BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

01-01-2024, 12:05 AM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Rumble through steering wheel

Happy New Year all!

So I’m approaching 1,000 miles on my G80xdrive. Getting more seat time and more impressions. The other day my wife finally drove the car and said “there’s a lot of vibrations through the wheel”. Compared to her Cayenne there definitely is. It’s interesting the Cayenne’s steering is deader than the G80’s in terms of NVH through the wheel but when the car is turning, you feel more lateral pull through the rack. The G80 is the opposite. I feel more road NVH through the wheel but I think because of the lack of self centering (anyone know the caster setting and if you can change it?) there is less side force pulling on the wheel when turning.

In any event, when driving straight ahead, I often feel a low frequency “rumble” coming through the wheel. Does not appear to be connected to load / unload in any meaningful way. I didn’t get these kinds of sensations in my 997 with hydraulic steering. It’s…different.

Thoughts? Normal? Doesn’t seem like an issue. But wanted to see other people’s experiences.

Edit, I do have lane departure warning turned off.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 02:05 PM   #2
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

Your wife is the first woman I've heard of that does not like vibrations.

Appreciate 7
natmad667.00
yeetyeet391.50
BimmerFix1390.50
aktif81030.50
/ / / M3496.50
      01-01-2024, 10:19 PM   #3
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

🤣
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2024, 10:29 PM   #4
/ / / M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Normal. I was surprised by how much feedback you get through the steering wheel, especially in light of all the steering feel complaints.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:36 AM   #5
Gottagofast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp X-Drive

On a serious note, I do agree. While the feedback isn't great and I would like it to improve on my G82, the vibration is something I could do without. I'm a hands on 3 and 9 o'clock driver and after driving for an hour or so, specially on the highway, my fingers start to get numb. It's not a nice feeling, and that's with the wheel and chassis set to comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 12:59 AM   #6
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Wow, first I've heard of a late-model BMW having too much steering feel.

Most of us would like to feel more of the road, not less...though I don't need more road feel myself, but I do wish for a more natural weight to the steering feel as the car bends into turns.

So this is an interesting complaint by the OP.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 02:37 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Have you hit a pothole by any chance?
Reason for asking is that I experienced a small vibration in my m550 which occurred after a pothole
Initial look by me and the bmw dealership found nothing but I had a closer look and found that one of the front tyres was very slight damaged ( small bulge) and barely noticeable
A very small vibration was felt, more obvious at higher speeds but still quite subtle
After replacement of tyre, all gone

Maybe worth a check if this noticeable now and. It initially
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3359.00
      01-02-2024, 06:20 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Another thought in addition, if by any chance it is down to a damaged tyre, it could be on the inside which is obviously more difficult to see unless on a stand
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 06:53 AM   #9
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Happy New Year all!

So I’m approaching 1,000 miles on my G80xdrive. Getting more seat time and more impressions. The other day my wife finally drove the car and said “there’s a lot of vibrations through the wheel”. Compared to her Cayenne there definitely is. It’s interesting the Cayenne’s steering is deader than the G80’s in terms of NVH through the wheel but when the car is turning, you feel more lateral pull through the rack. The G80 is the opposite. I feel more road NVH through the wheel but I think because of the lack of self centering (anyone know the caster setting and if you can change it?) there is less side force pulling on the wheel when turning.

In any event, when driving straight ahead, I often feel a low frequency “rumble” coming through the wheel. Does not appear to be connected to load / unload in any meaningful way. I didn’t get these kinds of sensations in my 997 with hydraulic steering. It’s…different.

Thoughts? Normal? Doesn’t seem like an issue. But wanted to see other people’s experiences.

Edit, I do have lane departure warning turned off.
This is really odd…I haven’t really experienced this. Are you sure all the nannies are off? Try it with full DSC off and track mode to see if it still happens.

I find in our X7 if the side mirrors are lit up indicating a car nearby and you change lanes it’ll still vibrate even if there is plenty of room to switch lanes.

Also do you drive with sports steering or comfort?
      01-02-2024, 07:30 AM   #10
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by / / / M3 View Post
Normal. I was surprised by how much feedback you get through the steering wheel, especially in light of all the steering feel complaints.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottagofast View Post
On a serious note, I do agree. While the feedback isn't great and I would like it to improve on my G82, the vibration is something I could do without. I'm a hands on 3 and 9 o'clock driver and after driving for an hour or so, specially on the highway, my fingers start to get numb. It's not a nice feeling, and that's with the wheel and chassis set to comfort mode.
I don't think it's that bad. But there is this odd harmonic that is almost like the LDW vibration. I think I need to turn that ON and purposely activate it to see if that's the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Wow, first I've heard of a late-model BMW having too much steering feel.

Most of us would like to feel more of the road, not less...though I don't need more road feel myself, but I do wish for a more natural weight to the steering feel as the car bends into turns.

So this is an interesting complaint by the OP.
Think you need to re-read what I said. You said "Most of us would like to feel more of the road, not less...though I don't need more road feel myself, but I do wish for a more natural weight to the steering feel as the car bends into turns."

I said:

"The G80 is the opposite. I feel more road NVH through the wheel but I think because of the lack of self centering (anyone know the caster setting and if you can change it?) there is less side force pulling on the wheel when turning."

In other words, exactly the same as you. I'm feeling NVH, but no actual STEERING feel. No natural weighting to the wheel as I turn it and it unwinds. But in addition, I feel this odd rumble. Every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Another thought in addition, if by any chance it is down to a damaged tyre, it could be on the inside which is obviously more difficult to see unless on a stand
Definitely not a damaged tire. Happens way to intermittent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
This is really odd…I haven’t really experienced this. Are you sure all the nannies are off? Try it with full DSC off and track mode to see if it still happens.

I find in our X7 if the side mirrors are lit up indicating a car nearby and you change lanes it’ll still vibrate even if there is plenty of room to switch lanes.

Also do you drive with sports steering or comfort?
I need to double check all the safety nannies. It's possible that one is still on and giving me an alert through the wheel. It's definitely not the blind spot warning, as it happens when the mirror indicators are not even on. As I said above, I need to turn those ON and deliberately provoke them and see if they are the culprit.
Appreciate 2
KevinGS3359.00
      01-02-2024, 10:19 AM   #11
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Lane maintain would be one of them, if it’s still On if you have that. As you get closer to the lines, if could be slightly jarring the steering the other way and if it’s really minor, the servo motor micro adjustments could be what you’re feeling. Honestly, I would just turn all that junk Off as it causes more issues than it fixes or tries to address for the driver.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2024, 01:41 PM   #12
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I need to double check all the safety nannies. It's possible that one is still on and giving me an alert through the wheel. It's definitely not the blind spot warning, as it happens when the mirror indicators are not even on. As I said above, I need to turn those ON and deliberately provoke them and see if they are the culprit.
I don’t experience this in my G82. The drive is consistent. A question, what tire pressure are you running (cold) and which tires do you have? My experience with M’s that tires and pressure need to be dialed in just right or things will be off.
      03-05-2024, 11:58 AM   #13
mdr955
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4

Needsdecaf did you ever resolve this or just figure it’s normal?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 01:08 PM   #14
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Went away or I got used to it. Also got the CS tune so that may have changed things.
Appreciate 0