BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics Pricing, Ordering, Leasing / Purchasing, Delivery

06-30-2022, 03:04 PM   #1
sangster
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Convertible

M Perf Exhaust & M Carbon Exterior Pkg

Seems to me the M Perf Exhaust & M Carbon Exterior Pkg both come with a carbon Diffuser. Seems redundant to me. Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:14 PM   #2
81bear
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 - FDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangster View Post
Seems to me the M Perf Exhaust & M Carbon Exterior Pkg both come with a carbon Diffuser. Seems redundant to me. Am I missing something?
The only piece that overlaps is the rear defuser and that's because the MP exhaust is center mounted so you can't reuse the original defuser that comes with the carbon package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      06-30-2022, 03:24 PM   #3
sangster
Rep

That is what i thought. Seems like if you are ordering the M Perf Exhaust which comes with its owner carbon diffuser, it's cheaper to NOT order the M Perf Carbon Exterior Pkg, but add the carbon air intakes, carbon mirror caps, and the M perf rear spoiler as individual parts.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 03:54 PM   #4
81bear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
That is what i thought. Seems like if you are ordering the M Perf Exhaust which comes with its owner carbon diffuser, it's cheaper to NOT order the M Perf Carbon Exterior Pkg, but add the carbon air intakes, carbon mirror caps, and the M perf rear spoiler as individual parts.

Thoughts?
To be honest, I don't know if it'll be cheaper to order individual parts. You'd have to price it out. Don't forget to account for installation costs as well and remember the oem diffuser has value, about $2k that you can recoup on the used market.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
sangster
Rep

You bring up a good point. If your buying a new car configured with M perf Parts, is it save to assume the dealer installs all M Perf Parts, so you will get all the standard parts that came of the base car?
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 05:54 PM   #6
GoldfishTX
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, X5 50e

Quote:
You bring up a good point. If your buying a new car configured with M perf Parts, is it save to assume the dealer installs all M Perf Parts, so you will get all the standard parts that came of the base car?
They should get installed at the VPC. Not sure if they toss your old diffuser in the trunk. My guess would be no.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2022, 07:49 PM   #7
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
If you order M Perf wheels (which are installed at the VPC) the car shows up with those wheels, and the regular wheels are kept by BMW. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the diffuser.

Personally, I would order the M Perf exhaust separately and have the dealer install. That way you have both diffusers, and can likely recoup some cost for the exhaust when selling the car.
      06-30-2022, 10:17 PM   #8
81bear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draper View Post
Quote:
If you order M Perf wheels (which are installed at the VPC) the car shows up with those wheels, and the regular wheels are kept by BMW. I'm pretty sure it's the same with the diffuser.

Personally, I would order the M Perf exhaust separately and have the dealer install. That way you have both diffusers, and can likely recoup some cost for the exhaust when selling the car.
My dealer installed the MP exhaust and I have the original rear diffuser as well.
Appreciate 2
Draper3467.00
Limegrntaln13538.00
      07-01-2022, 02:10 AM   #9
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
It would appear that if you order the carbon exterior package, that the diffuser, is in fact just wrapped back up, and put in the car. I would also be extremely pissed off if they kept the OEM wheels that came with the car, because this would be the only company on the planet, that sells accessory wheels, and keeps a $6,000 set of wheels that already belong to you.

The rear OEM diffuser is fetching about $2,100 in the classifieds. Some of them sit, for a while, but as more and more people get their cars, they are going to realize they should have ordered the OEM parts.

I ordered my OEM mirror caps from Schmeidmann, in Germany, for about $1,400 shipped. The front inlets are about $2,550 a pair, I got my OEM inlets for $1,500, shipped, but then you have to remove your own front bumper. The wing spoiler is about $775. I got mine for $450 shipped.

$4,725 if you go OEM, after the fact.

If you order the carbon exterior, for $4,700, and also get the exhaust, you can at least get $2,000 back for the rear diffuser. So, you're better off ordering it installed, and not having to source parts that are getting harder to find, and that you will have to take the car apart to replace.

Now, if you don't care about OEM carbon, you can probably get some bumper inlets for $800-$900, mirror caps for $500-$600, and a rear wing for like $500, but if you're OCD, like me, I would just source the OEM carbon. The best you're going to see with the aftermarket carbon is 8/10.

Attached: There are 2 currently for sale in the classifieds, here. One for $2,250. One of them came with the car, he also got the exhaust, so this was taken off at VPC, with no miles. The other pics, are of my car when I removed the bumper, to install my inlets, so you can see whats involved.
Attached Images

Last edited by Limegrntaln; 07-01-2022 at 02:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 07:13 AM   #10
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bear View Post
My dealer installed the MP exhaust and I have the original rear diffuser as well.
Interesting. Is the M Perf exhaust listed on your build sheet, or did you order separately through the dealer?
      07-01-2022, 07:58 AM   #11
sangster
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Is the M Perf exhaust listed on your build sheet, or did you order separately through the dealer?

All M Perf parts are listed on the build sheet. Exhaust, side skirts, rea winglets etc.,
Appreciate 1
Draper3467.00
      07-01-2022, 08:19 AM   #12
sangster
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
It would appear that if you order the carbon exterior package, that the diffuser, is in fact just wrapped back up, and put in the car.

if you're OCD, like me, I would just source the OEM carbon.
Glad to hear the M parts get installed at the VPC. I will insist with my dealer that all the parts replaced are returned to me.

I would not trust my dealership with anything. I've been to all the dealers in the Atlanta, GA area and the only word that comes to mind to describe the sale and/or service experience is INCOMPETENCY.

I won't get started on all the screw-ups from the dealerships here. But, let's say, some can't even put an order in right when i build the order form with the right codes and give it to them.

BMW Dealerships and the sales experience are no longer what they were... The sales function needs to be replaced by tech. get the incompetent people out of the process, replace with a machine. It's high-time. Its way over due. There is no value when you are dealing with a sales person that doesn't know what they don't know.
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13538.00
      07-01-2022, 11:31 AM   #13
81bear
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know. I purchased my car as a demo from the dealership so it was on my BofS but listed as dealer additions along with all the MP carbon and suspension work. They did build the installation into the price of the vehicle so I believe it was order separately. Fitment is perfect so unless port install is free of charge I'd order separately and have a shop install and resell the old diffuser to offset install costs.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #14
Limegrntaln
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 DG/BLk xDrive M4C Wk 34

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know. I purchased my car as a demo from the dealership so it was on my BofS but listed as dealer additions along with all the MP carbon and suspension work. They did build the installation into the price of the vehicle so I believe it was order separately. Fitment is perfect so unless port install is free of charge I'd order separately and have a shop install and resell the old diffuser to offset install costs.
If you order the M Performance parts with the car, they are port installed, for free.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 11:49 PM   #15
jmg2069
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5, Ford Raptor and BMW M4

Quote:
Quote:

Is it cheaper to do it upfront or same cost? Seems like it would be wise to do it after to keep the original parts
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 12:18 AM   #16
50M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: m3

To those who have installed the MPE on the G8x - do you feel it was worth it? Hard to tell from videos.

Does it sound better? - incrementally or noticeably?
Appreciate 0