carpe Diem

We will all probably have new cars in 5-7yrs anyway. If you are keeping this baby forever, it’s going to be a classic no matter what. ICE powertrains are already a thing of the past.

In 20yrs it will not matter what version of IDGAF Drive you have, and frankly it doesn’t matter now. They all work well.
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2023, 04:21 PM   #32
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyline408 View Post
I would not do full leather either.. heck, if they had the carbon structure interior like they did with the F80, I would have gotten that!

I had full leather on my 911, and M5, and most recently on the F95 X5M. The dash on the 911 and M5 started to wrinkle, as well as random spots. On my X5M which was only a year old had some issues as well, and everything being full leather meant that you had to be extra careful - a tiny scuff will damage the leather, unlike soft touch plastic which is a lot more durable.

Day 1 on my X5M, I had a tiny fingernail scrape on the upper door card and it drive me nuts because it was within my line of sight everytime I looked left. Had it been just soft touch plastic, a finger nail scrape wouldn't have damaged the panel.
Is there anything you can do to maintain full leather? Ceramic coating on the leather dash and everywhere else? Full leather looks so nice when new. It sure would be nice to keep it that way.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 04:28 PM   #33
mcsquared
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 SSG G80 6m/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwd View Post
Is there anything you can do to maintain full leather? Ceramic coating on the leather dash and everywhere else? Full leather looks so nice when new. It sure would be nice to keep it that way.
I’ve been thinking about this too, since I ordered the full leather option. I figure if you use the correct leather cleaner/conditioner, as with the seats and other leather surfaces, would the dash and upper door cards not hold up the same way? I suspect that should be the case, but, I’ll defer to people that have multiple years under their belts with a full leather option.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:23 PM   #34
thebigcheese
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

CS 😄
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 05:32 PM   #35
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
I’ve been thinking about this too, since I ordered the full leather option. I figure if you use the correct leather cleaner/conditioner, as with the seats and other leather surfaces, would the dash and upper door cards not hold up the same way? I suspect that should be the case, but, I’ll defer to people that have multiple years under their belts with a full leather option.
Yes, you can. Just use good products. Leather Masters, Colourlock, Leatherique. Keep it clean with damp cloth or very mild detergent and regularly keep it moisturized so it doesn't dry out, shrink or crack.

My current Cayenne is about to turn 10. The dash shrunk, a common Porsche problem I learned. I was worried about the seats and didn't moisturize it enough. Probably should have used a sunshade as well.

But the seats look better than some 3 year old cars I've seen, and it has almost 125k on it. And it's a pretty light brown color, which could be prone to dirt.
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      07-18-2023, 06:10 PM   #36
spaceage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X6MC, 22 M3, 01 Z3 3.0

Quote:
Yes, you can. Just use good products. Leather Masters, Colourlock, Leatherique. Keep it clean with damp cloth or very mild detergent and regularly keep it moisturized so it doesn't dry out, shrink or crack.

My current Cayenne is about to turn 10. The dash shrunk, a common Porsche problem I learned. I was worried about the seats and didn't moisturize it enough. Probably should have used a sunshade as well.

But the seats look better than some 3 year old cars I've seen, and it has almost 125k on it. And it's a pretty light brown color, which could be prone to dirt.
Also use a product like Griots 3 in 1 to keep it clean and moisturized.

I find that will remove/blend most minor scratches that occur, but if not, Colourlock has excellent products for touching up leather interior blemishes.

I've had 3 full leather cars in recent years, and to me its hands down way nicer than extended.
Appreciate 1
bmwdrive464.00
      07-18-2023, 06:44 PM   #37
TopJimmy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Comp xDrive

Think about your market and typical customer base for what you ask. A buyer of a couple year old M with every option could also afford a new M or a custom order, depending on their patience level.

What would a sports car enthusiast appreciate but not require?
-G8x Comp X-drive appeals to more people, same with Auto trans over Manual
-Custom colors have no resale add, so pick a color easy to maintain
-Well kept leather is necessary, but full leather is not a big plus for me since scrapes are more common in those areas
-Executive pack…necessary for resale
-Laser lights…very desirable, even at $1K
-Carbon interior for the shift paddles…add
-Park Assist Plus for the bird’s eye parking view for $700 and Drive Recorder for another $100…add
-Ventilated seats for $350…add
-Most sport-focused customers want the carbon top, not the sunroof

Things I skip:
Carbon exterior…easy to add aftermarket, and cheaper
Auto driving, or radar cruise…minor convenience to people who like to drive
M-drive pro…$900? And I only would use the variable TC feature, but at resale others would think I used the car for drifting
Carbon brakes, for $8500 you can buy nice racing brakes, and have $2K left over
M-drivers pack…$2500 to raise the top speed, and tell the next owner I tracked the car, nope
Most owners will pick their own wheels/tires and exhaust, so stick to stock

Just my $0.02
      07-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #38
M4nication
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DO444 View Post
Agree.
There is no UV in the garage if you have windows that filter it. It should look good as the day it was born unless it is your daily. In that case ppf it.

Guy is crazy, he basically said to make the car as basic as you can. Where is the fun in that?

Also, this whole idea of future proofing a car is dumb. What does that even mean?

If you gotta future proof this car for 10yrs, don’t even buy it. You can’t afford it. In 10 yrs you, I, all of us could be dead. Who cares about future proofing a car?

The correct way to buy this or any luxury car (or any car for that matter) is to buy it with the options you want, ignore the price, realize you are on a path to death regardless, and enjoy it responsibly for 5-7 years.

Then you sell it with relatively low mileage for 3/4 what you paid (or more if you really didn’t drive it that much, or maybe even more if Joe Biden is elected again and inflation is double what it is now)… and you buy the next great thing.

That way, you are allowing someone else to enjoy your beautiful vehicle at a later date, for a price they can afford, and you are getting the next latest greatest toy.

Future proofing cars?
Doesn’t even make sense.

How do I eat cake healthily?
What is the fuckin point?
Just eat the cake.

ID 8, ID 8.5, ID 9… who da fuck cares man.
It’s literally just for turning on your friggin AC, and you already don’t even need to touch the damn thing.

This is just my opinion, but I don’t get you guys who obsess over that shit. Do you really ever look at the darn screen anyway?

I never look at the thing except to change [...]
This is the take I agree with 100%.

If you are trying to future proof a BMW, you can't afford it. When you're in an income bracket to spend this kind of money, you should also have the money to option it how you like, and afford to fix any problems that could happen in the years down the road.

Another thing, none of the options other than the CCBs will really change how reliable the car is (or isn't) because the stuff that you CAN'T change on the builder, like the suspension, transmission, engine, etc are the ones that will possibly fail after 10 years. Not your ID8, HUD, leather dash, etc. So if you can't afford or simply don't want to have to worry or pay to fix things like an OS, you absolutely should NOT buy a BMW, because the things that are more likely to break, are far more expensive to fix.

That being said, if you just simply want your car to be as simple as possible, because that's what you like, then that's totally okay. But again I'll suggest this isn't the car for you. It's a brand-new top of the line German luxury car. Even at its base it's loaded with features. You might want something older with less tech if that's your thing.

Finally, if you have decided that you want a G8X car for any reason at all, build it how you want. Don't worry about if the HUD will break in 10 years. Get it in the color YOU want. Drive the wheels off it. Enjoy it in the now. Love it now. Make it as fun and as feature rich as you can (budget permitting of course). Tomorrow is never guaranteed. Not for any of us.

This topic kinda reminds me of the saying of "not fucking your girlfriend to save her for the next guy"
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      07-18-2023, 07:40 PM   #39
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopJimmy View Post
Think about your market and typical customer base for what you ask. A buyer of a couple year old M with every option could also afford a new M or a custom order, depending on their patience level.

What would a sports car enthusiast appreciate but not require?
-G8x Comp X-drive appeals to more people, same with Auto trans over Manual
-Custom colors have no resale add, so pick a color easy to maintain
-Well kept leather is necessary, but full leather is not a big plus for me since scrapes are more common in those areas
-Executive pack…necessary for resale
-Laser lights…very desirable, even at $1K
-Carbon interior for the shift paddles…add
-Park Assist Plus for the bird’s eye parking view for $700 and Drive Recorder for another $100…add
-Ventilated seats for $350…add
-Most sport-focused customers want the carbon top, not the sunroof

Things I skip:
Carbon exterior…easy to add aftermarket, and cheaper
Auto driving, or radar cruise…minor convenience to people who like to drive
M-drive pro…$900? And I only would use the variable TC feature, but at resale others would think I used the car for drifting
Carbon brakes, for $8500 you can buy nice racing brakes, and have $2K left over
M-drivers pack…$2500 to raise the top speed, and tell the next owner I tracked the car, nope
Most owners will pick their own wheels/tires and exhaust, so stick to stock

Just my $0.02
I don't see the point of leaving out cheap ($1700 out of $100k is pretty cheap) packages if the point is trying to "future proof" the car. Even if you wanted it once, it's going to be super disappointing that you don't have it. You call it a minor convenience, but the system is a godsend in heavy traffic, which I'm in quote often for the commutes.

As for the M-Drivers pack...anyone who's buying this aftermarket *not* assuming you're tracking a literal track-focused car...lol I feel bad for them. The fact that you didn't actually track is just a bonus.
Appreciate 1
DO4441408.50
      07-19-2023, 07:24 AM   #40
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

My take on "future proof":

Spec the car so that it isn't missing anything that you'll actually use regularly. If you constantly find yourself missing something (cameras, vent seats...whatever), you aren't as likely to want to keep it long term, even if it could be basically reliable for 10 years.

Electronic gadgets could fail, and if you own a car for 10 years SOMETHING will very likely break at some point. Entropy always wins. But most of these electronic bits are mature technology now and less likely to have a problem than similar items were when they were new and novel. The HUD isn't guaranteed to fail after X years. The screens can absolutely last that long, though any particular example may not. The only way to be sure is to buy it, keep it, and find out.

Resale value and keeping it for 10 years also seems like two concepts that are mutually exclusive, especially if you daily it for 10 years. Drive it, enjoy it, you'll get whatever you get for it after 10 years.
Appreciate 2
DO4441408.50
LuckyBrand1317.00
      07-19-2023, 08:17 AM   #41
86zccrx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3

Quote:

If you look at this post with the official bulletin, it looks like we won't get 8.5. It's possible that M3's built after June may be compatible, but considering the LCI is next year that could be the date for when they change the head unit to a model that supports 8.5.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029776
Appreciate 1
Xtabi1701.50
      07-19-2023, 08:28 AM   #42
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86zccrx View Post
If you look at this post with the official bulletin, it looks like we won't get 8.5. It's possible that M3's built after June may be compatible, but considering the LCI is next year that could be the date for when they change the head unit to a model that supports 8.5.

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029776
It's likely they're not, but it'll depend on what HU version we're on. Not sure if anyone has actually gotten their MY24 yet but one can go in and check what HU version we're on. If we have HU4+ or HU5 we'd be compatible. The bulletins from BMW always end with "more models to be added" but it's always nebulous as to which ones or why they pick those.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:04 AM   #43
pateke
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cx ('24), X3 30e ('22)

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
2021 BMW M440i  [10.00]
I “future proofed” by adding everything, except sunroof, CCB and buckets on my G82.

Waiting for a production slot, and might add buckets in the end.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 10:11 AM   #44
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

The best way to future-proof your car is to buy it, and then never drive another car again. You won't know what you're missing.

When you're ready for a new car, your test drive in the 7000 lb 2034 M3 will be amazing.
Appreciate 2