Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Track Numbers

What are you all doing about track numbers? I used magnetic numbers on my F80 since the doors were still steel. The G8X is aluminum and of course they don't work anymore. I bought a set of reusable vinyl and used them for 1 track day, but I can tell the edges are starting to lose adhesiveness and they probably will peel back and collect dirt and be useless after one more track day.

Any way to clean the backs of the numbers without losing adhesion? Or do I really have to buy a set of numbers for every track day? I don't want to keep the numbers on between track days either. Even though I don't daily the car, I still would like to drive around without looking like a poser.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #2
Boomer 2019
Track Rat
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
What are you all doing about track numbers? I used magnetic numbers on my F80 since the doors were still steel. The G8X is aluminum and of course they don't work anymore. I bought a set of reusable vinyl and used them for 1 track day, but I can tell the edges are starting to lose adhesiveness and they probably will peel back and collect dirt and be useless after one more track day.

Any way to clean the backs of the numbers without losing adhesion? Or do I really have to buy a set of numbers for every track day? I don't want to keep the numbers on between track days either. Even though I don't daily the car, I still would like to drive around without looking like a poser.
I have used the same reusable vinyl #'s for 13 track days so far, and though they are no longer pristine, they will use up their eye appeal long before they use up their usefulness. In answer to your question, No you cannot clean the back side. Once a spot has acquired dirt or body oil, that spot will no longer adhere. It's going to happen. Try to handle them as little as possible, and get them to lay perfectly flat. When peeling them off the car start at the rear (downwind) side, and use your fingernail to lift up the edge. Even though this small portion may not adhere any longer, it will not cause the # to roll up like a window shade at speed. Like I said, if you handle them carefully you will want to replace them for cosmetic reasons long before they have lost their usefulness. Depends on your level of OCD. I use FireStorm Graphix.
      04-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #3
ember.m4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

So you're right that the doors are not magnetic, but the quarter panels are. I have been putting my magnetic numbers on the rear quarter panels instead of the doors and no HPDE organizer has complained yet. This will likely only work for an M4 since we have larger rear quarter panels, but it looks like that's what you have. I like to put a piece of electrical tape on the leading edge just to make sure it doesn't lift from the wind and fly off. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingplant View Post
So you're right that the doors are not magnetic, but the quarter panels are. I have been putting my magnetic numbers on the rear quarter panels instead of the doors and no HPDE organizer has complained yet. This will likely only work for an M4 since we have larger rear quarter panels, but it looks like that's what you have. I like to put a piece of electrical tape on the leading edge just to make sure it doesn't lift from the wind and fly off. YMMV.
I might do that. My old magnetic numbers are too big however, so they won't work.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 11:47 PM   #5
pinky_chi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 6mt

I've been wondering the same as well. An ATS-V driver at my local autocross had hers on the quarter panel and it seemed to work well. I also considered taping them onto the inside of the rear windows since I dont plan on tinting my car. For now though I'll just cut them out each time since we own a Circut vinyl cutter.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 12:28 AM   #6
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
I got an email from trackdecals.com saying I can just wash it with warm water and Dawn and not lose any adhesive. I'll try that after my next track day this weekend.

Appreciate 0