BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-18-2023, 07:07 PM   #1
g80freddy
Rep
Drives: g80 m3

G80 exhaust valve rattle?

Has anyone had issues with exhaust valve rattling at low rpm 1.5k-2k and cold start with VR racing exhaust or any other exhaust. I did change out the brace for more clearance and it helped but it’s still rattling. It only happens when I have the valves open and in sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:45 PM   #2
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Same issue with a VR Performance (Alibaba) titanium exhaust. Seems to be a hit or miss with the valve assembly quality. The same exhaust on another car doesn’t have any rattling.

I’ve tried pre-loading the valve spring while keeping the valve in a closed position, which seems to help a tiny bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 07:55 PM   #3
g80freddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post
Same issue with a VR Performance (Alibaba) titanium exhaust. Seems to be a hit or miss with the valve assembly quality. The same exhaust on another car doesn’t have any rattling.

I’ve tried pre-loading the valve spring while keeping the valve in a closed position, which seems to help a tiny bit.
I’ll try that. I also ordered a SST valve controller maybe that will help
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:00 PM   #4
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by g80freddy View Post
I’ll try that. I also ordered a SST valve controller maybe that will help
Please keep us posted on how that goes. You can also try turning the valve with a flat head screwdriver to make sure it’s in fully closed position.

The rattling hasn’t really bothered me enough to revisit the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2023, 08:18 PM   #5
chris3g
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 xdrive

you definitely need some preload on the spring in the closed position, if you watch Valvetronic's install video they explain how to do it. however since you said that changing the brace made it better i would also confirm that it's not still touching slightly.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 06:03 AM   #6
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 (sold). G80 M3C Xdrive

I have the Valvetronic full titanium exhaust system on my G80 and yes, the valves rattle.

I took the actuators off and increased the spring tension, which did help, but didn't eliminate it.

Then I put the car in sport+ which opened the valves maybe ~50% and unplugged the actuators. That made the most difference and now it happens less often and only at certain RPM ranges.

I've also been looking at the SST valve controller to see if that helps. Cold starts are a little rough for the neighbors at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2023, 03:53 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataNerd View Post

I've also been looking at the SST valve controller to see if that helps. Cold starts are a little rough for the neighbors at the moment.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 06:16 PM   #8
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

In case anyone else is experiencing something similar - I still had a little play in one valve (passenger side) even after unplugging the actuator in a fixed position. To resolve that I wired the valve spring and actuator so there would be a constant tension. No, it's not ideal because I'd like to be able to make it quiet when I want, but it did resolve all rattling!

Hopefully someone else might find this useful. Personally, it was driving me crazy.

I might try to increase the spring tension even more to see if that would actually help when I feel like taking the actuators off again. I'll update with results if/when that happens.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2023, 05:01 PM   #9
g80freddy
Rep

Wanted to update everyone I tried checking if the springs were loose and everything was tight. I installed the SST valve controller and boom it’s fixed now no more rattle. The 50% mode there is still a little bit of rattle but the fully open option has no rattle. The downside there is no more pops and bangs on decel. Upside the car is noticeably more loud.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      09-30-2023, 07:33 AM   #10
DataNerd
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wanted to update everyone I tried checking if the springs were loose and everything was tight. I installed the SST valve controller and boom it’s fixed now no more rattle. The 50% mode there is still a little bit of rattle but the fully open option has no rattle. The downside there is no more pops and bangs on decel. Upside the car is noticeably more loud.
Nice that it's fixed. You should still get some overrun though on deceleration. From my experience, in efficient it doesn't, but in Sport/+ with the exhaust button active, you definitely should.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2023, 03:42 PM   #11
g80freddy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataNerd View Post
Nice that it's fixed. You should still get some overrun though on deceleration. From my experience, in efficient it doesn't, but in Sport/+ with the exhaust button active, you definitely should.
I forgot to turn on the exhaust button got so used to having it turned off. It does pop and bang with it on thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 09:58 PM   #12
Konag80
Rep
Drives: Bmw g80 m3

Quote:
Was it difficult to install the sst controller? So with the controller, stock sound control no longer works? I have vr exhaust and having loud rattle and startup and low rpm accelerations.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 10:35 PM   #13
Konag80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedPiston View Post

How do you go about preloading the valve springs. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:06 PM   #14
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konag80 View Post
Was it difficult to install the sst controller? So with the controller, stock sound control no longer works? I have vr exhaust and having loud rattle and startup and low rpm accelerations.
There's lots of information in this thread: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039967

It's incredibly easy and there's tons of youtube videos showing how to do it.

The SST allows you to either have the valves stay open, stay closed, stay at 50%, or be controlled by the car as normal. 4 modes with a 4 button remote.
Appreciate 1
M4Tejas788.00
      02-14-2024, 11:09 PM   #15
Konag80
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
There's lots of information in this thread: https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2039967

It's incredibly easy and there's tons of youtube videos showing how to do it.

The SST allows you to either have the valves stay open, stay closed, stay at 50%, or be controlled by the car as normal. 4 modes with a 4 button remote.
Thanks for the explanation. So by installing the sst controller, how does it actually fix the rattling valve? Sorry I'm a newbie at this
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 11:14 PM   #16
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. So by installing the sst controller, how does it actually fix the rattling valve? Sorry I'm a newbie at this
That I'm not sure about. I imagine the fix is something to do with the valve itself, rather than the controller. I would see if FriedPiston can offer an opinion
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 06:03 AM   #17
g80freddy
Rep

Quote:
It fixes it but keeping the valve fully open instead of the normal 30% open.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 06:10 AM   #18
g80freddy
Rep

Quote:
It takes about 10-15 min super easy just unplugged factory valves control and plug in the SST ones. I installed it by the battery there is two rubber Grommets on the left and right side you can remove/cut to pass the wires through
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 05:43 AM   #19
This Time: BMW
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 G82 Xdrive

Hey there,
I've dealt with similar issues before, and sometimes, it's not just about clearance but also about how your exhaust system is set up and tuned.

To tackle the rattling, it might be worth doing a comprehensive trouble scan. This could help uncover any underlying issues causing the noise, like a P0080 trouble code.

Last edited by This Time: BMW; 04-18-2024 at 06:48 AM..
Appreciate 0