BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-03-2021, 12:50 PM   #23
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep
Drives: 2021 M4 Isle of Man Green

I just used a non pilot drilling wood screw, about 2 inches long. If you use too long of a screw you will more than likely bind up on the tunnel, it's tight. I had it all done in 20 minutes or so.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 01:46 PM   #24
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
I just used a non pilot drilling wood screw, about 2 inches long. If you use too long of a screw you will more than likely bind up on the tunnel, it's tight. I had it all done in 20 minutes or so.
Gotcha. Thanks for the extra tips.
Must be so much better like with any CDV delete
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #25
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Gotcha. Thanks for the extra tips.
Must be so much better like with any CDV delete
A friend of mine said that it is immediately noticeable in a way that it's normal. Actuates like you'd expect now.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:13 PM   #26
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by moproblems View Post
A friend of mine said that it is immediately noticeable in a way that it's normal. Actuates like you'd expect now.
Wait, a friend? Did you not do this on your car? I'd plan to do this as soon as I got the car, but hoping to hear more positive feedback like this.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #27
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
Wait, a friend? Did you not do this on your car? I'd plan to do this as soon as I got the car, but hoping to hear more positive feedback like this.
No I did it on my own car, but I had him verify that it wasn't just placebo. He constantly complained about the clutch feel when I'd have him drive it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #28
JoshuaevansF87
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I feel stupid to ask but what is a CDV delete and what's the benefits?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #29
Tall Tom Cruise
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaevansF87 View Post
+1... also want to know if this does anything to smooth out the super clunky 1-2 shift
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 12:16 PM   #30
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaevansF87 View Post
Wikipedia summarizes it pretty well.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_delay_valve

Bottom line is that the restriction limits how fast the clutch engages. Makes it impossible to shift as fast as you want to during spirited driving. If you're trying to shift very quickly and go WOT in the next gear, you drop the clutch and imediately put gas pedal to the floor... But the damn CDV is causing the clutch to slowly engage instead of grabbing right away, so you end up slipping the cutch. It's exacerbated the more power the car makes. To avoid that, you basically have to shift slowly on purpose, which sucks. The fact the clutch engagement rate is governed by the CDV instead of your left foot also makes it feel awkward even driving casually. Removing the CDV from my 2009 135i was the very first mod I did after 6 months of not understanding why I couldn't shift fast without slipping the clutch or bogging the engine. I came from a mustang that had no such issue. Night and day difference, best $20 spent on that car.
Appreciate 4
      10-08-2021, 11:32 PM   #31
tydntydj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indo Rider View Post
I couldn't shift fast without slipping the clutch or bogging the engine.
This is how I'm shifting from 1 to 2, hoping I can get this done this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 06:15 PM   #32
tydntydj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2019 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Alright I went in and removed it today. The procedure is almost exactly the same as the previous gen. I followed this video and everything was almost identical:

Some things I noticed:

1. The bolt holding the line to the transmission is a pain in the ass to remove. I'm pretty sure you don't need to remove this bolt (I didn't).
2. The clutch feels a little lighter, but I'm pretty sure I fully bled the line. I used a pressure bleeder, opened the bleed nipple, and pumped the clutch for 20-30 minutes. A bit of fluid came out. When I took it out to drive, I didn't notice any delays in engagement like other people have said when the line has air bubbles.
3. The engagement is much more direct when driving at low speeds. Before removing the CDV, when I let off the clutch pedal, the clutch doesn't always bite after the same amount of time.
Appreciate 2
      10-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #33
moproblems
Beware of cheap bait!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydntydj View Post
Alright I went in and removed it today. The procedure is almost exactly the same as the previous gen. I followed this video and everything was almost identical:

Some things I noticed:

1. The bolt holding the line to the transmission is a pain in the ass to remove. I'm pretty sure you don't need to remove this bolt (I didn't).
2. The clutch feels a little lighter, but I'm pretty sure I fully bled the line. I used a pressure bleeder, opened the bleed nipple, and pumped the clutch for 20-30 minutes. A bit of fluid came out. When I took it out to drive, I didn't notice any delays in engagement like other people have said when the line has air bubbles.
3. The engagement is much more direct when driving at low speeds. Before removing the CDV, when I let off the clutch pedal, the clutch doesn't always bite after the same amount of time.
You don't want to open the nipple then pump you want to pump hold it to the floor and have somebody else open the nipple until you hear the clutch release then close. If it worked out fine for you that' s fine but for people in the future don't do that. Make sure you top off with pentosin dot4lv, can be had at your local autozone.

My pedal is easier to actuate afterwards, however.

[EDIT] also the nipple on the slave is extremely strange, for me it took 2 or 3 full rotations to allow fluid flow, unlike a caliper where you crack it and it's wide open.
Appreciate 2
mattssi876.00
      10-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #34
MTM3
mt4life
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tydntydj View Post

Some things I noticed:

Fantastic!
Doing this the first weekend after the car arrives
Appreciate 3
Jaguar1051.00
ChrisM41626.00
262Hou49.00
      11-06-2021, 02:06 PM   #35
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Doing the CDV delete now. Do you remove both the metal and plastic parts? Confirmed that they both need to be removed. Much better shifting as described above. Thanks to moproblems
Attached Images

Last edited by mzcp; 11-06-2021 at 03:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 06:34 PM   #36
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

It was suggested on another thread that you could do a CDV Delete by replacing the Clutch Slave Cylinder with one from an E9x M3. That apparently worked for F8x M3's, and it was speculated/assumed that would work for G8x.

Has anyone tried that method? I sent the above video to a local shop, and they asked if I could just provide that part and they would swap them, versus taking the CDV out of the existing one.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 08:23 PM   #37
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Pete View Post
It was suggested on another thread that you could do a CDV Delete by replacing the Clutch Slave Cylinder with one from an E9x M3. That apparently worked for F8x M3's, and it was speculated/assumed that would work for G8x.

Has anyone tried that method? I sent the above video to a local shop, and they asked if I could just provide that part and they would swap them, versus taking the CDV out of the existing one.

Thanks in advance!
Part Number 21526785964. I don't know if anyone swapped this on G8X. I did the CDV delete on mine
Appreciate 1
IL Pete133.50
      02-06-2022, 07:50 AM   #38
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Part Number 21526785964. I don't know if anyone swapped this on G8X. I did the CDV delete on mine
Visually the parts seem to look identical. Wonder if the CDV is the only difference?
      02-06-2022, 08:31 AM   #39
Flying05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Please don't flame me for this as it's probably a dumb question, but could this be done by a dealer? Or I assume if anything just an Indy? Cost to do?
      02-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #40
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying05 View Post
Please don't flame me for this as it's probably a dumb question, but could this be done by a dealer? Or I assume if anything just an Indy? Cost to do?
Any "bmw/German" shop will get it done for you.
Appreciate 1
Flying051305.50
      02-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #41
IL Pete
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, G87 M2 coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzcp View Post
Update here - I used this part, had a local independent shop swap them, and it worked fine. (Thank you, mzcp!)

It does improve the shifting feel all around, everything is much more "direct" feeling now.

It does NOT fully resolve the awkward 1-2 shift. That is still there to some degree, but I think it does help nailing that a bit easier.

Between the BMS Clutch Stop, the CDV Delete and getting used to it, I miss the 1-2 shift now maybe 1 to 2 times in 10 versus previously 5 to 7 of 10, when I first got the car. And when I do miss it, it is not as badly.

I do plan to do the Auto Solutions SSK, when that becomes available.

The other issue I have had is that first gear is so short relative to my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, I have had a hard time not hitting the rev limiter hard. But I am getting used to that more so now. I don't use the Heads-Up Display, but I always use M Mode, and I find the Shift Lights to be very helpful, you see them in your downwards peripheral vision. I can now more so nail the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 near redline, and that is great fun, especially in MDM mode or with M Traction Control on.

I am now pretty convinced that the Manual version of this car is best for me, I think I would get bored with the Comp with the Automatic, very quickly.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #42
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Update here - I used this part, had a local independent shop swap them, and it worked fine. (Thank you, mzcp!)

It does improve the shifting feel all around, everything is much more "direct" feeling now.

It does NOT fully resolve the awkward 1-2 shift. That is still there to some degree, but I think it does help nailing that a bit easier.

Between the BMS Clutch Stop, the CDV Delete and getting used to it, I miss the 1-2 shift now maybe 1 to 2 times in 10 versus previously 5 to 7 of 10, when I first got the car. And when I do miss it, it is not as badly.

I do plan to do the Auto Solutions SSK, when that becomes available.

The other issue I have had is that first gear is so short relative to my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0, I have had a hard time not hitting the rev limiter hard. But I am getting used to that more so now. I don't use the Heads-Up Display, but I always use M Mode, and I find the Shift Lights to be very helpful, you see them in your downwards peripheral vision. I can now more so nail the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 near redline, and that is great fun, especially in MDM mode or with M Traction Control on.

I am now pretty convinced that the Manual version of this car is best for me, I think I would get bored with the Comp with the Automatic, very quickly.
Glad it worked out for you. I always use Sport M mode and glance at the shifting lights and sound for shifting gears
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #43
BMWnation
BMWnation
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, 535, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM3 View Post
Fantastic!
Doing this the first weekend after the car arrives
I took the plunge and did the CDV delete today on my 300 miles M4. I was a bit unsure, but oh man. I thought the car was easy to drive as is, but the CDV delete
makes shifting easier, clutch engages smoother. This has to be one of the easiest manual to drive. The car should of came this way.

Dave
Appreciate 2
mzcp2688.50
mathys202.50
      04-12-2022, 08:44 PM   #44
Indo Rider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnation View Post
I took the plunge and did the CDV delete today on my 300 miles M4. I was a bit unsure, but oh man. I thought the car was easy to drive as is, but the CDV delete
makes shifting easier, clutch engages smoother. This has to be one of the easiest manual to drive. The car should of came this way.

Dave
Nice. Did you swap the whole assembly or take it apart to remove the restriction? I need to get on this myself but haven't decided which way to go.
Appreciate 0