BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #111
Custom Install
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual

Garage List
2022 G82 XC   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
It was a stupid comment - my wife is a safer driver than me so I guess I shouldn't assume. I meant that the driver likely didn't see the car in rear view and was smaller so possibly overly focused on rear mirror…. forgot to check side mirrors, but you are all right, anyone could make that error of course. Forgive me?

There is good reason why females insurance rates are lower!
If your wife forgives you, we do to 😊
G82 M4 Comp X-Drive Individual FDG
Appreciate 1
RoGo330i142.50
      10-04-2022, 04:07 PM   #112
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPower9525 View Post
Getting my M3 has been a fun, long process and I'm sure most of us can relate! After specing the car out and putting down a deposit in November of '21. To then patiently waiting while my build week got pushed further and further back. To then finally getting a July 27 Build date and updated to a '23 model year. To then see it fly through the build process and wait in Bremerhaven for only a few weeks until the car was loaded on the Liberty to make it's voyage to New York in about a month. To the experience of pick up my first brand new M car from the dealer(shout out BMW of Tenafly), winning the tire lottery. Driving it a few miles very slowly to drop it of at Auto Polishing Center in Waldwick NJ, they did a fantastic job on the stealth PPF, Ceramic coating and tints. To then picking up the car fully PPF'd, looking SOOOOO DAMN GOOD and ready to go. To then have the car at home for less than a week until my neighbor was backing up, wasn't paying attention to where he was going and hit my parked car.

The good news is my neighbor is taking full responsibility for it so I don't have to come out of pocket to fix it. It looks like its going to need a new fender and door and most likely side skirt as the clips snapped off the fender.

I plan to keep the car long term so this isn't a flipper question. I bought and financed the car and payed under MSRP, again thank you BMW of Tenafly. I have Ultimate Care + for 6 years/100K miles and all the tire and wheel insurances ect.

We all know that cars with accident histories sell for less than cars with clean titles and given that this car will have an accident on its history, even though it wasn't a serious accident, I assume it will be worth less. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is there any way of being fairly compensated from the insurance company for the loss in value of the car due to this accident?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of the accident damage and some pictures when I picked it up fresh from APC after it got PPF'd
That sucks man. If it makes you feel better, I waited 7 months for my car only to have it rear ended by a moron in a massive truck. Luckily no frame damage but still a major bummer. Wishing you a quick and easy repair!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #113
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Install View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
It was a stupid comment - my wife is a safer driver than me so I guess I shouldn't assume. I meant that the driver likely didn't see the car in rear view and was smaller so possibly overly focused on rear mirror…. forgot to check side mirrors, but you are all right, anyone could make that error of course. Forgive me?

There is good reason why females insurance rates are lower!
If your wife forgives you, we do to 😊
His wife has no choice, we do.

Sincerely,
Female licensed driver that doesn't back into things due to gender assigned at birth.
      10-04-2022, 06:15 PM   #114
M4CompConv/X7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Comp Conv & BMW X7

[QUOTE=Ratius;29399488]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
Was it alway 80% or percentage went up after vehicle prices skyrocketed? (Not the USA citizen asking)
My insurance used to apply this math. If the amount of damage, plus the current salvage value exceeds 80% of the book value of the vehicle, it is TOTALED.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:01 PM   #115
Moupe
Monobloc
United_States
Rep
Drives: '02 M Coupe - '19 F31 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
Looks like frozen black
He stated it was Black Sapphire wrapped with Xpel Stealth.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2022, 09:09 PM   #116
Hxngs
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
2018 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moupe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
Looks like frozen black
He stated it was Black Sapphire wrapped with Xpel Stealth.
Ahhh. Shouldn't be as bad then
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 09:13 PM   #117
Vivalamatt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 540 and 2021 BMW X5

Ouuff I know the feeling all to well. Had an Audi driver run a stop sign and T-bone my two month old 5 series. Spent over a month at the body shop. Devastated wasn't even the word to describe it. However, it was a lease so I really didn't give too much thought about the CarFax at that time.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #118
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deceptiv.m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limegrntaln View Post
We all really know what happened, OP. He strikes, again.
Oh my god, so right.

You know after 20 years of owning cars, I think I've learned the wisdom of every possible way a car can get fucked up by someone. We should almost create a sticky LOL.

Here' what I experienced or have heard of:

-regular old accident
-someone with an electrical device or even a bike just running into your car or swiping across it
-road rage
-hitting mirror through drive through
-standard car dent from doors, shopping carts
-Landscapers with leaf blow metal backpacks (I had to learn this one first hand on my 135i, literally saw some idiot get into a crevice and back his blower motor into my door). This happened to me at work, everytime I'd hear them turn on their motors I'd move my car to where they had finished already.
-Someone backing up into your car, whether in traffic, at a drive through, or just having your car parked.
-Bird or bug splatter etching clear coat
-Car falling or slipping off a lift (household or shop)
-Once etched my clearcoat on my 335i by leaving an adhesive remover can on the trunk for too long, left an etch in the clear coat (wtf?) when installing a spoiler
-making sure items attached to garage ceiling are secure and no items that can tip over are close enough to tip onto the car
-legit true story, I once left my civic si parked in basically an empty apartment parking lot to see a friend and when I came outside my car had 30+ little handprints, turns out my car was a "tag station" for kids playing tag I had a bunch of minor dents I had to get removed

I can probably think of a few more but over the years I've developed a "spidey sense" for this shit. IF i leave my car parked anywhere I analyze how and what angles my car can get hit just sitting there parked and try to mitigate the risk as much as possible
"I can probably think of a few more but over the years I've developed a "spidey sense" for this shit. IF i leave my car parked anywhere I analyze how and what angles my car can get hit just sitting there parked and try to mitigate the risk as much as possible."

I do this. Every. Single. Time.

(Even though I lease).
      10-04-2022, 10:34 PM   #119
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWonlyZone View Post
I know a solution to DV on expensive cars.. Never buy one, rent it for 36 months and get a new one at the end.

Each of us has there own perspective in the own vs lease debate, but this thread is clearly the #1 reason leasing is a always the better option on cars like this. Someone hits my new M5.. I'll get it fixed and let BMW deal with it in 35 months. Not my problem. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the car can ever been certified by BMW if it's had body work/been painted.

NJ is a no fault state, meaning, that you have to submit any claim/damage on your car to your own insurance company, regardless of fault, and they will in turn subrograte against the neighbor's insurance co.

I will agree with others, though, that it's a beautiful car and will be again after the work is done. Good luck with it.
+1

I have made this point on the forum so many times. This reason in and of itself is one of the strongest to lease.
      10-06-2022, 12:43 PM   #120
MPower9525
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black 23 M3 Comp XDrive

Update to the Saga: The car got inspected by insurance and they estimated about $8K worth of damage done. + getting it re-wrapped and ceramic coated it's like $11K of damage. We're going through insurance needless to say.

For those of you who were wondering how my car was hit and "why it was parked on the street". I live in a condo building, 99% of the time the car is parked in my personal garage or when I'm at work in my lot at my office, but that day it was parked in the loading/unloading area of the building as my wife and I we're going away for the weekend. It was literally parked for 2 min. And that was enough time for someone to not pay attention and to back in to it. And there's about 40-50 feet from the loading unloading zone to the nearest spot, this guy was clearly on his phone not paying attention and just backing up and hit it.
Appreciate 3
      10-06-2022, 05:31 PM   #121
DO444
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340i

Heartbreaking,
Maybe I’ll just never park.

I’ll just drive around and then come home.
Hmm, maybe I’ll just sit in it inside the garage and make vehicle sounds, “vroooom”

Seriously though, I do feel for you.
That’s a painful experience I hope I don’t have to suffer.
My lizard brain always kinda wonders if there are people out there who see a nice car and want to hit it on purpose.

I bet there are.
Appreciate 4
Draper3460.50
Joachim328.00
      10-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #122
Alvinmark12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 G82

My wife's X5 was parked in the street for 5 minutes. The neighbor has 4 kids in a big SUV and bam. Took off the rear bumper. Lucky she paid cash to fix it. I am a big fan of leasing for this reason. I bought my M4 because of the times we are in. I worry every time I drive it. People suck.
Appreciate 3
DNYC1919478.00
Surgx572.50
      10-06-2022, 10:37 PM   #123
Greer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Competition

To OP:

Thanks for the update on your car and the background circumstances of what happened. I wish you well and safe travels.
2014 F10 M5 Competition
2003 E39 M5
Appreciate 2
      10-07-2022, 07:19 AM   #124
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
+1

I have made this point on the forum so many times. This reason in and of itself is one of the strongest to lease.
ya i was in the leasing makes sense camp when BMWs leased very well. Now they're terrible to lease; finance and lease payments are very similar. I remember about ten years ago it wasn't heard to lease a BMW for 1% of the MSRP with no money down; just inception fees. I leased a $80K 2013 550i for $740/month with nothing down but drive off fees. Those days are long gone.
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 12:02 PM   #125
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
+1

ya i was in the leasing makes sense camp when BMWs leased very well. Now they're terrible to lease; finance and lease payments are very similar. I remember about ten years ago it wasn't heard to lease a BMW for 1% of the MSRP with no money down; just inception fees. I leased a $80K 2013 550i for $740/month with nothing down but drive off fees. Those days are long gone.
That is a fair and correct point. A lot of those that argue in favor of leasing however are not necessarily saying it's better because it costs less. We all concede that leasing is more expensive now than it was in the past. I got 12% off MSRP when I leased my first M5 exactly three years ago.

Even if it's more expensive, leasing still has its advantages (one of the big ones being what was discussed further above — "rent" the car from BMW and give it back then easily in three years for something new. Do you pay a premium for that? Of course. It's a value proposition, not bottom line dollar amount.
      10-08-2022, 09:31 PM   #126
Surgx5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5

Heartbreaking. I thought getting rear ended 3 weeks after getting my X5 was bad. Can't have anything nice I guess. At least nobody was hurt.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #127
LLT
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp xDrive

Very sorry to hear your story and I would be super super mad if it happened to me. I ordered my M4 from BMW of Tenafly this Apr and will pick it up next week. Can you let me know how you get the below MSRP deal 🤔? I am going to finance it too. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #128
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Getting my M3 has been a fun, long process and I'm sure most of us can relate! After specing the car out and putting down a deposit in November of '21. To then patiently waiting while my build week got pushed further and further back. To then finally getting a July 27 Build date and updated to a '23 model year. To then see it fly through the build process and wait in Bremerhaven for only a few weeks until the car was loaded on the Liberty to make it's voyage to New York in about a month. To the experience of pick up my first brand new M car from the dealer(shout out BMW of Tenafly), winning the tire lottery. Driving it a few miles very slowly to drop it of at Auto Polishing Center in Waldwick NJ, they did a fantastic job on the stealth PPF, Ceramic coating and tints. To then picking up the car fully PPF'd, looking SOOOOO DAMN GOOD and ready to go. To then have the car at home for less than a week until my neighbor was backing up, wasn't paying attention to where he was going and hit my parked car.

The good news is my neighbor is taking full responsibility for it so I don't have to come out of pocket to fix it. It looks like its going to need a new fender and door and most likely side skirt as the clips snapped off the fender.

I plan to keep the car long term so this isn't a flipper question. I bought and financed the car and payed under MSRP, again thank you BMW of Tenafly. I have Ultimate Care + for 6 years/100K miles and all the tire and wheel insurances ect.

We all know that cars with accident histories sell for less than cars with clean titles and given that this car will have an accident on its history, even though it wasn't a serious accident, I assume it will be worth less. Has anyone been in this situation before? Is there any way of being fairly compensated from the insurance company for the loss in value of the car due to this accident?

Thanks in advance!

Here are some pictures of the accident damage and some pictures when I picked it up fresh from APC after it got PPF'd
I just wanted to give you an update my g80
I drove it wrecked from July 4 to Aug 29
It's been in the shop since the beginning of September till October 20th I hope to have it back Friday or Monday it's at bmw getting the sensors relearned and alignment done.

I talked to a couple friends sales and finance managers and a lawyer and from everything I've gathered my diminished value is going to be somewhere around 16,725 dollars

If I traded in next week after the vehicle is fixed that's what I would loose on the trade from a accident vs clean carfax/auto check
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2022, 07:50 PM   #129
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
That is the general problem with dark matt paints. Car is very often invisible when parked. Anyway I'm very sorry to see this. I hope this will be fixed perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 01:08 AM   #130
MPower9525
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black 23 M3 Comp XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSAPPE92 View Post
It's been in the shop since the beginning of September till October 20th I hope to have it back Friday or Monday it's at bmw getting the sensors relearned and alignment done.

I talked to a couple friends sales and finance managers and a lawyer and from everything I've gathered my diminished value is going to be somewhere around 16,725 dollars

If I traded in next week after the vehicle is fixed that's what I would loose on the trade from a accident vs clean carfax/auto check

Did you higher a lawyer to advocate to the insurance company for you?
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2022, 03:41 PM   #131
BLKSAPPE92
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G80 Sao Paulo Yellow

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Did you higher a lawyer to advocate to the insurance company for you?
I have one I've been talking to on standby. I'm only going to hire a lawyer if they low ball me in the next couple of days. I submitted my Diminution value 10/28/22.

I honestly was willing to settle for around 10% around 9-10k but I ended up doing a lot more research and found our cars are around 15% so about 14-17k depending on options.

I have heard insurance will try to pay no more than 10% max so I'm sure it will be a fight but who knows
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 04:13 PM   #132
Bimmerfun82
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3, X7, MY

Garage List
24 BMW M3  [10.00]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
I have one I've been talking to on standby. I'm only going to hire a lawyer if they low ball me in the next couple of days. I submitted my Diminution value 10/28/22.

I honestly was willing to settle for around 10% around 9-10k but I ended up doing a lot more research and found our cars are around 15% so about 14-17k depending on options.

I have heard insurance will try to pay no more than 10% max so I'm sure it will be a fight but who knows
What a mess... so sorry for what you're going through
Appreciate 0