BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-06-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
G80joe
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 RWD competition

1 year HONEST review 23 RWD comp

Preface: 2023 M3 competition RWD ordered in July, delivered in November of 22. Black sapphire metallic, full black interior, executive pkg, laserlight, park assist, vented seats. $77.5k with 5 % off MSRP and no tax. Im.sure many of you are familiar with the perk of being US military overseas.

I was lucky in Germany to get not 1 but 3 test drives. I initially REALLY wanted a M550i and I setup the appointment for the M550i. I know the M550i is supposed to be the soft cruiser but wowza the handling was an absolute deal breaker, absolutely atrocious in my opinion. I actually ended the trst drive early and drove back disappointed. I saw a dusty Grey G80 on the lot and asked if it was available. Pulling out of the dealership I was SOLD.

BMW offers small fee loaners ($500 a month) to use until your order is delivered. They loaned me a 430i Msport which I won't go into detail on here but that was a great car in my opinion.

enough of that info, let's get to it..

Just clicked over 10k miles and had my second service (which aren't covered in Europe) and I've observed the following.

Drivetrain: Holy crap.... Definitely a BMW masterpiece. BMW has always under rated their power but the S58 is on another level. I've done quite a bit of research on the S58 and the engineers really thought of everything.

The ZF leaves a lot on the table. Im.sure an XHP (mixed reviews) improves things but it's no DCT that's fir sure. That saud it delivers the S58 power quite well. But I think a DCT at least as an option would have been perfect.

Idrive 8 vs 7: My opinion it's no contest. Idrive 8 is just better in every measurable metric. I can say that confidently as the 430i I was loaned and put several thousand miles on had 7 and I didn't miss it at all when I hot swapped into idrive8.

Handling: turn-in is astonishing but G80s never hide their weight very well. Mid corner is where the weight is felt. Yes its flat and the speed you can carry is outstanding but I can feel what engineers put into it trying to hide it.

That said id like to shake the rear diff engineers hand. Really pushing the RWD comp thru switchbacks and long sweepers you can literally feel the diff working its magic; it feels like it's AWD if you're not purposely trying to drift. Which brings me to my next point, unpredictability.

G80s handle so well its hard to know where the limit is and the speeds you have to carry to reach the limit are terrifying. Many other (lighter) BMWs have a progressive and linear grip/limit feel. G80s have a funny way of making an ametuer overconfident. My point being when the limit is reached its EXTREMELY unpredictable. It's very E60 M5ish in that way. One of those "everything is fine till it isnt" type cars. Nearing the limit - The hint of understeer followed by snap oversteer has taken me by surprise more than once. Basically you better know what you're doing. I'm not talking about purposely drifting which is very easy in G80s, I mean purposely trying to keep it "fast" at the limit requires skill.

(Disclaimer: no I'm not a pro BUT I do understand there's a difference between the CARS limit , and your COMFORT level. You may think you're at the cars limit but you're really at what you're comfortable doing. I'm just saying I've had this at the limit and it's easily the most unpredictable M car I've driven in that regard).

Suspension: I really like the difference between comfort mode and sport+. I've actually found sport actually handles better than sport +. Minor road imperfections really unsettle the chassis/stability in sport+. Sport is the happy middle ground that feels like it's keeping better tire contacts patches with the road.

Maintenance: I've needed 2 oil changes so far and LOT of gas but she's completely trouble free which is nice considering I drive the hell out of her.

Miscellaneous thoughts: I'm lucky enough to blast this thing around on autobahns and enjoy german B roads. The following opinion may piss a lot of people off but... this car is completely useless in the states. It doesn't really come alive until 90ish MPH. I'm over 40 and haven't nor will I likely ever launch this car, just not my thing. I plan on selling it once I come stateside for probably an 840i gran coupe.

I'm astonished with the bang for you buck with G80s. But that's part of the problem. I only ever fully open her up on mostly empty stretches of autobahn (which is rare). Definitely a "more fun driving a slow car fast than a fast car slow" issue I have. I'm enjoying here but I'd likely rarely drive it at all in the states.

Issues: nothing mechanically wrong I think but in manual mode it feels like it holds back about 30% power on hard pulls. In '3 bars" auto it pulls much harder. Full throttle at less than 40-50mph results in fishtailing (stupid pirellis).

If I had to nit pick... the burbles and pops from.the exhaust are not my thing, to each their own though. Also the vented seats are such a scam. They're just a fan in the seat, there's no cooling happening.
Appreciate 19
holmar888289.00
mcsquared766.00
EXE462100.00
Needsdecaf6606.00
CRuben09119.00
jmg18709.50
Rodizzle397.00
bri10425941.50
vbb1865.50
2011ninja3399.00
M4Tejas788.00
BuckysBMW171.50
Swest1522.50
maelfyn156.50
SheBMW232.00
      10-06-2023, 05:48 PM   #2
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Agree with almost everything especially the overconfidence the car brings to the driver (https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2049733).

I do disagree with the car being useless in the US. I have had the privlidge of living in Germany for 7 years so I understand your perspective, but I am having plenty of fun here. Finding well maintained roads that wont unsettle your car at 90 mph is the biggest challenge.

Safe travels, thanks for your thoughts.

edit: thinking about it later, im glad to hear your driving it hard on the Autobahn and having no issues. You are right that in the US that unless we track it we dont really tax the platfrom except maybe launch control. Your experience is a good metric on the strength of the car in general.

Last edited by M4ord; 10-06-2023 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
mcsquared766.00
2011ninja3399.00
      10-06-2023, 06:59 PM   #3
DisonKlaud
internal combustion engine maniac
Rep
Drives: E90 325i F82 M4ZCP G82 M4C

good review. same opinion as i am in shanghai china, where the traffic is terrible, driving an m car especially with s58 engine at low speed (10kph average) here has nothing to experience 😂😂completely useless 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 08:35 PM   #4
Prossx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 G82 6MT SPY/YMB

this car is completely useless in the states. It doesn't really come alive until 90ish MPH.

"the states", which states and where? The US is freaking HUGE!

It comes alive at 3k RPM and then wow, being an onramp hero or launching on less than perfect pavement is still quite exhilarating and entertaining without getting into jail time top speeds, but I also have the manual. Admittedly such an incredibly competent platform does "smooth out the drama" and a slower or more rowdy/raw platform might be better for some folks, in some ways, in some places. Take it to the track I guess.
      10-06-2023, 09:13 PM   #5
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prossx View Post
this car is completely useless in the states. It doesn't really come alive until 90ish MPH.

"the states", which states and where? The US is freaking HUGE!

It comes alive at 3k RPM and then wow, being an onramp hero or launching on less than perfect pavement is still quite exhilarating and entertaining without getting into jail time top speeds, but I also have the manual. Admittedly such an incredibly competent platform does "smooth out the drama" and a slower or more rowdy/raw platform might be better for some folks, in some ways, in some places. Take it to the track I guess.
I'd venture to say any. It's so awesome to drive as fast as you can and do it legally. And the roads are nice AND people follow the rules of the road. In Bend, I get so frustrated driving this thing. Nearly all 25 and 35 mph limits - it's such a damn tease and I just want to FLYYYYYY.
      10-06-2023, 09:47 PM   #6
BMWRacer523
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Take it to the track, you can utilize the potential there. Agree on all other points.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2023, 10:11 PM   #7
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
Your main point is why I’ve stopped chasing the horsepower war and started chasing the weight loss push. I couldn’t be happier.
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3399.00
      10-07-2023, 02:01 AM   #8
nizona
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 2023

I'm also in Germany, if you're ever interested to meet at the Nürburgring let me know. I also have the same feeling about legal speeds in USA not really allowing for the full driving experience but I really enjoyed driving my car in Brittany, France with all there curves and 80kmh /50mph speed limit. Had to keep an eye out for cops as the top of 2nd gear is well over the limit already.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 02:53 AM   #9
spaceage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 X6MC, 22 M3, 01 Z3 3.0

Agree with most everything, but there are places in the US where you can rip, just gotta poke around.

I'm on 6MT G80. Based on the little experience I've had with comp vs. base, go base, steering is better. Still numb but better feel. Also, iDrive 8 sucks LOL. It takes about 80 clicks to turn up the fan. Otherwise totally agree with your writeup.
Appreciate 3
2011ninja3399.00
Jim B1895.00
maelfyn156.50
      10-07-2023, 06:40 AM   #10
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Your main point is why I’ve stopped chasing the horsepower war and started chasing the weight loss push. I couldn’t be happier.
OP, great review! I always enjoy these well-written long term reviews.
I agree with the quote above, except not so much the weight loss, but the driver's engagement. Somewhere after the Hellcats were putting out 700+ horse and Model 3s were doing nearly 3 second quartermiles I got completely bored with straight line speed. It's ubiquitous. But handling and manual transmissions for me became that much more interesting, because it really makes driving under 75mph a lot of fun.
bri10425941.50
2011ninja3399.00
      10-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #11
FiftyFiv3
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3CX

ID8 might be better but boy does that screen look tacky. Any reason you chose RWD over xDrive? Cost?
Appreciate 1
Jim B1895.00
      10-07-2023, 10:55 AM   #12
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Come to Texas bud..passing speed is 100 and we have twisty country roads for days.

On track the car is as you describe, all tidy until it isnt, and its a lot of mass that once it gets going the wrong way theres not enough tire to correct it passed a point. I’ve experienced this a few times on track. You feel the weight when its all loaded up big time.
      10-07-2023, 12:21 PM   #13
nu2M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: ‘23 M3 Competition xDriv

Nice write up. You can definitely open up your car in the U.S.A.! I’ve “safely” opened up my 200+mph toy plenty of times close to its limits. Now, the max tire speed…..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 02:17 PM   #14
BryanCO
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 997.1 GT3 G80 Manuals

Great to hear that you are enjoying the car.

To pile on the ‘useless in the states’ point; that certainly may be true for you but it’s silly to assume other owners use, own, value the car’s attributes and experiences in the same way you do.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 02:51 PM   #15
G80joe
Rep

Ok ok 😆 sorry I think "usless" was the wrong word. I just mean opening her up regularly and legally reminds me why I paid what I did. I was in the states for a month in August and I kept thinking to myself "I wouldn't enjoy the S58 here". I also don't mean to say it doesn't handle well. The corner exit speeds and rear diff stability are outstanding. More than outstanding, I catch myself looking at the HUD like "holy crap... HOW!" followed by hard braking to not get flashed by a polizei camera. I forgot to mention squeaky brakes. Mine don't squeak, nit regularly anyways. I attribute that to regularly braking at triple digit speeds. I have no intention of modding it at all. Only thing I've done is full Xpel stealth PPF. (New here obviously, how do I post a picture in the reply? I think the way i tried is... wrong)
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
2011ninja3399.00
M4ord788.50
sullic72.00
      10-10-2023, 10:51 AM   #16
zipsjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Garage List
2022 BMW X5M  [10.00]
G80joe Thank you for the review. I'm in between getting the xDrive or rear wheel. Had an Alfa Giulia Quad rear wheel and it was a blast. Figured I should save the $4k and get rear wheel here as well. Any regrets getting rear wheel?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsjr View Post
G80joe Thank you for the review. I'm in between getting the xDrive or rear wheel. Had an Alfa Giulia Quad rear wheel and it was a blast. Figured I should save the $4k and get rear wheel here as well. Any regrets getting rear wheel?
I’m at 2 years and 37k miles on my RWD comp. Even though xdrive wasn’t available when I got my car, I think the RWD is great. Id do it this way again.
JDUNITNOW3516.00
      10-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #18
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceage View Post
but there are places in the US where you can rip, just gotta poke around.
it's not speeding if there aren't cops around

waze and radar help, and you gotta keep your eyes peeled. there are places you can have safe fun if you scout them out. drive a route at the limit to make sure it's free of cops & cyclists, then loop back and let it rip.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 05:50 PM   #19
M4ord
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by G80joe View Post
Ok ok �� sorry I think "usless" was the wrong word. I just mean opening her up regularly and legally reminds me why I paid what I did. I was in the states for a month in August and I kept thinking to myself "I wouldn't enjoy the S58 here". I also don't mean to say it doesn't handle well. The corner exit speeds and rear diff stability are outstanding. More than outstanding, I catch myself looking at the HUD like "holy crap... HOW!" followed by hard braking to not get flashed by a polizei camera. I forgot to mention squeaky brakes. Mine don't squeak, nit regularly anyways. I attribute that to regularly braking at triple digit speeds. I have no intention of modding it at all. Only thing I've done is full Xpel stealth PPF. (New here obviously, how do I post a picture in the reply? I think the way i tried is... wrong)
I can relate. After I returned from my two assignments to Germany I sold my 96 LT4 Corvette for the same perceived reasons. There were other reasons also, but the truth is like I said before, I am having just as much fun in my G83 today in the states that I would have had in Germany, minus the cruising at 130MPH instead of the 80-90 MPH here. Most of the reason is because how everyone else in the world drives on the freeway compared to Germans. From my perspective I feel the Germans treat driving like we in America treat our right to bear arms. It shall not be infringed. Point being is Germans highly value the Autobahn and the right to drive at those speeds where it is unlimited (really not as much as you might think). They value it so much they respect the rules of the road they have established in order to not loose it. That respect is passed to each new generation. Plus it cost like 3000 Euros to get a license in Germany if I am not mistaken. Of course that is my opinion and others might not share it. Dont stress on your return....bring it back with you and enjoy it, you will.

Last edited by M4ord; 10-10-2023 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6606.00
      10-11-2023, 07:43 AM   #20
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4ord View Post
I can relate. After I returned from my two assignments to Germany I sold my 96 LT4 Corvette for the same perceived reasons. There were other reasons also, but the truth is like I said before, I am having just as much fun in my G83 today in the states that I would have had in Germany, minus the cruising at 130MPH instead of the 80-90 MPH here. Most of the reason is because how everyone else in the world drives on the freeway compared to Germans. From my perspective I feel the Germans treat driving like we in America treat our right to bear arms. It shall not be infringed. Point being is Germans highly value the Autobahn and the right to drive at those speeds where it is unlimited (really not as much as you might think). They value it so much they respect the rules of the road they have established in order to not loose it. That respect is passed to each new generation. Plus it cost like 3000 Euros to get a license in Germany if I am not mistaken. Of course that is my opinion and others might not share it. Dont stress on your return....bring it back with you and enjoy it, you will.
Agreed. I've been to Germany twice and both times within 5 seconds of leaving the airport I wanted to beat every driver I saw over the head with a German driver's license manual.

This is why we can't have nice things....
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #21
G80joe
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipsjr View Post
No regrets at all. I didn't pass on Xdrive for $ reasons. That gray one I test drive was immediately available. I was dead set on RWD only, which isn't a popular pick so I had to special order it, plus I wanted black paint. All my BMWs have been black. This is the second 3 I've ordered 'murdered out' (black paint, all black interior, black wheels)

Anyway the numb1 reason I went RWD was (don't hate me) I think an M3 should be RWD. The M4 CSL is RWD and it's the fastest M car ever at the nurburgring. I think there should be a sense of sketchiness with a BMW sport sedan. And oh boy if conditions aren't perfect is a G80 SKETCHY with TC off. I understand xdrive can be turned off but I'm not convinced it's not quite the same...sane.... knowing it's all up to me adds that sense of "better not fuck this up dude, xdrive won't save you cuz you ain't got it" lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 03:37 PM   #22
G80joe
Rep

Also, the M3 is clearly a bonkers vehicle. That said in 3 years or so I'll be trading out to a loaded X5 or 840i. I had a E70 LCI diesel.... probably the best daily drivers I've ever owned, from.a practicality and reliability perspective, very unknown and under-rated SUV.
Appreciate 0