BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

04-03-2024, 11:02 AM   #45
Juanero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Pcars, TOYcars, M3Cx

On my 2nd Macan Turbo (21) because I liked it so much (prior was a 16). My wife daily drives it and I daily the m3xc. The back seats seem equivalent. The m3 got lots of power and quicker, but the Macan ends up being a more comfortable cruiser. The Macan turbo stock exhaust sounds so much better than the stock m3. Both are fun, but the M3 will drift any second you want. On short trips, we take the m3 most of the time. Long trips, it's 50-50.

That exhaust note alone is probably why neither one of us are interested in switching to the EV version. I'm also not interested in installing a new fast charger into our garage for an EV.
Appreciate 1
DFW_M1671.00
      04-03-2024, 09:32 PM   #46
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanero View Post
On my 2nd Macan Turbo (21) because I liked it so much (prior was a 16). My wife daily drives it and I daily the m3xc. The back seats seem equivalent. The m3 got lots of power and quicker, but the Macan ends up being a more comfortable cruiser. The Macan turbo stock exhaust sounds so much better than the stock m3. Both are fun, but the M3 will drift any second you want. On short trips, we take the m3 most of the time. Long trips, it's 50-50.

That exhaust note alone is probably why neither one of us are interested in switching to the EV version. I'm also not interested in installing a new fast charger into our garage for an EV.
I just got me a loaded 2023 GTS and am loving it. After 22 years of BMWs, I am not missing the G80 at all.
The Macan GTS is exactly what I was looking for -- smaller than the G80, way more comfortable, very capable handling, as fast as my 6MT G80 was, the sound is so natural (not fed through the speakers) and intoxicating, and the PDK is great (never thought I would say that about a non MT)
Appreciate 2
Draper3460.50
Juanero213.50
      04-03-2024, 09:38 PM   #47
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdrive View Post
Why would someone choose the Macan (EV or not) over the M3? Or why would someone choose to own both? It seems to me that the M3 has more room and is also better to drive. I guess ground clearance would be a reason if you have to deal with snow in the winter?
the cabin space is about the same. The build quality is in favor of the Macan -- zero buzzes or creaks. The ride quality is so much better in the Macan, and even on 21" wheels (air suspension is great; that was my wife's first comment). Handling is very much on par with the G80. The steering feel and feedback of the Macan is better than the G80. The engine sound cannot compare. It is as fast as the 6MT G80, sub 4s 0-60 and 12s 1/4 mile. It is 4" shorter than the G80.
For me, the above things + easiness of getting in and out (hips and lower back issues) were an easy decision...
Appreciate 2
bmwdrive464.00
Draper3460.50
      04-12-2024, 04:23 AM   #48
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
As a former Taycan owner (as well as former Mach E GT Performance owner), I would advise those interested to wait. The Taycan had loads of issues, lots of infotainment crashes where it became unusable while driving (which my other 4 Porsche's never experienced). So I took it in for the software update, and because Porsche is not a software company (antithesis of Tesla), they had my car over 2 weeks - for a software update!

Beyond that, the car was a bore to drive, the "instant acceleration" got boring quick, no soul or drama, too heavy to have fun in the mountains, range sucked, step in height was awkward with the battery pack height, the B pillar was in an insanely odd location (too far forward), goofy EV noises, horrendous depreciation, poor charging infrastructure, and on and on... Sold it after 5 months and lost $10k even after the tax credit (so $17,500 lost or over $3k a month at the peak of the crazy car market when nothing was losing money).

Same issues with the Mach E, but worse - battery component failures that restrict your acceleration (on the top performance trim) and made my wife worry the car would strand her somewhere. Again a shop queen + clueless Ford service. Couldn't wait to get of that junk pile. I shopped this car around to local dealers and when I went to Honda the used car manager said "I'll be honest, I am not even going to give you a number because EV's don't sell, sorry" - a 1 year old car, that has the greatest locomotion technology ever created (sarcasm) and a dealer doesn't even want to give me $10k for a $62k sticker price SUV.

My local Porsche dealer has 1 person on the list for the Macan EV, none for the 718 EV and the lot is overflowing with Taycan.

Do not take paid/"wined and dined" journalists word as fact with these cars. If you have to have the new Macan EV for some reason, buy it used (for half-price), it will be another hugely depreciating failure that Porsche wish they never bothered with.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5894.50
      04-16-2024, 06:54 AM   #49
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M View Post
the cabin space is about the same. The build quality is in favor of the Macan -- zero buzzes or creaks. The ride quality is so much better in the Macan, and even on 21" wheels (air suspension is great; that was my wife's first comment). Handling is very much on par with the G80. The steering feel and feedback of the Macan is better than the G80. The engine sound cannot compare. It is as fast as the 6MT G80, sub 4s 0-60 and 12s 1/4 mile. It is 4" shorter than the G80.
For me, the above things + easiness of getting in and out (hips and lower back issues) were an easy decision...
I would totally disagree with you here. No matter how many times i try to like macan. I can not find a single thing i like about it. I think this video says it best - it is good at nothing and is the most domesticated porshe in the line up.
I have m4 x and x3m and was looking for direct comparison videos

There are very few direct comparisons of macan gts and x3m especially on the track but after owning x3m for 1.5 years i can definately say it outperforms gts on the road circuit. Everything is better - acceleration, braking, cornering, mid corner balance, corner exit. X3m is definatly faster around the track. In the below video it beat gts by 7 seconds on 2 min track
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 08:35 AM   #50
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
I would totally disagree with you here. No matter how many times i try to like macan. I can not find a single thing i like about it. I think this video says it best - it is good at nothing and is the most domesticated porshe in the line up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80bsxO88-wI

There are very few direct comparisons of macan gts and x3m especially on the track but after owning x3m for 1.5 years i can definately say it outperforms gts on the road circuit. Everything is better - acceleration, braking, cornering, mid corner balance, corner exit. X3m is definatly faster around the track. In the below video it beat gts by 7 seconds on 2 min track
The Macan GTS is a comfy cruiser, not a track rat - esp with air suspension. My neighbor had the Macan Turbo, and it was pretty small inside but definitely quick. But I wouldn’t want to take it to a track. The X3M is a rough ride by comparison but more capable imo.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:34 AM   #51
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
I think he was speaking to things like ride and general fit and finish. Sure the X3M is faster on a closed course, but effectively zero people are taking either of these cars to the track.

The X3M I drove had more turbo lag than I would have liked and the speed factor wore off pretty quickly when you consider the ride and lower quality interior. I won't debate looks here because that can be very personal, but all these factors made it not a daily driver option for me.

Keep in mind, the Macan comes in multiple trim levels and can be specced with a ton of different options. These can really impact how the car drives. IMHO, if you're looking at 2015-2021, anything less than the Turbo is going to feel slow. 2022+ the GTS became the top trim and had Turbo level power. Things like 20-21 wheels, air suspension, and PTV+ are definite must haves no matter the trim level.
      04-16-2024, 11:28 AM   #52
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Except that Macan GTS should be compared to the X3 M40 not the X3M…
And i did own every M3 or M3C (F80) and M2C since e46 (minus the e9x) and going from the G80 to the GTS left me not missing a thing about the BMW.
It is not a track car, it is not the fastest 0-60 or 1/4, but handling, sound when opened up, quietness when desired, comfort, the size, steering feel beats any BMW in current offering.

If the videos (sorry but i did not understand a word of it) are how you determine what vehicle to get next, you have no idea what are you talking about…

How about this video:

Last edited by DFW_M; 04-16-2024 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0