BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-09-2024, 11:11 AM   #1
bmoss1610
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp; 2022 M5 Comp

G8X Active Sound & Valve Controller

Posting some new to me information in case it's useful, I've seen a bunch of threads touching on this topic with information of varying accuracy. I was just emailing back and forth with Bimmercode (very helpful responses by the way) about ASD (Active Sound Design, otherwise known as fake exhaust sounds). I had coded ASD off with Bimmercode, but there was still fake sound in the car and I couldn't figure it out. They told me that if the coding doesn't work, there is an extra step, which is removing the activation code for ASD. The Bimmercode manual for the G8X covers this, it's quite easy and solved the issue: https://bimmercode.app/cars/g20/#ASD_INSIDE. In addition, within ASD, there are sub-functions, such as "burbles", "start up sound", "downshift sound", etc. According to Bimmercode, all of them are fake, and all can be coded off individually or as a group. I've turned everything off in mine, including deleting the activation code, and the sound, while a bit quiet, is now all real!

To maximize my ability to control functions individually, I also installed a Dahler valve controller (https://www.dahlerusa.com/products/d...41445176082611). Not cheap, but very well built and easy to install, especially because it's self powered from the valve connectors, no need to find separate power when installing. I installed mine in the trunk next to the battery and routed the cables through a plug on the left side of the battery tray. I popped out the plug and removed the inside so that I could turn it into a grommet to protect the wiring from the sharp edge of the hole. I now have the ability to set the valves to full open (even sport plus doesn't open them fully) in any drive mode, which is what I wanted. It also has a memory function and a startup function so you can choose to have it remember your last setting or revert to stock control and you can choose what it does on startup. Some pics of the install:

Name:  Controller.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  116.3 KB

Name:  Valve Wiring Driver Side.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  166.1 KB

Name:  Valve Wiring Passenger Side.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  162.0 KB

Name:  Wire Routing.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  123.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:36 PM   #2
Berzerker
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Convertible

Garage List
I'm assuming you did this in your F87 or F90, just a clarifying point since this is the G8x forum.

It's important to note that not all G8x have that grommet available. There's been posts that hole isn't even there and is completely solid metal. In my G83, it's a hard plastic grommet that I was not getting through without drilling it, which also would have been incredibly difficult without the proper right-angle adapters.

The Dahler unit is good, but the SST controller does the exact same thing and is 1/3 of the price, there's already many discussions on valve controllers here.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 03:42 PM   #3
bmoss1610
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp; 2022 M5 Comp

G80 M3 RWD Manual. MY2023.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 10:45 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for sharing

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2024, 12:24 PM   #5
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss1610 View Post
Not cheap, but very well built and easy to install, especially because it's self powered from the valve connectors, no need to find separate power when installing. I installed mine in the trunk next to the battery and routed the cables through a plug on the left side of the battery tray.
Totally valid and I agree, but still funny juxtaposed right above the picture of the unit sitting a foot from the positive distribution block and literally touching the ground strap.

Appreciate 0