BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

09-22-2020, 08:58 PM   #243
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BYU View Post
For context, I believe this is my first post about the grilles, but not my first post about BMW's recent marketing campaigns.

I've heard that the opposite of love isn't hate -- it's indifference. Be glad for the hate for what you've done, BMW. It means people care deeply about BMW, ///M, and the M3 and M4 brands. Now do something about it.

It's one thing when an enthusiast forum gets out the pitchforks, but it's a whole other thing when your normally adoring global YouTube audience soundly rejects what you've done.

I'm more disappointed in the direction of your ad campaigns than the new grille design, impossible as that may seem. The ads are objectively terrible, though I won't take time here to deconstruct exactly why. I can't believe something like this even happened. How?

Ultimately, the following people are accountable for this and ought to own the consequences, good or bad (recognizing I may be wrong, they ought to get credit if credit is deserved). There are probably more. And no, it doesn't matter that decisions may have pre-dated these people assuming their roles; leaders gotta lead:
  • Oliver Zipse -- Chairman of the Board of Management of BMW AG
  • Domagoj Dukec -- Head of Design for BMW
  • Markus Flasch -- Head of BMW M (to the extent he has any influence over design, which he may not)
And especially:
  • Jens Thiemer -- Head of Brand Steering and Marketing for BMW
  • ...And whoever runs the global ad agency BMW selected
Signed,

Not Indifferent
I like the design of the G8X but agree with you on the marketing.... I have been a stakeholder in creative reviews at this scale and this (and the whole m town theme) really feels like the agency was allowed to run wild with the brand identity. No one stood up to say "hey, I get the artistic pop but how will this connect with in market consumers", it is like the modern interpretation of the m art car heritage took over the entire brand instead of being a cool one off. Even the M next concept I was scratching my head. My assumption is the agency was directed to be different and was able to convince them anything less radical was business as usual.

But we know they can do it right, contrast these G8X ads to x5 and especially x7 launch ads which were dead on target, really well done and expressive to both target demo and aspirational cohorts.
I want to add something to this because I'm really involved in their marketing in North America and...you're right.

If anyone thinks there is a dude in the marketing department of Big Agency who has an M tattoo, drives an E30 and tracks an E90, you'd be disappointed.

Once, my smaller agency went to a model launch at Lime Rock, and the Big national Agency from NYC was there. The BMW rep was very knowledgeable and a car guy, and he started the demo by asking how many people here could drive. Do you know not a single person from big agency raised their hand? I swear that's a true story.

Rest assured, the things I do for them are on point. But I am just one man in a very large machine.
Montaver2179.00
3erMan153.00
troym4.50
///BYU268.50
GhostyM538.50
      09-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #244
someMoreMplease
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 AY DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3GymNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by someMoreMplease View Post
Increase the weight by over 500 pounds, give torque at higher rpm, remove the dct, bring basically the same performance as last gen, annndddd give it the most unconventional styling ever. What are they smoking?
I agree with some of the points you're saying but if you really think it's "basically" the same performance I think it's you smoking that good stuff...
It's trash.
I'll pass the joint over to you. Smoke up and explain how this is leaps and bounds better from what we can read and interpret.
Nothing extraordinary. Maybe a test drive can change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:05 PM   #245
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
I thought I'd like the M3 better but kinda prefer the M4 after seeing the photos/videos.

Also, does this mean the AWD versions will weigh more than the M340???
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #246
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
It's trash.
I'll pass the joint over to you. Smoke up and explain how this is leaps and bounds better from what we can read and interpret.
Spot on sir.

The whole aura of the G80 was a killer powerplant and detachable AWD, right? Right. BMW now comes out and releases RWD variants only with AWD to follow at a later date. Take a deep dive and all they did was dumb down the car to appeal to the masses. What's so groundbreaking versus the F80?

Performance is lack luster. 0-60 is .2 worse (core) and only .1 faster (comp) than the F80 while the G80 has an extra gear and 50-75hp more. The torque nor power curves are as flat and the redline is shorter when compared to the F80. I'd say with every ounce of confidence that the G80 is going to feel as laggy and dull as the X3M that I drove was. With how many people complain about it on the F97 platform, hearing that really sucks.

They managed to add not 100lbs, not 300lbs, but 500lbs into a RWD platform of nearly the same car! I'm not trying to be a track rat and split hairs on weight but at 3,900lbs for RWD variants, what will the AWD variants be? Let's add 250lbs on top for the AWD system and that puts the G80 over TWO TONS at 4,150lbs. At that rate, you're roughly 100lbs away from an F90 which is a vastly superior car, in my opinion.

The M Performance plug is an absolute mess, as with the way the entire car was debuted. This video series goes to show just who BMW is trying to cater to. That M Performance exhaust belongs on a Cavalier from the 2000s. And the M Drift Analyzer? What a joke.

BMW literally stripped everything "M" about this car away from its identity to appeal to the masses and it is nothing but a flat-out disappointment. And yes, this behavior started subtly with the F80.
Appreciate 10
bm4w145.50
bmrm396639.50
ihbase362.50
CanAutM321116.50
Imola3323.50
Germanauto9702.50
A6bullet337.00
GhostyM538.50
      09-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #247
someMoreMplease
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4 AY DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNR View Post
Quote:
It's trash.
Spot on sir.

The whole aura of the G80 was a killer powerplant and detachable AWD, right? Right. BMW now comes out and releases RWD variants only with AWD to follow at a later date. Take a deep dive and all they did was dumb down the car to appeal to the masses. What's so groundbreaking versus the F80?

Performance is lack luster. 0-60 is .2 worse (core) and only .1 faster (comp) than the F80 while the G80 has an extra gear and 50-75hp more. The torque nor power curves are as flat and the redline is shorter when compared to the F80. I'd say with every ounce of confidence that the G80 is going to feel as laggy and dull as the X3M that I drove was. With how many people complain about it on the F97 platform, hearing that really sucks.

They managed to add not 100lbs, not 300lbs, but 500lbs into a RWD platform of nearly the same car! I'm not trying to be a track rat and split hairs on weight but at 3,900lbs for RWD variants, what will the AWD variants be? Let's add 250lbs on top for the AWD system and that puts the G80 over TWO TONS at 4,150lbs. At that rate, you're roughly 100lbs away from an F90 which is a vastly superior car, in my opinion.

The M Performance plug is an absolute mess, as with the way the entire car was debuted. This video series goes to show just who BMW is trying to cater to. That M Performance exhaust belongs on a Cavalier from the 2000s. And the M Drift Analyzer? What a joke.

BMW literally stripped everything "M" about this car away from its identity to appeal to the masses and it is nothing but a flat-out disappointment. And yes, this behavior started subtly with the F80.
Amen.
But wait......We can now drop a few grand to equip those carbon fiber "performance" seats and red trim to reduce the weight drastically 😂🤣
What a money grab.
I was hyped for this.
Appreciate 3
MNR268.00
Germanauto9702.50
      09-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #248
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

Butt ugly, if I had that mug I'd get a face life! Probably the ugliest BMW ever made, Bangle butt has gotten that monkey off it's back.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:20 PM   #249
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

its sad you have to choose the carbon pack in order to get those different lower intake parts instead of the honey cone ones. Those actually helps with making the front a little bit less hideous.
      09-22-2020, 09:22 PM   #250
MNR
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Amen.
But wait......We can now drop a few grand to equip those carbon fiber "performance" seats and red trim to reduce the weight drastically 😂🤣
What a money grab.
I was hyped for this.
Bingo. I was hyped for this too...over a year of following this board, spy shots, fluke articles, and planning an ED trip which is now no longer available.
Appreciate 3
      09-22-2020, 09:23 PM   #251
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostyM View Post
This car is a abomination.

MUCH heavier, no DCT, barely any faster, WAY uglier, & more expensive?

To anyone buying this car.... are you mad?
This sums up the new M3/M4 in a nutshell.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:27 PM   #252
andrewsd
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3c

I think worse than the front is the weight! I can't believe how heavy it is... and that's before AWD. And it got a longer wheel base and grew 5+ inches overall. Why??
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:29 PM   #253
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Spot on sir.

Agreed with this 100%. The weight and performance of the new M3/M4 is a disaster.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:31 PM   #254
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsd View Post
I think worse than the front is the weight! I can't believe how heavy it is... and that's before AWD. And it got a longer wheel base and grew 5+ inches overall. Why??
The current M CEO repeatedly quoted Aston Martin when discussing substantial changes to M vehicles. Maybe he wants to dump the sales just like the Vantage so M division eventually emerges with the Green Party.
      09-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #255
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

To whomever designed the new G80 and G82.

You know why!

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:36 PM   #256
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
I dont think I've ever been so disappointed by a new car, ever. So many strange design choices, no 6 speed in comp spec, 3900+ lbs, those M-Performance accessories, what the hell happened?
      09-22-2020, 09:37 PM   #257
PawnStar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: twin turbo 6 with frunk

Quote:
Spot on sir.

So with fuel and average sized driver the AWD version will tip the scales at around 4500 😂

Cool GT car for around 85k
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:39 PM   #258
Slow///1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80, GT3, X7

The front end is better in videos than pictures, and the interior looks great. I was sure that if I could get over the front grill, the rest of the specs would make this car worthwhile...

BUT no.

Aside from properly wide rubber up front and highly programmable traction control (such a huge addition), the crazy increase in weight and huge torque deficit with 6MT make this a tough sell.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #259
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lackluster Launch

After going through the photos from this thread thus far, my biggest disappointment is the performance, let alone any weight or CFRP optimization.
  • Front and rear bump lines and design are not coherent
  • Two indent area from the engine hood maybe problem for water and dust deposit
  • No CFRP strut bar, instead with cheap looking metal welding bars
  • No body color side skirt
  • No body color front/rear bumper spoilers
  • Floating rear brakes
  • Glossy center console buttons (lack of premium matte or brush finish)
  • Glossy interior carbon fiber trim (only M-Sport pack offered matte carbon fiber trim)
  • Tacky M3/M4 decal on the center console
  • Glossy side vent not a deeper inlet as part of front fender
  • M3 mess up rear quarter panel and rear door gap transition with uneven door gaps
  • Worsen fuel economy (Urban / Extra-Urban / Combined)

F8x M3/M4 Competition 444hp 0-60 3.8s
G8x M3/M4 Competition 510hp 0-60 3.8s

Really? What is this, same performance as previous generation yet with higher HP output? Was hoping it's a typo, but it's not!

We may expect more LCI variants from this G8x generation, starting with real facelift!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #260
FC05
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring Z3M Coupe

Notice the black plastic bit on sedan rear wheel arch ?
What are those
Attached Images

09-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #261
akhbhaat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M318ti Type-R Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by XsltAnalyst View Post
WHY there is a huge torque deficit between regular and competition models? Other competition cars have same torque numbers. wtf?
Best guess: they don't have an MT in the parts bin that can handle the torque, and didn't want to invest in developing or sourcing one. So they dug up what they had and detuned the engine to make it work on the cheap.

The automatic is the real car and the one they expect (and want) to sell. It really just looks like the MT (base) version is an afterthought that they're probably just using to "prove" that they still build driver's cars for enthusiasts. I don't know why they bothered at all, because most real driving enthusiasts have bought the M2 or left the BMW brand entirely (me included; bought a Porsche this year after 17 years of exclusive BMW ownership and won't be going back).
      09-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #262
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Looking forward to seeing this in different colors! Specifically Ferrari Red and BSM

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:45 PM   #263
John.K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F30 B58 8AT GS/Blk, MPPSK

RE: US Pricing?

Anybody?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.K View Post
Any insights on US pricing? Did I miss it? Joe Achilles's video calls out £75k for M3 Comp. I would think that would signal $69k, $70k for US for Comp, no?

Also, looking at curb weights, how is the Comp variant heavier than the Base model. With all the carbon bits, and those wheels...

Finally, looks like Base can only be had with 6MT, not with the ZF 8AT as I've understood. Is that correct? (It's been clear the Comp cant be optioned with a 6mt, but i couldnt tell if the base model is unable to get the 8AT..)

John K
'09 E92 335i 8AT Blk/Blk M Pckg
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #264
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Not-so-random comments from a long-term M owner:

1. Gear Shift Assistant automatic rev-matching (can be disabled in iDrive). Wow, BMW actually listened to us.

2. I'm not one for engine eye-candy, but I'm surprised how much I think that cool F8X carbon strut brace is "missing." Not that any of my other M cars have this...I'm less surprised that this is not present than why BMW spent the money for the carbon brace in the F8X.

3. Glad to see the adjustable thigh extension is back in the base seats. I really like those in my M5 and Z4M coupe.

4. Although they would be overkill for my daily commute, those optional carbon sport seats certainly look the business.

5. I'm a die-hard MT guy, but it seems that finally BMW may have stepped up their game in terms of the Steptronic's paddles.
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 2
gnx759.50