home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-15-2024, 10:54 AM   #1
Bxss
Minor General
Rep
Drives: G80

Resonated Vs. Catted Downpipe

Hey guys, fairly new to modding so Im wondering if you fellows can answer a question of mine! A lot of people have been praising MAD's quality work for the price. I want to get downpipes for the sound and performance but I dont want to deal with the catless smell.

Thankfully, MAD offers both resonated and catted downpipes but im not sure what the difference is? What does resonated do and will it also eliminate/help that smell?

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s58-catte...-flex-section/
https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-m2c-m3-m4...-flex-section/

Thanks for all the help and sorry for sounding like a noob.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:11 AM   #2
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Resonated will just help reduce some of the higher pitched rasp. It will do nothing for smell or emissions.

Catted will still be an increase in sound over stock but not as loud as catless. Depending on the cats you will probably trip a CEL.
      02-15-2024, 11:14 AM   #3
Bxss
Minor General
Rep
Drives: G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfCoyote View Post
Resonated will just help reduce some of the higher pitched rasp. It will do nothing for smell or emissions.

Catted will still be an increase in sound over stock but not as loud as catless. Depending on the cats you will probably trip a CEL.
Thanks for the info, do you think that the Catless smell on the g80s are bad? i know it all relative but just curious. I’m planning on installing the O2 Sensor on catted down pipes
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 11:17 AM   #4
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxss View Post
Thanks for the info, do you think that the Catless smell on the g80s are bad? i know it all relative but just curious. I’m planning on installing the O2 Sensor on catted down pipes
I wouldn’t go catless personally, the noise and smell would annoy me. I’ve never been around a catless G80 but my MK7 GTi is catless and that smell definitely gets old.

I also wouldn’t even bother with down pipes unless you’re tuning the car. If you’re just looking for noise get a midpipe.
Needsdecaf6606.00
Bxss85.00
      02-15-2024, 11:27 AM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
I wouldn’t go catless personally, the noise and smell would annoy me. I’ve never been around a catless G80 but my MK7 GTi is catless and that smell definitely gets old.

I also wouldn’t even bother with down pipes unless you’re tuning the car. If you’re just looking for noise get a midpipe.
THIS. I feel like it's some automatic reaction that people are like "oh, I gotta swap downpipes and perhaps delete the cats" when they aren't tuning, and don't really have any reason to. Just like "you gotta do it" lore.

This car has plenty of potential even on stock DP's and a light tune like a piggyback. Just switch out the midpipe to eliminate the secondary cat and resonators.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 11:49 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:

+1

the downpipes (catless or catted) make a big difference soundwise but you must deal with the check engine light if you are not tuned.

The midpipe is the better choice

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 12:21 PM   #7
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

I don't personally think the smell is that bad especially if you are leaving the stock midpipe which has a cat.

Resonated downpipe - Reduces rasp

Catted Downpipe - Reduces smell, volume and rasp.

Here is a video of a catless downpipe and stock and exhaust along with a catted and stock exhaust.

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 09:10 AM   #8
yoandry
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX & X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bxss View Post
Hey guys, fairly new to modding so Im wondering if you fellows can answer a question of mine! A lot of people have been praising MAD's quality work for the price. I want to get downpipes for the sound and performance but I dont want to deal with the catless smell.

Thankfully, MAD offers both resonated and catted downpipes but im not sure what the difference is? What does resonated do and will it also eliminate/help that smell?

https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-s58-catte...-flex-section/
https://mad-us.com/mad-bmw-m2c-m3-m4...-flex-section/

Thanks for all the help and sorry for sounding like a noob.
I ordered the resonated one and waiting on delivery. Keep an eye for more updates/video on this.
I was bettween those 2 and my main concer was, CEL and RASP. As a lot of people has been reported the CEL with the Catted one, I then give it a shot to the resonated one as I needed to do the o2 spacers either way. The good think also is that the resonated is chepear and if you dont like it or is too much smell/noice then can order the catted.
Keep in mind that if you go catted, then you need to try the 02 spacers without the mini cat inside.

Quote:

I currenttly have resonated midpipe, and while the sound is better than stock, its not enough IMO.

02-16-2024, 09:17 AM   #9
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
I currenttly have resonated midpipe, and while the sound is better than stock, its not enough IMO.

You’re 100% going to have rasp going with a catless downpipe and midpipe.

Valve controller or an axle back would been better sounding options in my humble opinion.
      02-16-2024, 09:29 AM   #10
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You’re 100% going to have rasp going with a catless downpipe and midpipe.

Valve controller or an axle back would been better sounding options in my humble opinion.
Dont confuse catless with resonated catless. And my video is with resonated midpipe also and valves fully open manually.
      02-16-2024, 09:47 AM   #11
GolfCoyote
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dont confuse catless with resonated catless. And my video is with resonated midpipe also and valves fully open manually.
“Resonated catless” and catless are the same thing, one has a resonator that, while it helps, isn’t going to do as much as I think you think it is.

For example, I went from a catted downpipe with cat back exhaust on my GTI to a catless resonated downpipe with the stock exhaust. The volume is slightly lower but the tone is higher and a tad raspy. The catalyst is like a sponge that absorbs a lot of that higher pitched rasp, a resonator is a straight through piece of pipe with some perforation on the sides to create an acoustic chamber.

Every car I’ve ever removed the cats on has increased the raspiness.

You do you though
      02-16-2024, 10:13 AM   #12
yoandry
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
“Resonated catless” and catless are the same thing, one has a resonator that, while it helps, isn’t going to do as much as I think you think it is.
No cats, ofcourse it will increase everything, and i know how resonator work. This is not my first rodeo with bmws, and I installed DPs on all of them.
Also not everyone has the same sensitive on raspiness levels, and ofcourse I dont want to much rasp, but when is too much is where all the fun is.
For me as i dont care about the smell, going to be tune later and both MAD DPs tripping the cel, then i went the cheaper route first. We will see the dfifference once i installed and upload a vid. If doest work for me, then I buy a catted one and so on.

Here is my X5 m50i that I went with a bunch of exhaust testing.

02-16-2024, 01:08 PM   #13
christianb5s4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Built 2001 Audi S4

Quote:
I currently have resonated midpipe, and while the sound is better than stock, its not enough IMO.
Agreed, but even just a single resonated mid wakes up the car significantly. And the better pick IMO if downpipes are in the future.
      02-16-2024, 02:41 PM   #14
Info@mad-us.com
Rep

Drives: bmw

Quote:

For example, I went from a catted downpipe with cat back exhaust on my GTI to a catless resonated downpipe with the stock exhaust. The volume is slightly lower but the tone is higher and a tad raspy. The catalyst is like a sponge that absorbs a lot of that higher pitched rasp, a resonator is a straight through piece of pipe with some perforation on the sides to create an acoustic chamber.

Every car I’ve ever removed the cats on has increased the raspiness.

You do you though
Correct, it helps with rasp but will not eliminate it. For the most rasp elimination a catted downpipe would be the most effective.
Appreciate 1