home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-06-2024, 06:49 PM   #1
mkluge84
Rep
Drives: G80 m3

Angry Review: Boost Logic - Formula Series Titanium Exhaust

Good evening, G80 M3 forum members,

I recently embarked on a journey with the Boost Logic titanium exhaust system for my G80 M3, driven by the company's reputation for high-end builds including Skylines, Lamborghinis, and R8s. Anticipating an exhaust system of unparalleled quality and opting for installation by Boost Logic themselves, I drove from Dallas to Austin, Texas, for what I hoped would be a seamless experience. It's important to note, for context, that I have since removed the Boost Logic system and returned to the factory setup.

Sound:
Cold Start: The initial cold start was shockingly loud, causing vibrations inside my home and undoubtedly waking the neighbors. While I expected an increase in volume, the sheer intensity was beyond what I deemed reasonable, signaling a potential issue for daily use.

Valves Closed: With the valves closed, I anticipated a significant reduction in sound, mirroring the adaptability of the stock system. Unfortunately, the Boost Logic system maintained a high decibel level, diminishing the practicality of the valve feature and offering little reprieve from the constant loudness.

Drone: The drone at highway speeds was not just noticeable but overwhelmingly unpleasant, casting a shadow over the driving experience. This constant, monotonous sound, especially between 60-80mph, detracted significantly from the comfort of longer journeys.

Rattles: Beyond the drone, the system introduced a worrying amount of rattling, both internally and externally. This wasn't just a minor annoyance but a concern for the vehicle's wellbeing, suggesting a potential compromise to its structural integrity over time.

WOT & Burbles: It wasn't all negative, however. At wide open throttle, the system truly came to life, delivering a thrilling auditory experience that matched the exhilarating performance of the M3. The burbles were particularly aggressive and enjoyable, catering well to enthusiasts of this characteristic sound.

-------------------------------------

Quality & Fitment:
Quality: The craftsmanship of the Boost Logic system is undeniably beautiful, with welds that speak to a high level of skill and attention to detail. As an object of art, it merits admiration and showcases the potential of titanium as a premium material for exhaust systems.

Fitment: Despite the high-quality craftsmanship, the fitment presented significant issues. Alarmingly, the exhaust sat extremely low to the ground, at points only 4"-4.5" off the surface, posing a risk to the system itself given its $6,000+ price tag. Additionally, the necessity to modify the heat shielding for proper installation—unbeknownst to me until after the sale—was disappointing and raised questions about the system's design consideration for the G80 M3's specifics.

Boost Logic Installation:
Choosing Boost Logic for the installation was based on trust in their expertise. While the install took the entirety of the day, which I initially believed was a sign of thoroughness, the discovery of uneven exhaust tips upon returning home was disheartening. This, along with the later revelation of improper gasket use and excessive RTV application, further tainted my experience, suggesting a disconnect between the craftsmanship of the product and the quality of the installation service.

This review is not intended to disparage Boost Logic but to share my honest experience with their titanium exhaust system and installation service. The journey has been both costly and enlightening, and I hope my insights help others make informed decisions.

Here's the short clip showcasing the system at WOT, for those interested in the auditory experience it offers.
Note on the Exhaust Clip Video:
Please be aware that the audio for this clip was carefully recorded with a microphone placed near the muffler and another in the engine bay. This setup was chosen to provide a more accurate depiction of what you can expect to hear, both from the exhaust's exterior performance and the engine's response. We hope this gives you a clearer understanding of the Boost Logic titanium exhaust system's sound characteristics.

G80 M3 Boost Logic Exhaust System

Should you have any questions or wish for further details, feel free to reach out or comment below. Your informed choice is my primary goal in sharing this review.
Appreciate 3
      02-06-2024, 07:51 PM   #2
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkluge84 View Post
along with the later revelation of improper gasket use and excessive RTV application
Where did they put rtv?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 06:52 AM   #3
Schulminator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG G80 Xdrive

The only issue I share with you is the drone at cruising speeds. I have no abnormal rattling or vibrations. The system did take some time to get all the pieces aligned correctly and the tips sitting the way I like them. I will be exploring some titanium resonator options to help calm the drone down a bit. I also have my cold start disabled, I could imagine this system would be extremely loud on cold start.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 10:15 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 11:32 AM   #5
mkluge84
Rep
Drives: G80 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcefed View Post
Where did they put rtv?
At each connection point of the exhaust =O
Appreciate 1
forcefed2567.00
      02-07-2024, 11:45 AM   #6
forcefed
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkluge84 View Post
At each connection point of the exhaust =O
Lol that's pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:13 PM   #7
Fugazii
Captain
Rep
Drives: G82/2022

Are you selling it I can deal with all the above lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:38 PM   #8
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Doesn't sound better than single midpipe with downpipes paired together. Not saying it doesn't sound good but in my opinion it's not better than much cheaper options.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:46 PM   #9
Schulminator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 SSG G80 Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50shadesofhockenheim View Post
Doesn't sound better than single midpipe with downpipes paired together. Not saying it doesn't sound good but in my opinion it's not better than much cheaper options.
Sounds wayyyy better than my previous AA EL mid and axle back.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:50 PM   #10
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulminator View Post
Sounds wayyyy better than my previous AA EL mid and axle back.
Any sound clips you can share?

Here is a video of my setup:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/yLRc5qw-0To
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2024, 06:18 PM   #11
Valvetronic Designs
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3

If you want titanium this is the wave! Sorry to hear that your experience was less than expected

https://youtu.be/HeLwrfLw7E0?si=zgDlkg2M7hhqGYvH
Appreciate 0