BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

03-06-2024, 05:03 PM   #1
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Hesitation at around 2k rpm

So I’m approaching the 30k mile mark and in the last 2-3k miles I’m getting an odd sensation when I’m just putting around town in efficient/d1.

It’s kind of like a momentary lapse in torque leading up to the 2k mark. There’s no audible stutter sound or anything like that, just a sudden sensation of the power not being there then having it suddenly come back. All in 1/2 a second.

I may also be in my head about this part but it seems like the engine suddenly has more power once I’m at the 2.2k mark.

Like my foot is in the same position but the car just starts to accelerate a bit harder out of nowhere.

I’ve narrowed it down to being between 1.8k-2.1k rpms.

It’s also substantially more noticeable while the car is warming up.

Could it be spark plugs?

Maybe a sensor?

It’s a small thing but doesn’t seem right to me.

Lmk what you guys think👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 05:44 PM   #2
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep
Drives: S4

Could be time for spark plug change. That said, I had this issue after changing out VVTI solenoids on my S4 for non-Audi ones and the cam phasing control was a little on the lazy side for some reason. I was feeling the same sensation you’re describing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 06:10 PM   #3
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwankPeRFection View Post
Could be time for spark plug change. That said, I had this issue after changing out VVTI solenoids on my S4 for non-Audi ones and the cam phasing control was a little on the lazy side for some reason. I was feeling the same sensation you’re describing.
That’s what I was thinking as well, but I had thought that the 20k mile service did new plugs.

I wouldn’t put it past the guys in the bay just skipping that and saying they did it.

I’ll take a peek at them this weekend, hopefully that’s it and not a cam position sensor.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2024, 08:05 PM   #4
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Yeah, in my case it was just bullshit Chinese made VVT solenoids. Got them replaced as defective when new and problem went away. I only changed them because the seals were leaking. Putting back originals got rid of the timing out of phase codes, so it was obvious to the parts place I just got some duds or something.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2024, 08:08 PM   #5
SwankPeRFection
Captain
Rep

Unless you see the parts list show spark plugs on your receipt or work order, they probably didn’t change them. If you install new ones, get a proper gapping tool and go with .026 on the gap and it should be all smooth if it was stumbly hesitation that you’re feeling.
Appreciate 1