BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

View Poll Results: How old are you with your G8X?
16-23 176 31.71%
24-35 132 23.78%
36-43 129 23.24%
44-50 48 8.65%
50+ 70 12.61%
Voters: 555. You may not vote on this poll

02-20-2023, 09:55 PM   #177
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I don't own my house since I'm still paying off my mortgage. That's okay, since I have the title, and I "own" the appreciation, which is currently beating the interest and tax.

As for cars, I've owned and leased a multitude, with different cars being better off leased and others owned, title in hand. I've only owned 2 BMWs out of the 9 I've had the pleasure of parking in my garage. I'd say I only regret not owning one of them, but the others, I came out on top with great lease rates and the ability to get in and out easily. They might not have always been the best financial decision, but then again, the best and most memorable moments in my life weren't defined by how financially practical they were. It's usually quite the opposite.
My definition of owning the "title" is if your income is sustaining your livelihood in the home that you are physically occupying. Eg, your income is actively going towards the mortgage repayments of the home that you are living in. Even though the bank has the security interest in the property, you are entitled to the "title" of the home.

In the situation where you own properties and renting them out so that the rental income will cover for the mortgage repayments, those properties are not considered part of your "networth" until they are fully paid off after the loan term has finished.

I own 3 other properties (collectively worth about 4.2 mill AUD) and renting them out. I won't ever considering having title to those properties until they are paid off after my 20-25 year loan terms are over. Under my definition, I have legal title to the house that my wife and I are occupying at the moment and using our income to repay the mortgage repayments together.

Once I am well into my 40s and 50s, the properties are paid off, and hopefully the properties have skyrocketed, I will sell them all and buy a Bugatti Chiron and Porsche 918 Spyder. Probably wont afford it then because the Chiron and 918 Spyder would be at least double the price it is today! But a man has got to have goals
Appreciate 1
Aalfred2622.00
      02-20-2023, 10:33 PM   #178
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Its always fascinating to see people be so forthcoming about their personal financial status on a forum full of strangers.
Appreciate 3
jmg18774.50
Vinnrox2503012.50
luckylingy3235.00
      02-21-2023, 07:06 AM   #179
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
My definition of owning the "title" is if your income is sustaining your livelihood in the home that you are physically occupying. Eg, your income is actively going towards the mortgage repayments of the home that you are living in. Even though the bank has the security interest in the property, you are entitled to the "title" of the home.
I am admittedly not an expert in Australian Property Law, but at least in the US this isn't even close to the definition of owning the title. That requires there to be no liens on the property. You generally will know if you own the title, because the actual deed (title) of the property will be in your physical possession.

If it is possible for circumstances to arise (loss of source of income, etc) that would result in a bank evicting you from your home, you do not own the title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE7EN335 View Post
In the situation where you own properties and renting them out so that the rental income will cover for the mortgage repayments, those properties are not considered part of your "networth" until they are fully paid off after the loan term has finished.
This also conflicts with the actual definition of net worth, which is an accounting term with an exact meaning. Net worth is literally total assets minus total liabilities. So any given rental property's contribution to your overall net worth is its market value, minus the remaining amount of any mortgage. Essentially whatever equity you have in the property; or put another way, the cash you would walk away with if you sold the property and used the proceeds to pay off the mortgage.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 06:25 AM   #180
SE7EN335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 XDrive, 2023 IX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 View Post
I am admittedly not an expert in Australian Property Law, but at least in the US this isn't even close to the definition of owning the title. That requires there to be no liens on the property. You generally will know if you own the title, because the actual deed (title) of the property will be in your physical possession.

If it is possible for circumstances to arise (loss of source of income, etc) that would result in a bank evicting you from your home, you do not own the title.

This also conflicts with the actual definition of net worth, which is an accounting term with an exact meaning. Net worth is literally total assets minus total liabilities. So any given rental property's contribution to your overall net worth is its market value, minus the remaining amount of any mortgage. Essentially whatever equity you have in the property; or put another way, the cash you would walk away with if you sold the property and used the proceeds to pay off the mortgage.
I agree on all your points. Here in Australia, our Torrens Title system makes it that the bank owns the "title" until the mortgage is paid off. But when I have discussions with people, I am always a firm believer that the property that you are physically occupying should be counted as part of your networth, whether you paid off the property or not. If you lose the property due to loss of income, the net asset proceeds (assets minus liabilities) from the property is added to your networth. If there is no such event, I believe the whole property should be part of your networth because you are actively using your labour income to pay off the mortgage.

The properties that you have bought with mortgages from the bank, and using rental income to pay it off on whatever circumstance, negative or positive gearing, should not be counted as part of your networth until you have sold the property, minus whatever you owe the bank.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 07:06 AM   #181
Luk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2007 model

lots of rich kids
Appreciate 2
g80z674.50
madpistol1747.50
      02-22-2023, 07:36 PM   #182
luckylingy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Its always fascinating to see people be so forthcoming about their personal financial status on a forum full of strangers.
.. or, more broadly, how much of our lives we devote to impressing people we don't like -- or even know -- in working to earn income to pay for goods and services that exceed our basic needs. Mind you, a G8x (or any BMW, for that matter) goes way beyond basic transportation. But I own one for how it makes me feel, more so than any image it projects to other drivers.

Last edited by luckylingy; 02-22-2023 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2023, 08:34 PM   #183
MichaelB1969
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G80 Base SSG/Fiona

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
But I own one for how it makes me feel, more so than any image it projects to other drivers.
Me too, or at least me too once mine is produced, transported, transported again, shipped, transported, and transported yet again. Something like that.

That said, I can't say the same for when I was younger. I think when I was in my 20's and 30's, it was about the image as much as anything else. That started to change in my 40's. And in my 50's, it's all about how it makes me feel.
Appreciate 1
BuckysBMW171.50
      02-22-2023, 09:59 PM   #184
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Biggest ownership group is 16-23 section 😂

Did I wander into the trust fund baby section of bimmerpost , no wonder they absolutely adore the design, half of them have their own pronouns
Appreciate 2
Vinnrox2503012.50
somer972.00
      02-22-2023, 10:59 PM   #185
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylingy View Post
.. or, more broadly, how much of our lives we devote to impressing people we don't like -- or even know -- in working to earn income to pay for goods and services that exceed our basic needs. Mind you, a G8x (or any BMW, for that matter) goes way beyond basic transportation. But I own one for how it makes me feel, more so than any image it projects to other drivers.
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 10:47 AM   #186
Higgs Boson
In the Details
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2020 AMG GTR  [0.00]
2022 R8 Quattro Spyder  [0.00]
2023 X5M50  [0.00]
2023 718 Spyder  [0.00]
2024 Silverado  [0.00]
2024 Civic Type R  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIn4Secs View Post
Biggest ownership group is 16-23 section ��

Did I wander into the trust fund baby section of bimmerpost , no wonder they absolutely adore the design, half of them have their own pronouns
Pretty sure that's called tainted results, lol. Not exactly a controlled and monitored poll.

I got my license in 1995 and my buddy and I said if either of us ever won the lottery we would buy each other M3s. Neither of us played it once and BMWs quickly fell off our radars until, for me, I bought a 2019 M5 Comp and when the G80 came out I was appalled at the grill, lol. Saw one in person and thought, hey it actually looks kinda cool.....then I bought a G82 and it was super good, now I really like them.

I even have a couple kids and a real natural born female wife!! Amazing! To be honest, never even seen a trans around here, I'd imagine the surgery wouldn't hold up riding all these horses we got for gittin around.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 11:02 AM   #187
Habber
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 2024 Brooklyn Grey SOLD

Garage List
  [9.83]
Let’s check back in 6 months and see the numbers.

Not sure how long grandma will be able to afford her grandsons insurance
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2023, 11:44 AM   #188
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilla View Post
No one is really doxxing themselves, not to mention why would anyone here care. Don't upload your SS and W2 and you're good.
Exactly, why would anyone on here care.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 01:02 PM   #189
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Sorry I didn't go through all 9 pages of the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by G80.Flame View Post
not gonna lie I don't understand why you older folks are salty as hell lol. We should all be happy to be able to even own this car regardless of age. Everyone cost of living , situation and lifestyle is different
We're jealous, not salty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilla View Post
To play devil's advocate, we (and by we I mean the top 5% of earners in our age bracket) can afford cool cars at a young age sure, but buying a house is a pipedream for most. Whereas just 50 years ago a single dude with a family could own a suburban home w/ a stay-at-home wife and kids on a regular salary.
How true. In my 20s, my first priority was buying a house. Then buying a second house. Then once I started making decent money and had the student loan paid-off, and 3 months living expenses in the bank, I started buying "cool" cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzanerazzurri View Post
Exactly, why would anyone on here care.
Yeah, we're all a bunch of poseurs anyway.

The kid in the supply department here at work was quizzing me this morning, "so how many cars do you have, exactly?" and when I tell him that I have two BMWs, he's like, "why"?

It's a valid question from someone who makes (I guess) less than $40K a year and lives at home. He's a "kid" because he's under 40. LOL

My answer is that each has it's purpose, one a comfortable DD and the other a track monster. And since I actually go to the track, I'm hopefully not in that poseur category.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0